closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who do you blame for making you a WIS?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Re: Who do you blame for making you a WIS?

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia
    It's all my Dad's fault...
    He worked as a manager of Watches Of Switzerland when I was little, then area manager of Collingwoods in the 80's / early 90's.

Spent many a weekend surrounded by some incredibly expensive watches. I loved playing around with old cases and his Bergeon tools, adjusting bits of bracelet etc.

Now he wears a bog standard CASIO :roll:
    And what do you wear?

john
    Daily beater is a SEIKO Sumo... got my first Breitling coming tomorrow :D

only TZ-Uk!

it really got out of control after joining this place! :?

Truth be told, I only have myself to blame. However SWMBO thinks she is partly to be blame as it all started a few Easters ago here.

SWMBO was running an errand to the bank for her mother who is housebound. I was happily reading the paper upstairs whence I was summoned to examine the contents of a safety deposit box in the basement. Two watches belonging to her father had been sitting there for close to thirty years and, would I like them? Given that he was in the war I began to imagine all kind of military connections and the ensuing 3 months of online research eventually brought me here (and to a lesser extent MWR). The rest is history but it's always handy that she thinks that she is partly to blame :lol:.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master

I think it is in part my Mum but mainly me. My Mother created the magpie in me, well she passed the gene on I reckon but I elected to manifest the inner Magpie's desire for watches over any other form of jewellery.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by redmond
    Me too Chose my first half-decent watch (Seiko SKX031) on the basis that it was superficially similar to a Sub.

I think it goes back to my school days at 13 or 14, when my parents bought me a Timex watch. That was my first real watch and can still remember the excitement getting it for Xmas - remember the advert? "Ring the bells with Xmas Timex, Ticka Ticka Timex tra la la" :D something like that anyway. I then used a G Shock or similar when I joined the Police at 16.
    Gone on from there since.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by oldpunq
    only TZ-Uk!

it really got out of control after joining this place! :?
    +1

Myself.....

It started a long time ago, when I purchased a speedmaster reduced, maybe in the early 1990s....

And then I found about the Dreadnought, and discover TZ-UK......

And then...............................

I blame me. I like anything mechanical with purpose.

I also like to on time for meetings hence like accurate time pieces.

However recently found out my Dad has a few nice watches hidden in his safe. So maybe its down to him.

Initially Sean Connery in Dr No.
    Remember seeing it as a kid and always wanted a Sub after that.
    So bought one with my wages from my first 'real' job, never looked back.
    Also my dad, who always said you're not a man until you have a 'real' (Swiss auto) watch

Journeyman

I think it was because of the old lady that used to babysit me and my siblings when we were kids.She had some Japanese digital watch with a little light inside.I loved that feature.That and my grandfather who used to wear his golden Omega manual wind all of the time.

Ain't no fool to blame but the fool typing this.
    That said I always, always liked watches - Grandad's pocket watch, the first digitals, stop watches on sports days, chronographs on pilots, those close ups in old war films especially worked their magic on me.
    I searched and hunted down cheapos that appealed - all without real understanding. It wasnt until I had some cash, some time and started visting watch fairs that my eyes were truly opened. About that time Timefactors started to trade on the interenet and I've learned more here, been inspired more and spent more through here than anywhere else, so I retract my first statement and blame Eddie - cheers mate :wink:
    Gray

Master

Partly myself and partly a member of PH.

I sort of ventured in to the watch forum there and saw the 'what watch for £50?' thread. After that I bought a Parnis (which I recently sold on here) and started browsing the watch sub-forum more and more often.

Then I saw this thread;

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... t%2E&mid=0

I've been hooked ever since and whenever I feel as though I'm becoming disinterested in watches I only need to spend 2 minutes on that thread to re-ignite my interest.

My godfather, who bought me Omega Seamaster 300 when I was seven and my aunt also bought me a watch which I was forced to return to the shop since "no-one" needs two watches.. sigh... Or my father who bought me Omega Ploprof when I started diving. Or my self when I spent my first real payroll for a Heuer.

Weird how these small things make us who we are. My interest in pens started when I received a stipend and I spent it and some for a nice Cross (which I still have btw).

It's been downhill ever since :)

My parents have a JLC Atmos and my father Rolex got me into watches.When i was 21 I got a Omega Planet Ocean and here we are..

Who do you blame for making you a WIS?

Hmmm I'd say my dad as he always seemed to have so many, he used to like buying one when we went on holiday. Ironically what I find a modest collection now quadruples those numbers but I think it was definitely my starting point.

My brands just changed when I decided to purchase higher and higher in-terms of outlay.

Most likely our sons will have this conversation/discussion one day...

Quote Originally Posted by jonny
    My parents have a JLC Atmos and my father Rolex got me into watches.When i was 21 I got a Omega Planet Ocean and here we are..
    It would seem that your grandparents were watch enthusiasts as well. I can't think of any other reason to give your father that name.....

Master

My dad dosnt wear a watch or any jewellery, I never paid much attention to what my mum wore.
    I lived in a village called Stithians when I was a kid, every summer Stithians show would be held and I would always buy myself a cheap £2 digital 8)
    I also always wanted a Rolex, from as long as I can remember. I got one when I was 29. :)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny
    It would seem that your grandparents were watch enthusiasts as well. I can't think of any other reason to give your father that name.....

LOL - good spot :bounce:

Master

Mainly my old man - still remember the day he came home with an 18k Datejust, and I thought "That is pimp doggy dogg"*, I'm having one of those some day".

*Or the equivalent for someone who was 8 in 1988. "Ace" maybe?

I'm not a WIS but blame Brosnan for my obsession with watches :lol:

Margaret Thatcher............Dont ask :x

Journeyman

Who I blame?

That's easy!
    Fake watch markets in Thailand.
    I saw all the fantastic models from all the greatest watchmakers, and then, after I had fallen in love, it was all shit quality...
    Then it was back home and start researching...

Master
    Hooman Majd and the cali dial bubbleback he wears...

Master

Mum!

To be honest its probably my mum as she was always into watches and still has a nice collection although now its mostly Rolex and Tudor!!
    Then myself for being into everything mechanical!!! Then you lot and a few other forums for making it even easier to feed my addiction and let it get slightly out of hand!!👍

Chris

Master
    I had always been drawn to watches in jeweller's windows, especially the sports/divers, and had gone as far as a Citizen eco-drive chrono. A bloke I worked with came back from his holidays in the USA wearing an Omega Seamaster, and I thought I have to get one of those. I ended up with a 116610, then discovered these places and it was all downhill from there.
    I think "blame" is a bit harsh, this interest has brought me a great deal of pleasure and few regrets, so far at least.

My uncle - Marine reservist and special operations at the Met and his Quartz Seiko Pepsi diver... He gave it to me when I was at university and I wore or with price for years until I got my first Breitling.

He's got it back now and wears it on his boat. We both know it's mine though :)

Mostly because of myself (started with a Speedmaster) and judging by some of the mails I get, it seems I did become rather successful in making others a WIS after that. :-)

Master
    Initially I would say it was my obsession with time - this has meant I have always needed and wanted to wear a watch from a very young age. Once I had a bit of cash, I started buying some of the more expensive brands such as Longines and Omega (compared to Accurist and Citizen when younger).

BUT... because time and accuracy was the reason I got into watches, I exclusively bought quartz for their accuracy. It has only been in the past couple of years by coming onto the Pistonheads watch forum and then here did I appreciate mechanical watches.

Now all of my quartz watches have been sold on, and I have replaced with mechanicals (and flipped several times already).....it is a funny business !

Master
    It was a place as opposed to a specific person for me.

Salloways jewellers in Lichfield. I would look like Tiny Tim gawking through the window at a turkey but in this case, it was watches specifically the rolexes. I remember being blown away by the price of them, i couldnt believe anything could be so expensive!

I always wanted a rolex since then and really started enjoying watches once i started earning money. it took me a loooong time to be able to afford a rolex and even then, mine have been second hand!

Master
    I guess my Dad, who gave me an old mechanical chrono when I was a kid, and he bought an LED digital to replace it! I ended up buying a couple of battered half working vintage watches in street markets even when I was a young boy.

But what really set me off, many years later, was seeing this for the first time in a window on Bond Street when I knew next to nothing about watches - gradually finding out what the hell it was that had caught my eye sent me down the rabbit hole, never to return!

Nic Green

Master
    I have always been drawn to watches, even from an early age.My dad bought me my first proper watch at the age of about 8, a Seiko Pepsi diver quartz, I just fell in love with the colours.
    I always admired my dads Seiko 5, six sided case? and then the Rolex Airking date that he's worn for the last 40 odd years, so I suppose my dads to blame :)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    My grandfather, my mother, and my dad.
    Grandfather bought me my first watch and taught me how to tell the time when I was a grasshopper. He was obsessed with accuracy and used to measure his mechanicals by the pips on the radio.
    My dad had an old tissot seastar in a draw which I used to play with incessantly. It's second hand had fallen off.
    My mum bought my dad a DJ in the 90s and I got the catalog which I read with alarming regularity.
    She then bought me a seiko kinetic arctura from HK airport when they were big in the 90s. It didn't have the red yellow power reserve though, it had a greyscale instead. I later discovered it was Asian market only when the strap broke swiftly followed by the capacitor.
    She always supported and was interested in my hobby as it grew and became a bit of a magpie for tissot after running over her prs16 which she had taken off to wash the car. I still have its bits in a box and will at some point rebuild it from a donor.
    When she died earlier this year I inherited her omega that she had as a young woman.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I just sort of got into watches when I was about eight, I remember having a Timex diver for Christmas I thought I was the bees knees I must have looked at it a million times on Christmas day. It grew on me after I purchased my first expensive watch a Omega Constellation with a see through back, just looking at the workmanship made owning it a pleasure. I think it was the advent of the internet which really stoked my fire, bloody obsession now.

Banned
    I don't think I qualify as a wis

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    I don't think I qualify as a wis
    Nor me.I have a few watches but I don't see myself as a wis.

I think just being here qualifies you, sorry boys.

Craftsman
    My uncle, who was more like my big brother as I lived with him and my grandparents from when I was 3 ...until he left home

He always had nice watches. He was a builder by trade and always seemed to wear a plastic or steel Casio. In the evenings he had a different watch for every occasion. Nothing too expensive, mid range Seikos were his favourites. He bought me a few fun cool watches when I was a kid. My first Casio LED watch in 1976 I remember well

Sadly I dont have any of them, they all got lost/broken/upgraded when I was a kid, but the love of nice watches stayed with me

Craftsman
    My Dad, he used to have an issued BP Fifty Fathom, which seemed huge when I was a boy. It was stolen and he then wore an old GMT Master, gloss dial with gilt script, that my son has now.

He used to take me around the watch shops in Jersey, brought me my first watch when I learned to tell the time, a Timex I still have. At 17 he brought me my 5513 Submariner, which is pretty much the watch I wear every day.

I'm not a WIS. However, I very likely qualify as a general IS, spending way too much time on details of all sorts of stuff. I probably need to blame my parents, as it seems to be genetical.

Master
    I don't really remember exactly, but this has been the one hobby that has really stuck over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by JFW View Post
    I think just being here qualifies you, sorry boys.

No there is a big difference with owning watches and understanding of those watches.I just wear them. Haven't a clue on the technical details and not really bothered.

Simple answer is ME!

Back when I was around 10 years old, in the late 60's I used to read my Dad's racing magazines and they were full of watches, especially Chronographs, such as Heuer. From that moment I was hooked, chronographs fascinated me and show my interest grew and grew. :)

Master
    Not who, but where and what ... in doctors' and dentists' waiting rooms when I was a kid ...

and its Rolex ads ...

Nobody but me, frankly. I've always liked having a watch, and that's just it. Mind you, I'm giving Ewan an honorable mention as a key enabler, I stumbled onto his reviews which led me here which sure as heck helped me along!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Craftsman
    I started being fascinated by watches as a boy..

My Great Uncle was a Postmaster and had a fantastic collection of Pocket Watches.. I used to love winding them and watching the movements..

As an old engineer the mechanical fascination stayed with me even today, although I now work in the IT industry...

Mark

No blame - sometimes it just happens.............

Blog Entries
    I must of been in my early teens when I saw pulp fiction. I think it was the whole Butch Coolidge watch/father thing. I think Christopher Walkens eloquent monologue about the watch helped.

All down hill and uphill from there.

I blame Flik and Flak