closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you could only have two - a beater and a best, which would you choose?

Journeyman
    #46 thank you

Journeyman
    #48 lol

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Great beater choices here.
    Often it's a Seiko or some Quartz stuff.
    Yes, this time it is very surreal. Probably because the beating is done under a desk.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Yes, this time it is very surreal. Probably because the beating is done under a desk.
    I'm not sure how to take that

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Cilla,
    What you do under your desk is your business but I shudder to think. Best do it with your watch off. 😄😄

6900 and SBIII
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Everyday & best for me would be my MBII & Wright Flyer
    Can't see some of my others coming out of their boxes now

Master
    from my collection it would be the ecozilla for beater and dssd for best.

i would hate to be in that position though!!

Master
    Beater: 6309 diver

Best: GMT Master II

Got the first, might have to wait for the second...

Beater

Best

Quote Originally Posted by Akajak View Post
    #34. Excuse my ignorance but what is an orange monster?
    This may help

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...Orange-Monster

If I really had to choose, it would be these:

PO XL

'66 5513

Master
    Best: Vacheron Constantin 222 Jumbo
    Beater: Grand Seiko Quartz SBGX055

Though I may also accept a PP Calatrava sub seconds linen dial in white gold as the beater! I'd also consider and old model Explorer II as the rugged everyday option.

Probably SD 16600 as beater and Sub 1680 or GMT 1675 as keeper

I'd go for the obvious choices from my current collection - Speedmaster for good, Seiko for every day.

Craftsman
    Beater = Rolex SeaDweller. Great watch and could outlast most of us.

Best = A Lange und Söhne Datograph up and down. Best watch I´ve every seen. Need one!

Banned
    Daily wearer (when it arrives tommorow!)

Best...

Master
    At present the beater is the Omega SMP Quartz 2264 and best is the Speedy Pro. I've often thought that a Breitling M1 - Central minute chrono with great WR and superquartz movement - and a Rolex GMT II 16710, would be the perfect pair to cover every eventuality.

Omegas and Rolexes as beaters? my missus was right i dont belong here :(

Master

easy

For me it would be

my 16610 as my best

and my beater would be the Seiko MM300 that I had to part ex for the 16610!! once I get another my collection will be a happy one!!😄

Chris

Master
    Not sure if this is a hypothetical question or choosing from those that you own?

For those that I own:-

Day to day - PRS 82
    Best - Sinn 103

Ideal World:-

Speedy
    JLC geophysic

Have a speedy incoming so have made a step in the right direction although in reality this will be my best watch.

Worn every day

Usually special occasions

Craftsman

Cool If "beater" means daily wear watch, then......

Best = Rolex Cosmograph Daytona

Beater = Rolex Cosmograph Daytona

Last edited by JasH; 28th December 2014 at 22:03.

Craftsman
    Everyday: G10 (this I have....)
    Best: Birthyear Rolex GMT with wabi (and this nowhere near to having....!)

Beater:

Best:

Blog Entries
    My pick up and go at present is my 14060* and party frock is my PAM312.

*Will change when my incoming 017 Tuna drops.

Ta
    Paul

RAF Aviator G-Shock and the BLNR GMT.

My old SD is the one watch I can never see myself selling. I was originally going SD as beater and my Nautilus as best. But my tastes are getting cheaper with age:

Beater: Aerospace Avantage
    Best: SD

Master
    Of all the watches shown here, the ONLY one that really attracts me is "Bubblehead's" Oris. A clean looking diver that is different enough from the herd of JARs (Just-Another-Rolex). I should buy that and wear it all the time as both beater and best. It would serve both purposes very well.

Strange how my tastes have changed with the passage of time - I used to like the look of Panerai watches and some of the more sober Pateks - but not any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Omegas and Rolexes as beaters? my missus was right i dont belong here :(
    Why not post what yours would be instead of just moaning and making a sad face?

'Beater' was defined as 'daily watch', not what you wear to work on a building site.

Master
    From what I currently own it would be:
    Beater:

Best:

But my ideal (neither of which I will likely own) would be:-
    Beater:

Best:

(it was a toss up between this Portuguese & the grey dialled Spitfire 3878)

Beater - Damasko DC57 as its so robust

Best - haven't got one, although a Rolex submariner 67 (if they were made then would be it)

Current best - WG DayDate
    Beaters - daytona and seamaster pro

Doesn't beater mean 'happy to wear it crawling about under the car, swimming, in the gym (where you can either chuck it in your locker where it's likely to get stolen or take it into the sauna), do a bit of light decorating, drop it onto a tiled floor accidentally from waist height with no ill effect, cover it in suntan oil/sand/salt water at the beach, service it yourself (well, change the battery) decent lume (well, a light) an alarm and a Countdown timer and world time for holidays? - That's a beater, not a Rolex unless you're very wealthy and have no respect for the watch you've spent thousands on (with a raised, easily chipped crystal and a movement which wouldn't survive that drop onto tiles no matter the depth rating). Not knocking Rolex at all by the way, but show me an auto you can properly abuse in the same way and I'd be shocked. I watched a video of the (quartz) Inox the other day where the watch survived a 10m fall onto concrete but the case had a massive dent, and whilst I'm sure my tegimented U1 might fare better from a visual point of view I wouldn't expect it to tell the time accurately afterwards! Nope, beater = G shock. Ugly but proper hard 😄

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Doesn't beater mean 'happy to wear it crawling about under the car, swimming, in the gym (where you can either chuck it in your locker where it's likely to get stolen or take it into the sauna), do a bit of light decorating, drop it onto a tiled floor accidentally from waist height with no ill effect, cover it in suntan oil/sand/salt water at the beach, service it yourself (well, change the battery) decent lume (well, a light) an alarm and a Countdown timer and world time for holidays? - That's a beater, not a Rolex unless you're very wealthy and have no respect for the watch you've spent thousands on (with a raised, easily chipped crystal and a movement which wouldn't survive that drop onto tiles no matter the depth rating). Not knocking Rolex at all by the way, but show me an auto you can properly abuse in the same way and I'd be shocked. I watched a video of the (quartz) Inox the other day where the watch survived a 10m fall onto concrete but the case had a massive dent, and whilst I'm sure my tegimented U1 might fare better from a visual point of view I wouldn't expect it to tell the time accurately afterwards! Nope, beater = G shock. Ugly but proper hard dde04
    Beater = a watch you wear when you shouldn't really wear a watch - but never a cheap nasty piece of plastic
    Gray

... And best is anything that isn't a beater
    Gray

Journeyman
    [QUOTE=gorrie;3370260]From what I currently own it would be:
    Beater:

Can someone please tell me which model of Fortis this is and its specification.

Thanks

Beater

Best

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Beater

Best

I love this combination....poles apart!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by whodareswins View Post
    Can someone please tell me which model of Fortis this is and its specification.

Thanks
    B42 Cosmonaut Day/Date. It's the SS version, not Titanium. Cheers.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    B42 Cosmonaut Day/Date. It's the SS version, not Titanium. Cheers.
    Very nice watch.....on my list for 2015...

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Doesn't beater mean 'happy to wear it crawling about under the car, swimming, in the gym (where you can either chuck it in your locker where it's likely to get stolen or take it into the sauna), do a bit of light decorating, drop it onto a tiled floor accidentally from waist height with no ill effect, cover it in suntan oil/sand/salt water at the beach, service it yourself (well, change the battery) decent lume (well, a light) an alarm and a Countdown timer and world time for holidays? - That's a beater, not a Rolex unless you're very wealthy and have no respect for the watch you've spent thousands on (with a raised, easily chipped crystal and a movement which wouldn't survive that drop onto tiles no matter the depth rating). Not knocking Rolex at all by the way, but show me an auto you can properly abuse in the same way and I'd be shocked. I watched a video of the (quartz) Inox the other day where the watch survived a 10m fall onto concrete but the case had a massive dent, and whilst I'm sure my tegimented U1 might fare better from a visual point of view I wouldn't expect it to tell the time accurately afterwards! Nope, beater = G shock. Ugly but proper hard 
    Beater was also defined by the OP as 'daily wearer'. I neither have, or need a 'beater' although if pushed, I have a couple of Limited Edition Seikos that would serve. My only quartz is a UX so again, that could serve. But my daily is always something nice. If I find myself suddenly moving furniture or under a car bonnet, I take it off.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Beater was also defined by the OP as 'daily wearer'. I neither have, or need a 'beater'......But my daily is always something nice. If I find myself suddenly moving furniture or under a car bonnet, I take it off.
    Same here. My collection has shrunk to just a 14270 and pre Mears Citizen Tough (which arrived the day before the Explorer and hasn't been worn since). Back in the day when a watch couldn't be removed and the work was physically demanding it was a Shock. Nowadays I take one off if it's going to get mucky or bashed.

Craftsman
    I wear my Submariner more than any other watch, so it's my beater/daily wearer.

My best would be my recently acquired Vacheron & Constantin dress watch.

But I do love my Speedy Mark III too :)

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Beater = a watch you wear when you shouldn't really wear a watch - but never a cheap nasty piece of plastic
    They may be cheap and nasty, but make anything mechanical look like a cream puff in comparison. And that includes anything that has been to the moon or the bottom of the sea. In this world of rugged and manly Swiss auto's I wonder how many would emerge totally unscathed having been casually dropped onto a hard floor? I understand your aesthetic arguments but I'm afraid when it comes to 'taking a beating' a humble £50 dw5600 would be king. And I think that's actually rather cool 😉

Master
    Beater - Pulsar military chrono

Best - Breitling aerospace
    Last edited by barryw; 4th January 2015 at 23:30.

Master
    Currently...

Beater: Hamilton Khaki Quartz

Best: Bremont BC-F1

Dave

Craftsman
    I have around 20 watches most range from £300 to £2000 but it would have to be these without question and why not;

Xmas present from the missus, and fits the bill perfectly

Dress/Best

My late grandfathers watch, very dear to me. I couldn't be without these two due to the sentimental links.

Craftsman
    Beater

Best

I'm pretty careful with my watches, so 'Beater' might be a bit of an overstatement, but the Omega is my everyday watch. For anything rougher than work, it's this...

Great thread, difficult to chose. My PO would have to stay because of the reason I bought it and the funds I used (lusted after them in shop windows for years on end, finally bought one but with inheritance money). Some will think that's stupid but to me I bought it for a reason and that reason makes it a keeper. I already just wear and enjoy it, not worrying about potential marks or scratches since a good service will have it looking like new again anyway so it would be my daily. "Best" would be a good birth year Sub but the cost... a more realistic option for me would probably be a "Skyfall" AT which is already on the short-list for this year.