closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Gigandet Intruder - inexpensive, but not cheap.

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com

Gigandet Intruder - inexpensive, but not cheap.

Hi,

I saw one of these in Germany last summer, for around Eu 300, and admired it for it's price, I thought it looked as though it was worth more. I passed on, because I knew nothing about the brand, other than I had seen the odd vintage Gigandet for sale.

On getting home, imagine my surprise when I found out that these are available for sale in the UK, and at the bargain price of £60 from Amazon, though on Ebay, they are selling for as much as £300!

I let my son have all the relevant information, and hinted that he might give some thought to buying it as my Christmas present.

And so it arrived with me on Christmas day. It came in a good quality double boxed leatherette case, that is better than some boxes I've got with £1000 watches. Documentation was sparse however, just a folded slip of paper, with instructions in German. It does say however that the chronograph movment was from Seiko.

The watch came on cut edge black leather strap, not brilliant, but probably tenners worth. I replaced it with a Monkey swag 'SAS' Zulu, which I think looks rather good.

Quality of casework is not brilliant. Tool marks are visible, but not obvious. The Crystal is Mineral glass, but it does have an effective Ar coating. Dial work however is extraordinary. The sand coloured dial looks to be enamelled, and the printing is very sharp and detailled. The printing is glossy black, and slightly raised, and has to be applied, not screen printed. The squelette hands have an effective lume, which lasts the night. The subdials actually look to be in proportion, which is unusual in a 46mm case. I was actually very impressed with the quality of the dial.

The watch has a WR depth rating of 100m.

Best bang for buck I've ever come across, particularly as it has a Japanese movement. Obviously another case of an old established brand name being purchased by a third party, and used on a new range of watches. The company is probably Chinese, but at these prices, who cares. Amazon have a range of around twenty different models, all at around the same price.

So this watch, complete with a quality Zulu strap, was around £70....... amazing.

Happy new year.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigandet-INT...et+interceptor
    Last edited by doug darter; 1st January 2015 at 14:42.

Great value indeed ... It's going to have the OCD number eater haters twitching!
    Cheers..
    Jase

I read somewhere that these are made by Citizen.
    But I have no way of backing this up. But they look like a lot of watch for the money.

Well, that's the 2015 "Watch name more suitable for a sex toy" award sewn up already.

Its actually Gigandet INTERCEPTOR

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Great value indeed ... It's going to have the OCD number eater haters twitching!
    Oh god, I didn't even notice until I read your comment and then had another look - you've just turned me into an "OCD number eater hater" now !!

They are great watches for the money, they were available at stupid prices back in October on ebay, My wife picked me this up for about fifteen quid plus postage and put it in my Christmas stocking, I was quite shocked she chose something I'm actually going to wear, Although its a quartz it does have the cool "mechanical like" multi beat chrono hand,
    wook

Craftsman
    Thanks for the heads up. I hadn't heard of the brand before and I would have probably dismissed them for being too cheap if I'd seen them on Amazon.

My Speed Timer arrived today and I'm really impressed with the quality of the watch for what it cost. It's based on a model that the old Gigandet company made so keeps the connection alive. It also has a Heuer Autavia vibe, which isn't a bad thing!

Last edited by andymac66; 8th January 2015 at 20:58.

Great value for money, I've got a Speed Timer and changed the mineral into a domed plexi, really gives it a nice vintage/retro touch.

Master
    Love the look of this watch very retro, nice touch the orange and plexi.

My name is Craig and I'm a OCD number eater hater ;)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchesRmypassion View Post
    I read somewhere that these are made by Citizen.
    The description on Amazon UK says "Chronograph movement from Seiko, Calibre VD53".

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    The description on Amazon UK says "Chronograph movement from Seiko, Calibre VD53".
    It looks like gigandets come with both Seiko and miyota/citizen movements but as you mentioned the OP's is indeed a seiko, My speedtimer has a 6s21 chrono grande miyota, I've no idea why such a basic calibre should have such a lofty name.

wook
    Last edited by wookie; 12th January 2015 at 05:55.

They also do a nice looking Speedy homage which is under £60 on Amazon.

Hmm, tempting....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    They also do a nice looking Speedy homage which is under £60 on Amazon.

Hmm, tempting....
    Try amazon.de or an eBay auction. It will probably be even cheaper.

The more I look at these watches the more I'm considering getting me one as a daily beater.

Op what does the 3 o'clock sub dial indicate?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    My name is Craig and I'm a OCD number eater hater ;)
    Your name is Craig and you're an OCD number eater hater.

If you're going to have OCD, go at it full tilt.

Master
    Just picked up a speed timer high dome plexi from Marco-T and I have to say it's a beauty and a bargain to boot!

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Op what does the 3 o'clock sub dial indicate?
    The sundial at six is chronograph seconds counter. Running seconds are recorded with centre red hands.