View Poll Results: which is cooler?

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tudor Black Bay

53 27.32%
  • Rolex Submariner

141 72.68%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is a Tudor Black Bay cooler than a Rolex Sub...?

Quote Originally Posted by MrSimba View Post
    Sub by a landslide!

& the older the cooler!!!

Christ that's in a bad way! Just short of buggered. A crime to let these lovely things decay. Don't be a cheapskate - splash out on a service...

I like both but marginally prefer the Tudor BB. .

Tudor is a lovely watch bar one thing.Those hands just don't do it for me so I vote Sub.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    IMHO There is nothing cool whatsoever about striding into an AD and purchasing either at full RRP - it is an exercise in spending a lot of money, which is not cool in and of itself.

Finding a nice vintage sub (tudor or rolex) could be cool, I guess.

In terms of basic looks and peformance, I would say the BB blue has it. The red one is too loud to be cool (imho), as is the rolex sub due to its shininess (it is also too expensive - not cool).
    I used to understand this view, but I reality it's often nonsense. Okay, some vintage watches may take a bit of time to locate but it's not like buyers put their very soul on the line to find them; they just search the Internet. In fact, go onto the VRF any day of the week and there's likely to be half a dozen 5513s for sale (actually, go to pretty much any watch forum and it'll be full of sales listings for vintage watches); you don't have to be cool to buy one, you just have to transfer the funds. It's a lot like... well, shopping.

I love vintage watches, and I've had - and have - some absolute beauties. I don't like this kind of reverse snobbery, though; old isn't better than new, nor is new better than old. It's horses for courses.

(PS Sorry Dave. I have nothing but respect for your knowledge and you've helped me out more than once with very sound advice. I just don't agree with this particular POV.)
    Last edited by learningtofly; 4th January 2015 at 00:06.

Master
    Is it really cool to talk about Cool, I don't think so somehow!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I used to understand this view, but I reality it's often nonsense. Okay, some vintage watches may take a bit of time to locate but it's not like buyers put their very soul on the line to find them; they just search the Internet. In fact, go onto the VRF any day of the week and there's likely to be half a dozen 5513s for sale (actually, go to pretty much any watch forum and it'll be full of sales listings for vintage watches); you don't have to be cool to buy one, you just have to transfer the funds. It's a lot like... well, shopping.

I love vintage watches, and I've had - and have - some absolute beauties. I don't like this kind of reverse snobbery, though; old isn't better than new, nor is new better than old. It's horses for courses.

(PS Sorry Dave. I have nothing but respect for your knowledge and you've helped me out more than once with very sound advice. I just don't agree with this particular POV.)
    Agree
    Just a matter of willingness to spend money.
    Love vintage as well but nothing inherently cool about vintage as opposed to new. It's a myth many are a victim of.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

Fair enough Tony - it's always good to exchange views.
    But there are degrees of this.
    Anyone can splash cash at an AD - anyone. Doing so is, imho, not cool. No knowledge, no research, just balance or credit.
    Knowing of VRF is one thing, and buying from there another. Again, I do not think this is particularly cool (I originally said a vintage one "could be cool", but it is a little more selective. The slightly selective nature of buying from a forum is not in itself cool either, imho, but searching for and finding a vintage piece can be quite cool, imho, because it does require a level of further selection, probably based on a little more (possibly a lot more) knowledge.

I would agree the scenario you paint is perhaps only slightly "cooler" than slamming a wad on the desk at an AD.

But

What I wanted to add in reply is that old is definitely not, in and of itself, better than new, nor vice versa.

What is better (and I think a lot cooler) is making a better choice based on better intelligence and attitude. THAT is the cool bit.

And if that means that you simply must find a particularly rare sub, then fine. That can be cool
    If it means that you examine the specification, dismiss the sub and buy a BB saving over half your money, that can be cool too.

But simply walking into a shop to buy what everyone else says is cool is about as uncool as it gets.
    Making your own choice? Better, and cooler.

D

If I really wanted to be cool I'd buy a watch that every single one of the uncool watch geeks on this thread hated.
    Last edited by Lampoc; 4th January 2015 at 02:00.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSimba View Post
    Sub by a landslide!

& the older the cooler!!!

Beautiful

Blog Entries
    I. Photos, yes it's cooler, but IRL it's not close in regards of of quality, so the sub wins that match easy.

I think it's all very subjective to what one likes or enjoys?

I bought a BB and instantly sold it as I did not like the size or look of it on my wrist and bought another 5513! Does that make me uncool possibly, but in my experience if you wear a vintage Rolex most people do not notice it, but if you wear a new model that sits bigger, higher and looking more polished on the wrist they notice straight away! Then comes the old cliche (you must be doing well)!

Suppose it's a bit like a old 911 or Merc SL, when driving a new model you get noticed but not always appreciated but when driving my 21 year old SL people say that's a nice looking car! They don't seem to want to cut you up or race you, but if you are in a SL 55 or modern 911 it's a different story! So no I don't think either are cool just beautiful in different ways and more appealing to the beholder...
    Last edited by Snoodles; 4th January 2015 at 09:41.

Craftsman
    Sub for me

Master
    Tudor is a cool brand and BB is one of their coolest watches. But the Sub is the original cool watch, that is what takes the biscuit here i think. Happily wear either though!

Master
    This thread seems to be based on the dubious premise that anyone would consider watches cool.

I generally agree with Tony because the whole idea of what is cool is always about snobbery. As soon as something becomes popular, that factor is gone. I'd say the 5513 probably reached 'peak cool' a couple of years ago. That's not to say that it won't continue to rise in price and popularity.

Master
    I have tried the BB on and have a Sub ceramic bezel version and I definitely prefer the Sub.
    It would be very close for me between the Sub and the Pelagos though.

Craftsman
    There is nothing cool about that daftly designed hour hand

Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    I think it's all very subjective to what one likes or enjoys?

I bought a BB and instantly sold it as I did not like the size or look of it on my wrist and bought another 5513! ...
    I'm very happy to hear that. :)

Ofcourse , watches can be cool.
    It is totally uncool to think watches cannot be cool.
    What is not cool is discussing what is cool or what is not.

I'm also guilty of this - but wearing a Divers Watch when you're not a diver is probably 'not cool'! - in fact, now lots of cheap high street watch brands have caught onto the NATO strap they're now in danger of losing any cool they once had! Once things become mainstream they lose their sense of 'exclusivity' and rather than being different they become boring. I was wearing my Sub LV on a NATO in the summer and a sales assistant in debenhams thought it was an 'ice' watch - the cheap plastic sub-a-like worn by most lady hairdressers in my neck of the woods. Not cool at all! 😣

Craftsman
    I have to agree the popularity of NATO straps by the general public is concerning.

Grand Master
    I ticked for the Rolex Sub,but I don't dislike the Tudor.

Its all about what YOU like,and not what some on here like.

I'm in a Seiko vintage mode right now,and we all know how things end up with a discussion about those two brands...don't we!.

Master
    One other thing I don't like about the BB,and this is a very personal thing, is the curved writing on the face, it spoils the look of it for me.
    Re the natos, I was wearing them over 30 years ago in the military when they definitely weren't cool!!

What is Tudor?

Master
    I attended an official Tudor event a little while ago, and yes all the Rolex top bods were there as well
    Is that what you meant?

Journeyman
    Don't get much cooler than this IMHO. Unless it is on my new Isofrane, then it's way cooler.

Master
    When I get enough funds together for the Pelagos, it's definitely going on my Isofrane which I have already bought

Quote Originally Posted by Wexford View Post
    I'm very happy to hear that. :)
    Thanks but you are now the custodian of the 5513...:( Mind you I have a super 1665 instead of! :@)

Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    Thanks but you are now the custodian of the 5513...:( Mind you I have a super 1665 instead of! :@)
    Ah, I didn't consider that possibility Vince. Still, sounds like we both did OK out of it. :)

The Sub gets my vote.

Although the Tudor is a great watch there is only one Sub for me and that's the Rolex sub.

As much as I like the BB, I voted for the Sub.

I went with the BB but I think vintage versions of both win the 'cool' award.

It does feel alarmingly like the Top Gear Cool Wall where three deeply uncool middle-aged men argue about what is 'cool'!

Both seem very popular so that rules both out for me in the cool stakes, fine if you like them but no way my definition of cool just WIS fashion like a Seadweller.

I suspect if you care what's "cool", you're in no position to judge

Can you add an option to the poll for "bemused"?

M.

Master
    The subs in this thread are 'cool': http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...r-a-SOTC/page2

...and there are plenty of similar Tudors that are too. For a box fresh one, I'm tempted to say 'neither', but hey, there's more to life than being cool.

Journeyman
    Tudor can never be cooler, simply because it's a budget version of the other one!

Quote Originally Posted by ballin View Post
    Tudor can never be cooler, simply because it's a budget version of the other one!
    So expensive = cool and less expensive = not cool? Not sure I'm with you on that. So an 18k Submariner with diamond dial is cool, the nasty budget steel version isn't? 😉

Quote Originally Posted by ballin View Post
    Nah that's why (in this slightly tongue in cheek, hypothetical discusion) Tudor would be cooler than Rolex. It takes a confident sort to buy a Tudor over a Rolex. Ultimately Tudor owners don't buy a Tudor because it has Tudor written all over it. They presumably buy a Tudor because they like the design itself. No brand name kudos needed. That's kind of cool.

I wish they'd trim the case sizes down a little but the latest designs are pretty cool looking IMO (the Monte Carlo in particular).

Depends on the sub... 5513/1680 and older are defintately cooler in my books, even if they can get a bit samey & boring.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I have issues with 'cool'. It's transient.

i like both but in my opinion, comparing the cool factors of the bb and the sub is the same as comparing Lana Del Rey and Ella Fitzgerald.
    One is hot, talented and successful.. And other is Ella.

Craftsman
    I own a Black Bay - not sure if it's cool but I think it looks pretty good. Personally, I wouldn't spend £5k+ on a new Sub as looks-wise they don't look special enough for me in that price range. I do plan to sell my Black Bay but what I will replace it with remains to be seen!