closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How to not be a 'tyre kicker' when trying out watches

How to not be a 'tyre kicker' when trying out watches

Bit of a daft question this one, but I'll ask it anyway (as my Dad used to say, 'there's no such thing as a stupid question - only stupid people)'!

What should I be looking for when I go and try out potential new watches in stores?

I often find I see a watch I'm considering so get the shop attendant to get it out so I can have a look at it, but then my mind sort of goes a bit blank. I just look at it, pop it on my wrist and go 'hmm, nice' and then hand it back. I'd like to have a sensible set of things I should checking for when handling a watch somewhere - checking how the lugs fit around my wrist, how easy it is to wind, that sort of thing.

What do you do?

I find it useful to look at it under natural light as well as the bright, bright lights in the glass case.
    Also: check the fit of the bracelet, open and close the clasp, turn the bezel, set the time, have a fiddle ...

Master
    I always like to go see it maybe 2-3 times wearing different sets of clothing. Ie if i was looking for a formal watch, I make sure I go see it wearing formal clothing, just to see how it fits into the overall look.

Also becareful with the watch you WEAR to go see it. What I mean is that if you went to see a Panerai for example, but you were wearing a 36mm dress watch, it may appear OVERLY big, even if it actually looks alrite etc.

I also like to take a loupe or ask for a loupe to see if any markings on the dial are done perfectly, scratches on the case etc.

Definitely wind and set it; if it's correct, change it and do it yourself! Turn the bezel, activate the chrono (or whatever) do what ever you can to interact with it to get a feeling for how it's made.

Also check the look of it in the mirror (an AD probably has a full-length one) as that's what it really looks like on you. I loved the look of my Seamaster 9300 right up until I caught sight of myself in a mirror wearing it and realised it wore far to big on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tam View Post
    I find it useful to look at it under natural light as well as the bright, bright lights in the glass case....
    That's easier said than done I think. It would require taking the watch out the store, and I can't imagine may places would let you do that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ArghZombies View Post
    That's easier said than done I think. It would require taking the watch out the store, and I can't imagine may places would let you do that.
    Its easily done, just ask. I've taken every watch that I had an interest in buying outside with no problems.

Grand Master
    I think you have to be clear about your objective. Have that in your mind before you go in the shop; are you simply trying to get an idea how the watch looks or are you seriously looking to buy? Rehearse it in your mind, decide what to say, and your mind won`t go blank.

Sometimes you get a better idea of how a watch looks by asking someone else to put it on. However, if size is an issue there's little point in getting a gorilla to try a big watch on if you've got skinny wrists....that'll tell you that the watch suits the gorilla but that doesn`t help. Be honest with yourself on the size; if the watch is too big for you, accept it and don`t try to fool yourself.

If deciding to buy, always be prepared to haggle. It helps if you can keep a dialogue going whilst looking at the watch, that develops a rapport and helps you move into the negotiation smoothly. State that you want to buy the watch but you need some discount; the word 'need' is far more effective than 'like' in these situations. Make up a story about being at the outer limits of your budget. Can`t guarantee it'll work, but it's as good a way as any.

Inspect the watch v. carefully for scratches and shop-soiling, and be sure the handsetting and winding work OK.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 5th January 2015 at 14:52.

Master
    I always take a few quick wrist shots on my phone 'to show my girlfriend', though actually for later on when I can no longer remember how it looked on.

As already mentioned, full length mirror is a must.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 5th January 2015 at 15:04.

Master
    In short: if it has a rubber strap...don't kick it ;).

My list:

Inspect the case, bracelet, clasp, crystal. Check to see whether everything is as you would expect. But also what you notice in the flesh, how the bracelet fits the case, how the clasp closes, does it feel sturdy and well built.

On the wrist. How does it feel? Does it sit nicely on the wrist, does it tend to tilt, flatter or more convex caseback? How does the bracelet feel on the wrist, doesn't it pull out any hairs, are there plenty of possibilities to adjust the bracelet? How big would you want a watch, no overhanging case or don't you mind? Also the weight, I hate overly heavy watches.

The movement. Does it wind normally, crown action ok, does the date shift at 12? Is the date positioned well in the date window? Try and get a feel for the movement as a whole.

Last but not least, does it fit your budget? If not, are there discounts to be had (more if you pay cash?) or are there alternatives?

Id suggest this.

Do your research first.
    When you know you want to buy a watch go to the shop and say "I'm interested in" or "I can't make my mind up between a X and a Y"
    These are buying signals that will get most sales peoples attention.
    Ask the sales person about the watches, ask about warrantee, service interval, what it's like in terms of time to get the watch serviced. Any special features of the watch. These are the sort of things serious buyers will establish.
    Look carefully at the watch you are trying on. If you think it looks too big on your wrist then say so. If you find the crown too fiddly then say so.
    All of this will help you to establish rapport with the sales person. That way, even if you don't buy today, they know you'll probably buy sometime.

Randomly walking in and asking to look at a watch then walking out will quickly get you know to sales staff but not in a good way. If you do randomly walk in to say browse pre-owned stock then say you are just having a look. The staff will get to know you and know what you like and don't. They may even get an e-mail address of off you. Same if you are on the lookout for something - just walk in and tell them.

If you've ever wondered why some people get invited to swanky launch events and others don't there are some clues above.

Naturally I'm talking quality watches here not quite the same if you're buying a Casio from Argos.
    Last edited by aldfort; 5th January 2015 at 15:19.

I find a ruck sack with a selection of clothes to try with the watch helpful. I sometimes take along my mate Paul, who has impeccable taste, for a second opinion (he also tastes my coffee first to make sure it's not drugged with watch buying toxins). Once all possible combinations of watch and sartorial elegant clothing combinations have been exhausted I get my PA, who also comes with me, to complete a spreadsheet highlighting all pertinent facts and impressions of the watches tried which I use to create a score sheet. Any outstanding stupid questions I post here under a pseudonym before getting underpants advice and making a choice (which if I am unhappy with after a few days I'll stick on SC rather than return for a refund). I then contact my broker and lawyer for advice on price negotiations before asking what discount I should expect, for comparison, here.

Alternatively, I stop by a retail outlet, try what I like the look of, ask anything I am curious about and buy if I want to.
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I think you have to be clear about your objective. Have that in your mind before you go in the shop; are you simply trying to get an idea how the watch looks or are you seriously looking to buy? Rehearse it in your mind, decide what to say, and your mind won`t go blank.

Sometimes you get a better idea of how a watch looks by asking someone else to put it on. However, if size is an issue there's little point in getting a gorilla to try a big watch on if you've got skinny wrists....that'll tell you that the watch suits the gorilla but that doesn`t help. Be honest with yourself on the size; if the watch is too big for you, accept it and don`t try to fool yourself.

If deciding to buy, always be prepared to haggle. It helps if you can keep a dialogue going whilst looking at the watch, that develops a rapport and helps you move into the negotiation smoothly. State that you want to buy the watch but you need some discount; the word 'need' is far more effective than 'like' in these situations. Make up a story about being at the outer limits of your budget. Can`t guarantee it'll work, but it's as good a way as any.

Inspect the watch v. carefully for scratches and shop-soiling, and be sure the handsetting and winding work OK.

Paul

I agree with this ^^^

I never discuss money unless I am ready to buy there and then.
    'I'll take it now if you can do £xxx' is the most powerful negotiating tool you have but you can really only use it once and have to mean it.
    I always have a discount percentage fixed in my head, that I won't go below, well before I walk in the shop.
    Last edited by london lad; 13th January 2015 at 16:48.

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    Ask the sales person about the watches, ask about warrantee, service interval, what it's like in terms of time to get the watch serviced. Any special features of the watch. These are the sort of things serious buyers will establish.
    I'd say most 'serious buyers' might have already done this, to not know what you're looking at makes you the ultimate tyre-kicker - I certainly would have done my research.

I also don't believe a word most salespeople say as they often don't have a clue or won't be honest, especially about waiting times for service - JLC wouldn't sell a single watch if people knew their service times ;)

I have never, ever, browsed and then bought a watch. I have always gone in to look at something very specific that if it looks right, I will buy. I do appreciate however that that's not generally how the luxury good sector works!

Does anybody here get the bracelet sized before agreeing to buy? I was looking at a watch for my fiancee at xmas in goldsmiths and she aaked for the salesman to size the bracelet so she could make sure it was comfortable before purchase (it was a seamaster quartz)

I found this amazing :) i have stupidly taken a punt on this in the past

It's a reasonable question, even if it has prompted a few frighteningly witty responses. Of course you are looking for the usual points of fit, finish, condition, and so on - even whether it's comfortable and suits you. But I think there's something more to it.

It's not a metaphorical alley I really want to go down, but it's a little bit like going on a date. Sometimes you meet someone new and they're good-looking, interesting, and so on, but there's just no spark between you. You can research them as much as you like online, but until you meet them in person and make—ahem—skin-to-skin contact, you just don't know whether it's going to work.

I have had the experience before of going to try on a specific watch, not feeling a spark for it, and falling emphatically in love with a different watch I hadn't previously thought much about.

So there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Does anybody here get the bracelet sized before agreeing to buy? I was looking at a watch for my fiancee at xmas in goldsmiths and she aaked for the salesman to size the bracelet so she could make sure it was comfortable before purchase (it was a seamaster quartz) I found this amazing :) i have stupidly taken a punt on this in the past
    Your fiancée needs to register here, she's clearly more of a WIS than you! I'd never buy without having the bracelet sized for me first - even if the watch isn't for me ;-)
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Your fiancée needs to register here, she's clearly more of a WIS than you! I'd never buy without having the bracelet sized for me first - even if the watch isn't for me ;-)
    She obviously is although she says that you are all nerds...sorry ;)

Craftsman
    As has already been said, do your research which if you are a forum member on here you already are doing I'm sure!

Know which watch or watches are on your 'short list' and be concise & polite, it helps 100x if when you go to try the watch on you take something of substance off your wrist to put on the desk! When I walked into an AD to have a look at the Polar Explorer II they were very polite & helpful and brought the watch over to the desk and when I slipped a DSSD off my wrist to try it on the AD's attitude defiantly changed from 'he's browsing' to 'he's buying' !

& never had a bracelet resized before purchasing any of my watches never entered my head to think of that!

^^^ I do recall looking at nearly a quarter of a million pounds worth of watches after taking off a Seiko Sawtooth and I made it plain I wasn't buying - so trying to impress with the value of your wrist wear is not always necessary.
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by MrSimba View Post
    and when I slipped a DSSD off my wrist to try it on the AD's attitude defiantly changed from 'he's browsing' to 'he's buying' !
    Swoon ;)

Master
    With any watch I tend to go "Ooooo Shiny" ...................... it's all downhill from there

Grand Master
    Don`t wear trainers when looking at expensive watches.

No serious deals are ever concluded by folks wearing trainers; if I was a salesman I couldn`t take a customer seriously if he'd turned up in his pumps.

Paul

Banned

No serious deals are ever concluded by folks wearing trainers; if I was a salesman I couldn`t take a customer seriously if he'd turned up in his pumps.

Paul
    Lol.

I can't take most AD's seriously, in their Greenwoods double breasted either

Flip Flops all the way for me.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post

Flip Flops all the way for me.
    Be honest Steve, it's clogs where you come from

Paul

Banned
    Be honest Steve, it's clogs where you come from

Paul

Blog Entries

Paul
    Hmm..... ;-)

Paul
    You wouldn't keep a job as a salesman in one of the boutiques in place Vendôme for very long then. When a middle aged overweight man in a shell suit, trainers a gold medallion and tattooed knuckles speaking to his pencil-thin teenaged companion in Russian goes into the Patek or Breguet or AP or VC boutique I would bet the sales staff know they are going to make a sale or two.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    She obviously is although she says that you are all nerds...sorry ;)
    No need to apologize ... watch nerd, and proud of it :)))

My wife (who's Japanese), is quite outspoken amongst her friends that her husband is a 'tokei otaku'. Given some of the weird 'otaku' in Japan, being a tokei/watch otaku is a positive compliment.

Going back to the original post, I would suggest that knowing what the watch movement is (e.g. ETA 2824-2, etc) would be a starter, and mention it "in passing". If it's not a certified chronometer, then perhaps ask what grade of movement it used ... although this is a question more biased toward ETA-based movements (e.g. not Grand Seiko or Nomos, etc.) This was the approach I took last Christmas when eyeballing a Black Bay for the first time. Nice watch, but for the money wasn't happy that it came with a 'top' grade; but I digress.

Oh, and don't forget to check whether the watch has hacking and quick date-set.
    A couple of years ago, I was admiring a watch, and the sales person mentioned that it didn't have a quick date-set. For the amount of money they were asking, I felt the manufacturer was just taking mick! Watch got handed back pretty pronto >:-|

Sales people regardless of their knowledge of watches or lack their of are usually good at figuring out who is a serious buyer as opposed to someone just kicking tyres.

Master
    It would be hard not to be a tire kicker. Most people try on clothes before they buy them or test drive a car a watch is no different. You should be friendly to the guy behind the counter, talk to him and get to know him as you may return several times as well. Fit, feel, sense of size and design should be paramount first. The rest is on your conscience whether it's movement, brand name or $$$ value is good enough for you.

I always buy a watch that I like ... not what others like ... nor do I care if they hate them. I buy a watch that puts a smile on my face and puts me in aura when I look at it. I only asks questions about watches I intend to buy to make sure I didn't miss that one pro or con that I need to consider not to dissuade me but to increase my knowledge.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    You wouldn't keep a job as a salesman in one of the boutiques in place Vendôme for very long then. When a middle aged overweight man in a shell suit, trainers a gold medallion and tattooed knuckles speaking to his pencil-thin teenaged companion in Russian goes into the Patek or Breguet or AP or VC boutique I would bet the sales staff know they are going to make a sale or two.
    I wouldn`t keep a job as a salesman ANYWHERE for very long

Paul

Craftsman
    I went to look at a Zenith in Moscow a couple of years ago and I was treated as a time waster. I went to the salesman who was chatting to a colleague and asked to try it and he smirked and rolled his eyes and deigned to allow me to see it.

As I took my jacket off he saw the Omega Speedmaster Professional underneath and suddenly couldn't have been more helpful. Then I smirked and went elsewhere.

However I do understand that due to the tasteless nature of the average Russian luxury goods customer, he probably assumed I would have been in horrific jewellery and diamond-studded trousers if I were able to afford a watch like that rather than Levi's, brogues and a ski jacket.

Master

Paul
    Now I know where I went wrong over the Christmas period in Dublin. I had a little browse in Weirs on Grafton St, lovely shop full of high end stuff. I briefly looked at the cabinet containing 5 or 6 PPs and moved on to a very well stocked Panerai cabinet. I've always fancied a rose gold model and a couple on display looked lovely. However, my enthusiasm soon waned when the approaching salesman offered to help with our pushchair down the stairs 'where the fashion watches can be found'. I found it amusing more than anything though. A week in Ireland over the festive period does tend to take its toll .

Master
    Take some pics, say you want others to see how it looks on you, plus its good to look at it a few days later.

I'm not a trainer wearer, but wear whatever you like. A friend of mine was pretty much told by a salesman that he couldn't afford the Audi R8 he was looking at in an Audi dealership. Went and bought one from another dealer and made a point of going back to prove the point! Don't judge a sausage...

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    With any watch I tend to go "Ooooo Shiny" ...................... it's all downhill from there
    you and me both brother

Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    Couldn't agree more Mike. Selling watches to me is about as difficult as selling water to a thirsty man in a desert.

Paul
    Funny that, I've done all my deals from watches, cars, houses in trainers, as I don't wear shoes unless it's with a suit, as I'm not old enough for the smart shoes, sport coat and jeans Ralph Lauren combo yet.
    Since national, even international lotteries have started, and general more casual attitude to dress 'sense' you can't judge a book by its cover anymore.

You should see some of the 'scruffs' that buy RRs and Bentleys

To be honest, if it's a case of feeling self conscious then I wouldn't worry about it. In most high street boutiques the sales staff know next to bog all, and to be honest I find myself wanting them to just shut the hell up and stop giving me their shit sales patter.

I had one chap begin telling me what a great "investment" the Longines I was looking at was...

So short of asking them the price, and whether they can give you a discount or not, your questions should be answerred by yourself by researching a particular watch either before you go in if you already have a watch in mind, or after you come out having tried it on.

Completely different situation when you walk into a vintage dealer's mind...