closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you ever content with your collection?

Craftsman

Are you ever content with your collection?

Probably been asked before but I thought I'd bring the subject back to life.

Are we ever content with our collection? I recently added a Tudor Black Bay & JLC Hometime to my collection and before the JLC landed I thought to myself that my collection will be complete when it arrives as I finally own the watches I had always aspired to own. I thought that I now own decent watches to cover all bases. The Tudor BB will be the weekend casual watch. My JLC will be my smart/occasion watch. My Steinhart Ocean 1 & Tag Aquaracer Chrono will be everyday watches and finally my Seiko monster will continue to be my work watch. In my opinion that's quite a varied set of watches and gives a nice change of scenery on the wrist.

So, why don't I feel as content with my collection as I thought I would? It's a terrible disease this watch admiring malarkey!

I don't mean this in a negative way as most of us are afflicted by it to some extent, but it's a classic case of oniomania, or shopaholism. The highs of the desire, the "hunt", and the eventual purchase are often met with disappointment and/or guilt over the expenditure, which is then followed up by the need to recapture the high again.

Most of us try to justify the purchases by assigning roles to the watches (or whatever we might collect), but that pretence falls apart when we fill those roles but still feel no satisfaction.

I wouldn't feel bad about it. If you can afford it, enjoy it. What else are we, former hunter gatherers, meant to be doing in this age?

I currently think (foolishly) that I am content with my collection and only want to downsize the number of watches to free up cash for other uses. But I think we all go through these spells and post Basel I expect a few new watches to catch my eye.

I am growing boring in older age as I appreciate Rolex's ruggedness more and more. If I had a big purge I could see myself getting down to my three Rolexes (SD, Daytona and Exp2) and an Aerospace for my travels. And I would be very happy. All bases covered.

I definitely have the same problem. I try to convince myself that the next watch will be my last (either due to high value, finally completing the collection, or too many watches already). However, after the purchase and a short time, I think to myself "hey, that wasn't so bad, I can handle another watch". And the cycle continues...

Yes, at the moment

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by easty-5 View Post
    Probably been asked before but I thought I'd bring the subject back to life.

Are we ever content with our collection? I recently added a Tudor Black Bay & JLC Hometime to my collection and before the JLC landed I thought to myself that my collection will be complete when it arrives as I finally own the watches I had always aspired to own. I thought that I now own decent watches to cover all bases. The Tudor BB will be the weekend casual watch. My JLC will be my smart/occasion watch. My Steinhart Ocean 1 & Tag Aquaracer Chrono will be everyday watches and finally my Seiko monster will continue to be my work watch. In my opinion that's quite a varied set of watches and gives a nice change of scenery on the wrist.

So, why don't I feel as content with my collection as I thought I would? It's a terrible disease this watch admiring malarkey!
    That's actually a well thought out combination. TBH I doubt that you could improve on that much unless you decide to go upmarket and replace the Tudor with, say, a Sub etc. etc. etc. There are certainly a lot of us that would be content with the collection you have............. for a while, anyway :-)

Rob

Master
    I'm constantly on the look out. I really do try to resist the urge. My name is Sean and I'm a watchaholic.

Master

Cool

Contentment proving elusive ,and expensive.

Master
    I am content with my collection and if I could add no more, I would cope. However, that is not to say I won't swap things around a bit as there are some pieces I would like to try (and no doubt others that I will become aware of).

I genuinely thought I'd be done now after the Nautilus arrived...

I was wrong and am looking at 3 other watches to make the collection 'complete'. I think I've realised for the first time ever that if I were to acquire them, it's make no difference, there'd be three more.

There's no money right now and nothing I want to sell so I might just have to be content for now. Maybe...

No. I'm lucky though that I have some very nice pieces (at least I think so!) in my collection and at some point will start to trim it down to far fewer watches than I have now. I'm going to fine tune it first though, I think after almost seven years of collecting I have an idea of what I want.

Totally content (well after my next one arrives)

Master
    I am also quite content with my collection. But ofcourse, being an aspirational hobby, certain watches can be upgraded. I.e. My JLC for a PP/ALS etc.

But for now, looking at my income level, price of the watch, lifestyle, I am happy with what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Totally content (well after my next one arrives)
    N+1!

There's always another to find..

On various enthusiast forums I've been on (fancy rats, tropical fish, cycling), the n+1 rule has always been true, one more bike, one more fish, one more rat.... We just can't help ourselves.

I wonder if those on mumsnet forever hanker after the next child...?

Yes.
    I have phases of contentedness.
    These, however, are interspersed with periods of yearning for something different.....

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    I don't mean this in a negative way as most of us are afflicted by it to some extent, but it's a classic case of oniomania, or shopaholism. The highs of the desire, the "hunt", and the eventual purchase are often met with disappointment and/or guilt over the expenditure, which is then followed up by the need to recapture the high again.
    This rings true for me. It's all about the anticipation of the next arrival. My new years resolution is to become more mindful of this urge and more content with what I have.

I have tried to fix this by having a set number of empty spaces in my watch box. Once they are filled a watch HAS to go to make way for another as I would have nowhere to store the new incomer. At least this is helping keep my expenditure down to some extent.

Master
    I can't say I'm ever content, before my new incoming I'm looking at the next purchase, I suppose it's the thrill of the chase.The trouble is that I have a few purchases that have yet to be worn, and that's why I feel guilty more so as my collection grows.

Craftsman
    I keep it under control with a set of ground rules. I am sure most of you do the same but some rules are made to be broken!

Journeyman
    A constant work in progress innit? Doing til the end. :)

My enthusiasm has waned in the last 12 months. I enjoy the forum but no longer have the same desire to buy any more watches. I keep thinking about down sizing or doing some swaps but unless I find myself under financial pressure I may as well just keep hold for now.

Only watches I've taken a liking to recently have been the new Seadweller and the GMT BLNR. I'm just not comfortable spending that sort of money these days. Rolex haven't increased their prices for a few years now so one can take quite a hit these days if reselling.
    I've accumulated a number of black faced divers, all very similar so perhaps a change is in order. As for the one watch for everything, I'm still looking.
    Last edited by mylofitz; 6th January 2015 at 12:57.

I am never content, and if I set any rules. I always break them! For me, I would need to step away from SC, and probably Watch Talk too, as someone always find something interesting

As per usual I start the year with "No new watches" yet I have bought 3 already (and 2 jackets)!!!!

Grand Master
    Am I content with my collection? YES!

I`ve been collecting for 20+ years and I can`t think of anything I don`t own that I`d really like to own.

Take the long-term view, buy stuff you really like when you've got the spare cash, and don`t be tempted to sell something you like unless you really need the money. The worst mistake is to sell something to finance another, then find you preferred the one you've sold.

Don`t be drawn into the aspirational spiral with the really expensive watches; in my experience the pleasure is short-lived. I`ve sold the watches that fitted that bill and I now get more pleasure from the ones I bought years ago for a couple of hundred quid.

Looking back, I`ve let a couple go that I really should've kept. Both were sold for the wrong reasons in hindsight. One was a C-cased early 70s steel Constellation on the original bracelet, the other a 36.2mm Aqua Terra.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 6th January 2015 at 11:29.

Master
    im happy enough, that said, i did just buy a watch this weekend.

i have bought and own all of the watches i have really wanted to own so am happy in that respect but i find that if i end up with an amount of cash which equals the same value of a watch i have seen and like the idea of, i will buy it.

to be honest, i have financial plans that start this year and as such, i dont see me having the money to buy ANY watches for the forseeable future. the recent saving for watches has been good practice for the saving i have started now.

I started forming a collection with the intent of having only what i though of as Iconic watches.

This has evolved to include, "oh i didn't know about those", "Micro brands make some nice stuff", "but it's used by the military", "look it has a lever for the crown" and "shiny"

Craftsman
    Some interesting replies and I'm glad it's not just me. The feeling of wanting to add another watch could also be largely down to the fact that I won't be able to purchase anything for a long time due to an impending house move. So as the old saying goes, we always want what we can't have.

Craftsman
    I accept that I will never be 100% content - I will always have too many, some I don`t wear, some I really should sell - and others that I would like to try

Doesn`t mean I am unhappy - it`s just that there will always be an excuse / reason to keep looking. I do have an actual list of watches I may be tempted by, but until something is a clear number one or I reduce the collection it will (probably) just remain a list.

Master
    I think anyone who participates in this forum is interested in finding out about new (to them) watches to admire, and occasionally enjoys acquiring them too. For me this is compatible with being happy with what you have. Gradually watches I've enjoyed already get passed on to others and new ones come in. Gradually the collection changes and hopefully improves. There's no particular hurry. Enjoying the journey is the point, not reaching some notional destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    On various enthusiast forums I've been on (fancy rats, tropical fish, cycling), the n+1 rule has always been true, one more bike, one more fish, one more rat.... We just can't help ourselves.

I wonder if those on mumsnet forever hanker after the next child...?
    I'm sorry, is that a misprint or did you really say "rats" ???

Simon

I was. For a while. Then I stopped going to the grail and started wearing my others. Then I saw a new grail. And that's not been off the wrist but I still find myself looking at a Rolex GMT Coke bezel (never had a Rolex) to "complete" the collection (once more).

I tell myself they're investments, none of them will lose me money if I sell them, in fact I might even make a minor profit on one of them...

Is it complete? Yes. For now. But lets wait and see before we say truly complete shall we?
    Last edited by tiny73; 6th January 2015 at 12:44.

Oh, right, sorry... back on topic...

Am I ever completely content? No, but my urge to acquire seems to go in cycles. At the moment it's relatively dormant as I have a number of watches that I now regard as keepers, which fulfil some of the key roles in my collection (at least that's what I'm telling myself this week).

I think it's true that ones' tastes change, and also that watches come to your attention that you had never really thought about and that you then decide to try. My Maranez Layan very much fell into that category - I had never seriously considered buying a brass watch until someone posted a thread about the Layan on Watch Talk and I decided I really wanted one.

Simon

For the most part i'm content with what i have as a collection :)
    Main reason being, I've avoided any running theme, and I've added things that tick the right boxes for me, instead of the chasing down missing watches i perceive as "I should have" or "missing from collection".
    Granted this means I own some proper junk, and on the weekend bought a NOS Swatch Aquachrono like the i used to have when i was 16 :p

I think its far too easy to get too makes a collection too specialized, in which case you'll never be content, hunting for that rare mil-spec/random dial variation/watch "X"
    (the chase is part of the thrill to be fair)

All that said, i probably "should have" a Zenith El Primero of some kind, and Speedmaster just to even out the lack of chrono's.

Yes, very much so.
    One "beater"
    One everyday/sports
    One "best"

I do still love to look at watches and remain fascinated by both the industry/marketting side (recently read that some high end brands spend 60% of their income on marketting...don't know if that's true) and the technology/mechanisms of the things.

I can't say I want to actually own any more though as the ones I have now are just prefect for the job I want them to do and I have reached an stage in which the allure of the "high end" brands has worn off significantly. That said my "best" watch cost what many people would consider to be "a lot" of money and so I'm not immune. It's a solid gold Ball watch...i think it's lovely but it's not really considered "high end".

I love the hobby without wanting to buy more.

I'm happy with what Ive got, but until shops close and the internet falls over I'll probably always see something else.

Master
    I would say yes. I have long spells of contentment (up to 2 years). But I am neither a frequent buyer nor a flipper. And part of my strategy is to have a long term shortlist, so I always have the next couple of candidates in the back of my mind. But I don't find that I need/enjoy the actual hunt all that much. The research yes, but not the actual process of hunting a specific watch down.

Yes

I am. There are always some I would add, or even part with but it doesn't keep me up at night.

Yes I am, but always looking for something special ;)

No. And never will be.

I don't see how you can and still be a collector.

I have found vintage Seiko divers to be totally addictive. Every one I buy is slightly different to any others. The more I learn about them, the more I see there is learn, and it is a lot fun. Collecting also gives me another interest beyond work.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    No. And never will be.

I don't see how you can and still be a collector.
    +1

While I'm very happy with my small collection(I used to own far more, but cheaper watches), I'll never be content, that itch to look for another watch will always be there as it has since a young age. Difference is I'm now able to spoil myself where I used to look on and dream about my desired watch for years.

I think I've bought what will remain my most expensive watch in the Speedy, I don't like spending that kind of money on a wrist watch and if it hadn't been for the fact it was always my ultimate watch, I'd never shake the guilt of irrisponsibleness(is that a word? spelling certainly not) But the search continues around cheaper(300-500) bargains, for now I'm showing restraint but the thrill of the chase is too great for it to hold out indefinitely.

I am now trying to employ a one out one in mind you, but it gets tough to let something go. This I use as a gauge to "do I REALLY want this watch?", it does help.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 6th January 2015 at 17:19.

I think the only way I'll find contentment is to go down to 1 watch, and "leave the game". It probably wouldn't matter which watch, either.

After about ten years and starting out with an Invicta I feel I have quite a collection now, consisting of around 25 pieces including Breitling, Hamilton, SWI, Crepas, Seiko etc.
    I tend to get more and more picky about what I want next and I'm somehow getting more and more less hungry for other watches.
    Still a few watches out there I want though.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    I genuinely thought I'd be done now after the Nautilus arrived...

I was wrong and am looking at 3 other watches to make the collection 'complete'. I think I've realised for the first time ever that if I were to acquire them, it's make no difference, there'd be three more.

There's no money right now and nothing I want to sell so I might just have to be content for now. Maybe...
    interesting....I bought my Nautilus (5712) to "cure" the chase/acquire/sell disease. It has been reasonably successful as it drained the watch fund x 3 !!! However was just on a cruise and whilst in St Barts tried on a Zenith ...it was a good deal, and my wife was certainly not discouraging me from buying it....but I told the guy I needed 5 minutes walk to think about it. That time was so I could call my pal Jacob (JC180) to discuss it with him & have him check the price. In that break the urge went and I have not since thought it a missed opportunity. On the contrary, since then I have thought that it would just be another watch getting enough wear.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    interesting....I bought my Nautilus (5712) to "cure" the chase/acquire/sell disease. It has been reasonably successful as it drained the watch fund x 3 !!! .
    It can help to spend big on a watch or two and deplete the whole watch fund. While you have disposable money your mind will often be racing and searching, it's what these forums are half for.

Master
    Totally happy with mine.

Kind of regret selling my Moonwatch but it just wasn't getting much wrist time. Service costs also influence the size of my small collection.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    Totally happy with mine.

Kind of regret selling my Moonwatch but it just wasn't getting much wrist time. Service costs also influence the size of my small collection.
    Servicing costs is a major factor for my keeping just a few pieces too, but quite satisfied with what I have...for now.

Master
    I’m never completely satisfied as there is always something else out there to try.

As with many things (cars, cameras, hi-fi - all the expensive stuff) I tend to try many different models before finally settling on one. This can be expensive and time consuming, but I find that I only really get to know whether the chosen model ticks all the boxes after some use and a few months ownership. Then of course there is upgrade-itis, which also rears its head from time to time. I actually enjoy doing it this way as I like researching an item, as well as the buzz of getting a new toy and having owned and experienced a few different ones. Inevitably though it results in some money lost, as we’re not talking about appreciating assets. It’s not quite the same as an addiction though. I know that I can and will stop when I can no longer afford to do it. I think!