closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: e.bay: Listing removed for having NATO in the title!

Master

e.bay: Listing removed for having NATO in the title!

I've done a quick search and it seems this has happened before. International Watchman Inc. have the copyright to NATO (how the f*** can something like the North Atlantic Treaty be copyrighted by an individual???) and have complained to e.bay about me using NATO in the title of one of my listings.

Just seems a total joke to me, there are hundreds of listings using that in the title.

I have been furnished with an e.mail address for him, is it worth even bothering?

Cousins Supplies sell NATO straps, it's just the common name for the things for gods sake!

Master
    Been brought up a couple of times before. A completly ludicrous situation. The world seems to have an inexhaustable supply of imbeciles.

Master
    No arguing it?
    I mean, it's just a name - even if it's a brand name!
    What's to stop Rolex pulling all listings to use Rolex in the title, does fair-use not come into play?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Been brought up a couple of times before. A completly ludicrous situation. The world seems to have an inexhaustable supply of imbeciles.
    You do realize that this is the LAW at work?!

I totally agree though that the present day use of the law is very often questionable. It is ever so often about interests, not 'justice' and even that is relative.
    Very sad as it makes the whole concept lose in power and respect.

One assumes it the US that's causing the problems (as there's no TM for NATO straps in the UK - although Eddie owns it for clocks, from memory). Short-term, remove the ability to ship to the US / international site visibility, and you might get away with it.

I recall Phoenix Straps raising this a couple of years ago (on MWR). People talked about a legal challenge, but I doubt there's been the appetite. It's a shame that these things happen. A race to the bottom, as usual...

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    No arguing it?
    I mean, it's just a name - even if it's a brand name!
    What's to stop Rolex pulling all listings to use Rolex in the title, does fair-use not come into play?
    There is a difference.

Rolex watches are made by Rolex, most 'NATO' straps have nothing to do with the organization.

Similar case in point if you describe a watch as 'Tank' shaped - Cartier have the trademark on this and listings have been removed, even for non-Cartier watches.

Master
    Crackers innit?
    No worries, I'll re-do the listing and call it a Military Strap instead, just hope the MoD don't pull me up this time...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    There is a difference.
    Not really. It is simply ALL about trademark protection.
    Reasonable or not is not the issue.
    Same thing the 'Broadarrow' and even Panerai crown guard. The 'Marina Militare' goof up illustrated what a rip off it all too often is.

Master
    Thought this was only a US issue - are they removing from .co.uk too?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Camsfirie View Post
    This is an interesting read about Ronald E. Sabo Jr. and International Watchman:

International Watchman, Inc. v. The NATO Strap Co. et al

http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal...1986/203734/33

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/granule/USC..._13-cv-01986-0

http://www.plainsite.org/dockets/2an...trap-co-et-al/

http://leagle.com/decision/In%20FDCO...O%20STRAP%20CO.
    Summary:

Defendants' Motion for Summary Judgment of Trademark Invalidity for Genericness (Doc. 43) is DENIED.

In normal English: The trademark protection is valid and legal.

Now how about Swiss luxury brands advertising/marketing their OEM 'Nato' straps?

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    I'm going to have to ask you not to use that word. It's my registered brand name for my new range of gaskets for dummies.

I believe Eddie now owns NATO as a trademark related to watch straps in the UK.

Not elsewhere, but certainly here.

Oh, and I also believe he doesn't mind who uses it; he registered it here to stop IW from having it.

Journeyman
    God I hate ebay!

Master
    So if Eddie owns the NATO trademark in the UK and he doesn't mind anyone using it, why are ebay deleting the listing? Are you listing it on .com rather than .co.uk ?

Master
    Similar thing with Porsche with the word targa. No other car company is allowed to use the word targa in the description of their car. How on earth is a company. Allowed to patent a word from a dictionary.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    How on earth is a company. Allowed to patent a word from a dictionary.
    That is the law for ye.

You invent something, call it 'The Law' and slap a trade mark on it!!

It gets worse though.
    If someone has trademarked say 'Brown' as brand you are pretty much screwed if that is your family name and the family business bearing that name can be construed to be confusing the trademarked business.

Theres a workaround, you have to list ticking "will not ship to US" ... he has trademark for USA but nowhere else

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Similar thing with Porsche with the word targa. No other car company is allowed to use the word targa in the description of their car. How on earth is a company. Allowed to patent a word from a dictionary.
    Well, Porsche were originally going to call the 911 the 901, but Peugeot had the trademark on all numbers with a 0 in the middle when used as a car name. Many parts for early 911s still have 901 at the beginning of the part number.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    I believe Eddie now owns NATO as a trademark related to watch straps in the UK.

Not elsewhere, but certainly here.

Oh, and I also believe he doesn't mind who uses it; he registered it here to stop IW from having it.
    Fair play!

Journeyman
    I was selling items (not watch related) on ebay and some got pulled. Ebay gave a reason which was fair enough, but there were loads of others selling the same stuff and it was not getting pulled! Believe me it ain't worth saying anything as they are not interested. I had to re-word the titles to get them back on. They were then not pulled, so think the heading is what they check, unless someone reports you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    So if Eddie owns the NATO trademark in the UK and he doesn't mind anyone using it, why are ebay deleting the listing? Are you listing it on .com rather than .co.uk ?
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasrichmond View Post
    Theres a workaround, you have to list ticking "will not ship to US" ... he has trademark for USA but nowhere else

Yep it's this now Global Shipping thing which automatically lists your item on every countries individual site. I've now opted out, it's caused me more trouble in the last 2 months than anything.

Master
    Trademark bottom feeders everywhere, lowlifes http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-30797059