closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you love your Monday morning drive

Do you love your Monday morning drive

NO ,180 miles doncaster to London ,4 hrs,,thank his for Vanessa and Chris

Mine is ok at 2.6 miles (if I don't take the short cut!)

Everyday is a 90 mile journey but this Monday I will enjoy.I will wake up in a hotel room in Dorset.

Mine is 30 second walk to station, 4 minute train and then 4 minute walk - although it is hit and miss if i decide to go in on mondays.

Blog Entries
    12 min. on my commuter bike.

M.

Master
    Not working any Monday's this month so everyone has a commute of 14 steps from the bedroom to the living room, which is good as all it's done all day is rain in Dorset today, on the downside I seem to be working most weekends this month.

6 minute stroll to work. My panic alarm (if the radio fails to wake me) goes off at 6.40am. I start at 7am, finish at 10am. Stroll home for breakfast and more coffee.

Master
    It's a walk for me. Ten minutes and I'm there. Monday to Friday. I can trim a few minutes off if I'm running late.

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    6 minute stroll to work. My panic alarm (if the radio fails to wake me) goes off at 6.40am. I start at 7am, finish at 10am. Stroll home for breakfast and more coffee.
    Sounds good to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Sounds good to me!
    It's all very well for you. Monday mornings usually involve the lower end of the M3 at just after 7am, at which point it's usually at a standstill.

I have a theory that, much like Jury service, you receive a letter telling you that "you have been selected to cause an accident or break down between Junctions 13 and 11 of the M3 Northbound at 7am on Monday 12 January 2014".

I thought that I had finished with sitting in stationary traffic on England's motorway network when I retired from my previous life.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Are you my postman?
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    It's all very well for you. Monday mornings usually involve the lower end of the M3 at just after 7am, at which point it's usually at a standstill.

I have a theory that, much like Jury service, you receive a letter telling you that "you have been selected to cause an accident or break down between Junctions 13 and 11 of the M3 Northbound at 7am on Monday 12 January 2014".

I thought that I had finished with sitting in stationary traffic on England's motorway network when I retired from my previous life.
    And same again on Tuesday 13th...
    Normal commute of 45-60 mins. Currently 45 mins in and not moving very fast as the M3 is screwed this morning and so are all roads into Southampton

Journeyman
    I have two flights of stairs to get to my office. I can do two steps at a time if I'm running late.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Have you read "The Lottery in Babylon" by Jorge Luis Borges? It explains how everything that happens is the result of a Lottery win, or lose!
    I generally work from home unless I'm out gigging.

Monday morning; Went into Southampton for my daughter's hospital appointment - M27 = hell on earth (thanks to the southern end of the M3 and Southampton road works). Normal commute is 60+ minutes into Aldershot; complete pain due to A3, Farnham and weather.
    In 2 weeks however, it shall be a 6 minute commute thanks to a new job!

Maybe 5 mins drive, if I get up late and have to wait for light traffic, or stop at one set of lights - commuting heaven :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Banned
    Love it. An hour on the bike.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Mine is 30 second walk to station, 4 minute train and then 4 minute walk - although it is hit and miss if i decide to go in on mondays.
    Why bother taking a train for one stop? Might as well just walk the whole way.

If I was looking at a 2 hour a day commute - or maybe even 90 mins, I think i'd be giving it all up and getting a job selling icecream!

Get up, walk across the landing - It could be worse...

I must admit, though, I'd rather travel more as I did in my last role.

M.

Mine takes me about 15 seconds, 25 if I stop in the kitchen to pick up a cuppa on the way to my home office. I'm thankful for many things in my life and not having a crappy commute is one of them :)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    If I was looking at a 2 hour a day commute - or maybe even 90 mins, I think i'd be giving it all up and getting a job selling icecream!
    An hour door to door is not at all uncommon for London if you work in the City.

Master
    My wife commutes 90 minutes each way, can be longer depending on the time of day and the traffic on her way to Southampton the joys of the A35, A31 and M27.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    An hour door to door is not at all uncommon for London if you work in the City.
    An hour door to door is pretty good for a lot of people!

When I go to London, it's 90 minutes minimum door to door, often 120 minutes.

This, of course, is why I wouldn't work in London full time - No-one would pay me enough to justify 50% extra on my day.

M.

Blog Entries
    Usual Monday morning is just a walk down the stairs....so I'm quite lucky I guess.

On the odd occasion I do commute it is a 40 mile/~1hr drive on the M1 or a 1hr (door to door) via train/tube to central London.

Why bother taking a train for one stop? Might as well just walk the whole way.
    I would have to get up before 8am - it would be about 40 minutes extra walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I can't find it now but there was some research that indicated that for every daily hour of commute each way you needed to earn something like an additional twenty grand to be as happy with someone who travels less than ten minutes

I know nothing of this "work" of which you write. What is this thing?

F.T.F.A.

I used to drive 40,000 miles a year covering the UK in my sales job. Until 1996 when I started my own business from home, then 2 years later moved the company into a business unit less than 2 miles away. Very nice.

My driver picks me up at 7:10 and then it's a 50 minute commute through the maddest traffic you could imagine.

It'd take me two hours if I drove myself, if I made it there at all
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 13th January 2015 at 14:36.

I have 3 choices nowadays:
    - a bus that's about 25 min and almost door-to-door,
    - a tube ride of barely 5 mins + a 10-15 min walk,
    - a bike ride of about 20-25 minutes.
    Bus wins out when it's rubbish weather...! Tube when I miss the bus and don't want to wait 15 mins for the next one. Totally need to get back on my bike....

Used to drive between Bristol and Cheddar, which was a beautiful drive and actually quite fun - during the rare times when I wasn't anxious or feeling ill because of the stress. Teaching is hard.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I can't find it now but there was some research that indicated that for every daily hour of commute each way you needed to earn something like an additional twenty grand to be as happy with someone who travels less than ten minutes
    I can believe that I commuted to the wonder they call Basingstoke for 6 months or so, it took me just over 2 hours each way. I hated it not due to the commute but due to the job, I jumped at the chance to get in to Bournemouth office, and did about a year there but at the end of the day it was the job I hated. An extra 40k may have changed it for me.

I'm considering applying for a transfer to our London office at the moment, because I love my job, and moving to the London office will give me full time hours and access to a wider client base and make it more rewarding (not in a financial way) as I can access more services for my clients.

Blog Entries
    18 months ago I was working in west London for half the week away from my wife and 3 kids

I made the decision that something would have to give... My commute is now 10 mins and I often cycle it (25 mins)

God how I miss my hotel room! 😛

Love it. An hour on the bike.
    Me too, 30 mins on the bike. It's the arriving at work bit I don't like!

I decided to live away from home during the week (I couldn't stomach a 4hr daily commute), giving me a 35min walk each way instead through (largely) beautiful Edinburgh - one of the my favourite parts of the day.

Master
    about half an hour up to 40mins in first or second gear...6 miles down the road. Or 25mins on the push bike

I even tried....1h 20m walk or 15mins on the motorbike ....and nearly 2 hrs on the bus (well 2 of them) what a joke

I have 2 offices - one a 15 minute drive, one a 1 hour drive. Far, far prefer the closer.

Master
    7 minute cycle ride for a 7am start

Master
    Only when the kids are off school as it makes the traffic then almost bearable.

I can generally start when I want but try to at least get in before 8:30.

The journey is 1.9 miles. If the traffic is clear and the lights and in my favour, I've made the trip in under 3 minutes.

No vehicles involved. 30 seconds to downstairs study.

I have been considering renting an office at a business park four miles away. They have a 24/7 sauna and pool, and I quite like a morning swim.

The actual offices are 70 minutes and 2,5 hrs away, but I mostly use video calls rather than drive.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I know nothing of this "work" of which you write. What is this thing?

I vaguely remember it, very tiresome and cut into my day.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    40 minute drive to the station, followed by an hour on the train and then tube across London. All in all around two hours door to door, but worth it to be able to live where we do. It sounds like a ball ache but you get used to it and the train journey is actually the only hour of peace and quiet I get !

On a bad week I travel to Edinburgh every day and back from Newcastle by car I can do it in 2 hrs ish

on a good week I travel to London Sunday night and back on Friday night

The joys of working for a living :-(

Craftsman
    Go down stairs and fire up the ovens.

Or go the muddy way if I'm working elsewhere.

Work from home most days, so it's about six metres for me.
    Our stairs are pretty treacherous though....

I don't work Mondays, or Fridays, and only every second Thursday. My 'commute' takes roughly 1hr 50m and I stay with friends overnight when I get there. I can do there and back easily in a day, but the fuel costs and how twisty the journey is both play havoc with my stomach! One of the finest driving roads in the UK right enough, and some of the views, when weather permits, are spectacular.

Took me 3hr 20m yesterday due to snow; non-winter tyre users were holding me up at various points!

I've been working for 28 years, had a driving licence and a car in all that time and - apart from a brief dabble with motorbikes - never driven to work! Much prefer public transport, cheaper and easier - but living in London it's the only viable option unless you want to get stressed out every morning!

I'm hoping I don't have a crazy commute when I move to Australia. I guess it all comes down to how much it costs to live closer to where you work to make it feasible. However being spoilt, commute wise, for the vast majority of my life I don't think I could handle it, and would (all things being equal) always choose a lower paid job closer to home.

Master
    Approx 45 mins to 1 hour each way in a car. But I car share with two others, we drive one week each. So for two weeks I get to snooze on the way to and from work, which is nice. Really wish I could find a job near to home, would like to cycle to work for fitness and health.