closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Guitarists - delay pedals?

Guitarists - delay pedals?

Hello, do any of the forum guitarists have recommendations for delay pedals?

The three that have risen to the top from on-line research are, the Boss DD3, the MXR Carbon Copy and the TC Flashback.
    Anyone willing to share experiences with those three or should I be looking at others?

I'd be using it into a Blues Junior from a Telecaster.

Thanks for any advice!

David

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Hello, do any of the forum guitarists have recommendations for delay pedals?

The three that have risen to the top from on-line research are, the Boss DD3, the MXR Carbon Copy and the TC Flashback.
    Anyone willing to share experiences with those three or should I be looking at others?

I'd be using it into a Blues Junior from a Telecaster.

Thanks for any advice!

David
    The boss will be the one a lot of corksniffers would come down on for being digital, but I've yet to hear an actual gigging guitarist complain about one. And doubt at gigging levels, using run of the mill delay setting, any punter will know what they're listening to, just that it's echoey. Solid, reliable, good sound, will last forever. boss is also the gshock of pedals

The Carbon copy is the most authentic old school analogue delay on the list, so it will be very dark and organic (yes, i used the world organic), great decay, well regarded by those into playing pre digital era music. although i believe the max delay time is rather limited compared to the others at 300ms, but unless you're a Gilmour fan or playing seriously ambient experimental stuff, I wouldn't worry. MXR is another industry standard for construction.

The TC Flashback I've no experience with but I've been told is a great choice also, whereas the other 2 are either analog or digital, the TC is one of those digital pedals that models analog. apparently very versatile, doing a great approximation of analogy and simple to use. Follows the mxr type construction pattern.

It all depends weather you have star trek syndrome about your signal chain. Something to take into consideration is true bypass, but not for the usual corksniffer reasons as buffers can be great things. What i mean is when the pedal is off, I like the signal to stay analog.

Another choice, but pricier (with according versatility) is the Strymon pedals. I use the Brigadier (analog sim). Strymon are notable in how they model analog effects. They don't just attempt to replicate the output of a tape or analog delay, they model the analog circuit digitally. I defy ayone to tell the difference between a carbon copy and a Brig set up to sound like one in a blind test. The advantage of this is that the strymon gives you control over far more parameters because digital is adjustable. For instance, like all the characteristics of an analog delay except for the darkness (as i do)? great, then you can control how dark the sim is, i have mine set quit bright, so you get the unaltered presence in the initial repeats which decay away into that great analog mush.

Another thing I like about it that only the repeats are digital, the core signal is still analog. If in the event you ever use a line level effects loop, it has the headroom for that too.

Construction wise, up there with the others. Its a thick bent aluminium thick chassis and everything inside is bolted together solidly, with respectable thick pcb's. SMT construction, but most things outside of the boutique market are these days, including your selections above. What differentiates strymon is no other independent small brand is doing what they do. Most of the big brands aren't even doing it, can only think of eventide.. Not at that price point. Btw, if you're in the market for a reverb, check out the sound sample of the Blue Sky pedals shimmer mode on their website.

So obviously I like it.. lol and that's from a guy who won't normally touch digital (star trek syndrome).

Also, from your setup, I'm going to take a leap and say you keep it classic? Check out a deluxe memory man too
    Last edited by tekbow; 14th January 2015 at 14:23.

Master
    Now you're talking!

I love my delay pedals but you cant beat a Roland Space Echo RE201! Not practical but lush sounds... anyways...

Depending on your budget these are all good:

Boss DD20
    Boss DD5 or DD3
    Boss loop station
    Boss RE20 (not as good as the real thing but practical!)
    Line 6 DL4

I have all of the above so if you have specific questions let me know...

Quote Originally Posted by teknicolourfox View Post
    Now you're talking!

I love my delay pedals but you cant beat a Roland Space Echo RE201! Not practical but lush sounds... anyways...

Depending on your budget these are all good:

Boss DD20
    Boss DD5 or DD3
    Boss loop station
    Boss RE20 (not as good as the real thing but practical!)
    Line 6 DL4

I have all of the above so if you have specific questions let me know...
    Blimey. you like a delay!

I'm not too much of a pedal bod but I use this from the '80's.

Does the job.

Cheers,
    Neil.

BTW - Tekbow?

Would be good if you added your guitars to our "show your guitars" thread on this part of the forum.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Thanks very much for all the comments, especially Simon's detailed reviews. I've also learnt the word "corksniffer." :)

The music I enjoy is definitely pre-digital and I like to keep the signal chain as simple as possible, most often Tele => amp, occasionally with a BD2 pedal added. My first amp was a Mustang II, which I moved on given the option paralysis it induced. Of all the effects it had, I only miss the delay, the Blues Junior having a spring reverb. I'm still very much learning my way round the guitar and effects, so I think the different types of delay on the TC and Boss might just muddy the waters in my tiny musical brain. Simple and analogue appeals, well guessed Simon! The £2 coin collection has been raided for an MXR.

Thanks again to all.

I'd be looking at the ehx memory man for analogue, the dd6 for digital

Quote Originally Posted by teknicolourfox View Post

I used to have a Space Echo! Damn it was a fine piece of kit but way too impractical. I loved the hiss and the noise and the decay was outstanding!

Currently I use a TC Alter Ego on the tape setting with my clarinet on a wireless system with a barrel mic. Pretty good tone and decay and very small, so really practical for travelling. Oh, and extremely reliable. I used to use an EHX Memory Toy that sounded perfect for my needs but needed it's own power supply otherwise it buzzed like a swarm of wasps. Not good when you need to power three, sometimes four items.

Strymon end of, best delay pedals out there, and not crazy money, or look at the eventide H9 core, that is also amazing, you buy and load algorithms onto it and can save as many permutations as you like.

amazing period, Merlin, you can now get a digital space echo that sounds amazing similar to the original minus all the bad parts!

David, more than welcome mate, you made what I think is an excellent choice. Its the one I'd have picked from your options. Enjoy the mushy goodness!

Neil, I already did :) you even said hello!

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post3256644

I think that link will take you straight to the post. Btw your lockbox delay is supposed to be a very nice pedal, loco box are considered to be a bit of a cult classic, especially their compressors.

To answer you on MIJ guitars here rather than the fakes thread, the real strength with MIJ guitars is consistency. They are findable thru many grey market dealers in the UK who keep them as "I've something in the back you might like" type guitars. ESP do an impressive range of all out fender and Gibson clones that are hard to find outside Japan. But I digress.. MIJ fender and consistency. The shop I got mine in was one such grey dealer, and I went in that day looking to buy an American standard. I tried maybe 4 US standards and 3 MIJ St65TX guitars (62 style with Texas specials occupying a similar position in the MIJ range). Here's what I noticed. The US guitars,in a sample of 4 ranged from "pig" to "wow" in terms of sound, fit and finish. The MIJ, on the same scale in direct comparison were all excellent, say 90 to 95% as "good" as the wow guitar. The one I chose was the lightest and I like three tone sunburst. Plus it was 300 quid cheaper than the US guitars.

The story goes that parent fender restricted fender Japan to home market only for any models that were direct competition for US models as fender Japan was fender US biggest competitor. People were buying Japanese guitars over American ones.

The electronics are by and large much better these days. My old MIJ squire had scratchy 5 way selectors and pots from pretty early in. The pots on my 62RI are still good after a number of years. The selector switch is still a bit of a weak point though
    Last edited by tekbow; 14th January 2015 at 14:19.

Get in touch and we will do you a great price on all these pedals.

Boss for a good stable delay if you're playing live, if you're a bedroom playing tone hound then there are better options I'm sure. I used my stuff while gigging though so used boss. Now I'm not gigging I don't even bother with a delay if I use my board at all I get my thickened sound through a quality chorus or univibe if I want to sound like a 60's throwback :-)

Master
    Have had a few delays over the years - first the obligatory Boss DD3, followed by a EHX Memory Man Deluxe and am now settled on a MXR Carbon Copy.

I too am a sucker for MIJ guitar - E Series Fender Squier Strat, Vista Series Fender Squier Jagmaster, Tokai Love Rock, Tokai Reborn SG and a Yairi acoustic.

Quote Originally Posted by tekbow View Post

Senility creeping in!

I think that link will take you straight to the post. Btw your lockbox delay is supposed to be a very nice pedal, loco box are considered to be a bit of a cult classic, especially their compressors.
    Cheers for that. I have often seen myself as a bit of a cult!

To answer you on MIJ guitars here rather than the fakes thread, the real strength with MIJ guitars is consistency. They are findable thru many grey market dealers in the UK who keep them as "I've something in the back you might like" type guitars. ESP do an impressive range of all out fender and Gibson clones that are hard to find outside Japan. But I digress.. MIJ fender and consistency. The shop I got mine in was one such grey dealer, and I went in that day looking to buy an American standard. I tried maybe 4 US standards and 3 MIJ St65TX guitars (62 style with Texas specials occupying a similar position in the MIJ range). Here's what I noticed. The US guitars,in a sample of 4 ranged from "pig" to "wow" in terms of sound, fit and finish. The MIJ, on the same scale in direct comparison were all excellent, say 90 to 95% as "good" as the wow guitar. The one I chose was the lightest and I like three tone sunburst. Plus it was 300 quid cheaper than the US guitars.

The story goes that parent fender restricted fender Japan to home market only for any models that were direct competition for US models as fender Japan was fender US biggest competitor. People were buying Japanese guitars over American ones.

The electronics are by and large much better these days. My old MIJ squire had scratchy 5 way selectors and pots from pretty early in. The pots on my 62RI are still good after a number of years. The selector switch is still a bit of a weak point though
    Good info.

I recall back in the '80's there were only American or Japanese Fenders available over here.

I wish I had bought that MIJ pink paisley Strat when they were £299.

Now over here Fenders second row is all Mex stuff with the Chinese now at the base of the pyramid.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My guitar days are prob well behind me nowadays though I did pick up the new Korg SDD3000 Pedal which the U2 fanatics are snapping up and I must admit it sounds great and I prefer the interface to the Strymon. Downsides is it is huge and can't do all the fancy stuff but I liked the directness and sound!!!

That new Timeflight looks amazing and those LEDs reminds me of my old TC2290 rack delay which is the greatest delay I've ever used!

Cant go wrong with the Strymon though - their Big Sky reverb unit is also a stunner

David, more than welcome mate, you made what I think is an excellent choice. Its the one I'd have picked from your options. Enjoy the mushy goodness!

Wow you have a lot of pedals! But the best part of your post is the 98 EBMM Axis what a body and a neck - love it.

Cheers

David

Just another quick thank you for all the ideas, and to let you know that I'm absolutely loving the MXR CC. Combining it subtly with the Blues Junior spring reverb was great fun and lifted the sound. I was able to find a couple of great settings including the 50s slapback and a reggae chop quick echo. It made me sound a better player so that can't be a bad thing. The modulation was also useful but only with some of the settings.

The only downsides are the main LED's brightness which is blinding and the speed with which it feedbacks when the regen knob is up past 12 o'clock. Regardless hours of fun were had and tonight I'm going to muck about some more. Pity the neighbours.

really like the tc flashback... have it in my late night practice set up.

Quote Originally Posted by markblack View Post
    really like the tc flashback... have it in my late night practice set up.

How's that wee amt wah? Heard good things about em