closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Planet Ocean bracelet sizing....

Master

Planet Ocean bracelet sizing....

so following on from my new purchase I now have the same problem as I had with my current daily Planet Ocean.
    i just can't get the perfect fit. Now this new PO does come with a half link which for most of us would probably help but not me, if I fit the half link it is ridiculously loose and when I take it out it's actually fine for a while but if I heat up any then it starts to get a bit tight.
    i find this (major?) problem really annoying considering the price of the watch, not necessarily Omega fault but just wish they made micro adjustments in their clasps.
    i naively assumed the 2 bracelets would be the same but the clasp is smaller on the new one.

so I remember someone telling me once that if I put 2 half links in instead of 1 full link that will make the difference as 2 halves aren't the same size as a full. Am I right in saying that?

I do do plan on keeping this one for a long time so I'd like to get it right.
    any help as always is much appreciated.
    Another quick pic of the watch by way of thankyou in advance :)

Firstly.. Loving the watch.
    Secondly iirc when you use two halves they are slightly bigger than 1 due to the gap it leaves between the links.. So I say try it and see how it feels..

Did I say nice watch?? Ha ha

Master
    Thanks! The blue just doesn't show properly in photos, has to been seen to be fully appreciated.

so just to clarify, as the watch sits now, with the one half link out, which will make it a bit tight after a while. I want to remove one full link and then put 2 half links in? This should make it slightly looser than its current fit? I'm easily confused.

Blog Entries
    That's what I've done with my 42mm PO and it seems to work. Why Omega can't provide some sort of micro-adjustment is beyond me, it's an unreasonably annoying feature of what is otherwise a great watch IMO.

If the half-link approach doesn't work, there's always the new range of Official Omega NATOs. If you have more money than sense... ;-)

Master
    I'll give Lunns a call and see if my mate can get me a half link in, maybe FOC if I'm lucky.
    on the subject of strap options, is there a blue version of the black rubber I have for my, well black PO?

Master
    Half links are actually two thirds.

It sounds like you need to buy another half link and use both of them in place of a full link, which gives you one and a third of a link. If you bought the watch new from a boutique, they should supply you the half link for free if you ask nicely. Otherwise they can order one and they're around £50 for the titanium version I think.

Yes, there's a blue rubber option with titanium deployant to match. This is the combo I have on my chrono at the moment:

Master
    Thanks for that, I've sent him a text there so I'll see what he says.
    i can only assume that because it's a rubber with deployant then it's gonna be expensive. I was thinking more along the lines of the rubber with standard tang buckle.....

If it's the same measurements as my AT bracelet then a half link is 5mm and a whole one is 8mm. This allows you to adjust in 2 or 3 mm increments. E.g if slightly loose take out a whole link and put in a half, making it 3mm shorter. If slightly too tight take out a whole link and put in 2 halves making it 2 mm longer. With 2 half links you should be able to get a perfect fit. Hope that helps.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper-sam View Post
    Thanks for that, I've sent him a text there so I'll see what he says.
    i can only assume that because it's a rubber with deployant then it's gonna be expensive. I was thinking more along the lines of the rubber with standard tang buckle.....
    It is indeed expensive, especially the deployant, but it's awesome. Omega doesn't make a rubber tang strap for the 8500/9300 series Planet Oceans.

Master
    Thanks for all the help guys, hopefully Lunn's will get me the half link FOC. It's not too bad at this time of year with the colder weather but I know once "summer" arrives it will give me problems.
    I would love to add the rubber just for variety but couldn't justify the outlay right now.

Master
    Keep an eye on eBay, they crop up from time to time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    Keep an eye on eBay, they crop up from time to time.
    Thanks for that mate.

Master
    Sadly, his is what puts me off an Omega although otherwise I think they are great watches. A friend of mine has had a SMP and PO and has had this problem. I like bracelets, but I also like a snug, but not tight fit. Albeit my speedy has one micro adjustment in the clasp, I think I have been incredibly lucky in that it fits just right without having to resort to half links.
    I also have wrists that swell/shrink throughout the day, another reason why I love my 116610.

Master
    It's a double edged sword - I find the fully adjustable clasps e.g. Tudor Pelagos too bulky and don't look as clean i.e. parts of links hanging out in an ungainly way. I'd rather get the fit right with half links.

The new Omega micro-adjust clasp looks like it may be similar to the Tudor

Grand Master
    Why oh why don`t Omega include 2 half-links with the watch if that's what's needed to get fine adjustment? It certainly works on the 2254.50 bracelet (annoyingly only supplied with 1 half-link) and it sounds like it works on the PO.

Another example of how Omega have lost the plot thesedays. They expect you to pay a silly price for a watch that can`t be adjusted correctly.

I`m glad I don`t have the urge to buy the current offerings, I`ll stick to the vintage stuff.

Paul

Master
    Yeah when I think about how much this watch cost putting an extra half link in would have been a drop in the ocean for omega.
    Well hopefully I'll get the second one and that will be problem solved.
    Strangely enough the watch was on all day yesterday when I was out and about and it never gave me any problems.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Why oh why don`t Omega include 2 half-links with the watch if that's what's needed to get fine adjustment? It certainly works on the 2254.50 bracelet (annoyingly only supplied with 1 half-link) and it sounds like it works on the PO.

Another example of how Omega have lost the plot these days. They expect you to pay a silly price for a watch that can`t be adjusted correctly.
    They WILL include two half links at a boutique at the time of purchase if that's what you need to get the correct fit. Not everyone will need them though, so I guess that's why they aren't supplied in the box. Ask and you shall receive though

At least they have half links available, they don't make them for the Tudor Pelagos or Black Bay which is VERY annoying.

Personally I think it's a weight issue. The older, lighter weight bracelets (I'm talking generally here) and lighter watch heads allowed you to wear your watch slightly loose on the bracelet so it was still comfy when your wrist swells up. Nowadays the weight means a watch worn the same way ends up resting on the back of your hand (I've experienced this with the old PO and a sub date) - I'd just get used to wearing it a tiny but loose or get a rubber strap (which is what I did)

If ever a watch needed a clasp with a decent range of micro-adjustment, it's the Planet Ocean!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Another example of how Omega have lost the plot thesedays. They expect you to pay a silly price for a watch that can`t be adjusted correctly.

I`m glad I don`t have the urge to buy the current offerings, I`ll stick to the vintage stuff.

Paul
    2 half-links as standard would be nice, as it would have been 8 years ago with my SeMP GMT on Speedy bracelet - so it is not a new phenomenom. I'd argue with Guitarfan and say they SHOULD do it, maybe take out a ful link to save costs - I have an 8" wrist and my bracelret has a couple of spare links so they supply you with more than enough of those. At least they have caught up with Breitling, Rolex etc and are using screws rather than pins.

I have an Oemga mesh (with 5 positions in the clasp) and the Omega rubber with tang buckle so use those to get a nice fit, but the mesh has straight ends and, as already said, no tang buckle rubber available from Omega for the PO.

It's a real PITA, and now I see the PO equivalent of my GMT is about £6500, it is something I'd expect them to have addressed by now.

Master
    I have the black rubber, and omega mesh for my daily "beater" planet ocean but my favourite is by far the bracelet. As above I get bored of the mesh very quickly because I hate looking at the straight end. The rubber is good however for on holiday etc.
    hopefully Lunns will get another half link. Although my mate never got back to me, the cheek! After forking out all that money for the new watch lol.

Craftsman
    I agree with guitar fan, the way forward for best fit is the blue rubber and deployant. It actually stabilises the watch head.

I think the problem with the strap is that even if it's slightly loose then the head is not stable, they should modify the end links to make it more stable - this is certainly the issue on the XL.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacemaster View Post
    I agree with guitar fan, the way forward for best fit is the blue rubber and deployant. It actually stabilises the watch head.

I think the problem with the strap is that even if it's slightly loose then the head is not stable, they should modify the end links to make it more stable - this is certainly the issue on the XL.
    Maybe the issue with the XL is the sheer size and weight of the thing.

For anyone who's not happy with the bracelet, I`d recommend one of these https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/ca...-for-breitling

You won't get that lovely warm feeling of spending a large chunk of money on a branded strap, but believe me you can survive without it. I`ll reluctantly pay the money for branded model-specific bracelets, but I draw the line at paying silly money for watchstraps. The one I`ve highlighted served me nicely last summer on a SMP black Bond........at the end of the day a strap's a strap, unlike a bracelet they're a consumable, and it doesn`t really matter if the buckle doesn`t have the makers mark on it.

Kings New Clothes?

Paul

Craftsman
    I think the key is the way the OEM rubber is flush to the case which forces the strap ends down, therefore stabilising the head.

Master
    I agree totally with what Spacemaster says, which is why both of my PO Chronos live on the OEM rubber. By far the best fit on the market, and the best match for the large PO/POC to reduce 'wobble'.

Master
    A single half link is 2/3 the length of a full link. As a result, two half links is 1.333 regular links.