closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Talk to me about Oris

Talk to me about Oris

The brand 'Oris' have been popping up in discussions recently, so I'm curious to know peoples opinions on them as a current manufacturer / brand.

They seem to occupy the same space in the market as Longines, with some similar styling and price as well. Plus I quite like their history in that they were acquired by Swatch but then bought themselves out, becoming an independent watchmaker again as a result.

But are they actually any good?

Anyone own an Oris? How do you find it, and what comparisons would you make with them?

No answer

Sorry can't answer any of your queries -however when I can find one I think I will be getting an Aquis date on a bracelet, that's is they are as good as the pics, hope you get the answers

I have two, a BC4 Flight Timer and a TT1 Titan Chrono, bought new 3-4 years ago, and both are fantastic. The quality and attention to detail is faultless. I think they are quite adventurous for a mainstream manufacturer at their price point, with interesting features and designs. My BC4 is a case in point, marmite looks, but genuinely innovative and useful functionality (independent time zone advance, subdial home time, plus an inner rotating bezel, and a quick lock crown, which is pretty ingenious). The TT1 Chrono is, by comparison, a more ordinary watch, except it's a 300m chronograph without the need for screw pushers, and it's, hands down, the most comfortable bracelet watch I've ever tried on. Mine is the 42mm version, which I think is perfectly balanced.

Master
    There have been many threads to this effect over the years here if you use the search function. For me, I own two, and am very fond of them both. Had them a few years now, both divers (Pro Diver and Small Seconds) and the ownership experience has been good. Sturdy build quality, striking looks and good presence. I wouldn't have another because two of any brand isn't really how I want my collection to develop but if I didn't own one I am sure that I would look at them with a keen interest.

Blog Entries
    Pictures speak louder than world I love them

[IMG][/IMG]

I've got an Oris orange small second date and I love it. Really solid well put together watch that has considerable wrist presence. For the money I don't think you can lose with oris.
    I love their 110 anniversary watch.

Before i start i would like to apologise for posting this photo loads lately!

It was my first 'proper' watch and i have been very impressed with it, very good quality and although i was very nervous of dings and scrapes the DLC finish is bombproof!

Timekeeping is good and i think it is comparable to Longines is in terms of quality (just got a hydroconquest)

I will have another

I like the look of them, but the non-standard lugs puts me off ever buying one.

I have way too many Oris so may be biased, they were extremely good value for money but have recently repositioned themselves and now are 'only' good value. That said they are well made and some are different and innovative, a little faddy with the depth gauge and the altimeter but providing a lot of options to suit many tastes. As mentioned the Aquis range are very popular but you do have to consider that they have a non-standard lugs so limit the options for after market straps if they are of interest to you.

Master
    they are one of my 2 fave brands and i have 4 at the moment. i have to force myself to not buy any more as they go for excellent money on the second hand market. interesting case designs and almost all of their watches are pretty large. i would love to have got my hands on one of their 110yr anniversary models but they were a bit rich for my blood.

Journeyman
    I really enjoy mine, it's robust, good looking and easy to read at any time day or night.
    It also only cost me £500 in a sale.

Master
    I don't have an Oris currently but I have had a couple divers, a Williams F1 and an xxl pointer day.
    They are absolutely great watches and if you like a real heavy duty tool style watch, you will not be disappointed with Oris.
    The really want the regulateur, there is one FS but just can't spare the cash right now.😥

Master
    I've only got the one, but since buying it, no other watch has been on my wrist. Here it is on a Diabliq leather strap.

Quote Originally Posted by ArghZombies View Post
    and what comparisons would you make with them?
    I'll happily go along with Montybaber's view that you could compare the quality of a modern Oris with a Longines Which is praise indeed as I love Longines. Oris are still a small independent Swiss watch manufacturer who are prepared to be a little bit different so good luck to 'em!

Most Oris divers in the last 10 years would be too big for my little old 7-inch wristies but if you like larger watches then I'd recommend them. I think that Oris now fit the Sellita SW movement, you'd probably have go back 3-4 years for an ETA movement but don't let that put you off in the slightest as both movements are very good.

I've still got a couple of Oris divers from the late 90's knocking around in a drawer........when 38mm was considered man enough for the job!

I can highly recommend Oris

Cheers!
    Mark

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    I really enjoy mine, it's robust, good looking and easy to read at any time day or night.
    It also only cost me £500 in a sale.

Great watches, I have this one on a leather strap as my daily wearer and I never get bored with looking at the nice clean face with big numbers. Looks classy imo and is certainly good value for money.

My Oris wears a little smaller (less than £15 I think)

Last edited by Alansmithee; 19th January 2015 at 21:56.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    My Oris wears a little smaller (less than £15 I think)
    An Oris quartz! Interesting - I never knew they made any.

As others said solid, well built.
    Have a few that I wear with pleasure.

Banned
    I've had a few Oris watches, always been happy with the quality, in fact the Pro Diver is a match for any diver watch.

Journeyman
    The brand 'Oris' have been popping up in discussions recently, so I'm curious to know peoples opinions on them as a current manufacturer / brand.

They seem to occupy the same space in the market as Longines, with some similar styling and price as well. Plus I quite like their history in that they were acquired by Swatch but then bought themselves out, becoming an independent watchmaker again as a result.

But are they actually any good?

Anyone own an Oris? How do you find it, and what comparisons would you make with them?
    This is a very interesting thread. I have been wondering the same thing for a while now. I've had my eye on a few oris watches as they seem resonably priced around the £1k mark but never known a lot about them and never seen on in the flesh. I'll defiantly be trying to see one now.

Quote Originally Posted by mostly_lurking View Post
    An Oris quartz! Interesting - I never knew they made any.
    Seems there was a period in the 1980s where they did - I've see a few models in other places but nobody knows much about them - that one I got off ebay and I cannot find out anything about model number, release date etc.

Master
    I've owned an Oris and it is still one of the few watches I regret flipping. They make solid dependable divers, which are a comfortable on the bracelet. The styling is attractive and personally, I would have one in preference to a Longines.

Craftsman
    Love my Oris XL. Dont wear it enough.

Master
    I absolutely love the ProPilot Altimeter.... specifically the one with 'feet' scale rather than 'meters'. It's the type of watch Bremont should be making IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KFsMvgak4g

Unfortunately, my sub 7" wrist is never going to be able to pull it off so I'll just continue to admire the look of it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    I absolutely love the ProPilot Altimeter.... specifically the one with 'feet' scale rather than 'meters'. It's the type of watch Bremont should be making IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KFsMvgak4g

Unfortunately, my sub 7" wrist is never going to be able to pull it off so I'll just continue to admire the look of it.
    that is one of the few watches in the world that i have been tempted to pay full price for even though i almost always buy second hand. i know it is a ridiculous feature of a watch but i absolutely love it!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Seems there was a period in the 1980s where they did - I've see a few models in other places but nobody knows much about them - that one I got off ebay and I cannot find out anything about model number, release date etc.
    There's plenty of information on this forum about the whys and wherefores of Oris and its ill-fated dalliance with quartz. Basically it boils down to when a precursor business to SwatchCo owned them for a time in the 1970s and repositioned them quite a long way downmarket before an MBO changed all that in the early 80s.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I bought one of these back in 1998, I like it a lot. It feels nice on the wrist and I don't see too many about, I presume because many people are swayed by their peers when choosing things like watches, rather than having the courage of their own convictions.
    http://www.righttime.com/rt/oris/654_7543_43_61_mb.htm
    I also note that Oris recently developed their own in-house desined watch movement, one presumes that it indicates a sense of the market direction they wish to move in. I think, a very smart looking watch.
    http://www.escapementmagazine.com/ar...scapement.html
    Last edited by toezapper; 21st January 2015 at 14:54. Reason: typo

I've had a Titan C which was completely brilliant. Excellent quality, great timekeeping and beautifully finished. It was a bit of a monster and anyone with a wrist much smaller than 6.75" will struggle to adjust the bracelet small enough, but otherwise faultless. I'm currently waiting for a newly acquired Carlos Coste Nemo to get back from the Oris SC. An absolute looker and I really can't wait to have it back. Used they are remarkable value and head and shoulders above Longines IMO (had a Hydroconquest and found it a cheap, rattly old thing).

Quote Originally Posted by toezapper View Post
    I bought one of these back in 1998, I like it a lot. It feels nice on the wrist and I don't see too many about, I presume because many people are swayed by their peers when choosing things like watches, rather than having the courage of their own convictions.
    http://www.righttime.com/rt/oris/654_7543_43_61_mb.htm
    I also note that Oris recently developed their own in-house desined watch movement, one presumes that it indicates a sense of the market direction they wish to move in. I think, a very smart looking watch.
    http://www.escapementmagazine.com/ar...scapement.html
    Although they appear to be know for their tool watches, it was the dressier ones that had piqued my interest (they have a nice moonphase for instance) but that 10 day power reserve is a great piece of engineering, and I agree with the writeup that it is possibly the best power reserve indicator out there at the moment (although I do have a soft spot for the Nomos Gangreserve).

That 110 is a fine looking watch and fits the last remaining empty slot in my collection (a dress watch) perfectly. Maybe people feel that the RRP is a little rich for an Oris, but it's a pretty cool bit of engineering that would cost a pretty penny anywhere else. I would love to get my hands on one, so maybe I should start saving for one when they start to trickle on to the used market...

I've had an Oris big crown pointer date for about 15 yrs now. Still working, keeps goodish time and looks lovely. They always seemed to be discounted quite heavily and freely available so not so much cache and didn't hold their value too well. They look like they make some nice watches still at a good price but no 'heritage' so to speak

Ownes a couple of Oris watches and still I'm craving for a Telemeter.

The Telemeter.

Here some pics of Oris watches I owned.
    They are excellent quality and still a private brand.

My biggest regret.

Big crown pointer date. Cool watch. Classic look.

One of the coolest, biggest divers I owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdiver View Post
    I like the look of them, but the non-standard lugs puts me off ever buying one.
    I nearly bought one but for this !

Mark

Craftsman
    I have never owned one, but love the variety of the range. Not sure if it is just my perception, but to me it seems Oris have resisted to a degree the extreme price rises seen by many other brands of similar quality/heritage.

That big crown pointer date is pretty nice, and surprisingly affordable too, if eBay is anything to go by.

Grand Master
    Not a brand I really understand. I`ve got a 70s Oris in my drawer that really needs sorting out and selling, but it's chrome-plated with no water-resistance............not exactly what you'd call quality. With heritage like that I find it hard to take them seriously.

I worked on one recently and it seemed OK......but I still equate the brand with the piece of tat I`ve got in my drawer!

Paul

Blog Entries
    That big crown pointer date is pretty nice, and surprisingly affordable too, if eBay is anything to go by.
    I've noticed that some of the bargain eBay big crown/date pointers are rather old and rather small (mid size or smaller). Not saying all of them are like that but it's worth paying special attention.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    that is one of the few watches in the world that i have been tempted to pay full price for even though i almost always buy second hand. i know it is a ridiculous feature of a watch but i absolutely love it!

Are these in stock in the UK yet ? Might be my next target

maseman

Master
    Showing as in-stock at Beaverbrooks Breahead. But being advertised cheaper elsewhere.

Oris ... my first every automatic (XXL Regulator, which I still have today). As mentioned, solid watches at a good price point (although not as good as a few years ago). The range has become a big too large and orientated around divers and limited editions for my taste though.

Journeyman
    I used to have donnections with the watch industry. So ive seen a lot of watches over the years. Oris always struck me as solid good quality watches as a decent price. Always thought they were better than tags for example. But without the image. Tag adverts were all over the place at one stage.
    Last edited by pearlwhite67; 22nd January 2015 at 00:43.

My first "proper" watch was an Oris flight timer2, doubt I'll ever sell it.
    The design is a bit whacky, steam-punk almost.
    I fall in and out of love with it, sometimes look at it and wonder what
    I was thinking?? Other days, nothing else will do.
    It has real character.

The fit and finish of the case is outstanding, some lovely design cues
    e.g. satin topped lugs with polished sides.
    Will post a picture when I can.
    Not that common either despite their F1 association.

The Longines comparison made earlier in the thread is spot on, another
    brand seriously under rated.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Not a brand I really understand. I`ve got a 70s Oris in my drawer that really needs sorting out and selling, but it's chrome-plated with no water-resistance............not exactly what you'd call quality. With heritage like that I find it hard to take them seriously.

I worked on one recently and it seemed OK......but I still equate the brand with the piece of tat I`ve got in my drawer!

Paul
    They were in the past a very cheap watch that only used pin pallet movements Paul.

They have rather reinvented themselves of late but TBH I've never liked their designs, all a bit weird aside from the Big Crown date pointer that has a nice classic look.

The modern ones are all ETA.
    Cheers,
    Neil.