closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: American Sniper - no plot spoilers

Master

American Sniper - no plot spoilers

i went to see this today.

I happened to be in the US in Feb 2013 when there was a buzz about this story (I won't plot spoil) and that lead me to buy and read the book on which this film is based. The book was fantastic, so I was eagerly awaiting the film, but I am unsure what to make of it.

I definitely enjoyed it, and at 2h 14m I didn't look at my watch once - the time flew by, but I just don't feel the awe for this film that everyone seems to be talking about.

I felt there was a lack of detail to the story line, and too much emphasis on drama (e.g. the story with the brother wasn't fully fleshed out; the detail in the book around the SEAL training and indoctrination was rapidly done and the progression to becoming a sniper as a specialty seemed rushed.)

Anyway, I would definitely say it's a film to see, but I honestly couldn't justify posting this in either of the "good" or "rubbish" movie threads that we have here.

Any other views?

Remember NO PLOT SPOILERS without good warning please!!

I thought is was ok, in fact I didn't know it was based on a true story , probably the only one who didn't !!
    Cheers..
    Jase

Grand Master
    Was quite average at best, not what i was expecting from Clint, was sad to see this film being sold on fact but basically 99% fiction.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I thought is was ok, in fact I didn't know it was based on a true story , probably the only one who didn't !!
    neither did I
    the film was ok but not as good as I expected with all the hype

it was too pro America the hero for me to be honest

Master
    A chap at work recommended this one, watched it earlier in the week and thoroughly enjoyed it.

It could have been better yes, but I enjoyed it. I thought that Bradley Cooper played the role well.

Hoping to see it Tomoz

Thanks for no spoilers - heard it's good

I enjoyed it and thought that the moments he had with his brother on the airfield looked pretty ridiculous.

I'm reading the book, yet to see the film. Book is great but just remember that Chris Kyle was a fantasist who made up the most ridiculous stories.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30923038

http://mpmacting.com/blog/2014/7/19/...-of-chris-kyle

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
    it was too pro America the hero for me to be honest
    Agree. And not sure I see someone who shoots people in the back from a distance as a hero.

Master
    Agree with Yoda. I read the book and if you take some of the things he says about what he did in the book to be his own words and thoughts it simply makes the film seem like pure fantasy. He had very little remorse and killing "insurgents" that wouldn't even exist had you not occupied their country is hard to think of as "heroic".

I don't know if anyone remembers but in the final cinema scene in Inglorious Basterds the film being shown in the cinema is an actual Nazi propaganda film about a Nazi sniper who is the "hero". Several people have said to me this is basically the same film.

"America making films about how war in countries they invade fucks up their soldiers is a bit like a serial killer complaining about stoping to pick up victims ruining their clutch"
    Last edited by mowflow; 25th January 2015 at 00:04.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Agree. And not sure I see someone who shoots people in the back from a distance as a hero.

+1

B

Watched it, enjoyed it. Not the masterpiece everyone keeps touting it as though. It's just 'ok'

Banned
    Blog Entries
    He is a hero, when he saves men from rocket launcher grenade attacks, by taking out a target at 600m with only the chance of one shot.

as for the movie, I enjoyed it, but not as a fact based film, we all know he was good for a yarn, and the 1km kill was never confirmed, it existed only in his head and memory.

MINOR SPOILER

I agree with the Op about the film, enjoyed it for what it was, but thought it could have been better. Agreed that Bradley Cooper plays a great part, though. Just started reading the book on Kindle, and it struck me that Chris Kyle had a lot of lucky escapes, and started to feel invincible. This I bolstered by the fact none of his team mates had been killed on the first 3 tours. When that does happen , as it inevitably will in war, it seems to be the change in him. As for being a hero, probably very over used. Certainly brave, but he was doing his job that his country had trained him in. Any braver than the 18 year old Marines kicking doors in on the ground in Fallujah , whilst he was in over watch?

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    He is a hero, when he saves men from rocket launcher grenade attacks, by taking out a target at 600m with only the chance of one shot.
    A hero is someone who risks his own life to save someone else's.

Is this the case here?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

Is this the case here?
    He was awarded multiple medals for bravery and saw a lot of action in the streets and clearing houses, it wasn't all sniping.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    He was awarded multiple medals for bravery and saw a lot of action in the streets and clearing houses, it wasn't all sniping.
    Ok, but I was responding to Soundood who called him a hero for sniping.

Hello

Not seen the film yet but imagine it will be pro American hoorah and all that. But that's the style.

I would say that anyone going anywhere to try and change things for the better, where there is a realistic chance of being injured or killed deserves our thanks and respect. Notwithstanding that it is their job and they join up knowing the risks.

As for being a hero very subjective. Someone mentioned it's not very heroic shooting someone in the back. Well what do you suggest, pistols at dawn!

It's not very heroic using civilians as human shields, or children to plant or deliver ied's. Neither is it heroic to target children in a school.

The bottom line is that snipers are able to reach out where necessary and do that very effectively. With less risk of collateral damage to property and other people.

I am not an expert by any means but to try and make out that snipers are in any sense less heroic or moral than other soldiers is not right or fair. As to remorse then that should be up to each individuals own conscience.

Provided they have abided by the rules laid down and it is to safeguard their own safety or the safety of others then it's justifiable. It would be nice if no one had to go anywhere to do anything like this but unfortunately that's never going to be the case. And the West is not responsible for the Worlds problems.

Just my opinion.

Journeyman
    Really enjoyed the film. Haven't read the book but done some reading about him online. Some say there might be a bit of Walter Mitty about him.
    I admire anyone that is brave enough to serve In any of the forces but if some of the stuff that's written in his book about killing two jackers and killing 30 looters in New Orleans are true it seems he might've been a bit of a headcase.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Is this the case here?
    your definition of a hero is flawed, it is not solely someone that 'risks his own life to save someone else's'

Hero - Protector

Coined in 1387, the word hero comes from the Greek ἥρως (hērōs), "hero, warrior",[3] literally "protector" or "defender".[4] Before the decipherment of Linear B the original form of the word was assumed to be *ἥρωϝ-, hērōw-; R. S. P. Beekes has proposed a Pre-Greek origin.[5]

According to the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, the Indo-European root is *ser meaning "to protect". According to Eric Partridge in Origins, the Greek word Hērōs "is akin to" the Latin seruāre, meaning to safeguard. Partridge concludes, "The basic sense of both Hera and hero would therefore be 'protector'."
    he was a 'Hero' to many people in many instances.
    Last edited by soundood; 25th January 2015 at 15:30.

I was expecting a bit more from American Sniper.
    A good film, but not a great one.

Ditto with The Immitation Game. If you get a chance, see Breaking The Code, a BBC Drama on Enigma starring Derek Jacobi and Helena Bonham Carter.

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    your definition of a hero is flawed, it is not solely someone that 'risks his own life to save someone else's'

Hero - Protector

he was a 'Hero' to many people in many instances.
    My definition of hero is not flawed it is just different to yours. Yours says more about the derivation of the word than it's normal meaning.

He is obviously your hero.

He did his job. He did it well.

Keep the politics out of it. He protected his brothers.

RIP

Oh, and the movie was ok. The obviously dummy baby they used in scenes was distracting. I preferred the book.

Quote Originally Posted by demer03 View Post
    He did his job. He did it well.

Keep the politics out of it. He protected his brothers.

RIP

Oh, and the movie was ok. The obviously dummy baby they used in scenes was distracting. I preferred the book.
    Agree. No matter what the rights and wrongs of the Iraq invasion were, he was tasked to do a job, did it very well and kept his comrades safe.

Just seen the film. I thoroughly enjoyed it even though it's only based loosely on the book. Thought it took a while (30 minutes or so) to get going but got better and better as it went on.

Journeyman
    Thought was movie was excellent. Anyone questioning Chris Kyle's bravery and heroism for "shooting others in the back" really need to think long and hard about that statement. Chris Kyle busted down many doors and helped get rid of disgusting terrorists that had no issue whatsoever with pushing women and children to their deaths to protect their cowardly asses. He was a precise marksman that had a specific job to do and did it well.

I really do not understand the criticism towards him. At all.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My definition of hero is not flawed it is just different to yours. Yours says more about the derivation of the word than it's normal meaning.

He is obviously your hero.
    how is he my hero? where did you get that from Einstein? this is exactly why I had you on ignore, which I cleared in the new year, consider yourself back on it.

talking about snipers, how is that 1 star sniping getting on with Tony's threads? as a 1 star sniper, does that make you an anti-hero?

goodbye.
    Last edited by soundood; 26th January 2015 at 08:51.

Master
    +2

This can only appeal to the more brain dead US cheer leader types. Frankly all I've read the guy seems to be autistic, incapable of any kind of empathy or human feeling. 'The enemy' must remain human, for us to remain human ourselves.

Whether it's a good movie or not I don't really care. I have no intention of going to see it.

The guy was such a notorious liar, hard to know what is true or not true about him.