Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TOP GEAR back this Sunday

TOP GEAR back this Sunday

Just a FYI, 8pm BBC2 as usual.

Good news indeed.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Thanks GQ.

Now that I no longer buy any car magazines (aside from the odd Octane here and there), it's only through Top Gear that I hear any reviews of new cars.

And the odd thread on here.

Master
    Thanks for the heads up, I'm looking forward to the Stig taking the new caterham 620r around the track, should be impressive...

This Sunday's is a good one - there's a slightly derivative race through St. Petersburg, and a review of the new Lambo which is spanked around the track, and the Star in a reasonably priced car has a unique claim to make… Can't say too much more…

Inside information, you ask? Well, maybe…

I'm furthermore reliably informed that some members of the audience this week are especially attractive, in a rotund and jolly sort of way…

Some say that he has more than one watch, but that he only ever wears one at a time… All we know is that he's called The Dick!

(make of that what you will)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Oooh goodie!!!!!

thanks David ....................and crusader!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dickbrowne View Post
    This Sunday's is a good one - there's a slightly derivative race through St. Petersburg, and a review of the new Lambo which is spanked around the track, and the Star in a reasonably priced car has a unique claim to make… Can't say too much more…

I'm furthermore reliably informed that some members of the audience this week are especially attractive, in a rotund and jolly sort of way…

Some say that he has more than one watch, but that he only ever wears one at a time… All we know is that he's called The Dick!

Inside information,,,,do tell?
    Last edited by number2; 22nd January 2015 at 06:30.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Inside information,,,,do tell?
    We were at the recording of episode 1, and although it runs to a formula these days, it looks like Top Gear doing what it does best - entertaining and amusing, and some cars thrown in for good measure.

Thank you. Downside of Sky+, don't get to see adverts

ooops

Sorry Lads
    May just be me , but i have to say it .... i dont like Top Gear

Really cant see what the fuss is about now , bring back William Wollard talking about the Austin Allegro
    Anyway i"ll get me coat

Cheers

Wayne

interesting kettle terence

Journeyman
    Thanks for the heads up.

It still makes me laugh, and even the misses enjoys it!

Master
    I do enjoy the program, and will be watching, but I really hope they've grown out of the "Oh no, I've accidentally set fire to that man's tent" or "my car has just rolled off that cliff over there" monobrow rubbish. As a trio they are entertaining enough without the IQ3 set up slapstick stuff.

It's always entertaining, but from a car perspective I prefer the American shows now.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    I do enjoy the program, and will be watching, but I really hope they've grown out of the "Oh no, I've accidentally set fire to that man's tent" or "my car has just rolled off that cliff over there" monobrow rubbish. As a trio they are entertaining enough without the IQ3 set up slapstick stuff.
    I have the same problem with the show. They seemed to dial it back a bit in the Christmas special, if you saw it, so hopefully that carries over to the new series.

Thanks for the heads-up. The naysayers can always watch Downton Abbey or "Celebritydancingonicewhileeatinginsects" or whatever their wives tell them to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up. The naysayers can always watch Downton Abbey or "Celebritydancingonicewhileeatinginsects" or whatever their wives tell them to watch.
    Call the midwife, if you must know !

Cheers

Wayne

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurDALEY View Post
    Sorry Lads
    May just be me , but i have to say it .... i dont like Top Gear

Really cant see what the fuss is about now , bring back William Wollard talking about the Austin Allegro
    Anyway i"ll get me coat

Cheers

Wayne

Let me hold that coat for you m'Lord (in a Downton Abbey Butler-eque voice)

Quote Originally Posted by Bazzman View Post
    Let me hold that coat for you m'Lord (in a Downton Abbey Butler-eque voice)
    Thank you Carson
    ill take Tea in the drawing room

Cheers

Wayne

Personally I just want them to do a shoot out between the P1, the LeFezza and the 918.

Surely that is worth a programme on it own.

Oh, and the new 911 4.0 RS, the new Mercedes M4, the new Jag and even the new Peugeot GTi

Soo much to see.

Very excited.
    Last edited by Andyg; 22nd January 2015 at 16:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Personally I just want them to do a shot out between the P1, the LeFezza and the 918.

Yes!! A TG Special where they drive them from London to Istanbul

Quote Originally Posted by dickbrowne View Post

I think Chris Evans let the cat out of the bag this morning about the Star in the reasonably priced car and his unique claim. Will not spoil it for those waiting for the programme.

Master
    You've got to expect the usual compo, clegg and clarkson scripted comedy nonsense but at the end of the day it's a welcome break from all the usual nonsense on TV for us petrol heads.

There is also always at least 1 section in every season that verges on art. Usually involving some beautifully designed car cutting through some dramatic landscape with the orchestral sound of a screaming V8, V10, V12 etc.

Master
    Been looking forward to this for a while now. What else is there on a Sunday evening?

It's almost as if Mr Porter reads TZ-UK

http://sniffpetrol.com/2015/01/23/fo.../#.VMIaycbfPu1

Master
    Well basically it's three superannuated sixth-formers dicking about in expensive motors, but I have to say I do find it amusing and much better than most of the crud on mainstream telly.

Rob

Richard Porter is a funny guy and the personal interactions I've had with him have always been great, top bloke.

I'm pretty bored of TG though, I think they are flogging a dead horse these days and every year I despise Richard Hammond a little more.

For car reviews, I'll stick with DRIVE and Chris Harris on Cars on YouTube.
    I enjoy Jay Leno's Garage too, but it obviously has a much greater US focus, which is OK, as I can always learn more about muscle cars and Duesenbergs!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Been looking forward to this for a while now. What else is there on a Sunday evening?
    Good book.
    Family game.
    Evening in/out with charming company.
    Over here there is always a salsa dancing evening somewhere in the region.
    To name but four things on a Sunday evening.
    ..and if you want to be entertained by the box, there is the HDMI cable to play whatever takes your fancy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    It's almost as if Mr Porter reads TZ-UK

http://sniffpetrol.com/2015/01/23/fo.../#.VMIaycbfPu1
    I thought that too.

Journeyman
    good fun to watch but at times it is a bit cringeworthy when it is so obviously staged and they are making out that it is all happening for real

Master
    Unless I am way out here, there doesn't seem to be a great deal of love here for the Caterham 7, the giant slayer. Does no one else enjoy seeing something as basic as a 7 spanking these 7 figure supercars.
    I'll say it again, I can't wait to see Stig take the 620r around the track. A warm, dry day, nicely warmed up sticky tyres and David will once again slay the Goliaths

Why the Chilean flag badges?

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    Why the Chilean flag badges?

Thanks for answering my question.

Perhaps because Chile give them sanctuary recently A less than private joke.

nice to see cyclist rage can even affect the Hamster, but 9K for a push bike - mental no matter how much carbon fibre they used.

For me the best bit was The Stig at the end - proper LOL! GT3 RS - best car on the programme.
    Last edited by Andyg; 25th January 2015 at 22:19.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    Unless I am way out here, there doesn't seem to be a great deal of love here for the Caterham 7, the giant slayer. Does no one else enjoy seeing something as basic as a 7 spanking these 7 figure supercars.
    I'll say it again, I can't wait to see Stig take the 620r around the track. A warm, dry day, nicely warmed up sticky tyres and David will once again slay the Goliaths
    People scared of motorbikes drive Caterhams don't they? Chicks dont dig Caterhams. :)

Journeyman
    Thought tonight's episode was very boring. Best bit for me was the preview of what's coming up in the series, the only part of the episode where I laughed. Even the segment on the hurican was a little dull and the race was just the same old recycled stuff that has been done before. Hopefully the next few episodes will pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by waiteu2 View Post
    People scared of motorbikes drive Caterhams don't they? Chicks dont dig Caterhams. :)
    I'm actually a fan of caterhams but you are very right on both counts here IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I'm actually a fan of caterhams but you are very right on both counts here IMO.
    Meh, I've got 4 motorcycles and a Caterham.

People scared of motorbikes drive Caterhams don't they?
    Aren't Caterhams quicker than bikes around average British B roads (slippery surfaces, weird cambers etc)?

I know that's a massive generalisation but I thought bikes were only quicker in a straight line.

And I when I say 'quicker', I mean within the confines of the law of course.

Journeyman
    Highlight of tonight's program was Hammond falling off his bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Meh, I've got 4 motorcycles and a Caterham.
    Fair enough, and like I say I am a fan. BUT, having spent 4 years in toy cars (mainly lotus elises) on road and at tracks and airfields, all I can say is as soon as I passed my bike test the cars were sold. Nothing could get me in the lotus when the bike was parked beside it in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Aren't Caterhams quicker than bikes around average British B roads (slippery surfaces, weird cambers etc)?

I know that's a massive generalisation but I thought bikes were only quicker in a straight line.

And I when I say 'quicker', I mean within the confines of the law of course.
    That probably is true, but in the south east of England you don't even get a clear run at 6am to enjoy those B roads. I used to go out and play and it got earlier and earlier. Bikes on the other hand you can have fun at anytime!

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    My Caterham is only quicker than my bikes on the really twisty bits. The road only has to open up a bit and the bikes leave it for dead.

Master
    No sorry wrong on both counts. The important one first
    Most chicks I know really dig the 7 especially once they have been out in it, they properly get it and this applies to all age groups. Friends and family, neighbours, work colleagues etc. Admittedly it's mainly a fair weather car but the rawness of the 7 is it's great appeal, as is the confined cockpit.
    The bike argument will rage on. I've owned one or two bikes years ago and whilst they were fun, there is no comparison in my eyes. I suppose it depends what you want, for me a high powered 7 wins every time and would spank most bikes around the curves of the top gear track

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    That probably is true, but in the south east of England you don't even get a clear run at 6am to enjoy those B roads. I used to go out and play and it got earlier and earlier. Bikes on the other hand you can have fun at anytime!
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    My Caterham is only quicker than my bikes on the really twisty bits. The road only has to open up a bit and the bikes leave it for dead.
    Thanks both, sounds like I've been missing out a little.

Grand Master
    Missed it, any good? Should I catch up?
    RIAC

The bike argument will rage on. I've owned one or two bikes years ago and whilst they were fun, there is no comparison in my eyes. I suppose it depends what you want, for me a high powered 7 wins every time and would spank most bikes around the curves of the top gear track
    At an average level of talent, I do wonder whether I would have enough in reserve to really spank say a Superlight R.

Having said that, intentional mild power oversteer is an attractive state to be in. It's lift - off and roll oversteer I can't stand. So perhaps plenty of power is easier in a way.

Master
    No sorry wrong on both counts. The important one first
    Most chicks I know really dig the 7 especially once they have been out in it, they properly get it and this applies to all age groups. Friends and family, neighbours, work colleagues etc. Admittedly it's mainly a fair weather car but the rawness of the 7 is it's great appeal, as is the confined cockpit.
    You don't see aftershave adverts with some bird being buffeted about in some grown ups go-kart.
    All females love the idea of grabbing on to a Barry Sheene type hurling them around on the track or in bed. You wear tweed don't you?

Master
    You don't see aftershave adverts with some bird being buffeted about in some grown ups go-kart.
    All females love the idea of grabbing on to a Barry Sheene type hurling them around on the track or in bed. You wear tweed don't you?
    Very good, and it's not aftershave it's Cologne. I think your idea of what you think females want and what they actually want are very different. You must still wear Brut just like our Barry. Oh (in the words of Columbo) and just one more thing before I go, tweed is for Morgan drivers not seveners

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Missed it, any good? Should I catch up?
    No. What others said: known formula without any highlights. The time that you couldn't miss an episode for the risk that you had no part of the conversation near the coffee machine on Monday morning is over. Just read this thread: about 50% of the postings aren't about TG but a Caterham.

(And who's that guy that drove the RPC? Boosting: 'Yeah, I got one of my staff members a Porsche, but I have no license'... Modesty isn't his middle name, I'm sure).

Menno

To me it was many things, predictable, disappointing. We'd been out for a decent walk in the afternoon - saw two peregrines but I digress. Anyway after a meal and sit down to watch TG I fell asleep after about 20 minutes. Yawn. I didn't miss it all, clearly, but that said a lot about the program.

Master
    Distinctly meh.

And that new Lambo is properly uninspiring in the looks department. Even when you know that it's fuelled on tiger spleen and lava you just look at the back end and see that moulded-in kit-car spoiler and feel your semi draining away.