closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Steinhart OVR bezel insert.

Journeyman

Steinhart OVR bezel insert.

Scratched the insert after one too many beers in December so ordered an insert from Steinhart direct.
    Went into five different Jewellers/watch repair shops in Perth and none of them will touch it.
    Will I have to send this back to Germany to have the insert replaced?
    Thanks J

Blog Entries
    Any competent watch repairer should be able to do that. Why in heavens wouldn't they touch it?

I can recommend someone in London but that's not much help if you're in Perth. There are plenty of watchmakers and repairers who are popular on the forum and who could do it.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Any competent watch repairer should be able to do that. Why in heavens wouldn't they touch it?

I can recommend someone in London but that's not much help if you're in Perth. There are plenty of watchmakers and repairers who are popular on the forum and who could do it.
    Three of them said as they weren't authorised dealers they wouldn't touch it. The other pair said they didn't have the tools to do it.
    Can anyone recommend a watch repair company in the Perthshire, Central or Glasgow area that'll be able to change the insert?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JS1873 View Post
    Three of them said as they weren't authorised dealers they wouldn't touch it. The other pair said they didn't have the tools to do it.
    Blimey. :-(

Unfortunately I can't recommend anyone local to you but I'm sure there must be someone. You could alternatively send it off by RMSD to someone well known on the forum.

Have a peep at this for a little knowledge armed with a stiff drink and a scalpel !

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Have a peep at this for a little knowledge armed with a stiff drink and a scalpel !

I'm a mechanic mate... More used to sorting things with a hammer.😄
    Don't think I'd even attempt that to be fair. Would probably lose a finger in the process.

The guy in the video is nuts! Never do that. If you want to ruin your watch that is the way go about it.

Get yourself a Stanley blade in a holder, insert the sharp point of the bade carefully between the insert and the crystal.
    Now the idea is to gently wiggle a bit forcing the insert upwards, if necessary move the tip of the blade a bit to the right or left and keep trying.
    At a certain point the insert will come loose. Its only glued. Be extra careful if its mineral instead of sapphire. On the scale of hardness diamond is 10 and sapphire is 9.
    This is the best way to remove the insert.
    Make sure to set the bezel itself correct between 2 clicks before installing the new insert to make sure its lined up correctly.
    Don't push too hard right away, make sure the insert is lined up properly before applying pressure to fasten it. Once you are 100% sure its lined op properly, apply pressure to fasten it making sure to not move it anymore.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by WatchesRmypassion; 26th January 2015 at 20:04.

Surely they are just held on by a self adhesive strip ? I replaced one on my Grovana Coral Reef when it needed it, just carefully prise it off, maybe warming it up a bit would soften the adhesive??

(OOOPS, just read the previous post)

Journeyman
    Thanks for the advice. Waiting on a new arrival so I'll give it a bash once it comes incase I make a mess of it.

Quote Originally Posted by JS1873 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Waiting on a new arrival so I'll give it a bash once it comes incase I make a mess of it.
    As notnowkato above suggested, it might also help using a blow-dryer to heat it a bit so the glue softens.