closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Deployant direction

Craftsman

Deployant direction

Hi chaps,

Probably a stupid question, but I'll risk it and ask anyway.

I bought an IWC Portuguese last year and it's been so uncomfortable to wear I've only been wearing it out of shear bloody mindedness.

Yesterday, out of curiosity I put the watch on upside down and it was so much more comfortable I was staggered.
    So last night I changed the strap around and today have properly enjoyed wearing the watch for the first time since I bought it.

The watch was new from an AD so I assumed the strap was on the right way around.

Is it correct to have the tail end of the strap and the keepers on the inside of your arm, or have I put it correct now that I have the tail end and the keepers are on the outside ?

It feels Kak-handed now but I guess that's because I've got used to working the Deployant the other way around.

Craftsman
    Every watch I've ever worn has always had the clasp/buckle and keepers on the outside of the arm.

Master
    Haha you numpty Barreti......

Keepers on the 12 o'clock side.....:-)

The IWC 'way' is different to most manufacturers. While most will have the pointed end at 6 o'clock, and the keepers side at 12, IWC like the pointed end at 12 and the keeper side at 6.

JLC single fold deployants are best worn in this unconventional way also, but have changed to normal for the double fold deployant.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I found this with my 3717. I got them to throw in a deployant with the deal. First time I tried it it was unwearable. I found a novel way to solve the problem though, it got stolen :)

I believe that the Tudor BB deployant is also the same as the IWC, ie the keeper(s) on the inside of the arm.

I fit straps so that they are comfortable. This means that some of my watches have the buckle side at 6 o'clock and some at 12. The same goes for deployant straps...some one way, the rest the other way round!

Only with metal bracelets can I swap the links around to lengthen and shorten it on either side of the clasp. But I couldn't tell you which way round I prefer the clasp! I do know that I need a half-link with most Omega bracelets.

Master
    I wouldn't assume the IWC AD had it right .... not on the basis of some of the interactions I've had with shop staff.

Journeyman
    It will all depend on how the clasp sits on your wrist. It's common practice to have the buckle and keepers at 12 o'clock but if it's more comfortable for you the other way around then wear it like that. I've just fitted one of Eddie's new nylon deployant straps to a PRS-82 and find the clasp sits better the unconventional way on my (skinny) wrist.

Every watch is different dependent on the shape of the deployant, the lengths of the straps and the shape of your wrist. Wear it which ever way suits you.

IF there's a logo on the clasp it tells you which way the manufacturer wants you to wear it, but don't worry about it.

Can I just add I think deployants are alwys uncomfortable. Much prefer pin buckles.

Glashutte Original is the same way.

Blog Entries
    As others have said, wear whichever is comfortable. My wife had a metal deployant clasp on bracelet which was uncomfortable. After switching round it has been fine.

Quote Originally Posted by logan2z View Post
    Glashutte Original is the same way.

Yours is, yes. As stated, wear whichever way is most comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Yours is, yes. As stated, wear whichever way is most comfortable.

Agreed, just stating that the watches come from GO with the straps in the "reverse" order. Wear whichever way you prefer.

Master
    Whilst on holiday in Oz recently I tried several IWC's on in several different shops in several cities and they all had the end of the strap pointing inwards.
    I assumed it was just because I was upside down

There are straps with shorter keeper sides and longer hole sides for the IWC straps, they make them by default for the big pilot but never understood why not for the portuguese ir pilot series.

It is particularly more comfortable with a short end strap if your wrist is less than say 7". Rather expensive from IWC but the watch boys make a very inexpensive one in leather and you can order one in alligator for less than £100 last I checked

Craftsman
    Strewth, perhaps not so stupid as I thought then.

I'm amazed how different the watch feels with the strap on 'upside down' and will keep it that way now I know its not wrong.

Though today I'm wearing my RLT29 / TAG Edge, on rubber with a pin buckle. Lovely and comfortable.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by clemenry View Post
    I believe that the Tudor BB deployant is also the same as the IWC, ie the keeper(s) on the inside of the arm.
    Not on mine. Keepers on the outside.