closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What motorbike for 1000 mile trip around France?

What motorbike for 1000 mile trip around France?

Really into my sports bikes, but will end up with severe wrist and back ache if I do around 1000 miles in a week on a Fireblade or RC8.

Any bikers out there? Want something with a bit of street cred still (if possible) :-)

Needs to be fairly upright and as comfortable as possible, reliable and reasonably desirable so I can sell as soon as I'm finished with it.

Thanks in advance

(reposted, as stupidly put this in SC to start with)

Banned
    Brough Superior SS100.

... Had to Google that one! You going to stump up some of the cash?? ;-)

Banned
    You wanted cred and desirability!

Master
    Honda VFR

Blackbird is the one word answer :-), with the standard hard luggage. Comfy, quick, handles ok and bullet proof.

Bmw GS1200. Expensive but hold there value.

Honda.
    Transalp.
    XL 650
    Brilliant!

Guzzi California.
    Take your time, and have a safe trip : )

Journeyman
    BMW 1200 RT or GS. Done 1900 miles in 48 hours and lived to tell the tale. You don't have to spend a fortune, an 1100RT is ideal if you can find a nice one.

- - - Updated - - -

Or, a Honda Pan European!

There's a nice CX500 going on this very site.
    Add some saddlebags and a tank bag and voila!!

As well as cred and comfort, how about a bit style too...

Gray

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    As well as cred and comfort, how about a bit style too...

Yeah but brakes would be nice too.

As long as you don't need to use your spine again, accelerate, stop... or go round corners; that's perfect :-)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    There's a nice CX500 going on this very site.
    Add some saddlebags and a tank bag and voila!!
    The parents of my girlfriend at the time ( 30 years ago) bought a cx500 to ride to Spain to visit their other daughter. It did the trip faultlessly if a little slowly.

Craftsman
    Bandit 1250 GT.... Cheap as chips, pulls like a train and you'll likely get most of your money back. The GT has all the kit too

What sort of budget do you have as that will have an influence on choice?

Journeyman
    Triumph Tiger 1050. You can either get hard luggage or a tank bag/tailpack if you prefer everything in a line (I do). Massively tractable engine (say goodbye to gear changes!), reasonable tank range, fantastic riding position for all-day comfort. Been out long enough that there'll be one to suit every pocket.

There we are; thread over!

John

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    Yeah but brakes would be nice too.
    He didn't mention stopping :-)
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    As long as you don't need to use your spine again, accelerate, stop... or go round corners; that's perfect :-)
    Point and go :-)
    Gray

I'd use a BMW R1200Gs - but then we have 5 of them. Any of the R1200 range with a fairing are useful. They are good for MPG and comfortable, and with panniers will hold your basics and more - as there are a few around, you can be hard on the price you are willing to pay - but bought right, you could have your holiday and sell on immediately - maybe even at a profit! I hammered mine at times touring 13 countries in September/October last year for 5000+ miles and average over 50mpg overall fully loaded and two up for the most part.

I don't like the triumphs personally for fit and feel - engines in the 1200 was all right if a little on off.

VFR is nice but not as relaxing. The Transalp is a fabulous bike, but I wouldn't cover the same ground at the same speed - but I'd love one for more local riding.

Multistrada would also work well, perhaps better if its been remapped, as they can be a real pig under 30mph and tiring around town.

Any of the Kawasaki or Suzuki touring trailies are good for the job too. I just have a preference for my old tractor twin bm's ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    BMW 1150/1200 GS Adventure , pricey but excellent all rounder,

or Honda Africa Twin.

Blog Entries
    Did 2000 trouble free miles through Spain and Portugal last year on my Ducati Multistrada 1200, handled 2 up with hard luggage without any trouble yet handled like a dream and never failed to put a smile on my face everytime I opened it up, GS is sensible option, Ducati is the fun and exciting option, I,ve had both and know what I prefer but that's just my opinion.

Craftsman
    Tiger 800. Solid as a rock & fun

Journeyman
    You'll need a shaftie , decent weather protection and plenty luggage space for all that wine you'd be bringing home. If it was me, first choice a 06-07 Bmw R1200Rt then fjr1300. More to spend?? K1600GT/L

Is this Aprilia still available that was on the SC I wonder?

It has a few scuffs but would do the job admirably. Hard panniers, locks and even KM clocks.... just climb on and go.

Rich.

Smile

Tiger is sounding like a good option. 800/1050 - assuming same bike with different engine, so guessing 1050 will be a bit nicer if used to 1000s.

Thanks

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ive got 1200GS and son has KTM 990 Adventure

Both are great bikes and very capable of doing long journeys with luggage and get you there in reasonable comfort.

Alternatively the 800GS is a great bike too. next door neighbour has one and it does all that is asked of it - and more.

The BM RT is superb cruiser and will much the miles while riding in also comfort.

then you can look at the wanna be GS's in the shape of Triumphs, Honda things and Duke Multistrada.

there are more and prove the point - there is no such thing as a BAD bike in reality nowadays. Its really down to you and your comfort level.

get to a good dealer with loads of bikes and sit on them is best advice.

good luck AND HAVE A GREAT TRIP - lucky bugger :)

Jim

Sounds like a great trip. Sympathise re the sports bike issue. I love my fireblade but I think I would push it into a ditch and set fire to it if I had ridden anywhere near 1000 miles on it in one go. Except I'd be bent double and I wouldn't be able to open the petrol can on account of my non functioning wrists.

Touring BMWs and big traillies, despite being the correct answer, make me want to weep bored middle aged tears.

I'd probably take a Diavel and a pair of pants/toothbrush, or an absolutely massive sports tourer like a blackbird or a ZZR1400 and a lot of cash for speeding fines.
    Last edited by Plake; 4th February 2015 at 07:27.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie_101 View Post
    Is this Aprilia still available that was on the SC I wonder?

It has a few scuffs but would do the job admirably. Hard panniers, locks and even KM clocks.... just climb on and go.

Rich.
    Agee on this, great engine!

Really depends on how you intend to ride, I have done this trip on all sorts of sports bikes but mainly looking for knee down action!
    Have a look at what the people you are going with are riding, that way you can enjoy the journey at a similar pace.

Journeyman
    I suggest the Suzuki V-Strom 1000 because it has the most comfortable seat on a motorbike and provides excellent wind protection.

You don't know how much I appreciate all the suggestions...never looked at these types of bikes before as they are all driven by 'older gentlemen'

Certainly looking like it's going to be a BMW GS/RT or Triumph Tiger - possibly the Suzuki V-Strom as it has some good reviews.

Just spoken to a friend who's going on the trip and he seems to think we'll be doing around 250 miles a day - so nearer 2,000 miles in the week! Will definitely be buying something soon! #watchthisspace

Banned
    Whats your buddy riding? There are differnt ways to do 250 touring miles and theres not much point on adopting wildly different approaches to it.

A big engined Vespa is good for slow touring if you are ambling about the place on the B roads (or whatever the forrins call them, I forget) and want to actually see things, but its not much cop if you are trying to keep up with mile munchers on a motorway.

With or without a pillion?
    Do you want to tour or sport around?
    Do you travel light or loaded?
    How much riding experience do you have?

Just about any bike would do for a 1k trip, but the above questions would help eliminating some choices.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

He has a Triumph Street Triple 675 which is cross between sports and touring/upright if you ask me.

So think that rules out the Vespa :-)

Others will take the kind of bike I'm looking for - they ride big uprights all the time, although not sure what they have.

The 1200gs would be the bike to do it, second best option would be the 800gs, I have it I've done 1500 miles in 3 days without any problem. Quite comfortable, lots of power (up to 90/95 mph, after that it's get a bit noisy). It's a bike that is a good all rounder.

I've standardized on BMWs for long distance work. RT, GS my favourites, GT(L) good also. I would say 12GS is the most versatile. Holds value very well.

For the low budget option I would say a faired Bandit or Varadero might do the trick.

I'm a plodder and I'm doing a 1500 mile German trip in July on my 2004 F650GS 80 mpg and plenty fast enough for me. 150 odd miles a day planned.

Master
    what about HONDA C90 Cub...it's bulletproof, slow enough to enjoy the scenery,quite a good fun, cheap to run...and it's known to be capable of round the world trips.

http://www.c90adventures.co.uk/why-a-honda-c90

Master
    VFR is nice but not as relaxing.
    I've yet to be convinced of that one, we used to do North Yorkshire to south on Limoges 2 up in a day on a VFR Vtec and happily ride around the south of France and Spain, Rome took us 2 days from here. I got rid of that and got a GS Adv and wouldn't dream of doing the same distances in a day as before, the GS is ok for a couple of hundred miles but in my case is a pain in the arse after that. It's advantage is that I can strap enough kit for 3 weeks camping get the other half on the back and go and it rides not much different than with nothing on it.

I keep on looking at a KTM 1190 but I always have someone on the back so stick with the BM.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kildareman View Post
    Tiger 800. Solid as a rock & fun
    Agreed. Fun and east to sell on. Others I would consider are the v strom 1000 or 650 and the new 2015 kawasaki versys 650. I wouldn't consider BMW, there are too many complaints out there; mines gone wrong three times in the six months I've owned it.

The Honda nc750x is also a great bike, sips fuel but 1000miles will hurt your ass on that. 2014 V strom 1000 would be my pick.

Big, comfortable, munches miles 160+ miles to reserve and enough fun when you get where your going for a quick play

GSX1400 naked and fun, holding their value now. Try one you may be surprised.

Craftsman
    Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Great combination of comfort for the long motorway rides and plenty fast when you dump your kit where you are staying to go blasting round the great country roads.

I'm keen to ride ST down to the inlaws place in Vaison La Romaine but the wife isn't keen and when I suggested she fly over herself and I'd meet her there it didn't go down well.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    I've done 2, two up trips from Warrington to the South of France and back. First time was on a ZZR100. Really nice, fast and relaxed, but we only had a sportsrack and strapped a holdall on it, a tankbag and my missus had a rucksack. It got us there very quickly !!. However downsides really were a lack of proper luggage and short (relatively) distances between fillups.

Second time we went on a Pan Euro. What a difference. Mega comfy, fast enough, loads of luggage and a long LONG way between fillups. Cruise all day at 100 and still give 50mpg ish. Did I mention COMFY...

If I was to do it again I'd probably look at a Triumph Sprint 1050, or a VFR. Both very capable long distance tools. The B Ems are too tall for a short arse like me, otherwise deffo worth a looksee. However I'm not so sure about unfaired bikes for that distance, consider the possible wind/rain possibilities.

You used to be able to get the motorail right across France as well. We did it coming back from Frejus to Paris. Board in the evening and get a bed/cabin, and wake up in Paris. That was good.

Stuart

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post

Second time we went on a Pan Euro. What a difference. Mega comfy, fast enough, loads of luggage and a long LONG way between fillups. Cruise all day at 100 and still give 50mpg ish. Did I mention COMFY...

I still have to find something which could replace my 9 year old Pan. it does everything we want & more. I also have a Sprint ST which would be OK solo but I wouldn't get my Mrs on the back for a Euro trip. As said by others, which ever bike suits, they are all pretty reliable these days.

Journeyman
    Gets my vote being a Triumph man...!

Quote Originally Posted by hotbaws View Post
    Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Great combination of comfort for the long motorway rides and plenty fast when you dump your kit where you are staying to go blasting round the great country roads.

I'm keen to ride ST down to the inlaws place in Vaison La Romaine but the wife isn't keen and when I suggested she fly over herself and I'd meet her there it didn't go down well.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andykb675 View Post
    Gets my vote being a Triumph man...!
    I had an ST1050 and my first GS at the same time and they are great bikes - but then all bikes are great 😉

Like I said before, there are truly no "bad" bikes. It's really down to what you find comfy and fun as a tourer sports/tourer.

All the bikes you've heard mentioned here get my vote - even the C90 lol

Jim

I've done over 15k touring all over Europe on my Ducati ST3. Never missed a beat or let me down. Just booked a 10 day tour of Germany & Austria in May.

Wife rides pillion and the hard luggage is great, although I also use a tank bag as my wife likes her creature comforts. Not many of this model around, but ST4's are quite plentiful. A good blend of long distance tourer with sportier handling.

Quote Originally Posted by michalko82 View Post
    what about HONDA C90 Cub...it's bulletproof, slow enough to enjoy the scenery,quite a good fun, cheap to run...and it's known to be capable of round the world trips.

http://www.c90adventures.co.uk/why-a-honda-c90
    As an impoverished nurse in the early 80's I bought a 20 year old example from a retired vicar. I ran it for 3 years (a round trip commute of 40 miles a day) and the only maintenance done was a quick oil and tighten of the chain every 6 months and sometimes a bit of engine oil. It always started first time and never broke down. Amazing things.

I wouldn't disagree with a GS as a choice- I've had a few, but they are oversold imho and not as certain a resale hero as they once were.
    I'd look seriously at a Triumph Tiger 1050 or 800 explorer they're a really nice ride with that soulful trple engine... there was a cracker on this forum for sale a while back