closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knives in your collection

Master
    At the risk of this turning into "The Knife Thread" what's the best way of sharpening my knives? If I just attack them with a diamond sharpener I doubt I'll keep the edge angle correct.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    Where would you look for a UK legal 3" on the nose blade with a touch of the elegant luxury (exotic scales? Damascus blade? A bit of guilloche work?)

My first thought was Laguiole but the standard size is too big in the blade and the proportions get all wrong when you scale down.

I'm feeling a "well done me" present coming on.....
    Russell White of sheffield used to make great traditional folders with a modern twist, don't know if he is still making, best find him on britishblades.com

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...-Russell-White

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    At the risk of this turning into "The Knife Thread" what's the best way of sharpening my knives? If I just attack them with a diamond sharpener I doubt I'll keep the edge angle correct.
    As mentioned elsewhere, "knife sharpening systems" could be a thread in its own right - I have maybe 4, no 5, maybe more options I can think of.
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Depends on the material, grind and shape of the blade... it's a science and art all of it's own.

What I do is just hand them all over to the professional sharpener bloke in our town - he does in an hour what would take me six, and with much better results.

I don't know about it being a collection but I have these, and some more, all have or do get used on a regular basis - except the old silver fruit knife bottom left.

Gray

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    As mentioned elsewhere, "knife sharpening systems" could be a thread in its own right - I have maybe 4, no 5, maybe more options I can think of.
    And depends on how much he wants to spend too. From a 5 quid stone to a £200 quid all in "clamps your knife at a preset angle, profiles and leaves you with a mirror finish"

Spyderco sharpmaker is an industry standard, takes some practice though, so start with cheap kitchen knives.

Personally speaking I'd never turn my knives over to someone I didn't know until I'd seen how he sharpens them

Very rarely without one on me, nothing wrong, violent, scary or abnormal they are a tool and a very handy one at that. Small friction folder when dressed up or in a suit, but normally have my leatherman wave in its pouch attached to my belt.

I say normally, here it is in the photograph below:-

Roughly in the middle of the shot, yep in the black goo,can't quite reach it yet but slowly working my way Down towards it hope to retrieve it at the weekend when the stinky black wrecked engine gets pulled out and replaced with a nice shiny rebuilt one.

Journeyman
    I'm by no means a knives collector but I have an opinel 8 and a leatherman multy tool in my car that come handy in many circumstances. I also have a swiss victorinox on my watch bench.

If anyone's looking for US made Spyderco UKPK, I just picked one up here: http://www.knifebargains.co.uk/cgi-b...3a10110#a10110

I'd never heard of them before, but I was looking specifically for the part-serrated and they were the only UK supplier I could find. The website looks a bit basic, but they answered my emails instantly and the knife was delivered next day.

Last edited by bonzo697; 4th February 2015 at 15:15. Reason: Pictures added

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    If anyone's looking for US made Spyderco UKPK, I just picked one up here: http://www.knifebargains.co.uk/cgi-b...3a10110#a10110
    Was the knife you received the leaf blade or the drop point? I think the picture shows a leaf blade but the description is drop point.

Yes it's leaf as per their picture. They have a drop with full serration too.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 4th February 2015 at 15:16.

Since the coppers nicked my lockers I haven't bothered to replace them and just carry my Leatherman.

Some cracking pieces on show here though.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    Love the Lone Wolf City Knife, classy! My EDC as well.

The only knife in my collection...

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I almost sold this custom built Davy Moore knife on SC - thank God I didn't.

Very nice.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by tekbow View Post

The service kuhkri given as a present to my step dad for me while working with some lovely Nepalese chaps

I hope you have drawn blood IAW the tradition of the lovely Nepalese chaps.

You know.. I asked an ex gurkha if that was true or not, he told me "no, but we don't mind people thinking it is" lol

It's bitten me a couple times though...

Not collecting any. Quite a few for more utilitarian purposes though. This one I like:

DSC07840.jpg

DSC07841.jpg
    Last edited by hako; 5th February 2015 at 17:53.

A couple more.

DSC07850.JPG

DSC07860.jpg

Master
    Blog Entries
    thats lovely, who made it?

Quote Originally Posted by london lad View Post

Boker gnome
    Spyderco ladybug
    Lapin puuko hunter

Cover all my needs
    Spyderco on keyring
    Ever since men lost touch with nature and hunting/ skinning etc the more close get to those metrosexuals i see on a daily basis
    I might be wrong :)

Quote Originally Posted by raptor View Post
    Lapin puuko hunter
    Sorry to be a nitpicker... Lapin puukko (literally, a "puukko" type of knife of Lapland) would be the correct spelling. Us Finns typically get their first puukko shortly after breastfeeding stops, but before learning to walk.

Edit: the one I posted pictures of is called sissipuukko, "a ranger's puukko". See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RRiGaIBJm4 for more details.
    Last edited by hako; 6th February 2015 at 15:29.

Quote Originally Posted by hako View Post
    Sorry to be a nitpicker... Lapin puukko (literally, a "puukko" type of knife of Lapland) would be the correct spelling. Us Finns typically get their first puukko shortly after breastfeeding stops, but before learning to walk.

Edit: the one I posted pictures of is called sissipuukko, "a ranger's puukko". See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RRiGaIBJm4 for more details.

Xaxaxa correct
    Looks nice
    Cost?

Do my Global knives count??

Got five in a lovely Global block. Really the kitchen and vegetable knife are all you'll ever need but....I like 'em.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    Russell White of sheffield used to make great traditional folders with a modern twist, don't know if he is still making, best find him on britishblades.com

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...-Russell-White

Thanks mate, registered and taking a look now.

Before this thread I was perfectly happy with my cheap plastic moose knife, but because of you lot , I've spent the past two days wading through different knife sites. This forum will be the ruin of me. Never mind the SC, every week there's something in the G&D I start to covet . Now I've got my eyes set on a Benchmade Megumi Gentleman's Knife. Any experiences and opinions would be most welcome, and if you should happen to have one for sale, please drop me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by raptor View Post
    Xaxaxa correct
    Looks nice
    Cost?
    Around 75 €.
    Last edited by Possu; 6th February 2015 at 17:37.

Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
    thats lovely, who made it?
    Guycep

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...locking-folder

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by london lad View Post
    That explains it. The man is a genius.

My first quality knife since I was a kid, if you don't count Leatherman multitools as quality knives. Just picked it up. Benchmade 428 Megumi. A couple of crappy pics:

The overall build quality seems good to my inexperienced eye. The finish is ok, needless to say it's pretty modest compared to quality watches. As you can see from the last pic, it's pretty small. Slips quite nicely in the little coin pocket of my jeans. Perfect size for EDC, I'd say.

Where do you guys go to buy your kitchen knives?

John Lewis or house of fraser? Mostly poundland

Quote Originally Posted by mjian View Post
    Most of us multi task with a variety of axes, machetes, hunting knives and cut throat razors
    Gray

Master
    http://www.heinnie.com/knives-and-tools/kitchen-knives

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Most of us multi task with a variety of axes, machetes, hunting knives and cut throat razors
    All right, I get it it was a stupid question. Maybe Ive should be more precise in my questions..
    What I meant was; Im looking for some great kitchen knives and I want something else than Global. Soooo... Need a good website.

Craftsman
    I bought a Finnish Enzo PK 70 recently and have been very impressed with the quality for the price , S 30WS steel . UK legal carry , a nice gentleman's folder , worth a look .

Master
    All right, I get it it was a stupid question. Maybe Ive should be more precise in my questions..
    What I meant was; Im looking for some great kitchen knives and I want something else than Global. Soooo... Need a good website.
    For top end, go bespoke and have some made by Stuart Mitchell -

http://www.stuartmitchellknives.com/

https://www.facebook.com/StuartMitchellKnives

Aaaahh ok, try here:

http://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk/page76.html#

Or Google sabatier knives, or as essexman says, Stuart Mitchell.

Thanks ;)

Actually it is kind of funny, all these beautiful utility knives etc on show but a fair portion of us probably have less money in kitchen knives than was spent on a single one of the folders and fixed blades shown here

I'll probably be buying my next kitchen knife/knives from here http://ioshen.co.uk/
    F.T.F.A.

Knives in your collection

Looks nice by the first glance.. How come you decided for these?
    Edited this post. Forgot that the GBP has climbed amazingly against SEK
    Last edited by mjian; 11th February 2015 at 00:28.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I'll probably be buying my next kitchen knife/knives from here http://ioshen.co.uk/
    Those are good- I've got a few of these

http://www.richmondcookshop.co.uk/in...ath=23_477_284

Master
    Thanks ;)
    No problem, this is another good online store - http://uk.knivesandtools.com/en/ct/kitchen-knives.htm

enjoy

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Sabrage - chopping off the top of a bottle of Champagne to open it, rather than just pop the cork like normal folks.
    I think it was a Napoleonic soldier thing (using the Sabre, hence the name).
    Not sure if there was sound reason or just chaps with swords arsing about - but I'd love to have a go, and that Bowie of yours would do a Nabuchadnezzer (I think that's the biggest??)
    It was a husar thing.
    Between exciting war things to do, they played a lot.
    Mostly to impress the girls.
    Bubbly bottle beheading on horseback with the sable was a favorite party trick.
    Still works:

All right, I get it it was a stupid question. Maybe Ive should be more precise in my questions.. What I meant was; Im looking for some great kitchen knives and I want something else than Global. Soooo... Need a good website.
    Nah. It wasn't a stupid question. I was being humorous (at least to me) but more info on price/use would help. Strangely I just keep sharp what we've had for years without thinking about replacing them. Probably because the Mrs and kids use them for handy crafts, diy and opening stuff. Left to my own devices I'd get as obsessed with the choice as I do about everything else blokey. I just lost some considerable time on the Heinnie site....
    Gray

Apologies for piggy-backing this thread, but you guys will probably know a good place to sell knives. I have an Alan Wood "Officer" I want to sell, can't really explain why I bought it now, it has no legitimate uses, must've seemed like a good idea at the time. Thanks in advance.

Yes! Couple of useful sites here now :) after switching from good to bad knives Ive decided to go back to the good ones :) It makes a difference in the long run, especially as Im tend to spend some time in the kitchen.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jools View Post
    Apologies for piggy-backing this thread, but you guys will probably know a good place to sell knives. I have an Alan Wood "Officer" I want to sell, can't really explain why I bought it now, it has no legitimate uses, must've seemed like a good idea at the time. Thanks in advance.
    SC, surely.

Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    For top end, go bespoke and have some made by Stuart Mitchell -

http://www.stuartmitchellknives.com/

https://www.facebook.com/StuartMitchellKnives
    Stu is a member of this forum as well!