closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yachtmaster Blue Dial - Should I?

Yachtmaster Blue Dial - Should I?

I have used the search function and have picked up a few disparate comments about this watch some good, some indifferent but having recently tried one on I was really quite taken with it. Appreciate its a little bit blingy but I'm constantly drawn to not having a Sub/Sub Clone.

But I'm someone who is notoriously 'flippant' so was a little worried about the resale levels and lets say if it were listed on Sales Corner.

So the bottom line is that the RRP is £8240 and I've located one for £5500 at a dealer which at 30% off seems like a good deal even if the YM isn't everyone's cup of tea. Its still under warranty as well.

As and when the JLC Navy Seals goes (currently on SC) then I'm very tempted to go for it and whilst I'm a big boy and can make my own mistakes/choices I'm also inevitably curious about the Forums view of this watch and this model.

Cheers.

Chris

Master
    i had one, its lovely

the pcls are what ultimately made me flip

i just cant get along with them

I really like them and wouldn't be put off by lack of popularity at that price.

Journeyman

Regretted selling mine

I sold one last year and regretted it straight away. I have relatively small wrists and found it very comfortable. You can get new ones for around the £6K mark if you look hard enough. I think it needs to be a keeper unless you get it at a really good price, as I found it relatively difficult to flip.

Blog Entries
    Have to say I was a little underwhelmed by it when I tried on, somehow the blue dial made it feel smaller than it was. I'd still go for the original platinum dial variant as that's a cracking watch.

Master
    Why is the blue dialled one a lot more expensive than the silver one? Is it just an age thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Why is the blue dialled one a lot more expensive than the silver one? Is it just an age thing?
    RRP is higher on the platinum dial (silver) but have had a longer production so used prices do seem to sit lower at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Funnily enough I was told the other way around in WOS on Regent Street because the silver one has platinum in it. I've since discovered he was talking out of his derriere.

I can only assume blue platinum is more rare than silver platinum.

Silver dial yes, blue dial no, just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    Funnily enough I was told the other way around in WOS on Regent Street because the silver one has platinum in it. I've since discovered he was talking out of his derriere.

I can only assume blue platinum is more rare than silver platinum.
    Both have platinum on them due to the bezel and on the silver dial version it is mean to be platinum PVD dial.

Blog Entries
    Great looking watch, go for it.

Banned
    I like it a lot but you are always gonna take a hair cut when moving a YM on.

Banned
    Personally I'm not keen on the YM, although the blue dial one is by far the best.

Blog Entries
    Get one, they are great and a little different to all the subs😊

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    i had one, its lovely

the pcls are what ultimately made me flip

i just cant get along with them
    Sorry, what are the pcls?

I've looked at the silver dial more and more over the last year, but TBH I doubt I'd prefer it over my sub, so have resisted bothering, but I do quite like it, (not keen on the blue).

Master
    PCL = Polished Centre Links

Must admit I'd always have the thought to brush them.

Ok generally positive comments so thats encouraging. So if someone can just sign an agreement guaranteeing to buy it off me for no less than 5% of purchase price then I'm good to go! ;-)

I've had the silver dialled one and very nice too, also like the blue- a bit less common too
    good price

Craftsman
    Was gonna get one was about 5 seconds from pulling the trigger but whacked 5k overpayment on the mortgage instead ! Idiot haha. Bye rrp is about 7600 not over 8k

Like both versions, blue and silver. It is my third favourite Rolex after the GMT IIc BlueBlack and new blue Milgauss

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It's a nice looking watch but they seem to plummet.
    On the similar dial front I really like the blue thunderbird. Cheaper too.

Started off loving the blue my, then grew to hate it as so showey, but now? There's a nagging thought in the back of my mind, I'm starting to love it again

Mine only lasted a few weeks - too bling for me.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Blog Entries
    I have a 2009 v series platinum and I love mine. Remember it has a superior movement against the subs and God's. I have had most role sports watches and it's my favourite as it's not as common (or unpopular!). One man's nightmare is another ones dream! I'd go for the blue dial as it's different. one way not to take a hit is to buy a quality second hand one perhaps? My advice is.......just do it! Good luck.

I have owned 4 different varieties of Sub, and all were flipped, some faster than others.However, my blue YM has proved to be a keeper.

Blog Entries
    I agree with the above comment Andrew

Banned
    It's a great looking watch, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel76 View Post
    I have a 2009 v series platinum and I love mine. Remember it has a superior movement against the subs and God's. I have had most role sports watches and it's my favourite as it's not as common (or unpopular!). One man's nightmare is another ones dream! I'd go for the blue dial as it's different. one way not to take a hit is to buy a quality second hand one perhaps? My advice is.......just do it! Good luck.
    ?? It has exactly the same movement.

I'd say go for it! If you like it that is. It's a lovely watch and it felt fantastic on the wrist when I tried one on - the Blue dial is the first YM I've really liked. They should have put the SubC clasp on it though - that really annoys me - as well as the fact the SDc doesn't have the DSSD clasp on it!
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    ?? It has exactly the same movement.

I'd say go for it! If you like it that is. It's a lovely watch and it felt fantastic on the wrist when I tried one on - the Blue dial is the first YM I've really liked. They should have put the SubC clasp on it though - that really annoys me - as well as the fact the SDc doesn't have the DSSD clasp on it!
    So what is missing from the clasp I didn't notice that. Are we talking GlidelocK?

Otherwise thanks for the continued comments which remain generally positive. I know my wife would love the mortgage overpayment idea hut whoever enjoyed doing that!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    ...l and on the silver dial version it is mean to be platinum PVD dial.
    Where do these myths come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Where do these myths come from?
    Been debated a few times read this
    http://www.watchwallpapers.com/plat.htm

There is a gorgeous YM (with silver dial) on the SC at the moment. And quite a saving on the blue face model.

Master
    Been debated a few times read this
    http://www.watchwallpapers.com/plat.htm
    I did, when it was first posted. You apparently haven't. Where in your little mind did you get the idea that the dial is "PVD"?

It's platinum, Numpkin. Platinum.

I did, when it was first posted. You apparently haven't. Where in your little mind did you get the idea that the dial is "PVD"?

It's platinum, Numpkin. Platinum.

little minded?!

Did you really feel the need to insult me like that, this is meant to be an informative and friendly forum, a polite correction would of done!

And I know the dial is platinum but I was under the impression the dial effect was via PVD just like the LV dial and bezels markings, that's how this site works people share their knowledge???
    Last edited by pitbull666; 10th February 2015 at 10:53.

I've nearly traded for one of these a couple of times. I went to try one at an AD and both times found it a little too much for me.

As others mentioned it's quite noticeable and showy with the PCLs and blue dial. Lovely, but not exactly subtle.

Blog Entries

The dial is lovely isn't it?

As someone said earlier, makes a nice change from the me-too Subs, but it does seem that if you buy new, you'll take a hit if you resell.

I like it, but not enough to want to buy one, but as someone said, certainly the best looking of the YMs.

M

Master
    little minded?!

Did you really feel the need to insult me like that, this is meant to be an informative and friendly forum, a polite correction would of done!

And I know the dial is platinum but I was under the impression the dial effect was via PVD just like the LV dial and bezels markings, that's how this site works people share their knowledge???
    Please accept my apology.

The thread was rumbling on, talking about "silver" dials et cetera, and the mention of PVD was too much to bear.

For information's sake, the dial is solid platinum, that has been 'frosted'. A traditional finish, usually applied to movements.

Anyway, Tinker
    Last edited by Tinker; 10th February 2015 at 15:55.

Grand Master
    My advice to the OP is to buy what you like, not what this forum perceives as 'right'. The majority of the stuff I own doesn`t fit the forum 'majority template' of desirability. Enjoy being in the minority......I do.

As for the watch, I like it, but I`d always go for a good second-hand one. The only downside (for me) is that bezel, which looks nice but is easy to damage and eye-wateringly expensive to replace. Scope for fixing/refinishing is limited. Polished centre links are fine, but they do seem to 'attract' scratches.

On balance, I`d say 'go for it'.

Paul

Craftsman
    As has already been said, go for it, if you like it. I always find them interesting & would certainly have go at the right price.

If you have one available new at £5500 - then go for it - My AD has one like new for £6250 - so quite a difference. if you go for it, I guarantee I will buy it off you for at least £4500, provided it has not been run over or trashed and remains a full set :)

The clasp appears to be the same as the 42mm Explorer II and GMT II's, so no glidelick like the Subs.

Master
    The clasp appears to be the same as the 42mm Explorer II and GMT II's, so no glidelick like the Subs.
    Older Yachtmaster clasp top, new bottom ...

I prefer the old.

(Photo Jocke - of course.)

I like elements of both clasps - ultimately, I prefer the older bracelets - but the new ones look great :)

Master
    I like elements of both clasps - ultimately, I prefer the older bracelets - but the new ones look great :)
    I agree.

I had the choice and chose the oldie, because it's thinner and because the thumb-release sits in, or on the slope of. the groove in the wrist (that doctors use to take your pulse).

That said, the new/Daytona version looks more substantial*.

(*Ultimately, however, both depend on spring-bars to keep the watch on your wrist, of course.)

Master
    And, OP, don't forget the ...

Parachrom mainspring
    Triplock crown
    120-click bezel (which is solid platinum)
    and 'Supercase' ...

And, OP, don't forget the ...

Parachrom mainspring
    Triplock crown
    120-click bezel (which is solid platinum)
    and 'Supercase' ...

Thanks Tinker. Does look quite, quite lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    I like it a lot but you are always gonna take a hair cut when moving a YM on.
    Certainly that's true with the platinum dial versions. Chrono24 is stuffed full of those starting from just over £3k for a 16622, at which price it's a lot of watch for your money.

I think the blue dial may hold their value better, as there aren't so many of them about, and of course they'll all be 116622's. But at the end of the day it's a real marmite Rolex.

Have a silver dialed one. My first Rolex and it's certainly a gorgeous watch. The PCLs are a constant worry though! I say go for it

At £5500 I'd be tempted to move the LV Hulk on for one of them. I like my Rolex to have a little colour these days...

If you decide not to go for it, could you drop me the dealers details please?

Please accept my apology.

The thread was rumbling on, talking about "silver" dials et cetera, and the mention of PVD was too much to bear.

For information's sake, the dial is solid platinum, that has been 'frosted'. A traditional finish, usually applied to movements.

Anyway, Tinker
    No worries fella, we live and learn! TBH it was assumption on my apart and we all know what assumption is....

Just learnt about frosting never heard that term before to me it looked similar the the bezel indices on my Sub/SD hence I think where I got the PVD mistake from.

I promise to never mention the PVD on this topic again
    :-)