closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one excited by this? (Porsche content)

Am I the only one excited by this? (Porsche content)

Cayman GT4, I really look forward to hearing more about this....

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-p...-updated/31558

This could be a truly amazing car. And a good investment...

Last edited by .olli.; 4th February 2015 at 21:50. Reason: Added a pic

Master
    Great to see it is manual and from what I've read of the Cayman R as you say it will be a phenominal car.
    I wonder if it will attract the traditional 911 purists though. Not me unfortunately, especially at that price.
    May be in 10 years time when the GT9 comes out....and I will be able to afford the GT4

Master
    Not the only one. I like this too.

Thing is: when I've driven Caymans (as a courtesy car when 911 being serviced etc) Ive always found them too small.

But love the look of them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Will be a cracker, blue one for me please.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    A used GT3 will be far better when is comes to both driving and investment reality.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomw2000 View Post
    Not the only one. I like this too.

Thing is: when I've driven Caymans (as a courtesy car when 911 being serviced etc) Ive always found them too small.

But love the look of them.
    Agreed, but at six foot three I found it way too small.

Yep that looks and sounds gorgeous. A bit steep price wise though at only £9000 less than a 911, but personally I'd buy the Cayman GT4 if I had the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Will be a cracker, blue one for me please.
    How about this (artist impression!). I love it

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    Yep that looks and sounds gorgeous. A bit steep price wise though at only £9000 less than a 911, but personally I'd buy the Cayman GT4 if I had the money.
    Price not that steep I think if it is going to be a limited edition
    A new "standard" 911 will depreciate very badly
    One of these will not if they are rare enough. Sounds like a lot of cash for a Cayman, but in the grand scheme it is not if it is depreciation free motoring.
    I guess being able to afford the price tag is only half the battle anyway, I imagine they will be very difficult to get hold of!

Quote Originally Posted by .olli. View Post
    One of these will not if they are rare enough. Sounds like a lot of cash for a Cayman, but in the grand scheme it is not if it is depreciation free motoring.
    I guess being able to afford the price tag is only half the battle anyway, I imagine they will be very difficult to get hold of!
    True, I'd guess there is already a list?

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    True, I'd guess there is already a list?
    Yes, and I'm on the list of those who can't afford it

Master
    Not a numbered limited edition, but production will be limited by the resources of the GT department. Lots of info in this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGVWojMMeg4

I watched the Evo video this morning, what a fantastic car!

I'm a 911 fan boy, but this did grab my interest.

Craftsman
    What a corker!

That might just make me break out the wallet.

Cheers,

Plug

Didn't think I'd ever be interested in a Cayman.

Not when an older 911 offers more.

This shakes things up a bit though.

Craftsman
    This will almost certainly be a great car. It's about time though as the cayman has long been held back because of it's big brother. Well done to porsche for finally bringing it out. It comes with a manual 'box too!

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Didn't think I'd ever be interested in a Cayman.

Not when an older 911 offers more.

This shakes things up a bit though.

This.

I think that it looks fabulous, and is going to hit the sweet spot for a lot of people. Although, according to The Internet (so it must be true) Porsche dealers are having to fight off hordes of hopeful potential buyers, all waving their deposits, with large sticks.

Doubtless there will be a few offered at a not unsubstantial premium on the secondhand market shortly after launch.

Master
    As I've said elsewhere, it's the 'new 911' and the 991 is now the 'new GT'.

Cayman GT4, I really look forward to hearing more about this....

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-p...-updated/31558

I can't get excited by it. If Porsche made an MX-5 - 1,000kg, basic, small turbocharged engine - I'd be interested. I'll have to wait to try the Cayman to see if I a) fit and b) am that interested. I think I'd rather have a 911 C2 bearing in mind I know I fit in the 996 and 997.

I'm a bit of a caveman though, I like a nice lightweight car with little grip and no driver aids.

Master
    If it came to a choice between a "boggo" Carrera and the Cayman GT4, for the money I would absolutely take the Cayman. But when you go down the range to the Cayman GTS, the entry level 911 is far more attractive. But by that point you're talking about a £20k price difference rather than £9k.

Whilst I am currently in the market for a Porsche, it's only going to be a late year 986 Boxster S unfortunately. Poverty Pork!

Master
    I have a friend who left a provisional deposit back in November when the salesman he deals with told him about the car and showed him it on the system.

At the time he was getting out of an M4 which he hated. He was thinking about a 991 GTS which was due for release at that time but went for a Cayman GTS as he loved his previous 981S. He bought the Cayman GTS on an agreed buy back for the GT4 but now the details are out he's thinking he'll probably cancel that. His main reason is due to the fact it's not limited. He looked at Cayman R prices and thinks that's a pretty good comparison.

Master
    if limited run then i agree, rarer than a 911 and manual. possibly the nearest thing to a purists road racing Porker you can get today. the 911 has become a bit bloated and electronic when compared to what the GT3 really stands for in the enthusiasts eyes (recent GT3 prices seem to confirm this).

had a late model boxster as a loaner and loved it despite being 6'5"; if this was just for occassional use on sports seats then i could be tempted. not sure my licence will though!

Master
    I do believe it is not a limited run.

Clocked it in today's Telegraph - looks gorgeous, major want!

Seriously tempted by one of these but fear I may be a little late. No configurator that I can find online so looks like I'll be going to my nearest dealer at the weekend to see whether it's available in Riviera Blue or similar and find out what the waiting time is.

Master
    The Porsche.co.uk configurator has the Cayman GT4 in it...

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    The Porsche.co.uk configurator has the Cayman GT4 in it...
    thanks so it does, didn't see that before. I know how I'm now spending my afternoon!

Yep going to have a play too. Just watched the vid as well, thanks for that!
    I love the fact that they put just a manual in atm, ok it may be tenths of a second slower than a PDK but (as he says) it's more about the emotion.
    Big want....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    A used GT3 will be far better when is comes to both driving and investment reality.
    This got my vote today. 997 Gen 2, 2010 vintage.

Master
    Must... Rethink... Career choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    This got my vote today. 997 Gen 2, 2010 vintage.

You got your own vote? Voting against yourself only has one winner !!

Well played 

I fear that there may be some man maths at work here. The only non-911 Porsche that I can think of that has proven a good investment (leaving aside 356's and cars of that era) is the 968 Club Sport.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    I fear that there may be some man maths at work here. The only non-911 Porsche that I can think of that has proven a good investment (leaving aside 356's and cars of that era) is the 968 Club Sport.
    The Boxster Spyder is doing quite well, but it is the only one I can think of... And i don't know exact prices so may well be wrong.

It will be down to how many get produced ultimately... It is a niche market after all, so it would be easy to flod it

924 Carrera GT. I was thinking this morning how I should have bought one when they were £15k or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    924 Carrera GT. I was thinking this morning how I should have bought one when they were £15k or so.
    That reminds me of another one. The Carrera GT... Definitely a good investement for anyone who could afford the list price!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Good call. I remember lusting after the one in Ian Anthony's Bramhall showroom as a boy...

Yes! I put a deposit down this morning! Very excited.

The Boxster Spyder is doing quite well, but it is the only one I can think of... And i don't know exact prices so may well be wrong.

It will be down to how many get produced ultimately... It is a niche market after all, so it would be easy to flod it
    I'd agree the Boxster Spyder is the best thing to compare it to here and also this is a bona fide 'Porsche GT' car developed by the GT team.

Quote Originally Posted by therossatron View Post
    Yes! I put a deposit down this morning! Very excited.

I'm sure that we could offer some help with the specification. The configurator is quite good fun, as I'm sure several of us have discovered.

Go on!

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    I'm sure that we could offer some help with the specification. The configurator is quite good fun, as I'm sure several of us have discovered.

Go on!
    haha, well I've been back and forth a few times on some things!

so far:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PGV8H3T5

do your worst!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    You got your own vote? Voting against yourself only has one winner !!

Well played 
    It was nothing.😄

Hah!

Do you remember the VW Polo Harlequin? Well that's pretty much the colour scheme for your interior now........

Craftsman
    That's stunning!

Quote Originally Posted by therossatron View Post
    haha, well I've been back and forth a few times on some things!

so far:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PGV8H3T5

do your worst!
    No Club Sport pack? as a road car (which it will be 99.9% of the time) totally pointless but as a Porsche GT car I'm tempted to spec

Quote Originally Posted by njr911 View Post
    No Club Sport pack? as a road car (which it will be 99.9% of the time) totally pointless but as a Porsche GT car I'm tempted to spec
    I thought about it but at £2600 it's basically a pretty expensive harness bar. I currently really only do 1 track day a year, and harnesses are a PITA for the road so they would probably be removed most of the time. In saying that with a car more suited to the track than my F355 I fancy getting one of those insurance policies that include a few days a year and go more often!

Quote Originally Posted by njr911 View Post
    Especially when it comes to residuals.

I would add the 944 Turbo and a manual 928 (if you can find one). However the best sleeper at the moment is the 914 - still available at around £7K and does not need much to make it quite racy.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Especially when it comes to residuals.
    I would have thought this would more the case for the GT3 as it has its own race series but the GT4 does not (well not yet!)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I would add the 944 Turbo and a manual 928 (if you can find one). However the best sleeper at the moment is the 914 - still available at around £7K and does not need much to make it quite racy.
    Agreed........Not sure about the £7K bit, but the prices are only going to go one way, after years of being under-appreciated.

As for the latest offering?........I don`t get it. I`d happily buy a 'standard' Cayman or possibly stump up the extra for the S, I did consider it, but I don't see the appeal of the GT4. On normal roads the performance advantage is meaningless. Visually, I think it's awful; I like the standard Cayman but the black wheels and garish colours ruin it.

I`ve been interested in cars for many years, and I have to smile at the way colours come and go into fashion. I`ve seen that mid-blue somewhere else.....I think it was in the 80s on a Ford Sierra hire car I used briefly.

Maybe I`m just getting old, but I don`t see the attraction of cars that are so out of step with the reality of modern (UK) roads. I`m a sucker for figures and in the past I`ve had a headful of power/weight ratios and acceleration times (sad, I know).....but I just can`t relate to the modern performance cars and I don`t think I`m alone.

I guess it's all about the 'pose' factor, and maybe it always has been, even back in the days when fast cars could be used to their (relatively modest) full potential.

Paul