closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any interesting watches in your meetings?

Any interesting watches in your meetings?

Stuck in a meeting earlier today and as it wore on I started checking out the watches on show….

2 x Breitlings
    1 x Hamilton Jazzmaster (mine)
    1 x Skagen
    1 x Ferrari branded quartz
    And
    1 x heart rate monitor.

Anything more interesting to a WIS in your meetings recently?

I once stopped someone mid-speaking in a meeting at noon so I could point out to everyone that my Seiko Orange Monster was showing 'rocket time'.

They thought I was an idiot.

Took me a minute to get 'rocket time', but I got there in the end. Laffo.

Nope, nothing. I occasionally get to chat about watches with my co-workers, but this morning? A quartz chrono, a Man U branded three hander, and some Guess thing? Actually, the Guess was on a 22mm NATO that I supplied to my co-worker, much to her delight.

Nothing interesting at all!

Not a meeting but see a guy with what looks like a nice 5513 on a multi-colored nato in the gym last week.

I would love to have been a fly on the wall in the "Rocket Time" meeting - No sillier than most of what gets said in meetings, in my experience...

Most interesting watches I've spotted in a meeting recently were

Breitling Bentley - Former banker turned Headhunter
    Skagen - someone from a client, can't remember who now.
    TAG of some sort - My boss, but it's actually quite smart.
    Heart Monitors - a couple of the sportier members of staff.

The last place a worked, the salesmen all had Omegas (and they all had BMWs for a while too, not company ones, until the Alpha-male bought an Audi, then they all trickled to Audis - Presumably if he's bought a Rolex, they're all doing the same too!)...

Quote Originally Posted by rgee View Post
    Not a meeting but see a guy with what looks like a nice 5513 on a multi-colored nato in the gym last week.
    Careful you're not seen to be checking the guys at the gym too closely...

I do try and see what people are wearing on the tube, but I've noticed people see me looking and covering them up, I probably look like a mugger

It's probably my fake Breitling...

M
    Last edited by snowman; 9th February 2015 at 18:05.

3 or 4 G shocks and a Tissot thing with a bright orange silicone strap and a titanium Aquatimer 2000

Wall to wall bi-metal Rolex here, mostly GMTs, a Sub and a DJ.

Also a Monza Cal36 and a Planet Ocean 8500, which both used to belong to me :)

I'm in a GO Panoinverse.

Master
    Exclusively empty wristed colleagues here, I teach in HE...

I always look out for watches in my meetings and have yet to see anything of interest! I guess I am in the wrong meetings...

A Patek 10, a ghastly Piaget in YG, a Rolex 5513, two Armida A 7's, a Timex, an Autozilla, a fake Hublot and a fake DSSD-
    Not exactly in a meeting as I do something more substantial than sitting in meetings ( kiddin) but people I encountered today at work.

A Blancpain moonphase of some sort
    And the odd Rolex here or there nothing massively out of the ordinary other wise

Most notable recently was a rose gold Daytona worn by the MD / owner of a supplier company to us...
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    Mostly fashion brands in our office, but there are a few exceptions (and I realise some of the below could come under fashion).

Breitling superocean heritage 46
    Seamaster
    DSOM
    Planet ocean 8500
    Rado chronograph
    Tag carerra

Client offices are a different story, we work with hedge funds, so there is normally a lot more to look at when visiting them.
    Last edited by Enda; 9th February 2015 at 21:33.

Breitlling Superocean, U-boat, Cartier Santos, Omega AT 8500(mine).

Master
    Not in a meeting, but recently I spotted a nice Panerai a few seats away from me on the opposite side of the tube carriage. The chap caught me looking so I mouthed the words "nice watch" and smiled. He mouthed "thanks", while his wife rolled her eyes. Then he turned and grinned at her - I translated the grin as "see, I told you it was worth it". Made me chuckle.

Timex, some sort of cheap digital casio, a shiny sekonda, a red herring watch.

(Work in HE as well).

At a meeting last week the guy in front of me had a beautiful Daytona paul Newman. It looked in great condition too. What a gorgeous watch.

Today at a meeting I saw a black dialed Pulsar quartz, a Seiko chrono, a red Ferrari F1 chrono... so no, nothing interesting.

Craftsman
    4 of us in a quick meeting today and I know all the watches present.

Breitling Bentley worn by my boss. Great chunk of steel.
    Breitling Superocean on the wrist of a supplier
    Breitling Aerospace repetition minutes on a colleague
    Rolex GMT Master on me.

Proud to be the odd one out!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    There's a woman in my work who I spotted wearing a ceramic sub date.
    I said "nice sub" and she looked at me like I was insane before convering her wrist and saying "yeah, it's a rolex"
    that was possibly the first and last conversation I've had with her.

My meetings tend to be either g shocks or fashion stuff.

Journeyman
    A few of my co-workers wear various Seiko 5 models, one cheaper Tissot, a early Tag 2000 diver and a couple GShocks. Nothing groundbreaking. I wear a PRS-18Q pretty much all the time, unless it's a special occasion.

A career spent in Finance (ugh) so Rolexes galore. The Sub-date is the classic 'I know nothing about watches but want a status symbol' bought with the first bonus cheque in my industry. Loads of Daytonas. Always try and keep my eye out for something a little different. There are 2 Richard Milles on my colleague's wrists at the moment, one in RG. Another colleague is a real WIS and has a collection of vintage 70s Seiko divers and a rather lovely Panerai Radiomir. We spend too much time in meetings talking about vintage 70s Omega Chronos.

Not in a meeting face to face, per se, but on Skype - saw a stunning Meistersinger regulator!

No nice watches in tech

I work in tech and most people don't wear watches. I do spot Timex or Pebble every once in a while. The nicest watch I've spotted so far is a 36mm Seamaster.

It'd be cool to see someone come in with a Nomos or PO.

Quote Originally Posted by EtherealShade View Post
    A few of my co-workers wear various Seiko 5 models, one cheaper Tissot, a early Tag 2000 diver and a couple GShocks. Nothing groundbreaking. I wear a PRS-18Q pretty much all the time, unless it's a special occasion.
    Met a senior staff who just causally asked if I brought any Seiko recently. Understanding that he earns much more than me and has been very proud of his golden Seiko brought in UK years ago, I showed him the Landmaster. He then politely said he never saw anything like this and it looks nice. I told him that Seiko has a similar item what was in a Space mission once......

"Then how much is that?" he asked.

I said $xxxxxxxxx

"I won't spend that much for a Seiko!" he replied.

So either he thinks Seiko shouldn't worth that much or he just thought that I puffed.

Blog Entries
    Was in a meeting the other day with a guy who had a blue face deepsea which was nice. I couldn't stop starring at it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel76 View Post
    Was in a meeting the other day with a guy who had a blue face deepsea which was nice. I couldn't stop starring at it!
    The D-Blue edition or all blue? :-)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    How wonderful it is realizing that I have not had to attend any such meeting for the past 20 years!!

My sort of equivalent is watch-ing at deluxe parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    How wonderful it is realizing that I have not had to attend any such meeting for the past 20 years!!

My sort of equivalent is watch-ing at deluxe parties.
    What is a de-luxe party? It sounds very euro-trash!

Us poor old wage slaves just get to go to normal parties with normal people and have a bit of a laugh.

Banned
    Blog Entries

GREAT ONE

Quote Originally Posted by ArghZombies View Post
    I once stopped someone mid-speaking in a meeting at noon so I could point out to everyone that my Seiko Orange Monster was showing 'rocket time'.

They thought I was an idiot.
    Brilliantly relativating fun.
    Thanks for sharing.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    What is a de-luxe party?
    It is the most neutral way I could come up with to lump together the VERY enjoyable, well organized, understated good taste social venues of those who spend their quality time in the 24/7 guarded luxury villa complexes. The complexes which make so much of the loveliest bits of Mediterranean coast and the hills overlooking it inaccessible to the social class of those guarding them.

It is all VERY interesting as the wealth gap is translated way more complicated into watch wearing than marketing would make you assume.
    I think that at either end it, the watch status image, is not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    Us poor old wage slaves just get to go to normal parties with normal people and have a bit of a laugh.
    I am not even a wage slave and have 'arrived' nowhere on the social ladder; I mostly grow my own food :-)
    As such am a bit on the side and see normal people only, having a laugh at whichever level of the social ladder they move.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 10th February 2015 at 09:23.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    It is the most neutral way I could come up with to lump together the VERY enjoyable, well organized, understated good taste social venues of those who spend their quality time in the 24/7 guarded luxury villa complexes.
    I have no idea about any of those, but as you do, it's a noble act to let others know by way of public service ;).
    Wealth gap, class etc.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    I have no idea about any of those, but as you do, it's a noble act to let others know by way of public service ;).
    It has been a pleasure.

It is interesting perspective for the aspirational side of our watch hobby.

Not in a meeting but a higher level staff member from another department approached me regarding a query and whilst I was looking into the issue he spotted my Explorer and said 'nice Explorer'. I was suddenly embarrassed and replied something like 'err, yeah thanks'. He probably then thought it was a fake by the way I reacted and being considerably lower in the ranks. I spotted him wearing a Submariner and IWC previously.

I few of my colleagues know I am into watches but I have never said I wear a Rolex and like the fact the Explorer largely goes unnoticed.

I tend to work with geeks/engineers, and in my meeting today I've seen a Tag chrono, Tissot T-Touch, Breitling Evo and a shiny fashion watch.

Company medical today, Dr was wearing a Speedmaster Reduced. What a very, very good looking watch it is; I might even prefer the proportions to the Speedy Pro!

I had on a Seiko Tuna and felt like an oaf :)

Craftsman
    Client walked in with a PAM 251 Daylight. I think I was more enthused with it than he was!

Nothing very exiting lately.
    In a meeting last week I wore a GS SGBA031 Titanium Diver, a colleague wearing an 45mm Omega PO, and another with a Bi-Metal Daytona.
    The other half dozen or so just wearing high street quartz.

Generally a good collection in our weekly meeting. Rolex GMT, 3 Tags, Tissot V8, 2 Breitlings and generally my Oris or Tag.

Blog Entries
    Sadly, many no longer wear a timepiece.

Recently, I have noticed ...

General manager wore a Rolex 16610 sub date.
    Sales director wore a Swiss Army Diver (which he bitched about)
    (Ex) colleague wore an IWC GST chrono. Nice watch, but no indication of character. He was a t!t.
    EU marketing director wore a nice Sinn Chrono.
    German sales manager wore a Seiko diver.
    Others don't bother to wear watches.

z
    Last edited by zelig; 11th February 2015 at 13:31.

Master

Mostly Breitling

I have a few meetings with various guys from McDonalds and they all seem to have 806's so I can only presume its a reward thing?
    Plus quite a few guys I see in the security industry have Cartier Tank's??
    My boss has a Rolex Datejust, 6694, Breitling Bentley, Citizen Ltd Ed and an Omega GMT 300 so I see them in meetings all the time!!😉

Chris

Master
    In the organisation that I work for it's a case of go tough (G-Shock) or go cheap (F-91W), such is the risk of damage. We have quite a few ex-servicemen so you see G10s and the like, and every now and then you'll be surprised by someone wearing a Breitling; Super Avenger II springs to mind, which is usually but not limited to being worn by non-operational staff.
    Last edited by MST; 11th February 2015 at 18:45.

Craftsman
    Of the 11 lads on Red Watch at the Fire Station only 4 wear watches,

1 x Next Chrono,
    1 CWC G10 , ex MoD Police,
    1 x Polar heart monitor,

and me, Rolex GMT, G Shock Titanium, Aqualung 500m diver in rotation.

At a team meeting this week; one Rolex sub (the guy has wanted one for years and has finally bought one after his kids left home), one very bling and big Brietling (not sure which model) and an IWC pilot xvi (I can see myself owning one of those) plus assorted fashion stuff including a fake gold, skeleton monstrosity- and my omega aqua terra :-)

Rolex Datejust x 2 (1 gents, 1 ladies)
    G-Shock Cockpit
    Mondaine Quartz
    CWC G10 x 2
    Black Seiko Monster on Shark mesh
    Rolex SD (mine)
    Casio Pro trek
    Casio F10

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Sadly, many no longer wear a timepiece
    Well said! The majority of people in this day and age seem to prefer a digital version of a pocket watch manufactured by Apple, Samsung etc rather than wear a timepiece
    Last edited by CafeRacer; 10th February 2015 at 22:00. Reason: correcting spelling mistake!

CEO has a DSSD which replaced a bi metal sub.
    Senior managers all seem to wear Tags, except mine who wears a very nice inherited JLC of 60s vintage.
    The occasional Breitling amonst the interim managers and someone else has a Tissot Visiodate.

Banned
    My line manager wears a white faced Daytona, and one of our female engineers wears a panerai which I think looks really cool on her wrist even though she is tiny, and another engineer has a diamond faced bretling

A colleague has just bought a samsung 'Gear S' smartwatch. It is ugly enough to put you off smartwatches for life! Another wears a Hublot footballers watch, which makes me feel quite ill just looking at it.

Craftsman
    Engineers have dire watches - our director (male I would add) wears a faux gold Michael Kors watch... sigh...