closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pics of the Grey Side of The Moon Speedy are starting to pop up...

Master

Pics of the Grey Side of The Moon Speedy are starting to pop up...

I'm not in the market but just spotted this on another forum. I like the lume around the bezel which is probably pretty pointless, but I like it nonetheless; not so sure about the Omega logo lume on the crown though.

I think I prefer the Dark Side model over this but I just wish they both were 100M WR rather than just 50M. Might have to try one on next time I'm passing an Omega store with stock :-)

Last edited by W44NNE; 15th February 2015 at 01:37.

Wow someone got creative with the lume when they were designing that,

Bezel is a little bit too much for me, but I actually like crown lume, it's a bit of fun, albeit pointless, and there's no harm in that.

Another vote for crown lume

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster77 View Post
    Another vote for crown lume
    and another!

Master
    Surprised but I guess Omega's consumer groups are offering good feedback then

A lumed date wheel would of really set this off.. Well, it would of been much more practical than a lumed crown and tachymetre anyway.. ;)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It looks much better in the dark than in the daylight!

Well, there's something you don't see every day.

The white date wheel on a grey dial is a bit jarring for me, but then again I'm a date wheel snob.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post

The white date wheel on a grey dial is a bit jarring for me, but then again I'm a date wheel snob.
    #lazy

Journeyman
    Really liking the look of that.

Apprentice
    Love the crown lume. Great idea Omega. And yes I agree, the date wheel should be the same color as the dial, and possibly lumed as well!

Craftsman
    Pretty cool!

I saw one of these in the Omega store at the Trafford Centre yesterday. Sure, It's a handsome watch in the flesh, but at a smidge under £8k...in the Trafford Centre it'll be staying!

Very nice, but the Moon watch will be my no.1 Speedy, forever.

Banned
    The dial and bezel look great, but the overall look has a slightly washed out look on the strap.

Master
    I tried one at the Vienna airport. Lovely watch on the wrist but the price is just insane!

Love the lume (including the crown lume) but eight grand???!!!!?

I am very much a Rolex chap but I tried the "Dark Side" version of this watch a few months back and was really impressed..........just wondering how they will be viewed in ten years time.......a classic or a dated "fashion piece"?

Talk about wringing every last drop out of a classic design.

I have a couple of Speedies but this one doesn't appeal at all, not at half the price - £8k is madness and indicitive of the price insanity that is turning this hobby in to a road to nowhere for those wanting to buy new Swiss pieces.

Way too big for that guys wrist anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Aquavit View Post
    Way too big for that guys wrist anyway
    Agreed. Lugs passed the edge of the wrist = clown watch.

Not loving that, it's a bit swatchy.

I bought mine 2 weeks ago. In the flesh it looks completely different - IMHO it's the best sub £10k watch you can buy - great movement, premium finishing, IMHO lovely looks. I'm delighted with mine.

The grey ceramic gives it a unique look, the platinum dial is a stunner. If I compare it to the Yachtmaster I used to own the Omega is on a different planet in terms of sheer quality. But everyone's mileage will vary of course

Journeyman
    I love the lume on the crown..Does the DSOM also have the crown lume?
    Last edited by kssantosh; 15th February 2015 at 14:30.

Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post

I imagine it would be difficult to replicate the visual effect of that dial on a date wheel so for me a contrasting wheel is easily the best way to go.

I like the watch though as others have said the price is rather shocking.

Craftsman
    How robust is the lume on the bezel, in 20 years time will it have fallen off. Will the ceramic case be chipped and marked.

Craftsman
    I'm a sucker for lume. They may as well have gone the whole hog and lumed the chrono dials as well.

It's nice but not £8k nice. Omega are taking the p155 with the price.

Grand Master
    Omega have turned an icon into what appears at first glance to be a bit of cheap tat. Really looks poor IMO.

Paul

Journeyman
    I love Speedy but in this case I think they are ruining a great watch by making it too fussy. Much prefer my FOIS

Banned
    Blog Entries

A classic Speedy! Oh wait!

Craftsman
    I really like it and if had the cash would be severely tempted. The one gripe I have is the date wheel looks a little clashy and reminds me of the Goodplanet GMT with black wheel and blue dial. Would probably be able to live with it though.:D

I prefer it to TDSOTM, like the additional lume too. This one looks a tad too big for the lad or lady wearing it though!

thats very nice

like like like...

what i do not like about speedys is the minimal WR
    it doesn't seem ok to me

Master
    How sad is it that I like the Omega Lume on the crown? Not my cup of tea overall.

Great pics, but they've made me notice the surround on the (recessed?) sub-dials...and I don't like them. Having had a look they're common to the c.9300 Speedmasters.

If I wanted a speedy I'd just get the standard hesalite crystal version? I really don't get all these seemingly endless 'special editions' at vast prices when the original is pretty much the nicest. Lots of tinkering with the design to the point of a lumed crown logo (seriously??!!) - it's called 'jumping the shark' in TV terms.......

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    If I wanted a speedy I'd just get the standard hesalite crystal version? I really don't get all these seemingly endless 'special editions' at vast prices when the original is pretty much the nicest. Lots of tinkering with the design to the point of a lumed crown logo (seriously??!!) - it's called 'jumping the shark' in TV terms.......
    Totally agree.

I feel it dilutes the model range and brand, I'd be much more excited if they put their design/R&D teams to coming up with a completely new watch.

But then I guess it's only the likes of us on here that think like this and the watches aren't really aimed at a tiny market segment of anal watch freaks ...........

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DimGR View Post
    it doesn't seem ok to me
    Only a problem if you intend diving with the watch. 50metres WR is enough for most situations........it's just that 50 is a smaller number than 100 or 150 and that's why folks get hung up about it. No way can 50M be called minimal!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by DimGR View Post
    it doesn't seem ok to me
    At 50 m it should be good for "Rain, Splashes, etc; Car Washing, Shallow Swimming": link to Water Resistance.

Master
    I think it looks great. I would imagine it would be possible to pick them up much cheaper on a year. DSOM can be had much cheaper now.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I rather like that. The crown lume is a strangely pleasing touch.

Craftsman
    Tried one on recently in Glasgow. In a somewhat bizarre inverse reaction - as much as I had liked the DSOTM in the pictures but didn't like it in the flesh, I had disliked the GSOTM in the pictures but actually really liked it in the flesh!

Anyway, a quick pic of both alongside my JLC Polaris for comparison purposes.

The price is another discussion entirely!

Quote Originally Posted by gusmac View Post
    Tried one on recently in Glasgow. In a somewhat bizarre inverse reaction - as much as I had liked the DSOTM in the pictures but didn't like it in the flesh, I had disliked the GSOTM in the pictures but actually really liked it in the flesh!

Anyway, a quick pic of both alongside my JLC Polaris for comparison purposes.

The price is another discussion entirely!

I like both the Grey Side and the Dark Side, but that Polaris wins.

Grand Master
    The lumed crown is at least in line with the brand's general values, so you can't fault them for that ;). 50m rated WR and no screw-down crown - although it does light up in the dark - makes this a good watch for leaving in the locker of one's luxury gym for it to get nicked. Decent subdial spacing, though, one of the upsides of developing your own movement for today's bigger-boned watches.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Blog Entries
    I have to say, I like it - the dial is really lovely in the flesh and I'm a lume fan so find the bezel and crown rather nice. As to the pricing, it seems like a big chunk of cash for what is essentially the latest in the long line of limited edition Speedies (and for those who see this as a nail in Omega's brand-values coffin, bear in mind they've been doing limited edition Speedies for decades now, so they clearly feel it works).

50m WR isn't exactly paltry either: 5 bar is plenty of pressure and I've worn a 50m watch for many snorkelling and swimming holidays (and the occasional shallow dive) without problems.

I like it more in the flesh now the pics have surfaced, but still hate the nomenclature...

Craftsman
    Thats right up my street! Prefer it to the Dark Side version, and love the use of lume. I don't see a problem with Omega releasing different versions of a classic. There will always be watches that appeal to some and not others.

I don't however agree with the rediculous price!

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    As to the pricing, it seems like a big chunk of cash for what is essentially the latest in the long line of limited edition Speedies (and for those who see this as a nail in Omega's brand-values coffin, bear in mind they've been doing limited edition Speedies for decades now, so they clearly feel it works).

It's a different range though....the two subdial, 9300 powered Speedmaster...like a Speedie Mark 2 although they've done that already of course, and it's not a limited edition. I think the price of the basic steel version is around £5500 so another £2.5k for a platinum dial and ceramic case