closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Top Gear Brilliant

Master
    Blog Entries

Top Gear Brilliant

Well after last weeks debacle, tonight's show is what a motoring show should be, some really interesting topics historical today and the future. Well done TG keep it up. Hammonds face was a picture on the Dam scene, God I hope he shit himself

Blog Entries
    Sounds like it redeemed itself? Think I shall watch it on catch up?

Master
    Much better, thankfully.

Craftsman
    Was a good watch in all

A much better show tonight, yes. The Dam scene.......utter madness or bravery beyond belief........you could never have paid me enough money to even contemplate doing that!

Master
    Back on track, good stuff

Loved it today!! The Land rover dam feature has to be my favourite scene from Top Gear, that and the three wheeler into space one.

Craftsman
    Much much better & to think I almost didn't watch it tonight. The last two were dreadful this though was excellent!!

Definitely a lot better this week. And a nod to the crap ambulance sketch last week!

Another cracking show!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great show tonight can't wait to see the live show next week, though the M4 didn't get much airtime.

Master
    Agreed with the consensus last week that the show was poor. Very much enjoyed tonight's episode with the m3 / i8 review and the dam ascent, a much better balance of motoring and humour.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Agreed.

If your reading this top gear we want more actual car stuff please and less vauxhall cavalier based snowmobiles or whatever crap they build next.

If I recall the last two previous weeks have had no road tests at all.

I've enjoyed all of them though last week did get a bit OTT. Can't belive Hammond did that though this week. Nutter!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Tonight's show was a complete and shocking betrayal of the buffoonery that is the show's trademark. True fans were horrified (and bored) by the almost total focus on motor cars. What a disgrace!

Master
    Definitely a better episode, normal nonsense will be resumed next week no doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    I've enjoyed all of them though last week did get a bit OTT. Can't belive Hammond did that though this week. Nutter!
    That actually struck me as surprisingly dangerous for the beeb... I am surprised Welsh Water or Seven Trent or whoever let them.do it! Looked good though ;)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    A much better show tonight, yes. The Dam scene.......utter madness or bravery beyond belief........you could never have paid me enough money to even contemplate doing that!
    I was crapping myself just watching that!!! Hammond must have been squeeling!!! Fair play to him don't think I'd have done that.

The faith he must have had in the chassis holding the body to the car & sure the wire probably had 10x more strength than needed but that 'C' clip didn't look too large did it?! and then you know you'd be thinking about the fixings ect especially when the groans & creaks started getting louder...

Balls of 904L! ;)

Journeyman
    No way would I have climbed into that old Landrover.
    I couldn't see anything, however there must have been something other than that wire rope holding it up.

I bet any creak or groan from the frame or winch must have caused Hammond a bowl movement or two

1st half good, then the usual tedious 'Star' (never heard of the female) and Land Rovers........the most boring car ever made.

5/10 this week!

Pretty good show all round. Will Smith displayed the typical Hollywood star faux over-exuberance that gets on ones nerves, but pretty good. My hometown looked rather splendid :). Disappointing about the real world MPG on the i8 though...

So was that dam sequence for real? I know what I saw, but I just can't quite believe it somehow. At one point they close-upped some kind of shackle on the end of the cable. Red I think it was. Surely no one would do that with a "star" with a single point of failure? Any thoughts?

Good show I reckon will smith was really pissed off

When they do cars, they probably do cars better than anyone else, and it was a relief to see the show return to that format last night. I hope, (but doubt) that the rest of the series is more car focussed.

I see Hammond was wearing his Tissot T-Touch again - almost made me want to buy one, almost. If I did I#d go for the titanium model with titanium bracelet, but its £800 or thereabouts and I cant bring myself to seriously look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    So was that dam sequence for real? I know what I saw, but I just can't quite believe it somehow. At one point they close-upped some kind of shackle on the end of the cable. Red I think it was. Surely no one would do that with a "star" with a single point of failure? Any thoughts?
    It certainly appeared to be real; I couldn't see any way it couldn't be!

A spokesman for Welsh Water said that to ensure the safety of Richard and the integrity of the dam and the water, every stage of the challenge was planned in detail.

Ed Parsons, Dŵr Cymru’s Area Lands Manager said: "We were naturally delighted when we were approached by Top Gear about filming this exciting challenge.

"The dam is spectacular and the scenery of the Estate also offers the perfect backdrop to film a tribute to this special vehicle.

"It was a great for the Estate to be part of the filming and by being involved in the planning we were able to ensure that the filming could be done safely while keeping the Estate open for the enjoyment of visitors.

"I think we were all a little nervous watching Richard scaling the wall in the vehicle but knowing how much work had gone into the planning it was clear he was safe at all times.

"Hopefully though he will come back here one day soon and enjoy a slightly more relaxed day at the Estate."
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...ent-72-8638455

Also enjoyed the episode but I like others here couldn't quite belive how the end of the winch was fastened to the damn, it just looked wrong.

I've been thinking about the stunt... and I reckon they probably stripped out the landy; engine and gear-box / transmission stuff removal would save, what, 500kg? Was the motor in the back a generator? I guess so, which means you could ditch the fuel tank and put in an LPG bottle. Various brake bits and pieces I guess could go. What else..?

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Surely no one would do that with a "star" with a single point of failure? Any thoughts?
    I believe I saw the loops for a climbing harness on Richard (not that I generally check the trouser area of gentlemen) so he will have had some additional safety mechanism(s) in place.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    I believe I saw the loops for a climbing harness on Richard (not that I generally check the trouser area of gentlemen) so he will have had some additional safety mechanism(s) in place.
    I also saw the climbing harness Hammond had on but I think that was if the winched stopped half way up and then to get him out, they could have lowered someone or a rope down to him. The harness would have been no use of if the cable failed or the firing on the dam failed.

The only bit I really enjoyed was the Mercedes and the BMW bits. Who would have thought Clarkson could only manage 33 mpg in the 8i . But how??? - its only a 1.5 FFS.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by afcneal View Post
    and Land Rovers........the most boring car ever made.

5/10 this week!
    Seriously? Can you name me just three other vehicles that have had better milestone achievements?

Just watched it on iplayer.

A much better show show than it has been for a good while. I even didn't mind the celebrity bit, as Wil Smith is genuinely very funny.

The land rover climb was actually pretty gripping too.

And the car reviews were well considered and thought provoking.

More of this please.

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r;
    vauxhall cavalier based snowmobiles

Actually, that sounds pretty good! You should send that idea in.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Seriously? Can you name me just three other vehicles that have had better milestone achievements?
    I'm not criticising their longevity, durability etc......just the lack of 'wow' factor. Tugboats, tractors etc are all very good at their purpose....but not very interesting (to me) either!

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    I also saw the climbing harness Hammond had on but I think that was if the winched stopped half way up and then to get him out, they could have lowered someone or a rope down to him. The harness would have been no use of if the cable failed or the firing on the dam failed.

Yes he did have a harness on and there was a very experienced rope rescue guy rigged up and on a line at the top of the dam ready to drop in immediately if there was an issue.

The belay point on the dam and the attachments for the Landrover were very secure and checked / monitored during the whole stunt.

and yes, Hammond was definitely twitchy during the stunts.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

A much better show show than it has been for a good while. I even didn't mind the celebrity bit, as Wil Smith is genuinely very funny.

More of this please.
    I totally agree. This was loads better than last weeks rubbish program.
    More like this please.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by afcneal View Post
    I'm not criticising their longevity, durability etc......just the lack of 'wow' factor. Tugboats, tractors etc are all very good at their purpose....but not very interesting (to me) either!
    Perhaps I have I biased view of them having learned to drive in a series II SWB, but I loved it's go anywhere ability.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Perhaps I have I biased view of them having learned to drive in a series II SWB, but I loved it's go anywhere ability.
    At up to 30mph on mud and grass there's nothing finer.

At 60mph+ on a windy dual carriageway you'll wish you were in charge of something more stable and comfortable instead - like a tricycle. Or Shire Horse. Or soapbox racer. Or a unicycle on a tightrope while people are throwing bricks at you.

I still think they're great.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    At up to 30mph on mud and grass there's nothing finer.

At 60mph+ on a windy dual carriageway you'll wish you were in charge of something more stable and comfortable instead - like a tricycle. Or Shire Horse. Or soapbox racer. Or a unicycle on a tightrope while people are throwing bricks at you.

I still think they're great.
    60mph+ in the series II that I learned to drive in would be killing it

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

More of this please.
    Agreed, much better than the previous week.

I also enjoyed the show. Hammond looking like he was cacking himself...which made me smile, I'd liked to have seen him lowered down as well!

Banned
    I liked the new M3 smaller engine with a turbo appeals to me, I like the way Clarkson found out about the comfort switch setting, when in sport mode the car is very hard to throw about, sport+ used to switch most things off traction dynamic stability, I am not sure if this one has it but it should have launch control as well.

Off to the dealers.

Master
    Also enjoyed this episode - watched on iPlayer on train on the way home last night.

The 'Defender up the dam' bit scared the **** out of me. :)