closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Will Breitling leave a watch in the condition you specify?

Master

Will Breitling leave a watch in the condition you specify?

I dropped a couple of watches off to be serviced at breitling and am interested about what to expect. the emergency mission i have has some discolouration to the silver subdials and i am wondering if breitling will want to replace the dial even though i specified that im happy for it to remain as is.

the nice lady in the boutique said breitling would be in touch to discuss but i specified either way that im happy to keep it as is. she wouldnt confirm that breitling would just do as i asked and seemed to skirt around the issue.

problem is that i go away for a month in a few days and wont be able to recieve (or send) any emails or phone calls and i am concerned that breitling wont want to just leave the dial and without contact from me, wont do any work at all until i return.

now, lets say breitling want to replace the dial, does anyone have any idea how much the dial for an emergency mission might cost?

Craftsman
    I'm quite sure they'll do whatever you ask, just give detailed instructions and they will follow them.
    I guess that the only parts they substitute without asking are the internal, like the barrel spring e.g.

Banned
    Ring the service department and tell them what you want doing they should supply you with a repair number.

Simples

My Emergency was away for 6 weeks just before Christmas, it was in excellent condition and just needed a battery change and reseal, but it came back looking mint, stripped down and cleaned, they polished?brushed to perfection it's just like new.

Master
    I think that because you sent the watch via the Boutique, they cant discuss too much with you directly - when I once sent a watch in via an AD it was a PITA having to pass messages via the AD as Breitling wouldnt deal with me directly.

Since then I have sent multiple watches directly to BUK, and dealt with the fantastic ladies on the phone directly and had no problems at all. They are tremendously helpful and polite, and you can access them directly.

As above, give them a call and see if they can deal with you directly.

PS my experience is that they aren't snotty like Rolex about their servicing i.e. you MUST have this, that and the other replaced or they WONT service the watch - BUK tend to be pretty pragmatic, so long as they can still warranty it afterwards (i.e,. if you said "leave the seals" I am sure they would decline!)

PPS they strip and inspect the watch first, and give you a list of essential and non-essential work that needs to be done - they dont proceed until they then get your agreement, so it's at this stage you can make any specific requests.
    Last edited by ach5; 23rd February 2015 at 09:47.

Master
    I sent an older model Aerospace to them (Breitling UK service centre in Tunbridge Wells) for a seals & battery change a few years ago - when it came back the lugs had been lightly re-brushed which if I'd been asked about beforehand I'd have declined - I did wonder at the time if there'd been some damage during the service which they were trying to rectify, or if they did that as a matter of course (the watch wasn't in bad shape to begin with). I now have a different model Aerospace which went to them in Dec & I made a point of getting them to note down no refinishing - I was told they would never do that without being asked. When I received it back the bezel had clearly been adjusted and I'm 99% sure the crown was a new one, although why they would need to replace the crown during a battery change I'm not sure, unless again there was some damage done during the work?. Not really a big deal I suppose, but I guess I personally would just like to know if parts have been replaced.

Agree with ach5 though, that they're very pleasant & professional to deal with.

Reminds me, I took a couple of snaps when I went to drop it in.

The building's quite unassuming from the outside with the exception of the Breitling clock near the entrance.

The reception is pretty cool, with a large window directly overlooking the 'lab'. I got a bit embarrased at this point gawking through the window as there were people just on the other side of the glass, so the photo's a bit lame I'm afraid. Lifesize model of the young lady straddling the bomb is pretty funny. Looks like it might have been nicked from Virgin..

Last edited by gcleminson; 23rd February 2015 at 10:37.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    I'm 99% sure the crown was a new one
    There's no way they'd replace the crown without putting it on the invoice and possibly charging you for it too!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    There's no way they'd replace the crown without putting it on the invoice and possibly charging you for it too!
    I didn't pay for the service as they owed me one from a cock-up on a previous job ;-)

You're right - I may be wrong about the crown being replaced, but that was my immediate gut feeling upon getting the watch back. If for example, the stem had got broken while stripping the watch down (devil's advocate - I've no idea if this would ever happen..) then they wouldn't charge me for it I hope.

I had this serviced by them and, as requested, they left the dial and hands etc. unchanged:
    It was NOS so the case didn't need anything doing to it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I had this serviced by them and, as requested, they left the dial and hands etc. unchanged:
    It was NOS so the case didn't need anything doing to it anyway

Oh man, that's nice

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Lifesize model of the young lady straddling the bomb is pretty funny.

I'm just trying to figure out if she has any panties on or not ....??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post

PS my experience is that they aren't snotty like Rolex about their servicing i.e. you MUST have this, that and the other replaced or they WONT service the watch - BUK tend to be pretty pragmatic, so long as they can still warranty it afterwards (i.e,. if you said "leave the seals" I am sure they would decline!)
    this is what i was worried about. i have heard that rolex can be a bit inflexible when it comes to servicing and i was hoping this wouldnt be the case with breitling. i will try and give them a ring tomorrow and see what's what.

Craftsman
    Good pic - I have never thought about what these types of places look like but good to see that!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    this is what i was worried about. i have heard that rolex can be a bit inflexible when it comes to servicing and i was hoping this wouldnt be the case with breitling. i will try and give them a ring tomorrow and see what's what.
    I had my Rolex Submariner serviced this time last year and asked RSC specifically not to refinish the watch head, just the bracelet.

They were happy to oblige and I'm pleased with the result.

That reminds me I should pop my Cosmonaute in - its a shame there's no discount for not have the case polished etc as mine is mint it just needs a movement service.

Ho hum

Cheers

Matt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    That reminds me I should pop my Cosmonaute in - its a shame there's no discount for not have the case polished etc as mine is mint it just needs a movement service.

Ho hum

Cheers

Matt
    Ask for a maintenance service rather than a full service - no case finishing on maintenance. Prices are on the Breitling website. Hope that helps.

Blog Entries
    In my opinion you're paying for something so tell them what you want - it's that simple for me?

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Ask for a maintenance service rather than a full service - no case finishing on maintenance. Prices are on the Breitling website. Hope that helps.
    Thanks for that I am off to have a look!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel76 View Post
    In my opinion you're paying for something so tell them what you want - it's that simple for me?
    Agreed, shouldn't be a problem, just tell them what you want. My experience of Breitling has been nothing but good.