closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The quality of Panerais titanium?

The quality of Panerais titanium?

Cheers,

yes... the bug is active again... :roll: :lol:

Having formed a lust for titanium I would value the opinions of you who have first hand experience on Panerais titanium: how do you find it? - I know the finish is very nice having tried the PAM 240 on a AD a few days ago but for understandable reasons I didnt make any scratch test to the watch while inspecting it :lol:

Have thought about maybe getting a Luminor in ti someday in the future :)

My Pam 116 (titanium base) has sttod up very well to use in the four or five years I've had it. I know that titanium has a reputation as a scratch magnet, but the brushed finish does a great job of hiding the minor marks. Yes, it's picked up a couple of serious knocks and dings, but what watch wouldn't have? (OK, maybe a Damasko!)

Mine looks better than my brother-in-law's steel Panerai, as the polished surface shows many more small scratches. I'll try to take a couple of pics tonight, if you like.

I'm very pleased with the way that my Panerai has aged! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol
    My Pam 116 (titanium base) has sttod up very well to use in the four or five years I've had it. I know that titanium has a reputation as a scratch magnet, but the brushed finish does a great job of hiding the minor marks. Yes, it's picked up a couple of serious knocks and dings, but what watch wouldn't have? (OK, maybe a Damasko!)

Mine looks better than my brother-in-law's steel Panerai, as the polished surface shows many more small scratches. I'll try to take a couple of pics tonight, if you like.

I'm very pleased with the way that my Panerai has aged! :)
    Thatīll be great! :D

Glad to hear it has served you well and that you like it after so many years.

Journeyman
    I love my PAM 025 in titanium. It still looks good after 2 years and light as a feather. I do though want o get a 1000m titanium PAM one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldF
    I love my PAM 025 in titanium. It still looks good after 2 years and light as a feather. I do though want o get a 1000m titanium PAM one of these days.
    You have a PAM 025 with the hobnail dial? :shock:

That is my grail but Iīll be never able to pay for one

Craftsman
    The titanium used on the Panerai watches is softer than the titanium used on the IWC Aquatimer that you have.

The bad thing is that the Panerai watches made of titanium scratches more easily than the IWC. The good thing is that you can buy a titanium scratch remover on E-bay and make the watch look new in an instant with your Panerai: http://cgi.ebay.com/Titanium-Refinishin ... dZViewItem

I had one of these and it works really well.

With the Aquatimer that has some special coating there isn't much to do once it is scratched.

I've owned two titanium Panerais and have been very happy with them.

Titanium Panerai's

Hi Jussi,

The titanium Panerai's are just a nice weight and if they receive a scuff, they are easy to refinish to standard spec.

David

Hi guys,

thanks for your insight. Aye, the IWC might be the ultimate what comes to ti but it must also be true that once scuffed it might be pretty darn difficult to get it back to itīs former glory without sending it to Schaffhausen. So, its good to know that even though it is easier to mark the Panny itīs also easy enough to get it back on how it should look. Though I am not that picky if the scratches "suit" the watch.

The only gripe I have with Panny is two fold and the issues are interrelated: I dont like Richemont Group SA and I feel their core product is way overpriced if you look at what you actually get. - That said I do acknowledge that no one buys a Panny for the core product alone but for the intangible values that come attached. I admit I just love the darn design and I must admit they are *cough* way cool... :roll:

As previously posted - the 'softer' Ti cases are easier to clean up with a scotchbrite or Ti pen - never had a problem with Panerai, Breitling or Omega in this respect.

Hope this helps.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I read that you can remove scratches with a ink erasor and I thought titanium was supposed to "heal" its self because the brightness of the scratch oxidises

http://www.paneristi.com/archives/polishing.html

Still playing around with my camera, so these aren't great, but this is my four year old base.

It's picked up a couple of scuffs on the bezel, and a pin-prick ding on the crown guard, but that's about it. Little scuffs can be removed by using the hard blue ink eraser end of a pencil eraser. The uncovered titanium is a little lighter, but soon oxidises to the slightly darker colour.

If I could do it all again, the only thing I'd do differently would be to take more care with changing the strap. The tip of the screwdriver can easily mark the titanium around the screw holes, and it's there that my Pam looks most abused. It's nothing serious, though, and I've got steel watches with bigger scuffs! :)