closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Holiday Euros how high will it go?

Banned

Holiday Euros how high will it go?

Sitting at a much better rate than it has been for a number of years, but I think it might even reach 1.55 by the end of the summer.

Anyone else care to predict where it might top out?

XE Currency Converter
    ConverterRatesAnalysisInfo
    1.00 GBP = 1.37319 EUR
    British Pound ↔ Euro
    1 GBP = 1.37319 EUR 1 EUR = 0.728233 GBP
    Convert again
    EUR/GBP thumbnailView Chart
    Mid-market rates: 2015-03-03 16:47 UTC

Master
    I think 1.50 is possible, it will be interesting to see how far it goes.

Didn't it start off at about 1.6 and stay there for a while?
    I'd like to see it back there, not just because we all like cheap beer abroad but because I have always been able to quickly convert between mph and kph.

Booking a holiday to Greece (in Sept) this week - think i'll leave it to the last minute until I buy my Euros, might need to buy something else!

Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    Booking a holiday to Greece (in Sept) this week - think i'll leave it to the last minute until I buy my Euros, might need to buy something else!

Come September you might well need magic beans?

It's going to crash! £1 will = €1

Just in case this happens...I'll be able to say "see, told ya!"

Craftsman
    If memory serves me right didn't 1 euro equal 1 dollar when it was launched?

Going skiing in a couple of weeks, might get some tomorrow............

Medium term I expect a retracement in the £. Everyone is short the € right now which means at some point those shorts will need to be covered.

being paid in euros and sending money back to the UK sucks right now...

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watchthisspace View Post
    It's going to crash! £1 will = €1

Just in case this happens...I'll be able to say "see, told ya!"
    Xmas 2008 I spent in Tenerife. It was at parity then..... The local shops and bars asked for ££££££

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    I'm going sailing there in June....still can't decide when to buy Euros.
    Last time I checked £500 was £687, so much better than the last time I went.

Master
    I bought my Euros on Monday. Had my eye on the rates for three or four weeks and the pound has just gone from strength to strength. Typically though, the day I decide I need to buy is the day there is a slight dip. Made no difference really as compared to only a month ago there was still a healthy price of a good meal increase in the rates for me. Berlin here we come (again)!

Master
    I fixed for 12 months last month at 1.25 so I'm praying it doesn't get any better (worse) 😭

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SeePee View Post
    I fixed for 12 months last month at 1.25 so I'm praying it doesn't get any better (worse) 
    you lucky b*stard
    /montypython

Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought a couple of grands worth the other day online and delivered to my door. 1.35 . Going to use some Saturday. I will wait and monitor what happens in the next month or so .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neillp View Post
    If memory serves me right didn't 1 euro equal 1 dollar when it was launched?
    That was the whole set up! But before the euro officially started, there were already exchange rates; often with the euro slightly UNDER the $1. First time they were the same was mid July 2002. Then the euro dropped a little again and went back over $1 at the end of 2002. AFAIK, it never sank under the $1 ever since.

Menno

Master
    I remember 1.67

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    I bought a couple of grands worth the other day online and delivered to my door. 1.35 . Going to use some Saturday.
    Exactly this, off to Austria on Saturday and this sure helps keep the beer flowing in the mountains!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    That was the whole set up! But before the euro officially started, there were already exchange rates; often with the euro slightly UNDER the $1. First time they were the same was mid July 2002. Then the euro dropped a little again and went back over $1 at the end of 2002. AFAIK, it never sank under the $1 ever since.

Menno
    I am guessing it is as close it has been since then, it is about 1.1 at the moment.
    Anyway I got £1000 at 1.35 delivered ready for Valencia this weekend 😃

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Didn't it start off at about 1.6 and stay there for a while?
    I'd like to see it back there, not just because we all like cheap beer abroad but because I have always been able to quickly convert between mph and kph.
    Yes, I remember it being around that level when I went skiing in France in (I think) about 2001. Don't rememeber things being especially cheap though - but that's ski-resorts for you.

I also rememeber it being close to parity when I went to Paris - things were eye-wateringly expensive then, that's for sure!

Craftsman
    I'm on the other side of the coin. Moving from Ireland to the UK in the next couple of months and have a fairly chunky amount of euros to bring with me. I think I will open a euro account and sit on them for a while to see if things improve.

indeed it was about 1.6 when it started in 2002 - I remember changing 1000 squid and going to france to buy a barn find citroen DS for 1000euros having plenty left over - happy days

When we were part of the ERM, the pound was fixed at €1.95. That was way back in the nineties though.

I'm doing a gig in Germany with my band on Saturday. I insisted in the contract that we get paid in pounds not euros, a fixed fee. I am so pissed off I made that choice now!
    Last edited by MerlinShepherd; 5th March 2015 at 16:47.

Master
    [QUOTE=tiny73;3441756]Medium term I expect a retracement in the £. Everyone is short the € right now which means at some point those shorts will need to be covered.QUOTE]

At some stage there will be a bounce. I bought my summer holiday money at the beginning of this month. I'm happy with the rate I received.

Craftsman
    We are going to Berlin for a week's holiday in June, we've booked the Radisson Blu in Mitte area for the 7 nights including breakfast. The cost is €938 for business class room but I am hoping the euro rate keeps on going up, as the trip will get cheaper. Also I have £70 cashback as I booked through Topcashback.

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinShepherd View Post
    I'm doing a gig in Germany with my band on Saturday. I insisted in the contract that we get paid in pounds not euros, a fixed fee. I am so pissed off I made that choice now!
    Why ? If you charged say 100 pounds for the gig when you quoted it that may have been 125 euro, now is 138 euro if you had quoted in euro you would still get your 125 euro.

Craftsman
    I've been looking myself for Euros and the rate right now is top notch, found this article if it's any good for you?

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/eu...inst-euro-3434

Craftsman
    ECB is on easing course (QE), and currency, while eased, have to be cheaper. that is book rule
    It should last 2-3 years

Master
    Off to Dublin on the weekend, getting charged 8 euro for a pint wont sting quite as much now

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Why ? If you charged say 100 pounds for the gig when you quoted it that may have been 125 euro, now is 138 euro if you had quoted in euro you would still get your 125 euro.

I'm sorry, my irony didn't translate on the internet. I guess a smiley or an emoticon of some sort would have made it clear!

Quote Originally Posted by dl_griff View Post
    Off to Dublin on the weekend, getting charged 8 euro for a pint wont sting quite as much now
    You are clearly drinking in the wrong sort of establishment.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    You are clearly drinking in the wrong sort of establishment.
    yes I know, the downside of going on a rugby trip (although a reverse rugby trip this time) means we always have to go to the tourist traps for the people who haven't been before, thankfully there will be a few more local type establishments along the way

Craftsman
    I've lived in Dublin for 14 years and I dont think I've ever paid that for a pint!

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinShepherd View Post
    I'm sorry, my irony didn't translate on the internet. I guess a smiley or an emoticon of some sort would have made it clear!
    Reading it back I can see what you are saying and you had obviously realised what was happening. It is actually a little counterintuitive as a rising euro rate means a weakening euro hence I wanted to ensure you were aware that you were on the right side of the deal.

Don't do what I did and think that getting them direct at the airport would not make any difference.Just checked and the conversion was made at 1.1893 so for £302.70 I got 360 euros.