closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Apple smart watch and its influence on design?

Apple smart watch and its influence on design?

Forget the debate on whether smart-watches make sense or if you want one or think they are crap for a minute - this thread isn't actually about smart-watches as such or even apple.

Reading this article, the following things pop out at me:

The strap options alone are dazzling: there are ribbons of metal mesh that loop through each other to be held in place by magnets; there are others that click into place both mechanically and magnetically; there are straps of quilted leather; straps of fluoroelastomer; metal bracelets with easily removable links; bracelets that can be swapped in and out.
    We already know that the straps have easy swap (easy to fall off?) without tools built-in

Ive explains how the molecules in Apple gold are closer together*, making it twice as hard as standard gold. And, in case you were wondering, Apple’s cold-forged steel is 40 per cent more durable than regular steel.
    * That will surely be a reference to an alloy but let's just accept for the sake of argument it is more durable.

Thus, the box of the top-of-the‑range watch is aniline-dyed leather on the outside and a “sort of ultra- suede on the inside” – so far, so conventional, but there is a connector at the back that turns it into a charging dock when the watch snaps into place thanks to magnetic technology. “I like the idea that it’s all part of one experience, it’s all part of how we feel about something, and that each of these elements can play a positive and interesting role.”

Nothing escapes this forensic level of thinking. Nothing is left to chance. Nothing goes uncalculated and untested. Before I leave, Ive holds up the watch’s white outer box. Almost imperceptibly, the bottom begins to move, obeying the law of gravity that pulls it away from its other half. It is graceful, calming… and far from accidental. “We work out what we feel is the optimum time for it to drop and then we back off that and work on the tolerances, and even work on the friction of the materials we use.
    So leaving aside the smart-watch aspect - do you think the design, packeting and material aspects of the Apple watch will lead to some interesting responses from makers of traditional watches?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    So leaving aside the smart-watch aspect - do you think the design, packeting and material aspects of the Apple watch will lead to some interesting responses from makers of traditional watches?
    I honestly don't know.

But Apple's marketing bullsh1t is remarkably similar to some of the stuff that comes out of some watch companies!

It may play to their advantage. Could be an opportunity to imply or even openly state the shelf life of each one Apple et al produce, versus the longevity, "sophistication" and desirability that the likes of Rolex have maintained.

Has a Mont Blanc become less desirable or crashed in price in response to the advent of a laptop or tablet?

They will sell, and will be praised, scorned, copied and flipped. But they'll never feel that special.

Master
    I used to be a huge apple fan, however ever since the iPod, iphone iPad they have steadily got more and more popular and to be blunt the product standard has dropped. Its all marketing bull, the products are not a good as they used be and since Steve passed away they have got much worse. Smart watches, I bought about 6 recently to try and ended up selling all of them as I still like a watch that will not be replaced every year. I am wearing some vintage pieces with good memories attache to them and they function as good as they day they came out of the factory.

I now actively use other OS's something which 8 years ago I would have sworn that I never would.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I honestly don't know.

But Apple's marketing bullsh1t is remarkably similar to some of the stuff that comes out of some watch companies!
    Agreed. Especially, it seems, it's emphasis on making its own "special" alloys.

All they need now are a few tacky-sounding names for their metallurgical creations to really trawl in the mugs.

I suggest "Applesium" and "Applesor"...

Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    I used to be a huge apple fan, however ever since the iPod, iphone iPad they have steadily got more and more popular and to be blunt the product standard has dropped. Its all marketing bull, the products are not a good as they used be and since Steve passed away they have got much worse. Smart watches, I bought about 6 recently to try and ended up selling all of them as I still like a watch that will not be replaced every year. I am wearing some vintage pieces with good memories attache to them and they function as good as they day they came out of the factory.

I now actively use other OS's something which 8 years ago I would have sworn that I never would.

Simon
    This. Apple have lost focus since steve jobs passed away. Their devices simply don't "just work" like they used to.

Case in point was that i got my mum an iPhone 6 recently. She wanted to do a transfer of settings etc from her old iphone to her new phone, music, photos, texts et all.

This took a week with multiple trips to O2 and the apple store. And she still couldn't get her music across. And it seemed to involve the icloud more than it needed to.

When i transfered from my old htc one to the M8, i started the phone, selected yes to "transfer settings and data" quickly downloaded an app to the old phone, which set up a wifi connection to the M8. It was a quick case of hitting select all for transfer and off it went. Transfered everything.. my new phone was essentially a clone of my old phone.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple's marketing ordure, and in no way a critique of the OP's commentary
    The strap options alone are dazzling: there are ribbons of metal mesh that loop through each other to be held in place by magnets
    Wow, just like a mesh bracelet! Except it'll come undone easily and be easy to mug off someone.
    Thus, the box of the top-of-the‑range watch is aniline-dyed leather on the outside
    Aniline... that's the cheapest possible porous-type dye that offers no wear protection? No problem just checking.
    Almost imperceptibly, the bottom begins to move, obeying the law of gravity that pulls it away from its other half.
    Oh my God - I've never seen a box do that, apart from all the other boxes I have that do that!

Perhaps the E-Z-change magnetic system will be adopted but to me it just sounds like an easy way to lose the watch. But hey, you'll just stroll in and buy another right? Especially if it's upgrade time!
    Last edited by andrew; 6th March 2015 at 21:06.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I think that when it launches there will to a degree be a bit of a swatch explosion in other brands, where wacky ideas and colours start to become involved in their products.

The other smart watch makers will look to apple and a bit like the war they have with Samsung at present, the designs will directly affect each other.

Whatever you think about Apple, they tend to make things that feel special in a way that people value and are prepared to pay for. I read a mind-boggling statistic the other day: despite Apple having only 18% of the smartphone market in terms of handsets shipped, they account for an 87% share of the volume of profits. You don't achieve that without a premium product, and materials are a big part of that.

I don't want a smart watch any more than I want a driverless car, but if Apple and their competitors can make higher quality and new materials more common and accessible it might make for some interesting developments in the boutique brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloobird View Post
    Whatever you think about Apple, they tend to make things that feel special in a way that people value and are prepared to pay for. I read a mind-boggling statistic the other day: despite Apple having only 18% of the smartphone market in terms of handsets shipped, they account for an 87% share of the volume of profits. You don't achieve that without a premium product, and materials are a big part of that.

I don't want a smart watch any more than I want a driverless car, but if Apple and their competitors can make higher quality and new materials more common and accessible it might make for some interesting developments in the boutique brands.
    The rest of that profit is to samsung and a couple of chinese OEMs - nobody else makes money in mobile.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Big Apple fan, however do people really want to upgrade their watch every year or two to get the latest and greatest software functions????

Its bad enough doing this with the phones, iPads, laptops - watch as well? No thanks - I don't think they even look good which surprised me for Apple and Ive design wise!
    Last edited by kultschar; 6th March 2015 at 23:16.

whoops wrong quote used.... deleted
    Last edited by lordloz; 7th March 2015 at 00:06.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Wow, just like a mesh bracelet! Except it'll come undone easily and be easy to mug off someone.

Aniline... that's the cheapest possible porous-type dye that offers no wear protection? No problem just checking.

Oh my God - I've never seen a box do that, apart from all the other boxes I have that do that!

Perhaps the E-Z-change magnetic system will be adopted but to me it just sounds like an easy way to lose the watch. But hey, you'll just stroll in and buy another right? Especially if it's upgrade time!
    I particularly love the fact (at the risk of offending appleites) that it's all the customer's fault not theirs that the battery life is because they use it too much!!!

So you'll only be able to check the apple watch time every so often in case it runs down too much

Baldrick was this your cunning plan??
    Last edited by lordloz; 7th March 2015 at 00:11.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    do people really want to upgrade their watch every year or two
    This is probably the wrong place to be asking that hehe. "Normal" people probably don't. Apple nutters probably do. People on here, well, that's a different matter all together :D

Getting back to the original question of materials and design

http://gizmodo.com/how-apple-will-ma...ium=socialflow

Journeyman
    What Apple is doing with their "Apple Gold" sounds a lot like what Hublot did with their "Magic Gold" from 2011 which they described as the worlds only scratch resistant gold and still certified as 18k. Quite an interesting concept and colour.

They don't even look nice and don't get me started on the price...
    And this is from a guy who has lots of Apple products in the home...

The price points selected by apple are high in keeping with their other products. But I think that life span of the apple watch is too short in terms of the technology, IOS and battery. The price point of the edition series places it on terms with some of the finest made watches which the Awatch is not.

I am sure we will now see a raft of modular and colourful watch systems from manufacturers if the Awatch takes off.

It's a shame that apple market this device as a watch imo...

it's wearable tech, that can tell the time.

perhaps the iPhone should be marketed as the apple pocket watch, the ipad as the apple mantelpiece clock?

kinda back on track to the OP, and....

.... Apple's product refresh rate (yearlyish) makes the materials and features largely redundant, except for the percise month it's released.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Agreed. Especially, it seems, it's emphasis on making its own "special" alloys.

All they need now are a few tacky-sounding names for their metallurgical creations to really trawl in the mugs.

I suggest "Applesium" and "Applesor"...
    They ARE made of a super-special, secret formulation alloy of ultra-rare earth metals that are mined at never before reached depths close to the eath's core. It is known as Tellium. That's a FACT. Apple have let industry insiders know about but they are sworn to secrecy. Or so my mate who works in the IT industry tells me.

one word: No.

I would bet money on the Apple watch failing when compared to other traditional brands. It´s a technology Gadget and regular customers will not consider it been in the same market.
    That might be different if Apple gets to implmenet an Autoquarz charging rotor or some major advances in the second edition but for now I do not expect any influence.

I'm vaguely surprised there hasn't been one on SC already, even if they're not on sale yet.

what do you mean with that? you mean fake ones?