Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Pelagos with an in-house movement

New Pelagos with an in-house movement

And a new colour. In case this has not already been posted,

http://monochrome-watches.com/introd...ouse-movement/

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    And a new colour. In case this has not already been posted,

http://monochrome-watches.com/introd...ouse-movement/
    Bevelled case edges too! Nice to see them back.

Quote Originally Posted by dom_ View Post
    Bevelled case edges too! Nice to see them back.
    Same as the edges on the previous Pelagos aren't they Dom?

1. Pelagos, the best equipped and best value for money watch on the market (in my mind). Just keeps getting better (with in-house mvmnt)...
    2. Hope it retains its price point...

Ok the five lines of text (six with Geneve) could be deemed excessive, but with an in-house movement, titanium case and crisp design, the Pelagos really seems the tool watch successor to the Subs of old rather than the new dress diver Subs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    Yup, it's same as the original case.

Just received my old gen Pelagos this week,must say im not a fan of the New dial printing.

Quote Originally Posted by Timetotalk View Post
    Just received my old gen Pelagos this week,must say im not a fan of the New dial printing.
    That's lucky!

Master
    Love the blue and I house movement move. There appears to be way too much text causing the dial to look unbalanced. Will reserve judgment until I see it in the metal.

I really really like the blue one, but the pricing will make me wait for second hand I think.
    Oh well, I'm in no rush...

The amount of text on the face spoils it for me. Much prefer the look of the original.

Journeyman
    Will be purchasing in blue. Nearly pulled the trigger last year but the black was too close to my sub. But this looks ace, plus the in-house movement makes this a no-brainier for me.

Master
    I'm undecided. The blue appears the same shade as the white gold subs which I've never liked and the text is a bit marmite. However I did find the original dial too plain to a point, so maybe the text will be better in the end. Looking forward to seeing it in the metal.

I tried one on a few months ago too! Where did I put my glasses?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I'm undecided. The blue appears the same shade as the white gold subs which I've never liked and the text is a bit marmite. However I did find the original dial too plain to a point, so maybe the text will be better in the end. Looking forward to seeing it in the metal.
    Personally I think Tudor have lost the plot with this. They have forgotten their market positioning. If the whole Tudor range heads upmarket into Rolex territory then what's the point?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich11 View Post
    The amount of text on the face spoils it for me. Much prefer the look of the original.
    Agreed, but then I've a few lines on my Sea-Dweller and that doesn't bother me. So I'll have to reserve judgement until I see one for real.

Very pleased to see that despite the in-house movement in this and the North Flag the prices seem very keen. Only a $275 premium for the Pelagos with the in-house movement.

Ant

Been waiting for a blue version since it was originally released but a couple of things make me a little unsure.

Firstly, it looks a bit too blue in the photos I have seen. I was hoping for it to be a little closer to the Blue Black bay to be honest but will need to see it in the flesh.

Secondly, how much text on that dial. Is it really necessary? So what if is certified, they could of put that on the back or just not used the rotor self winding text as it has now moved on from its heritage beginnings!

I really like it, definitely on the want list!!!

Master
    Not a shade of blue I like. And I do generally love blue, and blue dialled watches.

I see there are also some Tudor chronographs to be released. Design looks great, shame about the dial colours, red, yellow and olive green?!

http://www.tudorwatch.com/en/fastrider-chrono/
    Last edited by mindforge; 18th March 2015 at 21:35.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post
    Personally I think Tudor have lost the plot with this. They have forgotten their market positioning. If the whole Tudor range heads upmarket into Rolex territory then what's the point?
    I have to disagree, at this point in time. As it stands, the in-house model will "only" cost £2840 equivalent. That's £70 more than the ETA version if the price translates like that at UK release.

We all know how robust the Rolex movements are, so if this continues in the Tudor movements, it's just a watch that's even better VFM. I have a watch with an 8 day power reserve and I love that. 70 hours vs the ETA 48 hours isn't too much of a big thing to me therefore, so I think it'll only really create a difference in used prices.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I see there are also some Tudor chronographs to be released. Design looks great, shame about the dial colours, red, yellow and olive green?!
    They just needed a white model and it'd have been a Panda, and an instant success. Perhaps Rolex are keeping this for a future Daytona??

Why have they printed a poem on the dial? They've ruined this IMO

Master
    I have to disagree, at this point in time. As it stands, the in-house model will "only" cost £2840 equivalent. That's £70 more than the ETA version if the price translates like that at UK release.

We all know how robust the Rolex movements are, so if this continues in the Tudor movements, it's just a watch that's even better VFM. I have a watch with an 8 day power reserve and I love that. 70 hours vs the ETA 48 hours isn't too much of a big thing to me therefore, so I think it'll only really create a difference in used prices.
    Still a lot for a Tudor and not that long since Rolexes were at these prices.

Master
    I just noticed the difference in the date window and "3" marker...

Really have to see this shade of blue myself.

Craftsman
    Very appealing.

Master
    Yep.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    in house movement, perfect set date window, comes in black, same price point,

yes please, I will be phoning Chisolm Hunter for a reserve on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Why have they printed a poem on the dial? They've ruined this IMO
    Given the parent company, we should be thankful its not a passage from the bible...

...seriously though, it makes sense to create associations with the more desirable horse in the stable - make it create the correct associations in the minds of the consumer - ie make it rolex-esque.

The forums are full of references to the Tudor/rolex connection. Its logical to use this to great advantage outside of the enthusiast market - to increase the popularity and nip at the heels of the opposition without making the flagship brand appear to be in any way concerned by what it wants to portray as its lessers.

Is there any other watch maker at this price point with their own in-house movement (aside from Nomos)?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Possibly to head upmarket into the likes of Omega territory rather than rolex territory?

I don't think that rolex - the masters of watch marketing are likely to have "lost the plot" in any way shape or form.

If they can create a brand that rivals (even vaguely), or creates a desirable alternative to, the likes of Omega - yet still plays second fiddle to the crown logo - then theyre on to a winner.
    Agreed. Even with omega's ambitious move upwards in the tech dept., they are still savvy enough to price a reasonably 'like-for-like' watch (I have Rolex DJ and Omega AT) in mind here, a good deal lower because I think they realise they would probably lose that battle, rightly or wrongly.

I think Rolex have played a bit of a flanker here and are aiming future Tudor models right at Omega at a very tempting price point. Expect the in-house BB next year I guess.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    I think Rolex have played a bit of a flanker here and are aiming future Tudor models right at Omega at a very tempting price point. Expect the in-house BB next year I guess.

Hmm that is an interesting point.

Well I really like it!

The 70 hr reserve is also outstanding IMO, I don't really understand why other movements can't hold reserve for this long... Maybe it's thickness or size? Am sure someone will know!

I would like to see it in the flesh before committing though , blue can look different in photos than flesh

I assume it isn't a sunray/ burst dial? Just flat?

Impressive - I didn't know Tudor had discovered the secret of perpetual motion with a new self winding rotor - oh hang on...

Black for me. It's a cracker. The blue sucks.
    Gray

Master
    I just noticed the difference in the date window and "3" marker...
    Great spot. The new movement is bigger/wider then, makes sense given the larger power reserve I guess. It's a small detail, but with the extra text on the dial I think the current model wins in the looks department.

I also agree with the comments on the shade of blue - it's very Smurf WG blue. I love blue but it's a bit too much for even me.

Love it! Can't wait to see one in the metal!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post
    Yup, it's same as the original case.
    That's a shame. Every time is see the recent Tudors the the lack of imagination in the casework sets them apart and not in a good way.

As I understand, the price is not meaningfully different, and also the black version will receive the updated movement.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaysagood View Post
    The 70 hr reserve is also outstanding IMO, I don't really understand why other movements can't hold reserve for this long... Maybe it's thickness or size? Am sure someone will know!
    I too would love to know why other movements can't have a 70 hour power reserve. I agree with Jaysagood; a 70 hour reserve is a real sellng point.

I'd like to see a bit more information - that is, a proper critique - of the movement. A direct and detailed comparison with it's ETA predecessor would be useful, in fact. It looks quite utilitarian, bearing in mind it can now be seen through the display back.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I'd like to see a bit more information - that is, a proper critique - of the movement. A direct and detailed comparison with it's ETA predecessor would be useful, in fact. It looks quite utilitarian, bearing in mind it can now be seen through the display back.
    Solid back on these...

Have to say though, I REALLY like the back. Looks like it will sit really well. I think the North Flag has a display back.

My mistake - must be the North Flag with the display back.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    My mistake - must be the North Flag with the display back.
    The North Flag has a display back, on a watch like the Pelagos, a very thick crystal would be needed to comply with the water resistance.

That kind of crystal is expensive and would affect the thickness of the watch.

If you look carefully to divers on the market these days you'll find that the PO is one of the few (can't think of any other at the moment) with 600m WR and display back.

I love my Pelagos, and when I got it in Jan 2013 I was sure the only thing that would push it out of the door would be a blue one. I said so when it arrived.
    But I am not sure this one will.

In theory the new movement is great.

Same beat rate and hacking quick-set features, in-house, 70-hr power reserve and COSC?? What is not to like? Great

But.

The dial script is silly now. Pelagos is unnecessary. Officially certified is not needed. There we go, a much more acceptable 3 lines.

The missing index at 3 is not a good idea, I liked it as it was, and now the last vestige of symmetry has gone.

But the big thing is

The Blue looks just plain WRONG. It is too pale, and too royal.
    No old Tudor Sub blue dial ever looked like that, even brand new, in the 60s, 70s, 80s or 90s. Even the service replacements and the 79190 were more Navy in their blue. this certainly looks (in every picture I have seen, not just one set) quite a loud blue, not a quietly restrained one. Like they wanted to copy the colour of the Rolex WG sub, not the Tudors of old.

I will, without doubt, go and ogle one, and I will want to be persuaded to buy one, as I already own a blue Snowflake and a blue Lollipop (and also an early 70s Blue Tudor Jumbo).
    But I strongly suspect I shall stick with what I have.

Dave

Would like to see this next to black bay blue, had that kind of blue in mind for a blue Pelagos but it seems to be a lot darker on the black bay blue

There were two Tweets from a well-known Rolex expert on the night of the launch which said that the movement was not made by Rolex, and that Tudor use a number of sub-contractors to manufacture parts, including some parts themselves, and are assembled in Geneva. I've not seen this repeated elsewhere.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    There were two Tweets from a well-known Rolex expert on the night of the launch which said that the movement was not made by Rolex, and that Tudor use a number of sub-contractors to manufacture parts, including some parts themselves, and are assembled in Geneva. I've not seen this repeated elsewhere.
    Maybe they use facilities in Asia, to keep the cost down.

I wouldn't mind, as long as QC is good.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    Agreed. Even with omega's ambitious move upwards in the tech dept., they are still savvy enough to price a reasonably 'like-for-like' watch (I have Rolex DJ and Omega AT) in mind here, a good deal lower because I think they realise they would probably lose that battle, rightly or wrongly.

I think to be honest this is aimed more at Tag and Breitling. I think Omega have successfully elevated brand perception in some key markets like Asia to be near enough on par with Rolex (and why not, their modern watches are outstanding) and I'm sure Europe will fall in line sooner or later. So I don't think people buy an Omega any more because there is a material price difference with the Rolex equivalent as there isn't one any more and Omega have demonstrated that their models are at least on par with their Rolex counterparts. But for the chap who is about to go out and splash out £2.5k- £4k on a Tag or a Breitling then Tudor have a compelling proposition indeed. We will see.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    The aspect of contracted manufacturing was mentioned a couple of month's back – #19
    Last edited by PJ S; 19th March 2015 at 12:36.