closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Pelagos with an in-house movement

What are we going to call them then? 2 liner vs 5 liner? Gen 1 vs Gen 2, Old one vs New one, In-house vs Out-house?

Quite happy with my new-to-me 2014 2 liner(!) as I got a 2014 for sentimental reasons (son's birth year)

If this had come out last year though I'm not convinced I would have gone for it anyway; In-house movement sounds great but obviously has the servicing restriction then, not too keen on the extra dial text especially the model name being on there but will reserve judgement until I see one in the flesh. I also thought the partial hour marker at 3 was very clever so shame that has gone too...

Master
    Apart from now using an in house movement, design wise this looks like a step back to me. I am not keen on the blue, the lines of writing on the face or the removal of the white mark next to the date on the old one. If I were buying one I would want one of the original release Pelagos with the ETA movement and cleaner looking face.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I think to be honest this is aimed more at Tag and Breitling. I think Omega have successfully elevated brand perception in some key markets like Asia to be near enough on par with Rolex (and why not, their modern watches are outstanding) and I'm sure Europe will fall in line sooner or later. So I don't think people buy an Omega any more because there is a material price difference with the Rolex equivalent as there isn't one any more and Omega have demonstrated that their models are at least on par with their Rolex counterparts. But for the chap who is about to go out and splash out £2.5k- £4k on a Tag or a Breitling then Tudor have a compelling proposition indeed. We will see.
    Ryan, good point, think your theory may hold more water than mine especially if the reported modest price hike of the in-house Tudors is anything to go buy.

As per one of the other posts, the low price rise does make you wonder how the new movement is built and sourced.

Craftsman
    Really like the look of this ,Cosc, in-house movement and 70 hours power reserve.The fact that the price increase will be small make it a great purchase.The blue looks good in pictures only concern is all the text on the dial ,but I would have to see it in the flesh before judging it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by midgetda View Post
    Apart from now using an in house movement, design wise this looks like a step back to me. I am not keen on the blue, the lines of writing on the face or the removal of the white mark next to the date on the old one. If I were buying one I would want one of the original release Pelagos with the ETA movement and cleaner looking face.
    This, prefer the clean lines of the original without chapter & verse on the face. Shame they feel the need to mark the arrival of the inhouse movement with all of the extra script. not entirely sure on the blue either, but the same could be said for every coloured face as we each have our preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    The aspect of contracted manufacturing was mentioned a couple of month's back – #19
    I may have misread your post, but were you really discussing Tudor's new manufacture (in-house) calibre?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    I may have misread your post, but were you really discussing Tudor's new manufacture (in-house) calibre?
    No, of course not, since it didn't exist (to all intents and purposes) at that stage.

No, of course not, since it didn't exist (to all intents and purposes) at that stage.
    So your response to my comment querying Tudor's in-house manufacture capability was irrelevant? Or have I misunderstood that too?

I thought that manufacture meant manufacture. Not assemblage. But I'm probably wrong. I usually am.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeves1275 View Post
    What are we going to call them then?
    Essay dial vs. non-essay dial... I'm currently preferring the essay model if I'm honest though :-)

I like it a lot. I'll need to see one but I recon I'll get one. Love Ti and I have too many black dials....

At least they didn't put 'Superlative' on the dial, that would have added at least £200 per letter to the price.

I would buy one but I have to say I hope the 'essay' dial is one of those false leads and that it doesn't make it to production.
    Gray

Banned
    The blue version looks great, but even though the clasp is a technical marvel there was something about it that dug in to my wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    Ryan, good point, think your theory may hold more water than mine especially if the reported modest price hike of the in-house Tudors is anything to go buy.

As per one of the other posts, the low price rise does make you wonder how the new movement is built and sourced.
    It is possible ETA pricing has got very high making it possible to now put together a rival movement for similar cost or more likely Tudor were testing the water with the watches and their price points and either hadn't finished or used the ETA movement for some reassurance.

Can't be good for residuals on the ETA Tudors I imagine.

Would need to see it in the metal I guess to see true colour and dial balance with all that writing. From the pics the blue looks too bright for my tastes. I prefer the darker blue of my Black Bay. In house movement is interesting, providing prices don't get silly. Overall I continue to like the direction Tudor are going.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Only time will tell but the ETA Pelagos will always be the "first" Pelagos. Perhaps even more scarce over time.

Craftsman
    I like it I prefer the bright blue dial it looks nice and crisp.

I wonder if they deliberately introduced some design detail differences to further separate the two versions?

Interesting point.

It may be a little too early to say that.
    If the new movement is not great it will have an effect.
    If it is fantastic, that may too.
    I personally prefer the ETA dial, that may have an effect.
    I can easily imagine that in 10 years time, if they are still making a Pelagos, the ETA may be considered a collectible rarity.
    I can also completely imagine that anyone can service the ETA version, but you may be restricted to a Tudor service for the inhouse movement. That may cost a lot more...............

So the ETA residuals may drop, you're right. If the movement delivers they certainly will for a short while at least. They may also rise.

As I say, too early to tell, I think.

D

Apprentice
    FT on the MT5621 - "Robust, accurate and relatively economical to make". Sounds good to me. Just what I want in a tool watch. Nothing wrong with the ETA 2824 either, but 70hrs is definitely a nice feature.

Not so keen on the all the extra writing on the dial. The understated look of the Pelagos is what drew me to it, and IMHO it undermines the understated flat matt look of the black dial. Still at least they didn't stick Tudor on the chapter ring...

True. It is a minimalistic design. No need for COSC and a name.

Journeyman
    I love my Pelagos (ETA) - by far the most comfortable watch I've ever owned. I outed a Rolex GMT at the same time I bought this and don't miss it one bit!

I'll definitely be getting one of the blue dial one's. Will be interesting to see if the new in-house movement affects the residuals of the original ETA's but, for me personally, it's irrelevant because mine is 100% a keeper.

Master
    Personally I prefer the old one, the date marker, less fussy dial write up and defiantly in black. That blue just looks wrong, too light. Perhaps it'll look better in the light of day.

However I'll still not be buying one, as much as I wanted this watch I tried one on a while back and it's way too big. I'm starting to edge towards <40mm these days, must be my age

Regarding residuals, I know it's a bit different, but the Zenith movement Daytonas aren't exactly cheap/unpopular.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    Only time will tell but the ETA Pelagos will always be the "first" Pelagos. Perhaps even more scarce over time.
    I too, think this may be the case.

Imagine at Basel 2016 when the Black Bay is introduced with the manufacture movement (which I would assume with relative certainty), that will mean a 2 year life span for the blue version with ETA; surely that can only add to the rarity value ? It also ties in with Tudor's from the 80's through to the 00's which featured ETA movements, surely some of the 'Heritage' is retained in the current versions ?

Craftsman
    For the layman like me, how do they get the 70 hour power reserve with a frequency of 4 Hz.

The omega 8500 has 60 hours power reserve with a frequency of 3.5 Hz and has two barrels.

Is a longer power reserve something that was not possible 20 years ago or is it just another marketing angle?

Master
    Spring length, which is related to barrel size, and material – Seiko achieved longer running times with the invention of their proprietary SPRON material.
    The Tudor movement has a thin barrel wall, so allowing more spring material to fit in.
    Coupled with improving gear train efficiency through better lubes and less interfaces (lower wheel count), results in longer run times.

Master
    No, large power reserves have been around for a while. Only need to look back to the Angelus 8 day movements to see that. But the size of the barrel is prohibitively larger the more power reserve you want. So movements with double mainsprings will have better power reserve but those mainsprings take up more space. The Omega 8500 has two barrels for power reserve but beats slightly slower as you said.

Advances in movement design and technology, ie more efficient gear train & escapement design, new materials for the springs themselves, better lubricant fluid etc, all contribute to larger power reserves.

A 4HZ frequency is just 8 beats per second, same as most modern movements.

I have been in to Tudor's since the early 70's and I am more than surprised that they are now going down the in-house movement path after all these years. I am sure it will affect retail prices but I suppose it was just a matter of time before Tudor went this route.

I like the Pelagos and the new variant. I prefer the busier dial but my preference is for a nice brushed steel model. Now, that I would buy.

I really want to like the Blue, but somehow can't. It looks too bright. As for the essay on the dial, in photo's the original looks better, but we should take it in the context that the lettering will be somewhat less than 1mm high. I son't think it will jump out at you in the flesh. It may just add a little interest to the dial.

Master
    I'm not really sure what the power reserve is on my watch. The fact that it doesn't stop when I wear it suggests that it is sufficient though. So, a power reserve of 48/60/70 hours or whatever wouldn't influence my choice when buying a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    I'm not really sure what the power reserve is on my watch. The fact that it doesn't stop when I wear it suggests that it is sufficient though. So, a power reserve of 48/60/70 hours or whatever wouldn't influence my choice when buying a watch.
    A power reserve of 40-odd hours lets you wear the watch on alternate days without having to reset it. A 60-hour would let you take the watch off for the weekend and put it back on on Monday morning, or rotate three watches. For four watches, you'd need about 80 hours, but that's uncommon.

Master
    I like the current Pelagos, but the blue dial's intriguing. It's possibly going to be marmite in the metal but the pics look great on the bracelet.
    Last edited by Tahiti; 21st March 2015 at 12:55.

Blog Entries
    I think it looks ace, but, you can't determine the shade of blue from a pic, you'd need to see it in the flesh... As for the in house movement, presumably that just puts a few quid on to the RRP, I like watches for the aesthetic, as long as the movement does what a movement is supposed to do, then I'm just fine with that...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I can also completely imagine that anyone can service the ETA version, but you may be restricted to a Tudor service for the inhouse movement. That may cost a lot more...............

D
    I'm not so sure about this. With ETA restricting the sale of their movements and keeping them within the Swatch group, by the time this Pelagos needs servicing, ETA movement parts may be all but impossible to source by an independent servicer.

Craftsman
    Is this going to be thicker or thinner than the ETA version? I can't seem to find the info on the tudor website, but I may have missed it.

Master
    No change - Tudor would've been designing the movement to be a simple drop-in replacement, so no extra expense was needed on modifying the case either externally or internally.

Master
    Date position is different however

Looks to be great value, and for me a great summer watch.

Saw it yesterday. Took a very poor picture but you get a clue what the colour is. Not for me. The black bay blue colour has my preference.

Craftsman
    Personally, I love it although I'm not mad on the amount of dial writing now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F0dxbh69Qs

I don't know how to embed this video, sorry but you can see both the blue and black examples in the video.

Master
    No change - Tudor would've been designing the movement to be a simple drop-in replacement, so no extra expense was needed on modifying the case either externally or internally.

Not correct.

The Pelagos V1 is 13.8mm thick. The ETA 2824 is 4.6mm thick.

The new Tudor movement is 6.5mm Thick. There will have to be quite considerate changes to the case to accommodate a 40% increase in movement height. The new Pelagos may be thicker or Tudor have been more efficient in their design.

Master
    From the side view on Tudor's site, it looks like the caseback is taking care of the movement's thickness increase.

From the side view on Tudor's site, it looks like the caseback is taking care of the movement's thickness increase.
    Interesting, would be nice to see a side by side once the reviews start flowing in.

Time to grab a bargain ETA Pelagos ?

You could get an ETA Pelagos is you haggled for under/near £2500 cash in ADs. I nearly pulled the trigger on one at least twice but I'm going through a period where dive watches aren't appealing to me.

However, at £2000 I'd buy one straight away.

I wonder what sort of discount you could haggle in a AD given that the current model the shop stocks is being superseded ?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    Not correct.

The Pelagos V1 is 13.8mm thick. The ETA 2824 is 4.6mm thick.

The new Tudor movement is 6.5mm Thick. There will have to be quite considerate changes to the case to accommodate a 40% increase in movement height. The new Pelagos may be thicker or Tudor have been more efficient in their design.
    That's quite thick for a time-only movement - 1mm thicker than Omega's 8500 which is often wrongly blamed for the deep girth of their watches.

However Rolex's own 3135 movement is 6mm thick, and Rolex has no problem putting it into a 12.5mm case with plenty of WR, so there's no reason the Tudor can't stay at 14mm front to back with this new movement.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    A sharp eyed chap in another place pointed out that the new in house movement looks very similar to the new Rolex 3255 with the same 70 hour reserve except it doesn't feature the new Rolex escapement design. If this is the case then the small price bump looks very reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    A sharp eyed chap in another place pointed out that the new in house movement looks very similar to the new Rolex 3255 with the same 70 hour reserve except it doesn't feature the new Rolex escapement design. If this is the case then the small price bump looks very reasonable.
    Except that it's not made by Rolex. There are some superficial similarities in geometry, but I'm still not convinced that they are that similar... From what I understand, components are made by Tudor and various sub-contractors around Switzerland and assembled by Tudor.

I still think it's a remarkable price for a new movement.

Master
    I am not sure anyone outside Tudor or Rolex can say for definite where the new movement is made or by whom or indeed what proportion of parts (if any) are common between the 3255 and MT5621 but the similarities in balance bridge, rotor bearings, microstella adjusters and identical 70 hour reserve are suggestive of links IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I am not sure anyone outside Tudor or Rolex can say for definite where the new movement is made or by whom or indeed what proportion of parts (if any) are common between the 3255 and MT5621 but the similarities in balance bridge, rotor bearings, microstella adjusters and identical 70 hour reserve are suggestive of links IMO.
    They appear to have provided that info at the launch - as reported by James Dowling from TimeZone.

ETA - I'm not sure of the exact differences between the MT5621 and the 5612, but working on that first.
    Last edited by Broussard; 29th March 2015 at 11:25.