closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolex imperfection on new BLNR

Master

Rolex imperfection on new BLNR

This watch below is about a year old and has been worn about a dozen times, now if you look to the right of the 12 o'clock marker on the 'O' of the 'ROLEX' on the inner ring you should be able to see what can only be described as a small chip. I've taken it into the dealer and they have said they'll send it back to Rolex to get it put right but it's the second fault on a new Rolex in the last 3 years, my first was a small bit of lume on the face of a Sub. My question is am I just being too fussy and if not do you think Rolex should offer me some sort of good will gesture, say a free service on one of my watches in the future?

upload foto

Thanks

Banned
    I can't see anything, but good luck in getting it sorted.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    I can't see anything, but good luck in getting it sorted.
    It is there honest! The OD have acknowledged it and although small its annoying me.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    At Rolex prices you CAN be fussy.

When they put it right though, that is where it stops.

A different aspect is the time you have to go without the watch while they put it right.
    Wat is reasonable and when would some sort of compensation be?

With utility goods like say a delivery van it is reasonable to expect a temporary replacement to do the job pretty quick.
    With a utility watch like a Casio F91-W you simply get a new one.
    No idea how that works/is reasonable with luxury goods.

Master
    Possibly a clearer pic? It's just above the 2nd, second marker on the outer edge of the inner ring.

free uploader

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    At Rolex prices you CAN be fussy.

When they put it right though, that is where it stops.

A different aspect is the time you have to go without the watch while they put it right.
    Wat is reasonable and when would some sort of compensation be?

With utility goods like say a delivery van it is reasonable to expect a temporary replacement to do the job pretty quick.
    With a utility watch like a Casio F91-W you simply get a new one.
    No idea how that works/is reasonable with luxury goods.
    My thoughts exactly on being fussy. I just think the offer of a free service would be a nice gesture as it will be away for about 6 weeks.

I'm guessing its the small highlight in the red circle? looks like a small nick or imperfection on the rehaut ring. im sure it will be fixed/replaced. as for recompense, if you don't ask and all that.

There does certainly appear to be a mark on the upper edge of the inner rehaut ring, on the 2nd second marker. I would definitely be returning this to Rolex HQ to be rectified under warranty.

I sent my 2-month old LVc back to Rolex last year to remove a speck of dust from the dial. They were very good and prioritised it (they prioritise warranty work over servicing, as far as I am aware) - I got it back within a month (with a service pouch, nothing more).

I didn't ask for any form of compensation, I was just glad to have it repaired under warranty. You could try to push some form of compensation, given your repeated issues with different watches. But, it might be more hassle than it's worth.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deerworrier View Post

I'm guessing its the small highlight in the red circle? looks like a small nick or imperfection on the rehaut ring. im sure it will be fixed/replaced. as for recompense, if you don't ask and all that.
    That's it, thanks for that and I think I'll do just that. Much appreciated

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    There does certainly appear to be a mark on the upper edge of the inner rehaut ring, on the 2nd second marker. I would definitely be returning this to Rolex HQ to be rectified under warranty.

I sent my 2-month old LVc back to Rolex last year to remove a speck of dust from the dial. They were very good and prioritised it (they prioritise warranty work over servicing, as far as I am aware) - I got it back within a month (with a service pouch, nothing more).

I didn't ask for any form of compensation, I was just glad to have it repaired under warranty. You could try to push some form of compensation, given your repeated issues with different watches. But, it might be more hassle than it's worth.
    Yes got the pouch with my sub as well so better than nothing I suppose.

TBH,I would never notice it and if I did it wouldn't bother it. But, we are all different. If it interferes with your enjoyment of the watch, do get it fixed. It is a year later and even if a 'congenital' fault, should be happy if Rolex does it for you.

I agree with some of the comments that have already been made. At this price point there's nothing wrong with being fussy. I know I would be.

Journeyman

QA

More to the point, how did it pass QA?

Master
    Personally, I'd live with it. Nothing is perfect and if that's the only fault then it's not a major one. It depends how often you notice it I guess.

Yeah - wouldn't bother me at all. In fact I'd be more worried about any potential damage from the work done to replace it.

Journeyman
    Hang on this is a top dollar watch and should be perfect. If I bought an Aston Martin with a paint issue it would still be as fast as one with perfect paint but should I except it I think not.

Grand Master
    Sorry can we just clarify you purchased this brand new with stickers on?
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    Personally, I'd live with it. Nothing is perfect and if that's the only fault then it's not a major one. It depends how often you notice it I guess.
    I don't mind if I put the imperfections in, it's then got a bit of character but would you put up with a brand new car that had a stone chip on the front?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Sorry can we just clarify you purchased this brand new with stickers on?
    Yes I did, from goldsmiths.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolawinston View Post
    I don't mind if I put the imperfections in, it's then got a bit of character but would you put up with a brand new car that had a stone chip on the front?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I did, from goldsmiths.
    then it needs to go back and will be fixed by Rolex
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Yeah - wouldn't bother me at all. In fact I'd be more worried about any potential damage from the work done to replace it.
    Really, it's going back to the people that built it in the first place!

Grand Master
    Yes it is below the quality for new new and Rolex will sort it 100%, pop into St James
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Yes it is below the quality for new new and Rolex will sort it 100%, pop into St James
    It's going back to the AD on Monday, I was unsure tbh but this thread has made my mind up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wigan bear View Post
    If I bought an Aston Martin with a paint issue it would still be as fast as one with perfect paint but should I except it I think not.
    If you went back to them after a year of ownership, they would tell you where to shove it or
    May be even do it for you (I.e shoving )
    Last edited by RAJEN; 20th March 2015 at 22:16.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    If you went back to them after a year of ownership, they would tell you where to shove it or
    May be even do it for you (I.e shoving )
    Yes they would, but this is a mark that must of been there since new and because I've only had the watch on a few times I hadn't noticed it, more comparable with the cigarette lighter not working or something like that

Yes they would, but this is a mark that must of been there since new and because I've only had the watch on a few times I hadn't noticed it, more comparable with the cigarette lighter not working or something like that
    Agree, even Rolex would probably agree this was a 'birth defect'. My response was to the laughable Aston Martin paint comparision.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wigan bear View Post
    Hang on this is a top dollar watch and should be perfect.
    Not it's not, it's a £6k mass produced watch. Not close to top drawer in the grand scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Always a risk. My box-fresh BLNR was sent to Rolex before it even hit my wrist for bezel alignment. It came back a month later with a perfectly aligned bezel but it had gained a ding on one of the lugs.

Master
    Agree, even Rolex would probably agree this was a 'birth defect'. My response was to the laughable Aston Martin paint comparision.
    Birth defect, I like that I'll use it when I take it in Monday

Craftsman
    I really need to get my eyes checked!

I struggle to take this seriously. How did you even notice this?

Master
    Not it's not, it's a £6k mass produced watch. Not close to top drawer in the grand scheme of things.

Always a risk. My box-fresh BLNR was sent to Rolex before it even hit my wrist for bezel alignment. It came back a month later with a perfectly aligned bezel but it had gained a ding on one of the lugs.
    And i bet it went back again until you were happy? Either way I think I've got every right to be fully satisfied with my mass produced watch.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by even neve View Post
    I struggle to take this seriously. How did you even notice this?
    I take it you cannot see it then?

Master
    Nope, it didn't go back. I'm happy to live with it - it's part of the history of the watch. I'm sure it'll get tidied up at its first service, along with anything that that happens to it between now and then.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Send it back and they will sort it.

I've taken two watches back to St James under warranty. Both were sorted quickly. I now have two service pouches I can sell on SC...

Master
    Nope, it didn't go back. I'm happy to live with it - it's part of the history of the watch. I'm sure it'll get tidied up at its first service, along with anything that that happens to it between now and then.
    We all have different standards I suppose and like I said before I can live with imperfections as long as I or someone I know put them there. If an item, any item I had sent back came back with another fault I'd have to return it again as that's just poor imo.

I take it you cannot see it then?
    I can. Wouldn't've sans red ring.

Master
    We all have different standards I suppose and like I said before I can live with imperfections as long as I or someone I know put them there. If an item, any item I had sent back came back with another fault I'd have to return it again as that's just poor imo.
    Who knows where the ding got there - RSC? AD packing it up to go there? AD unpacking it when it got back? Me handling it at the AD prior to purchase? Me collecting it at the AD? At the end of the day it's just a watch and it'll get some wear and tear during its life.

Master
    I can. Wouldn't've sans red ring.
    Believe it or not it's clearer in real life but not in your face clear, however I did notice it and was actually on the tube at the time

Who knows where the ding got there - RSC? AD packing it up to go there? AD unpacking it when it got back? Me handling it at the AD prior to purchase? Me collecting it at the AD? At the end of the day it's just a watch and it'll get some wear and tear during its life.
    That is my approach too, my daily beater certainly looks like it has had a rough life. I'm sure some would not be able to live with it.

Master
    That is my approach too, my daily beater certainly looks like it has had a rough life. I'm sure some would not be able to live with it.
    My daily watch is an Oris and it's by no means perfect, I don't wear any of my Rolexes as 'beaters' though.

My daily watch is an Oris and it's by no means perfect, I don't wear any of my Rolexes as 'beaters' though.
    We differ also in this.

Good luck with visit to AD, I'm sure you'll get it fixed.

Master
    We differ also in this.

Good luck with visit to AD, I'm sure you'll get it fixed.
    We're all different which is a very good thing! Thanks very much.

Let's get this straight. A fault is a fault and you paid the money for a perfect new watch so that's what you should have, end of. Most people in the world pay less than £6k for a car, just to get it into context! - I've personally had poor experience with Rolex St James who took 3 attempts to fix a crown issue (where it would get stuck when unscrewed) so just make sure you're happy when you get it back 😊

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Let's get this straight. A fault is a fault and you paid the money for a perfect new watch so that's what you should have, end of. Most people in the world pay less than £6k for a car, just to get it into context! - I've personally had poor experience with Rolex St James who took 3 attempts to fix a crown issue (where it would get stuck when unscrewed) so just make sure you're happy when you get it back 
    Chees Rob, this is what the voice inside my head says every time I look at it

I think Rolex will fix it but when I see people getting on a high horse and blowing hot air about ' top dollar , brand new blah blah' they forget it is a year old already now.

Blog Entries
    This watch below is about a year old and has been worn about a dozen times, now if you look to the right of the 12 o'clock marker on the 'O' of the 'ROLEX' on the inner ring you should be able to see what can only be described as a small chip. I've taken it into the dealer and they have said they'll send it back to Rolex to get it put right
    Yes I see it. It's a tiny imperfection and yes, it's quite right that it should be put right under warranty.

but it's the second fault on a new Rolex in the last 3 years, my first was a small bit of lume on the face of a Sub.
    Annoying but no big deal if it was put right under warranty.

My question is am I just being too fussy and if not do you think Rolex should offer me some sort of good will gesture, say a free service on one of my watches in the future?
    You're not being too fussy about imperfections that should not be there on nearly-new watches but as long as they are put right under warranty then there's no need for any further good will gestures. Things like this happen. As long as they are put right then it's not that big a deal.

A good will gesture should be reserved for someone far more out of the ordinary. The chip on this one and the lume on your other one just don't seem worthy of anything more than fixing the imperfections, to my mind.

I think Rolex will fix it but when I see people getting on a high horse and blowing hot air about ' top dollar , brand new blah blah' they forget it is a year old already now.
    From the picture - and if the damage is on the rehaut - it is physically impossible to damage the rehaut without removing the crystal. It's not a part of the watch that's in any way 'open to the elements' so with certainty it's a fault that occurred during manufacture or assembly. Forget the brand, this is a £6k watch. I wouldn't accept a substandard £600 watch, in fact if there was an obvious flaw on a £60 g shock I'd probably swap it for a properly made one, because I didn't pay for a 'slightly cosmetically damaged' one, I paid full price. The fact it is a Rolex is immaterial.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    From the picture - and if the damage is on the rehaut - it is physically impossible to damage the rehaut without removing the crystal. It's not a part of the watch that's in any way 'open to the elements' so with certainty it's a fault that occurred during manufacture or assembly. Forget the brand, this is a £6k watch. I wouldn't accept a substandard £600 watch, in fact if there was an obvious flaw on a £60 g shock I'd probably swap it for a properly made one, because I didn't pay for a 'slightly cosmetically damaged' one, I paid full price. The fact it is a Rolex is immaterial.
    After a year of ownership, this argument loses a lot of its shine. I agree it was there from beginning but Rolex could easily say- now you
    Are noticing it, if it was their all along??
    Just because it costs 6k or 600k, doesn't give the buyer the right to complain about a cosmetic flaw after a year! This argument is totally valid if you went home and looked at the watch and noticed it or may be within the first week.
    A year later ?? This is not about functioning of the watch.
    I hope Rolex fixes it but the argument is total BS.

Disagree. The OP should take this in to be repaired under warranty. The mark is beneath the crystal and is a fault in manufacturing. Regardless of the how long the OP has owned the watch, a fault is a fault.

If the dial / hands began to degrade over time, there would be no question in Rolex repairing this fault.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by toohuge View Post
    The OP should take this in to be repaired under warranty. The mark is beneath the crystal and is a fault in manufacturing. Regardless of the how long the OP has owned the watch, a fault is a fault.
    This. Agreed.

Regardless of how long the owner has had the watch, it's clearly a warranty issue.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    This. Agreed.

Regardless of how long the owner has had the watch, it's clearly a warranty issue.
    Agreed as well. At that price point, it should be perfect.

Banned
    After a year of ownership, this argument loses a lot of its shine. I agree it was there from beginning but Rolex could easily say- now you
    Are noticing it, if it was their all along??
    Just because it costs 6k or 600k, doesn't give the buyer the right to complain about a cosmetic flaw after a year! This argument is totally valid if you went home and looked at the watch and noticed it or may be within the first week.
    A year later ?? This is not about functioning of the watch.
    I hope Rolex fixes it but the argument is total BS.
    Surely it's up to the buyer when any warranty is claimed, as long as it's within the warranty period there can't be much of argument from Rolex.