closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 2015 - New PloProf

2015 - New PloProf

Applogies if this has been discussed before, but couldn't find any topic.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/omega-se...nometer-watch/

For me this is a gorgeous update, see through case back and interesting lume. This one and the new Snoopy are 2 watches I find absolutely perfect from this year Baselworld.

Titanium mesh bracelet...

>rubs legs Vic Reeves style<

hmmm titanium is interesting as the steel version weighs a ton, especially on the mesh, but for it to not have a date is a bit of a miss at that price point. I like the 2 tone blue one, but $18000.....wow.

Craftsman
    $18k is the white gold one though, isn't it? You'll still have to really want one though I think for these prices. Unfortunately it's not really a watch that I've ever liked/understood much.

The display back seems a bit out of place on the ProPlof, doesnt really suit the watch as much as like watching whirly bits go round.

Titanium one does sound nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodriguez View Post
    $18k is the white gold one though, isn't it? You'll still have to really want one though I think for these prices. Unfortunately it's not really a watch that I've ever liked/understood much.
    yep, its the gold one. Weird seeing how light they must be by the way he was waving them about in the review.

Always been fascinated by the PloProf but never actually purchased one - this time however I might actually go for it simply because of the titanium mesh bracelet.

I like the Ploprof and having owned one I know it is a big heavy watch. I like the display back on the new model and the 8900 calibre will be superb. Titanium will obviously make the watch much lighter but I think a titanium cased Ploprof will pick up more marks and dings when compared to the steel model?

Now, that's more like it Omega..

Craftsman
    $18000 may be the gold one but the others are all $12600 (which is sure to translate to over £8000 RRP in the UK). That's a pretty hefty amount and probably places this at the top of the non-precious metal Omega range doesn't it? I like some of the new materials and finishes but not sure about that price. Perhaps good for values of the first generation reissue though!

Craftsman
    Omega did a fantastic job on this one. Great specs. and just a cool looking watch!

It looks good in the 'standard' colours, and even the grey, however the blue/white does nothing for me. I also can't really see the point of the display back, but hey ho, and I much prefer the older style rubber - the 'mesh style' rubber looks a bit crappy. I'd love to see how much the titanium clasp and mesh will come out at - the steel was a fortune.

I think I'll stick with my Gen 1 1200m...

I'm sure these will find a market, but I'm not a fan of this, or indeed the previous model. The Ploprof from the 1970's looked like that for a reason. There was an honesty to it. To me, these reworked models are a cosmetic pastiche which are neither one thing nor the other.

Grand Master
    All this talk about PloProfs.

I have just got back my original 1970's baby PloProf this morning after being serviced by Paul,a vintage Plo always feels and looks nice too..

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post

I like what they have done with the lume on the minute hand and top marker compared to my gen1,

Don't forget, if those are too cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    Yes! That's one is for Gold diggers divers

Nice updates. Still a very bizarre looking watch though bit each to their own

Steve

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    That's the Leopard Daytona for the 21st century :)
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    I'm sure these will find a market, but I'm not a fan of this, or indeed the previous model. The Ploprof from the 1970's looked like that for a reason. There was an honesty to it. To me, these reworked models are a cosmetic pastiche which are neither one thing nor the other.
    I am with jdh1 on this one.

Do people who are not about to go on some epic dive actually go around wearing those things?

I saw one of these about a week ago, a very big bulky watch that really stands out. It would look like a pack of cards strapped on my wrist (7") !

I question the design relevance of these given that deepsea divers wear dive computers these days on the job, I think I'd feel a bit silly if someone asked me about the watches functionality and I had to explain to them about the bezel release button etc. (not being a professional deepsea diver and even if I was, I'd probably not be using one on the job etc.).

Horses for courses.

I like the look of these but I've never seen one in the flesh

Craftsman
    Not sure I like this. Would be interested to get the background on this watch??

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    I saw one of these about a week ago, a very big bulky watch that really stands out. It would look like a pack of cards strapped on my wrist (7") !

I question the design relevance of these given that deepsea divers wear dive computers these days on the job, I think I'd feel a bit silly if someone asked me about the watches functionality and I had to explain to them about the bezel release button etc. (not being a professional deepsea diver and even if I was, I'd probably not be using one on the job etc.).

Horses for courses.

As said, previously, I feel similarly. I have one from the 1970's and although it's big, it 's actually more comfortable than you'd think. It's a nice talking point and I'm comfortable talking about the history of the thing and the functionality, because at one time it was almosts certainly a working tool. However, if I had one of the new incarnations, I'd feel a bit daft explaining the same thing. Although they look similar, one was made like that for a purpose and the other was made like that to look like something which once had a purpose.

In one of the other Basel threads the PloProf was mentioned... I seriously love the white face but wish it could be in a more everyday styled diver case.

Although they look similar, one was made like that for a purpose and the other was made like that to look like something which once had a purpose.
    That's really a very nice way of putting it... It also means I would not buy the modern edition now!

I've saved you from yourself DB9! And you'd probably much rather have one of these:

These are mad looking things but they've grown on me over the years. I still think I'd go for a mint one on sc though

How on earth did I miss this release from Basel - a new Ti Ploprof - shame it has lost the date, but probably for good reason - I've sent two back as the dates fupped up! Also the lack of quick-set date really stands out on the Ploprof and the 8500 Planet Oceans!

The last steel 1200m ploprof is/was one of the best built watches Omega have ever made - so I'm interested to check out the new Ti versions and see what I think - I don't think it will be replacing mien though.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    This is one watch Ive never really understood..

I have always liked this watch and now in Ti it is likely to be much easier to wear around and about without water to support it. Still oversized for me though.
    Wish it could be downsized a touch.

Journeyman
    Lovely watch ! I'd consider that one if i didn't have a young girl wrist... Just have to look at it i guess !

Blog Entries
    Love the Plo-Prof - such a mad looking watch!

Such a superbly engineered piece

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 5th September 2015 at 23:05.

Craftsman
    I tried out a friends for a week ,and you do get used to the size and weight quickly.Lots of people commented on it .It will be more a daily watch in titanium due to the lighter weight.I like the no date look it makes the dial cleaner and think the grey looks the best .It is expensive and I would wait a bit for a preowned model to appear.

jambobbyb
    Last edited by jambobbyb; 21st May 2019 at 19:29.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cracking looker imo. Though the size and price put it out of consideration for me.

Always loved the Ploprof and the changes give a good alternative - especially with the Titanium but I always liked the heft of the original and date function so would probably prefer the original 1200m Ploprof.

Master
    Totally in agreement with this. I can understand owning gen 1 and adoring it, but this is a bit like pretending the 2015 Mini Countyman you drive around in is really a Mk1 Cooper instead of what it actually is - some styling cues and a bloater of a people carrier.

Craftsman
    @Scrubnut Noo, i did not know that Omega did those bling things as well, what a sad day. One of the only places i have seen this 'diamond' watches look somewhat good is JLC (not all, but a few of the women line up).

Watch companies if you are reading this, stop with the excessive diamonds, it looks horrid! Not everything is better in large quantities.

As said, previously, I feel similarly. I have one from the 1970's and although it's big, it 's actually more comfortable than you'd think. It's a nice talking point and I'm comfortable talking about the history of the thing and the functionality, because at one time it was almosts certainly a working tool. However, if I had one of the new incarnations, I'd feel a bit daft explaining the same thing. Although they look similar, one was made like that for a purpose and the other was made like that to look like something which once had a purpose.
    Im going to echo this sentiment. Also it always makes me raise an eyebrow that this thing is so big but manages a WR of 1200m vs the 4000m that rolex's seadweller offers - at a far neater, less-shouty, size...

I like the Ploprof and the titanium one makes a lot of sense, although the one time I actually saw a Ploprof, it didn't seem as absurdly large as it always looks in photos.

A lot of cash, though. I'd probably plump for a vintage one if I was really interested in getting one.

M.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    That's the Leopard Daytona for the 21st century :)
    Its almost there - Omega are catching up in the vulgarity stakes!

Not quite enough colour clash though...

Master
    Love that. Mesh>.