closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex sports watches - how low can you go...?

Rolex sports watches - how low can you go...?

Let's say I wanted a beater Rolex sports watch that was waterproof for holidays etc, how cheap do you think one can go? I'm thinking, no B&P, possibly head only. Explorer II the cheapest way in?

I'd say so. £2.200-£2.400 should get you into one. Head only certainly will do.

Blog Entries
    Agreed with the above, I have a T<25 14060 and EXPII that I paid £2,200 (head only) and £2,300 (with proper bracelet).

Paul

Craftsman
    Chrono24 have some reasonable prices from European sellers due to the weak euro to GBP

If you count Datejusts and OPs as sports watches, which is completely reasonable given their durability and real-world water resistance, then quite low indeed. If anything, their dimensions make them even more suitable for rougher use, since they're less likely to be damaged — and there are fewer external parts to mess up. They have the same no-excuses movements as the rotating-bezel stuff, too.

Or if you want the bargain of all Rolex bargains, get the toughest and most accurate movement they've ever made in the Oysterquartz, which can be had quite inexpensively for the quality in some of the less-pristine examples for sale. I've just returned from wearing one as my only watch touring South America from the jungle to the Andes since the beginning of the month, and I wasn't left wanting for one of my sports models during the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Or if you want the bargain of all Rolex bargains, get the toughest and most accurate movement they've ever made in the Oysterquartz
    The OQ is an absolute belter for the money. Lovely thing.

Ever since I saw the photoshopped pic of the Oysterquartz on St. Patrick's day, it has been on mind. Never paid much attention to those before.

Craftsman
    Like this one

Offered it for sale recently. No interest which really surprised me. Back on the wrist now as I'd forgotten how good it is.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Ever since I saw the photoshopped pic of the Oysterquartz on St. Patrick's day, it has been on mind. Never paid much attention to those before.
    It is arguably the best movement Rolex has made and as a bonus it is a different league of accuracy and pr.

They are extremely rugged and a (MUCH less often required) service can be done by any competent watchmaker.

The snag is that the tech and electronics used are early seventies and there is NO alternative for repair to Rolex as there are NO cheap alternative donor watches available.
    So by all means buy one as you can indeed find VERY good vfm, but be aware that it is not all good news on the cheap front.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    It is arguably the best movement Rolex has made and as a bonus it is a different league of accuracy and pr.

They are extremely rugged and a (MUCH less often required) service can be done by any competent watchmaker.

The snag is that the tech and electronics used are early seventies and there is NO alternative for repair to Rolex as there are NO cheap alternative donor watches available.
    So by all means buy one as you can indeed find VERY good vfm, but be aware that it is not all good news on the cheap front.
    Excellent advice. I bought a OQ in Italy 3 years ago and had some issues 1 year later - my watchmaker couldn't fix the problems and it has taken me a year + to find and replace the broken parts.

Still an excellent watch though.

Grand Master
    I`m struggling to grasp the logic of buying a cheap Rolex beater for holidays?........

Buying a cheap scruffy Rolex is a bit like buying a scruffy prestige car; it'll end up costing money to sort out and a scruffy watch will (at best) always be an improved scruffy watch.

Best watch to take on holiday is an old Seiko......no disrespect to Seiko, but I`d rather have a cheap watch on my wrist for holidays. One less thing to worry about IMO.

Paul

I've worn Rolex on holiday for years, but next month I've decided to take just an iPhone and a modern Milsub.

I really doesn't feel like a compromise but i might have changed my mind when I get back.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I`m struggling to grasp the logic of buying a cheap Rolex beater for holidays?........
    I get it.
    The dna of being a tool watch is just about beaten to death here.
    A sub may not be as rugged as a modern tech sport watch but is still is quite rugged enough to go canyonning if you don´t mind some dings. Well and there comes the scruffy one in. Adding sabi will not see the value drop like a stone.

Also there is something cool in wearing a Rolex as a holiday beater; you still have the pretty face to look at whenever you look at the time.

As to cost of ownership I see no extra risc. Just make sure the engine is not clapped out. The scruffy outside does not mean the inside is.

Lastly the sabi thing itself. Scratches and dings are proof of a usefull life. Imo it is like a LandRover Defender, that SHOULD have scatches and dents from brushes and rocks, it should not be as new shiny metallic.

Yes, I think the OP is the one who gets it.
    Think of it: Buy a Sub because it is the ultimate adventure/rugged watch and then don a CWC for beach crawling lest the precious gets damaged?!

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post

Think of it: Buy a Sub because it is the ultimate adventure/ruggethen don a CWC for beach crawling lest the precious gets damaged?!
    To be fair for me it is the Rolex or a CWC.

The fixed bars, real RN connection and achingly spartan simplicity give the latter a fair share of Milsub DNA.

And for me scary part isn't damaging the precious at the beach, it is in Bucharest or Naples in a bar, or in the street in LA or Bari.

All places where I wished I'd brought another watch.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    To be fair for me it is the Rolex or a CWC.

The fixed bars, real RN connection and achingly spartan simplicity give the latter a fair share of Milsub DNA.

And for me scary part isn't damaging the precious at the beach, it is in Bucharest or Naples in a bar, or in the street in LA or Bari.

All places where I wished I'd brought another watch.

Please do understand that I am in NO WAY knocking the motivation to opt for a CWC. It is to all extends and purposes indeed the mil sub with modern rugged tech.

The risk of getting a knock on the head bit applies to everything perceived as above ´only jap crap´. Not sure whether the rough crowd would notice the seconds hand of the CWC ticking off seconds.
    It is indeed sometimes a reason to don my ´crap jap digital´ SDGA001.