closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which Portuguese?

Master
    Blog Entries

Which Portuguese?

I've lost the love of wristwatches in the past six months or so but still feeling drawn to acquire something smart and most likely with a white dial. Many of us know and admire IWC's auto model, including me.

But i've always subscribed to simple and cleaner dials and think this is probably better for me. I also like the eight day weekly winding experience from numerous Panerai's that have passed through my hands.

IIRC there are a number of auto owners here but are there any manual owners happy to comment on their ownership experience?

Master
    Have you tried one on Baz?

I always fancied a Portuguese but after trying one on a couple of weeks ago found it a bit on the small side.

Steve.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've not tried either yet tbh.

A white dialled PAM 572 at 45mm might well have ticked the box but sadly doesn't exist.......yet anyway.

There's something very special about a white dial and IMO only a few do it well, Panerai aren't one of them for me...however IWC really do and the Portuguese is superb, tried on the 5001-07 and the 3714-46 and the 07 won hands down for me, felt it was just right whereas the 46 was just a little to small, then i am used to a 44mm Luminor

Owned the manual winding one and also a manual winding Panerai - for some reason never could get used to the winding experience for the IWC whilst I always loved that with the Panerai. The IWC in question was the IWC Portugieser Regulateur IW5444, so not the one you refer to. Beautiful watch but not for me unfortunately, so now I'm back to the 5007.

Craftsman
    Are there any Portuguese in under 40mm? I love the style but far too big for me

The Portuguese 5001 is my favorite watch. I do also have a Portuguese F.A. Jones manual wind. It's a lovely watch but I prefer the Portuguese Automatic.
    JK

Quote Originally Posted by andybaird22 View Post
    Are there any Portuguese in under 40mm? I love the style but far too big for me
    You will have to find an old ref. 3531 also called "small Portuguese". They are 35 mm. Lovely watch.
    JK

Master
    I had a similar experience and really liked this one after trying it on just not nearly £8K nice. Hoping for a better value second hand one comes up.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by soegaard View Post
    You will have to find an old ref. 3531 also called "small Portuguese". They are 35 mm. Lovely watch.
    JK

That is a near perfect watch for me

I like the Portuguese pure classic white/silver dial.
    42mm and only 6.5mm thick. Just two hands. Simple.

I would love one of these.

Andy