closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help me choose my next watch

Help me choose my next watch

I turned 40 a few days ago and my family clubbed together to provide a watch fund which is £2k, I can add another £500 if needed, but the problem is, the two watches I REALLLLY wanted are out of this budget. Top of the list is a Cartier Santos 100 XL (which I've seen for circa £3500) or the ultimate for me is the IWC Da Vinci Chronograph which I've seen for £7k.

My dilemma is that I've got a nice range of watches:

The Rolex for business smart, rado for dress, omega divers for the sporty stuff and the Breitling covers my 2 time-zone needs for when I travel for work. I've also got a couple of G-shocks for uber casual.

I really don't want to buy watches which are similar to the one's I already had. E.g. I was in Terminal 5 last week in the Cartier shop and they tried to talk me into a Ballon Bleu, but to me it says round / white-face, covered by Rolex I already own, that's my mentality, I know others on here go for a particular theme.

I'm not averse to 2nd hand so any suggestions in the £2 - £2.5k range would really be welcome

Time to try vintage perhaps? A chrono from Heuer is well inside your budget.

Craftsman
    Save for the Cartier? If it's one you really want..

Or Speedmaster if you want to buy one now.

Craftsman
    Why not drop the 2500 on it and get a 0%credit card for the other 1000 quid and get the one you really want. It is your 40th after all

vintage heur is an interesting shout, will look into it.

Cartier will be added regardless, likely early next year with my next bonus (wife took this one for her car fund :) ), but the family wanted me to blow the watch fund in the near future if possible

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    Time to try vintage perhaps? A chrono from Heuer is well inside your budget.
    Or even modern? You could get a Monaco new from Chrono 24 in Italy for 2.5k then you get a square watch :)

Banned
    If you can sell the rado without too bad a haircut (tough, i know) then chop it, add the cash to the deal and get the Cartier. You then have a dress watch and the one you want.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    If you can sell the rado without too bad a haircut (tough, i know) then chop it, add the cash to the deal and get the Cartier. You then have a dress watch and the one you want.
    Agree with this, get the cartier and your collection remains complete to cover all situations.

If your family wish you to spend it for your big birthday then I think you are duty bound to do so!
    Yolo as the kids may say!

:) appreciate the advice. am definitely duty bound to spend the money. None of the collection is getting sold, they all hold sentimental value for one reason or another.

I've been researching the Cartier's. I'm really liking the Roadster model. If I can find one on a good leather / croc strap, could be a winner?

Master
    https://www.chrono24.com/en/cartier/...-id3191519.htm
    https://www.chrono24.com/en/cartier/...-id3105008.htm
    https://www.chrono24.com/en/cartier/...-id3176453.htm – you'll need to enquire if it definitely is reserved.

Tried a bi-metal one recently, just out of sheer curiosity – lovely curve to the case, making it sit very comfortably on the wrist.
    The leather strap was a bit stiff and thin for my liking, but that's as a result of the novel clasp they've designed – if it were something I was genuinely interested in, I'm sure I could live with it.
    Last edited by PJ S; 24th March 2015 at 12:53.

Thanks for those links PJ S, will definitely be contacting the sellers

Journeyman
    As others have said before I'd add some vintage if I were you I'd be looking to get a Universal Geneve Tricompax. I've seen good examples go for within your budget. There's a reason they're called the poor man's Patek.

Master

Trying to value a NOS deal I've been offered

Removed - sorry - posted in wrong place - apologies to the OP
    Last edited by HappyJack; 24th March 2015 at 23:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Fas View Post
    :) appreciate the advice. am definitely duty bound to spend the money. None of the collection is getting sold, they all hold sentimental value for one reason or another.

I've been researching the Cartier's. I'm really liking the Roadster model. If I can find one on a good leather / croc strap, could be a winner?
    Cartier roadster on a croc strap could be an excellent choice - there's a few good ones to be found on chrono24. I actually prefer it over the Santos XL which I find to clunky.

Craftsman
    Chrono? Maybe square? - Monza, Monaco, Longines Heritage.
    Autavia is a good shout.
    Maybe look at the Sinn 6000 range for left field, very handsome.
    You'll probably get a Speedy though!!
    Have fun.

Just an update and thanks to all that helped. Am going in a completely different direction re spending the birthday money. Couldn't find anything I truly liked at the price point, so will wait to the end of the year when I get my commission paid out and will get the IWC Da Vinci. In the meantime, the birthday money will be spent on a pen :)

Limited Edition, Mont Blanc writer series Daniel Defoe

Picking it up on Saturday, need to decide between rollerball and ballpoint, but will try them both out and pick one :)

Told you it was a completely different direction.

Forget the pen and buy a Dornblüth.
    F.T.F.A.