closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ever had a "Love-Hate" watch??

Ever had a "Love-Hate" watch??

I hadn't ... until now.

A few weeks ago I saw Filterlab's Seiko Prospex SUN019 in SC, and just looking at it gave me a proper horn. It sold in just 13 minutes on the day, but I made a comment about coveting it nevertheless, and ultimately the new owner needed to move it on and gave me a call. I didn't need another excuse not to grab it, so I did.

It arrived, and properly excited me. Just it's feel and heft was enough to make me want to wear it and after a minor tweak to the bracelet it was on my wrist. It was beautiful, clanky and felt so natural to wear... but I just needed to move it around to stop the crown from digging into the back of my hand. And there's the rub. Literally.

I was determined to wear the watch and persevered with it in the hope that I would get used to the crown. But all I did was end up damaging the back of my hand with the crown, to the extent that I reluctantly parked the Prospex back in its box and have been wearing Flugzeit's Citizen Ecodrive monobloc diver ever since. That was a month ago, so today I dug out my perennial favourite - the TH Super Professional - and felt happy to have it clanking around on my wrist again, but I just needed to move it round my wrist a bit to stop the crown digging into.... yes, it was doing exactly the same as the SUN019. The TAG lasted a whole afternoon before being put away again, and that's where the hate bit comes in - previously the TAG had been my daily wearer for the previous 5 years and now because of the Seiko it's too painful to wear.

I've put the Citizen back on - it's light, simple and legible. And what's more, I've been offered a project RG500 and am trying to generate the cash I'm going to need, so I suspect the Seiko will be my first catch-and-release.

Greg

Master
    That's a shame, have you tried putting it on another strap? I can't get to grips with bracelets.

Breitling Aerospace Avantage - had 3, sold them each time for the same reason. The clasp has a pointed corner on one side that was always catching on stuff, and the 22mm strap is just too wide for my liking on a thin, fairly discrete watch.
    Really really want to like it too - thought it might be "The One".... :(

Probably the Kemmner Octopus for me. I love the sterile dial / white hands combo and the heft of the thing and I finally got the strap combination right with a Hirsch Athlon.
    But it's still a monster of a thing and I generally only wear it on holiday, especially when I am in the pool, as after a while it starts to pull my left arm out of its socket.
    On the bracelet, it was just absurd.
    But the watch looks great on the strap, I can carry the size and overall I love it. One day at a time.

Master
    The Smiths Everest for me, it does look great on the bracelet but I find it either too tight or slack and the centre links create too much heft to the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    The Smiths Everest for me, it does look great on the bracelet but I find it either too tight or slack and the centre links create too much heft to the watch.
    IMHO it looks even better on a really good leather strap with deployant. I've fallen in love with mine all over again recently.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wexford View Post
    IMHO it looks even better on a really good leather strap with deployant. I've fallen in love with mine all over again recently.
    I know I either wear mine on a Hirsch liberty or Nato, but I always come back to trying the bracelet again as I feel it's just a waste sitting there, only to realise within minutes that we don't get on!

Journeyman
    Probably the Kemmner Octopus for me. I love the sterile dial / white hands combo and the heft of the thing and I finally got the strap combination right with a Hirsch Athlon.
    But it's still a monster of a thing and I generally only wear it on holiday, especially when I am in the pool, as after a while it starts to pull my left arm out of its socket.
    On the bracelet, it was just absurd.
    But the watch looks great on the strap, I can carry the size and overall I love it. One day at a time.
    Snap.... I love the look of them but it is a heavy, heavy watch.
    I've put mine on an Isofrane to get shot of some of the weight but it still weighs a ton.

I agree, although I've never worn mine on its bracelet, so maybe I'm missing out

M.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregorius View Post
    I hadn't ... until now.

A few weeks ago I saw Filterlab's Seiko Prospex SUN019 in SC, and just looking at it gave me a proper horn. It sold in just 13 minutes on the day, but I made a comment about coveting it nevertheless, and ultimately the new owner needed to move it on and gave me a call. I didn't need another excuse not to grab it, so I did.

It arrived, and properly excited me. Just it's feel and heft was enough to make me want to wear it and after a minor tweak to the bracelet it was on my wrist. It was beautiful, clanky and felt so natural to wear... but I just needed to move it around to stop the crown from digging into the back of my hand. And there's the rub. Literally.

I was determined to wear the watch and persevered with it in the hope that I would get used to the crown. But all I did was end up damaging the back of my hand with the crown, to the extent that I reluctantly parked the Prospex back in its box and have been wearing Flugzeit's Citizen Ecodrive monobloc diver ever since. That was a month ago, so today I dug out my perennial favourite - the TH Super Professional - and felt happy to have it clanking around on my wrist again, but I just needed to move it round my wrist a bit to stop the crown digging into.... yes, it was doing exactly the same as the SUN019. The TAG lasted a whole afternoon before being put away again, and that's where the hate bit comes in - previously the TAG had been my daily wearer for the previous 5 years and now because of the Seiko it's too painful to wear.

I've put the Citizen back on - it's light, simple and legible. And what's more, I've been offered a project RG500 and am trying to generate the cash I'm going to need, so I suspect the Seiko will be my first catch-and-release.

Greg
    Try it on your right wrist????

Craftsman
    Seiko White Knight. Great dial/style. However, the "integrated" bracelet... A fine bracelet but ... No other options really.. And a dive watch at sometime or other needs a NATO.