closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car tax confusion

Car tax confusion

Just bought my first car since the car tax rule changes last year and I'm a bit confused.

Bought privately and so as I understand it, the seller will now reclaim the unused portion of the tax and then I will have to re-tax the car myself. But rules seem to say that I can't drive the car until I've taxed it. So...

- Does the car remain taxed until the refund has been made (and therefore okay to drive without fear of a nick) OR

- Can I tax it myself prior to the refund being made (effectively taxing the same car twice)

If it's the first option, then there will be a point where the refund has been made and I won't know about it because of postage delay. The rules say there is no grace period. If it's option two, that seems a good way to get even more tax revenue in...but how can I tax it without documentation or a reference to do it online?

Craftsman
    You'll need to tax the car from the date you want to drive it. The previous tax is irrelevant, now. It just means the Treasury now get the additional revenue from both buyers and sellers as rarely are transactions done on the last day of the month...

Blog Entries
    Same here...brought a car at the weekend, but, I can't get the tax until I get the v50 back from Swansea?

Really not sure what to do...?

Journeyman
    if already registered the little piece of the V5 you have will have the 12 digit ref number you need to tax via the phone no or web.
    Last edited by Tumpter; 1st April 2015 at 22:35.

As long as you have insurance/MOT you can tax it immediately online or by phone. You just need the reference number from the old V50(?).

System works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    As long as you have insurance/MOT you can tax it immediately online or by phone. You just need the reference number from the old V50(?).

System works well.
    This
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Hmm, the previous owner had already sent off the form to Swansea when I picked the car up, so no reference number. He told me (perhaps wrongly) that the ref number on the form was unique to him personally, rather than the car, and would be of no use to me in taxing it. Is that wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Tumpter View Post
    if already registered the little piece of the V5 you have will have the 12 digit ref number you need to tax via the phone no or web.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Hmm, the previous owner had already sent off the form to Swansea when I picked the car up, so no reference number. He told me (perhaps wrongly) that the ref number on the form was unique to him personally, rather than the car, and would be of no use to me in taxing it. Is that wrong?

He should have kept the "New owners segment".That way you could have taxed the car at any post office.They don't ask for proof of insurance anymore which confused me a bit but using the new system they have no concern.What I did find was good was that you dont have to send your tax back to the DVLA when it is sold as they refund any credit automatically.

As an aside, the tax remains on the vehicle until the DVLA receives the V5c from the seller.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Same here...brought a car at the weekend, but, I can't get the tax until I get the v50 back from Swansea?

Really not sure what to do...?
    You can tax online without the registration docs as long as the car has MoT and is insured

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Just bought my first car since the car tax rule changes last year and I'm a bit confused.

Bought privately and so as I understand it, the seller will now reclaim the unused portion of the tax and then I will have to re-tax the car myself. But rules seem to say that I can't drive the car until I've taxed it. So...

- Does the car remain taxed until the refund has been made (and therefore okay to drive without fear of a nick) OR

- Can I tax it myself prior to the refund being made (effectively taxing the same car twice)

If it's the first option, then there will be a point where the refund has been made and I won't know about it because of postage delay. The rules say there is no grace period. If it's option two, that seems a good way to get even more tax revenue in...but how can I tax it without documentation or a reference to do it online?
    Hello young man

I just did similar, although through a dealer so the tax refund had already been made to the seller. I taxed on the day I bought but it was surprisingly simple online. I believe there is a 7 day grace period although please don't quote me if stopped...

I'm left aghast today, only vaguely related....

My wife got a new car a few weeks ago, I didn't think to take the old tax out or notify anyone. We just handed it over and drooled over the new one. Today's cheque for the remaining balance of the tax came through.

In the past my experience is that dealers just trousered any refund remaining.

Did the dealer arrange this? Or is this part of the new process?
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

^^^Its all part of the new process.Went through the same experience last November^^^ Saves all the hassle of having to send it off.

Phew, that saves me singing the praises of BMW.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Phew, that saves me singing the praises of BMW.
    .......and you don't want to do that now do you? Especially if it relates to the BMW motorcycle dealer near Edinburgh!!

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Drive the car, tax it before the end of the month and it backdates to 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Drive the car, tax it before the end of the month and it backdates to 1st.
    If you do this there is the chance of being picked up by an ANPR camera and fined.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    If you do this there is the chance of being picked up by an ANPR camera and fined.
    If you get anpr, you get a letter from the dvla (as its a civil offence not a criminal one) and it is NOT a fine but a charge. As long as you tax the car within the calendar month it is backdated to the beginning and you will not be "charged"

Obviously you would only do this if you couldnt yet online etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmilligan View Post
    You can tax online without the registration docs as long as the car has MoT and is insured
    Thanks for that... Apparently it's taxed until May on further checking... Bit of a minefield though!