closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Divers for those with smaller wrists

Craftsman

Divers for those with smaller wrists

Any opinions on great divers for gents with smaller wrists? I have 6.5" wrists and I find that so many classically styled divers look clunky on me. I would love to be able to wear a bigger watch but even some 41mm divers look ridiculous and, dare I say, childlike on me. I know the omega seamaster 300m tends to work on smaller wrists, but does anyone know of any other great divers that would suit smaller wrists? (Often I find the sticking point isn't the diameter but the thickness e.g. the planet ocean - I found the issue was how high it sat off my wrist not lug hang over).

Have a look at the Marathon WW194027

http://www.amazon.com/MARATHON-WW194.../dp/B00KHVP8KY

It may be just what your looking for. ;)

Master
    The new C60's from Chr Ward are well worth a look at (38mm)

http://www.christopherward.co.uk/wat...auto-skws.html

The Eterna Kontiki 1856 is 39mm and only 9mm thick. You should be able to pick a decent one up for about £500.

The Christopher C60 42mm works very well, might not be the case if your wrist is more round than flat.
    If it's flat then not a problem.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by axb601 View Post
    Any opinions on great divers for gents with smaller wrists? I have 6.5" wrists and I find that so many classically styled divers look clunky on me. I would love to be able to wear a bigger watch but even some 41mm divers look ridiculous and, dare I say, childlike on me. I know the omega seamaster 300m tends to work on smaller wrists, but does anyone know of any other great divers that would suit smaller wrists? (Often I find the sticking point isn't the diameter but the thickness e.g. the planet ocean - I found the issue was how high it sat off my wrist not lug hang over).
    Have you tried on a 38mm seamaster 300m?

The Heuer/Tag Heuer 1000 series quartz divers are classic diver style watches and at 36mm and 38mm are a great size for the smaller wrist.

Breitling just brought out a 36mm SuperOcean. They have other smaller models too.

Master
    You can't really go wrong with a sub nd, they're not very deep so wear very nicely. My favourite watch by a country mile

Master
    I have 6.75 wrists and the Fifty fathoms works well for me. It's a big watch but has small lugs.
    As previously mentioned I'd also look at the Sub, a truly fantastic watch in my opinion

Master
    PRS18. Job's a good'un.

Seiko SBCM023 ... Perpetual calendar, quartz, 200m scuba diver.

38mm. Pic on my 7" wrist.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Baby G ?

mike

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by S Works View Post
    PRS18. Job's a good'un.
    Can only agree. I have the 18q as my grab and go, and it is making me question whether my Subc and Speedy pro are too big for me (6 3/4" wrist), which is a shame because I love them to bits.

I have the same sized wrists and a Tudor Snowflake fits perfectly - the correlation must be that a Submariner would also. I've just taken delivery of a Citizen (described by the seller as a NY2300 model) which is also a good fit - it's 40mm.

I'm quiet excited to see the Oris Divers Sixty Five... Looks well made and classic styling! Also looks like it will wear small. The PRS-82 wears pretty tidy I find.

Do you wanna spend big or keep it simple on the pocket.
    Seiko SKX013 could always be an option.

Tag 2000 Classics and aquaracers are handsome, well made, compact and good value.

Master
    Omega baby plo-prof?

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Omega baby plo-prof?
    To be honest, the full-fat plo-prof also works as it has a very compact lug dimension. I tried one on at a GTG and it really was surprising how comfortable it is. Still a lump, mind you.

Some very good suggestions here. I have a Tudor Hydronaut that sits very well on my slim wrist, as did the Tudor sub I had before.

Squale does a nice version of the aforementioned Heuer 1000 model as well, which I really like.

I would agree that Seiko divers are accommodating as regards smaller wrist sizes

Here is my 7002 - 6.75" wrist

And the smaller SKX013

The Citizen NY2300, at 41mm and 12mm depth, giving 200m water resistance. I have sold a few as they were too small for me.
    Often seen on SC at a good price

Blog Entries
    I have flat 6.75" wrists and have had at various times most of the popular divers.

SOH 42
    PO 2500
    SMPc
    SubC
    Bremont Supermarine
    AT2000

The SubC probably fits best and although I loved each of my 4 PO's (ahem) on the bracelet I found it too heavy.

Also, the Bremont Supermarine although 43 on rubber was also ok (again far too heavy on the bracelet).

The only one that I flipped because it was too big was the IWC AT 2000 at 44mm.

I agree re the 8500 PO, lovely watch but too thick for me and I know that the weight would also be an issue for me unless it was the Ti model.

I recently bought an Aerospace Evo Ti which feels to me my biggest watch (less the AT2000). However, it fits without overhanging and the Ti makes it incredibly comfortable.
    Last edited by MFB Scotland; 5th April 2015 at 11:07.

The Oris Aquis 43mm only wears small so give that a whirl. If you find that a bit big there is the 40mm Aquis or the Chris Ward C61 to consider. The new Trident can give the Aquis a run for its money.

How about the Armida A9 series with a case diameter of 38.5mm and 4 versions to choose from? Armida make great watches and are well know for there braass and bronze ranges, although these are stainless steel. I'll be picking up another Armida at some stage. The cost of this watch is $399/£267.

Photo from Co. website.

Craftsman
    Helson Skindiver is 41mm and wears even smaller

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have 6.5 wrists and until I bought the Explorer recently I had work a Zenith Rainbow for 18 years.

Very thin for an auto.

You've mentioned the SMPs already; don't forget the choice that is out there. I find all of these work on my 6.75" wrist, the GMTs are slightly thicker but still work well and modestly sized by today's standards.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chester View Post
    The Oris Aquis 43mm only wears small so give that a whirl. If you find that a bit big there is the 40mm Aquis or the Chris Ward C61 to consider. The new Trident can give the Aquis a run for its money.
    I'm a huge fan of the Aquis Date. It seems to sum up everything I love about divers. But I hadn't realized they do a 40mm version. That seems like it could work much better for me. Has that been discontinued now?

And on the ChWard C60 - worth the money? It seems like a good price, but is it the same quality as the Aquis? Anyone who owns one got any wrist shots? Presumably the movement on these is ETA?

Craftsman
    Also, what about the Longines Hydroconquest? No mention of it so far. Any opinions? Such a good price and great brand heritage. Is it noticeably lower in quality when compared with Aquis Date or SMP300?

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    You've mentioned the SMPs already; don't forget the choice that is out there. I find all of these work on my 6.75" wrist, the GMTs are slightly thicker but still work well and modestly sized by today's standards.

...image...
    Several of those come in mid-size too...with other options also available.

Just don't rule anything out until you've tried it on. What you think may look too big may be the perfect fit and perfect watch for you.

I was really pleased with the SBCM023 as a smaller diver with the classic Seiko diver look, and thought it was the perfect size. After then trying and getting used to a series of larger watches–the PRS3, a couple of larger Seiko divers and the PRS25–I now find the SBCM023 too small. At least, it takes some getting used to when I wear it after wearing one of the others.

Craftsman

How about this Squale

Has a classic rolex sub 16610 been mentioned? The ultimate classic divers watch surely..

Master
    Glycine Combat Sub? Not tiny, but very slim.

You can also get some nice Vostok Amphibias at 38mm, like this 420268.

Banned
    There's always the SOH 38mm

Sub. Job done

Craftsman
    I have 6.25 wrists and I'm getting a sub

Quote Originally Posted by axb601 View Post
    Any opinions on great divers for gents with smaller wrists? I have 6.5" wrists and I find that so many classically styled divers look clunky on me. I would love to be able to wear a bigger watch but even some 41mm divers look ridiculous and, dare I say, childlike on me. I know the omega seamaster 300m tends to work on smaller wrists, but does anyone know of any other great divers that would suit smaller wrists?
    Sub.

Craftsman
    just thing something with short, curved lugs and you'll be fine. I've got some 42mm diameter watches that wear bigger than a 47mm. A lot of the Seiko divers wear smaller, for example the lugs on the Orange Monster are short and the bracelet sits in a recess in the case rather than poking out.

I have a c60 and really like it, it's well made and well finished. The movement is either an ETA or Sellita. Here's a wrist shot (I also have 6.5 inch wrists).

Grand Master
    I can`t wear big divers, wrists are too small and 'square'. Around 39mm is ideal for me and I like them reasonably slim. Omega SMP is the biggest I can wear sensibly, but the pre-Bond SMP (around 39mm) is a better size.

I had a baby Ploprof for service recently and that fitted nicely; a nice watch that I`d recommend if you want something smaller and vintage.

Paul

I can sympathize - my wrists are around 6.5", and fairly flat too. On me a Speedmaster Professional is at the upper end of acceptable size, but still quite doable. I can also pull off a 42mm Planet Ocean (the 2500 one, not the fatter 8500) but it's really pushing the envelope. Mentioning these facts to help you calibrate my advice for your situation.

Some divers I've owned or tried on that worked well for my wrist size:

Sub (not SubC)
    Squale 20 Atmos, Mk II Nassau, and other properly sized 40mm Sub homages
    Seamaster 300 (1960's flavour or Watchco version)
    Seamaster 2254, 2531, etc.
    CWC Royal Navy diver
    PRS-82

And I've just seen this thread on the Zodiac Seawolf reissue, which at 39mm might be perfect for you.

As for divers I've owned or tried on that were too big - well, the Steinhart 42mm models, the Black Bay, and the SubC jump immediately to mind. All were too much for me, for various reasons involving both physical size and personal taste.

- Matt

Craftsman
    All great advice here.

I've a 6.5" wrist size too and have also thought a Speedy Pro as an acceptable upper limit having tried one a few weeks ago.

Also tried a Black Bay and Pelagos and while big, in my !mind they were not too big ( though that might be because I really one one of them!)

Thread is properly bookmarked, thanks all

Go vintage? Plenty of options there.

Craftsman
    Rolex Submariner 5513 on leather strap.

Blog Entries
    Maybe something vintage?

About 38mm across on my 6 3/4" wrist

Seiko - 6458-600A

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    The Heuer/Tag Heuer 1000 series quartz divers are classic diver style watches and at 36mm and 38mm are a great size for the smaller wrist.
    I can vouch for these, as someone with tiny 6.5'' wrists who's owned one, these full lume Heuer night divers are seriously cool and 'size appropriate' (although I think you should wear whatever you're comfortable with!), the 1000 series can be found on the Bay for quite reasonable prices

Did I mention they're seriously cool? :P

Sinn U200. 37mm case might be just about small enough for OP's wrists.

https://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/U200.htm