closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A short-lived Omega Speedmaster '57 purchase...

Master

A short-lived Omega Speedmaster '57 purchase...

Whilst in Switzerland, I spotted a heads-up on here for a Speedmaster '57. It was a similar price to Iconic but that didn't matter to me as it was a model I'd been after for a while, and I'd prefer to buy direct through an AD if possible.

A couple of days after arriving back in the UK, the watch was delivered and I have to admit, I was genuinely excited. I was also sceptical as to whether it would fit my wrist though as I'd tried on the SM300 which has similar lugs, and that didn't wear right at all.

So I unpacked it all and instantly liked the design. The main thing that stood out straight away was obviously the dial. In the AD windows, it always looks a very deep blue but in reality, it isn't so much. It has a sunburst effect so it does change hue when you move it around, but even so, it was nothing like what I expected in natural light. It looked totally different, and generally had more of a blue-grey appearance most of the time. Also, the red hands on the dial always looked like cheap plastic IMO in the AD windows, but actually they look better in natural light as well, so I didn't mind them as much as I expected to.

The movement is the 9300 Co-Axial. I love this. It's a solid movement with a robust "click" to the pushers and good accuracy. Lum is a strong point for Omega but this was a tad disappointing on the '57 as on the minute hand there is only the slightest line of lime running along it.

So this was looking good up to now, but alas it wasn't to be. Those lugs were just as I expected. Bare in mind, this is "only" a 41mm watch officially, and I regularly wear 44mm watches on my 6.75" wrist. I even own a Seiko SUN019 which is rated as 48mm or so, but has integrated lugs.

Unfortunately, the '57 lugs not only protrude far out of the case, but there are also very thick and just drop down at the end. They are not at all tapered, just like the SM300.

Therefore it wears too large for me if I'm honest, and I returned it to the store this evening as a result. Pretty disappointing but it would have been worse had I bought it and been unable to return it.

Here's how it wears...

So it's a shame, as I really did like the design and functionality of the watch, but if you're in the market, just make sure you try one on before buying.

Master
    These look great and your pictures pick out the dial beautifully.

You're right though - it does, unfortunately, look a little big on your wrist.

Apprentice
    Great pics and review, shame it didn't work out for you as its a lovely looking watch.

Journeyman
    It's an attractive watch but I too would have returned it. The picture from the side gives the impression of the watch floating above your wrist rather than hugging it, not a good look!
    Last edited by Joy; 6th April 2015 at 22:25.

Journeyman
    It's a pity that watch companies don't include the lug to lug dimensions. To me, with small wrists, it's the most important dimension of a watch and makes all the difference when deciding if a watch will fit or not.

Great review, and as previously stated you where right to return

Grand Master
    It looks nice head-on, but very uncomfortable to wear. Good for storing a couple of pencils though :).
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

What a total pain in the a**s. Cracking watch but those lugs...

Craftsman
    I really like it but alas I have the same small wrist syndrom

Master
    The right decision made, mate - definitely too big.

Master
    Glad you all agree... I felt it made my already thin wrist look more like a twig

I thought about this watch too, great price, lovely dial AND 41mm. The SM300 fits me just fine so this has proved to be an interesting read ..l

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Here's how it wears...

IMO looks too large but a lot of people really like that look and feel this is how a watch should be worn, my view is if your wrists feel comfortable and you like it wear it.

Shame you didn't gel with it.

W44NNE, have you seen the high end Tags available from Beaverbrooks?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by christech81 View Post
    ...my view is if your wrists feel comfortable and you like it wear it...
    Yes definitely the correct way to view things, although in this case it just wasn't comfortable unfortunately.

I have an old Heuer and there's literally only one TAG Heuer I would consider at the "right" price, but that won't be likely seen in a sale

Journeyman
    Really nice photos. I have been after that model for a while until now. It looks too thick and i have similar wrist to yours. Glad I didnt pull a trigger in the past as i would be regretting now.

Too bad it turned a tad too big for you. It is a lovely watch and some great pics there.
    For me it is a pleasant surprise when a 41mm watch wears bigger than its size.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    What a total pain in the a**s. Cracking watch but those lugs...
    Cracking watch but those wrists, joking, lovely watch

Great watch and a shame it does not fit i had the same experience with the master co-axial seamaster, glad you were able to return it easy enough.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post

I have never seen in my life a watch sitting so badly on someone's wrist. Awful design indeed and great decision you made returning the watch.

Master
    Looks a great piece, but damn it did fit pretty badly didn't it. Made the right decision

Journeyman
    Did you buy online? as ADs are not really keen to accept watch back because you didn't like it. Watch is really thick and that's the main problem. If, they could
    remove the rotor and do that watch as manual chrono, reduce sapphire caseback thickness, that would make a great purchase.

Grand Master
    Another example of how watches are now getting too damned big. It's crazy, anyone with smaller than average wrists (and that includes me) will struggle to buy many of the new watches.

Can`t say I liked this one when I first saw it. The dial's far too fussy, far too much going on, too many colour contrasts. It's a mess. And as for the price........

Paul

Master
    That does look hideously large on your wrist doesn't it? Definitely falls into the "clown watch" category.

Unfortunate when a dream fails to come true, but better to have loved and lost etc.

No surprise there, Wayne - it's exactly what I found with the SM300 reissue, and these new lugs are definitely a problem for some of us.

Beautiful photos, by the way.

Master
    You have to wonder if that watch would actually provide a decent fit on anyone's wrists... The deep caseback and curved lugs suggest it would not....

Master
    Really like that dial colour, but too big for me as well. Don't like the design of the hands either.

Master
    To my eyes the depth of that watch, at the back, contributes more to the fit than the lug-to-lug. Each to their own but I wouldn’t go for that look myself.

Master
    I agree with the above comment. You could get away with the lug-to-lug fit, but it's the thickness of the watch that lets it down. It's standing way to proud on your wrist.

Yep such a shame that Omega have had to make the watches so thick to get the newer co-axial movement in. I love the styling but again way too thick for my wrists.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    Yep such a shame that Omega have had to make the watches so thick to get the newer co-axial movement in. I love the styling but again way too thick for my wrists.
    The movement isn't that thick - it's thinner than a 7750. The watch is thick because of the styling and the unusual bowlback crystal used on the underside. Some added thickness comes from the hand stack that needs to be higher to clear a subdial with two hands, not one, but that doesn't add very much.

Journeyman

Great thread!

WAUW!!! Those pictures man!!!! Huge thumbs up!!!

I agree with the You (as well as most responses here) that it is indeed too large..

I myself have thought about the 311.32.40.30.01.001 which seems lovely at around 40mm...

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    The movement isn't that thick - it's thinner than a 7750. The watch is thick because of the styling and the unusual bowlback crystal used on the underside. Some added thickness comes from the hand stack that needs to be higher to clear a subdial with two hands, not one, but that doesn't add very much.
    I wish they'd fix it then! As so many of their current line-up seem overly thick to me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    I wish they'd fix it then! As so many of their current line-up seem overly thick to me.
    I know what you mean: I find it frustrating as there doesn’t seem to be anything inherent to the 8500-derived movements which forces them to put a glass bubble on the back – some of the casebacks are almost completely flat (e.g. the Hour Vision) and even the display back on the Planet Ocean is reasonably sized given the depth rating.

I do quite like the aesthetic of the “bowl” casebacks from a visual perspective, but they’ve really made it hard for me to like the 9300-driven Speedmasters as a practical proposition.

When I tried one in the shop I didn't like how it sat so high on my 7" wrist.

Craftsman
    You must be a magnet for the ladies to have those wrists dude! Jeez.