closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: should I buy a TT convertible

Master

should I buy a TT convertible

And if yes is there anything I should look out for??

My opinion,

No - If you want a TT buy a coupe ;)

Master
    Given there are 3 generations of TT now, multiple engine, gearbox, drivetrain combinations it's impossible to give any advice without knowing which one you are actually looking to buy?

If you want.

Look out for dodgy cars.
    Gray

Foxy will be along soon to suggest a MX-5.

Personally I find them a bit girly, so why not get a older MB SL, or perhaps a Boxster.

If you want a TT get the coupe.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    I too think the coupe - looks much nicer

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Yeah.
    Then you should become a hairdresser and get yourself a lovely twink boyfriend called Stefan.

No, its a mincers car

Depends which one; old ones are slightly effeminate ;-). The newer tts is very good fun, and just about ok for a bloke.

Banned
    I can't stand convertibles so it would be a no from me.

Master
    Get the coupe. Excellent cars.

Craftsman
    Mk1 coupe!

Master
    I've had the mk1 180, mk1 3.2 and I'm currently on the mk2 TTS. All coupe. I'm not that fussed on the shape of the convertibles but I love the TT coupe.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Yeah.
    Then you should become a hairdresser and get yourself a lovely twink boyfriend called Stefan.
    Hahahahahahahahhaha

Funny

Really.

- - - Updated - - -

And why ask such a wide question. Why do you want one? Do you even want one?

What are you after?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Hahahahahahahahhaha

Funny

Really.

- - - Updated - - -

And why ask such a wide question. Why do you want one? Do you even want one?

What are you after?
    I asked because I wanted to read the replies to the question. I like open motoring and have not had a tt yet. I'll only be spending around 6k on one but do fancy the 3.2. Not too bothered by references to hairdressers etc as I am confident with my sexuality thanks :0)

Master
    Go for it Red, you can't beat open top motoring whether it's an mx5, boxster, s2000, or TT although
    I do prefer the two sweater convertibles to family ones. Never looked at the tt convertible but I think they all look great and like most older convertibles now the 3.2 offers great value for money with that lovely engine, if you find a good un. The mark 1s do remind me of the Daihatsu Copen a little though, although this is also a cracking little car by all accounts. Good luck with your search.

Master
    My wife is on her third consecutive one, and on the rare occasions I drive it, I do enjoy it (I have an A4 convertible). So yhes - do try it.

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    I asked because I wanted to read the replies to the question. I like open motoring and have not had a tt yet. I'll only be spending around 6k on one but do fancy the 3.2. Not too bothered by references to hairdressers etc as I am confident with my sexuality thanks :0)
    For what it's worth I used to have a mk1 roadster. I loved it but I only had the 150bhp model. I ended up spending a lot on getting it to how I wanted it to be so should have bought the better model at the time. I've since had a mk2 coupe and will be getting a mk3 as soon as the special editions come out (back edition etc). So I am a fan of the tt.

I think the mk1 looks a bit dated now but it is still a great car and is a future classic.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    I think the mk1 looks a bit dated now but it is still a great car and is a future classic.
    I agree, do you remember how cool it looked when it came out?

Yes, OP, do it. Good cars. If it were me I'd go for the Mk1 225.

If you go for a TT it would have to be a coupe , but a rag top for me I went for a S2000 over a Boxster
    These are my 2 roadsters

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I agree, do you remember how cool it looked when it came out?

Yes, OP, do it. Good cars. If it were me I'd go for the Mk1 225.
    I do yes stood out massively from anything else. First time I saw one on the road was in Italy and I was just awe struck. Had always wanted one from that day but wish I'd have bought the coupe too.

Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    If you go for a TT it would have to be a coupe , but a rag top for me I went for a S2000 over a Boxster
    These are my 2 roadsters
    Sorry for the mini hijack but how do you find the smart? Always been tempted by one of these.

Craftsman
    If your set on it then that's the one for you. Try pistonheads forum or a TT forum for advice and pitfalls

Master
    Thanks for the feedback guys, off to autotrader etc now :0)

Craftsman
    Good luck with the hunt. For what it's worth I would have to echo what quite a few others have said and recommend the Mk I TT 225 coupe. Cracking little car!

Master
    Caution: You might want to read last week's AutoExpress where at least two owners have had all sorts of electrical problems with the current model. One guy finally rejected his car.

Nothing much reported by "Honest John" >> http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar.../?section=good
    Last edited by UKMike; 12th April 2015 at 13:26.

TT

I've had 6 of them I. Various forms

Avoid auto at all costs - ecu can fry and its £2k just for the part - I know as it happened to me

Door regulators are a mate on them - just google Audi TT electric window probs - so ensure you are aware of it

Make sure the instrument pod works ok as there was a recall on it

Motors on hoods can go and are expensive

I'd never buy another rag top one - my 57 plate had over £10k of good will repairs off audi and it was audi approved

I now have a 61 plate Tdi coupe version and after a sticky start with the dealer and a bodged repair on something they broke its now a peach

Buy the 225 and make sure it's had the water pump and cam done at about 60k
    They will have been done at same time as one has to come out to do the other

Get a good warranty and enjoy

The TT forum normaly is a good place to stsrt

Had several TT's over the years, last one was a 61 plate TTS roadster (mrs Goats) nice car with power hood, 272bhp and lots of torque too (for a 2,0 litre, anyway) I'd have another.
    Personally I'd avoid the v6 models as they have no more power or torque than the (s3 derived) 272bhp ones and they tend to feel nose heavy.
    They sound quite good though!

no, no and no. not cool.

Master
    Yes, I would and did and only just sold it after buying it new in 2001.

Great cars and I still reckon the Mk1 looks the best.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had a red Mk1 3.2 DSG coupe. Quite simply superb. Not the quickest or most powerful car ive ever had but great fun and highly recommended.

If you go for the 3.2, check the gearbox is in order, especially early ones. I was lucky!! VERY VERY expensive to fix!!

As for differences between soft top or coupe, i have an S4 cab now which i had at the time of the TT. Cabs are great and i can recommend them in general.

You had nice choices to make. Lucky you 👍😀

Jim

I currently have an 02 plate 225 coupe, a lot can and does go wrong with these cars, have spent a fortune on mine including new turbo, thermostat, dashpod binnacle, haldex - the list goes on, but for a car that has 140k on the clock you expect things to wrong, but it still drives like it only has 50k on it. The interior is robust and looks remarkable given the age and mileage. These cars are seriously cheap right now, really bottomed out - many believe the Mark 1 to be a future classic, not the most engaging car to drive round corners, but still great fun. Worth spending £250 on a professional remap to bring the power up to 250-260 horsepower. You can't really go wrong, just make sure you buy a good one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwellwd View Post
    I currently have an 02 plate 225 coupe, a lot can and does go wrong with these cars, have spent a fortune on mine including new turbo, thermostat, dashpod binnacle, haldex - the list goes on, but for a car that has 140k on the clock you expect things to wrong, but it still drives like it only has 50k on it. The interior is robust and looks remarkable given the age and mileage. These cars are seriously cheap right now, really bottomed out - many believe the Mark 1 to be a future classic, not the most engaging car to drive round corners, but still great fun. Worth spending £250 on a professional remap to bring the power up to 250-260 horsepower. You can't really go wrong, just make sure you buy a good one.
    I can only agree with the above.

I have an 02 plate 225 Roadster bought new. Remapped to about 260bhp and now on only 65k miles. Only major failure was gearbox at 50k.

Loads of fun and good value now second hand.

As with all pre owned make sure you know what you are buying !!

Daughter has had a coupe for three months, looks well built, side skirts seem prone to picking up blemishes, Suspension bushes seem to be a biggie, undertrays seem to go missing, check that the headlight washers work, they are made from cheese and are fairly expensive to put right.

Master
    A remap really brings the 225bhp coupe alive. Mine did over 150k before needing a new clutch.
    Driving a standard car feels a bit flat, so the 150bhp version must be very dreary.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    yes, if you look like this on your days off,

I have a MK1 225 quattro coupe. I think in a lot of ways it's been through a stage of looking a bit dated and it's started to look modern again.

It turns a lot of heads for a car that's only worth a couple of grand.

I'm thinking about selling my mk1 54 plate 150 roadster in the next few weeks. Owned since new, 18,000 miles if anyone is interested...

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    There's a £4k Boxster s on SC, that'll drive better and be at least as reliable....

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    Caution: You might want to read last week's AutoExpress where at least two owners have had all sorts of electrical problems with the current model. One guy finally rejected his car.

Nothing much reported by "Honest John" >> http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar.../?section=good
    Current model, ie mk3 with TFT dashboard???