closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is this a military watch ?

Is this a military watch ?

I'd be very pleased if anyone can tell me anything about this Le Coultre watch. I've been told that it might have been a military watch, but it doesn't have a broad arrow on the back of the press-on case, or anything else to show that this could be so.

The case has a chromed finish, not stainless steel. I've been told that it has a 470 calibre number; 252349 is the movement number and all that is on the back of the case is the number 180283. It does NOT say 6B/159 on the back. The bars holding the strap on are not fixed to the watch.

Were many of these produced ? Is it a miltary watch ? Does it have much of a value ? Is it of reasonable quality ? How old is it ?

Although many of my friends call it a 'Grandad watch' I rather like it - I'd never sell it.

The LeCoultre was sitting in a drawer for over 50 years. My father gave it to me and told me to do with it what I wished.

I had the watch 'overhauled' (a good clean) by a watch repairer recently. The case was rechromed, the glass had some slight scratches taken out, but the face (dial) was left alone. I did ask him if the dial should be cleaned, but he told me that with a clean glass and rechromed case, the face would automatically look better. In real life, the face looks slightly yellower than in the photo and does actually have two specs of dirt on it. The flash has made it look whiter and cleaner than it actually is. IF it has been re-dialled, it was done over 50 years ago.

I'd be very pleased to receive any information on this watch.

Best Wishes,

Andy (On the border of England & Wales)

Thomas Reid

Re: Is this a military watch ?

If your father gave it to you, and he wore it in the service, then, in my book, it counts as a military watch.

The last watch I saw on an actual military person, up close and personal like, was on the train (I spend a lot of time on trains). It was a young man, wearing light brown camouflage, and wearing what looked to be canvas boots. He was with a couple of mates similarly dressed. (And, by God, they were young.) He had on a gilt rectangular watch of maybe 32/34 mm with a gilt flat bracelet. It could have been the watch of his girl friend/wife. (It went fetchingly with the brown/tan of the uniform. ;)) On my view, it was a military watch, although not issued, I suspect.

Best wishes,
    Bob