closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Induction or gas hob??

Master

Induction or gas hob??

Investigating kitchen options at the moment and the option of an induction hob has taken my wife's fancy. I don't know much about them and have always used gas. We were looking at a 5 burner gas hob until the induction came into the picture.

Other than the fact that you need specific pans to use on an induction hob, has anyone else been through the same decision? There also seem to be lots of options on induction hobs so any opinions on what to look out for would be useful.

Cheers

Craftsman
    Always gas hob and electric oven for me. We have just had a quote for a new kitchen with a 7 ring gas burner, looks sexy if there is such a thing as a sexy burner!

Gas deffo. Personally I would prefer a ceramic to an induction hob also.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by diver527 View Post
    Always gas hob and electric oven for me. We have just had a quote for a new kitchen with a 7 ring gas burner, looks sexy if there is such a thing as a sexy burner!
    A 7-ring burner? Show us then!!

Oh easy one, induction all the way.

We have an Aga with electric ovens and induction hob. Far faster and more responsive than anything else. It will bring a pan of water from cold to boiling in under sixty seconds - incredible to watch.

And absolutely minimal effort to wipe clean as opposed to gas burners which are a right faff.

Only issue was this beast required an uprated power supply (72 amps!) as opposed to a usual cooker supply which is around 30 amps I believe.
    Last edited by TheFlyingBanana; 12th April 2015 at 18:46.

Master
    We bought the cheapest induction hob they had in Currys a while back when we needed a new hob quickly and haven't looked back. It gets stuff hot very quickly (it boils water as quick as if not quicker than the kettle) and is very quick to react when adjusting the setting up or down. It even has a built in timer. We did have to replace some pans but some we already had were compatible.

I always prefered gas but this would have been too much hassle for us but I'm glad we have induction now. Another major plus for induction is that it's so easy to clean.

Induction hob! The best thing I've ever bought for the kitchen. So fast, we got rid of the electric kettle. Ours is a Siemans. Induction hobs are the most efficient way to cook. Our bills have gone down since too. Can't recommend them more highly.

Induction all the way. It's the best job we've ever had.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I went for a 4 ring Neff induction hob, it was about £500. Its great, it will boil a large saucepan of water far faster than gas or electric, temperature is contrallable instantly and easy to keep clean.

Investigate carefully before you make a decision. I was going to get the one down (around £400 IIRC) but due to its lower power rating, the power boost function flicks between rings. In order to have a full power one you will probably need a dedicated power supply from the mains box.

Master
    Ok, I hear you!

So, let's assume it's induction for the moment, what options or features are worth having?

I am still keen to see this 7 ring gas burner though!

Journeyman
    Gas, its better for sealing the edge of leather and burning the ends off stuff. Personally I find it consistent and controllable.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You may want features such as:

Power boost
    Timer
    Lock
    Residual heat indicator
    A feeling of smugness when you realise how good they are.

Master
    Five ring Siemens induction hob here, very happy with it better than ceramic and easier to clean than gas.

Quite a few of the world's top chefs are using induction now. Less heat in the kitchen for staff, safer, quicker, cleaner, who wants to clean burnt on food? and more efficient than gas, and just as controllable.
    Few of my friends have gone induction and all rave about them.

Craftsman
    Go for induction. Easy to control and virtually impossible to burn yourself on them.

We are on our second Neff Hob. The first one lasted about 10 years and we had no reservations replacing with a near identical model. John Lewis are worth looking at - We got free fitting / the old one taken away and a free set of pans (allegedly worth £120 )

Induction are great but check the existing wiring is up to the job first

Craftsman
    I'm an installation manager for a high quality kitchen company. About 90% of our kitchens have induction hobs. They're easy to clean and very efficient. If you have kids the glass cools down very quickly after the power is turned off. The only downside is the amount of power they can draw on start up (upto 10kw) so you may need a dedicated supply.

We went for an induction when we got a new kitchen a couple of years ago. Don't regret it at all and echo all the positive comments above.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Blog Entries
    Both...? I've 3 domino hobs - gas, induction and an indoor barbecue

Induction is great for extreme power and being very gentle... Can replace a slow cooker and can also reduce sauces really quickly...

I still like gas for other stuff, especially when using wok style pans etc

Other advantage of induction is that you can recover some worktop to use an induction plate kettle... Super quick too!

My sister has an induction hob & I have a gas one. Having cooked on both I'd take her hob any day, any time.

We replaced a gas hob with a 5 ring neff induction. It's brilliant, no burning, safer with kids and efficient. Look at options, if you're putting in a new kitchen you can get a standard sized hob and then a dual burner or wok hob next to it. Neff do lots of variables.

Craftsman
    My bad it was six not seven, it's this one,

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/built-i...150412195839:s

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Gas deffo. Personally I would prefer a ceramic to an induction hob also.
    Why? That's ancient tech and takes ages to heat anything up.

I worked on a shoot with heston blumethal and in his rider it stipulated a gaggenau induction hob. Yes, i'm sure he gets paid handsomely for his endorsement but he seemed to genuinely like it. Also, he said in a professional kitchen they stop it getting excessively hot, because you only ever heat the thing you intend to, there is zero loss of energy.

Gas!

I now have an induction, as there were some issues with the gas, and it is nowhere near as good IMO.

But there could well be different quality induction hobs, as in Thailand a few weeks ago, some friends and I did a Thai cooking class, and the induction hobs they had were fierce, heated up hotter and quicker than gas, but gas is still my preference.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Oh easy one, induction all the way.

We have an Aga with electric ovens and induction hob. Far faster and more responsive than anything else. It will bring a pan of water from cold to boiling in under sixty seconds - incredible to watch.
    Wow!

There are certainly different qualities of induction then!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    there is a reason why Chefs only use Gas.........

and there is a reason why every Kitchen from your local café to the Ritz use gas..........

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post

and there is a reason why every Kitchen from your local café to the Ritz use gas..........

Yep.

Gas for me every time. And even if I did want a hob, my wife would still insist on gas!

"Cook-, cook-, cook-, cook-ability, that's the beauty of gas!"

Craftsman
    Good Induction hob is the way to go. Very happy with our Neff. Super efficient, easily controllable and a doddle to clean. I always said i wouldn't stray from gas until I moved to a house with an induction hob. Takes a little while to get used to, but after a while its literally cooking by numbers (you learn what power setting to use for different foods, and pretty much just set it and leave it).

Master
    I've used both and I prefer gas every time....

Master
    The Neff induction ones have this cool feature. Obviously you can lose it but it you get the benefit of a twisty knob with the ability to have clean lines when not using it.

http://www.neff.co.uk/features-point-twist.html

Bit off topic but have any gas-lovers tried Flare pans? Seems a brilliant invention:-

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/p19500/Flare-Pans.

I bought a cheap induction hotplate (single ring) because we have an electric hob and you simply can't control the heat on electric. The induction is used mainly to cook curry in a cast iron wok and it never burns and never sticks. Unfortunately it's also cost me a set of Le Crueset cast iron pans as well.

Don't forget that if you're going induction, your aluminium, copper and most of your stainless steel pans won't work (unless they have a sandwich base).

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I bought a cheap induction hotplate (single ring) because we have an electric hob and you simply can't control the heat on electric. The induction is used mainly to cook curry in a cast iron wok and it never burns and never sticks. Unfortunately it's also cost me a set of Le Crueset cast iron pans as well.

Don't forget that if you're going induction, your aluminium, copper and most of your stainless steel pans won't work (unless they have a sandwich base).

Eddie
    wow, I genuinely didn't know this, so I guess there is specific pans you can use, like ceramic?

EDIT: just googled it, seemingly you can use some steel pans as you stated, but they have to be heavy duty 18/10 stainless steel construction with 7mm impact bonded base.
    Last edited by soundood; 14th April 2015 at 08:27.

Gas all the way. Petal recently moved from induction to gas ahhhh the relief, so much nicer to cook on. They look a lot carper but do the job better.

Craftsman
    Induction is the way forward. Had a new kitchen put in last year and apart from having to change all the pans there has not been an issue. My wife swears by it and if it keeps her happy....

Replaced a SMEG gas unit with a Siemens induction hob about a year ago and never looked back. So much nicer, easier and safer to cook on. Most restaurants with open kitchens are switching to induction over here btw (yes, even Michelin star restaurants).

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    That's odd Eddie. We use our wooden handle LeCrueset pans (ie original ones) on our induction Aga all the time, and not had any issue at all. Weird that you have.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    That's odd Eddie. We use our wooden handle LeCrueset pans (ie original ones) on our induction Aga all the time, and not had any issue at all. Weird that you have.
    I think he means he had to buy a set, we use original LeCrueset pans too, they work well.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I think he means he had to buy a set, we use original LeCrueset pans too, they work well.
    Ah, I get it now! 😃

Is an induction hob (or any electric hob) healthier for the immediate/household environment? By this I mean:
    1. Surely the combustion of the gas depletes the amount of oxygen in the air of the kitchen.
    2. Surely the products of gas combustion are deposited into the air of the kitchen.

This seems so obvious that I might be in danger of getting flamed for the stupidity of my question, but my burning curiosity is getting me all hot under the collar.

Craftsman
    Gas for us - we enjoy the wok style stir fries

We have induction and gas. Our induction hob doesn't go hot enough to make tablet, the gas hob does. Other than that little foible, I prefer induction. It might be that we have a less powerful model of course (Siemens, installed by previous owners)

Master
    Another vote for induction - very responsive, easy to use and keep clean.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    We have induction and gas. Our induction hob doesn't go hot enough to make tablet, the gas hob does. Other than that little foible, I prefer induction. It might be that we have a less powerful model of course (Siemens, installed by previous owners)
    Make what now?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Make what now?
    Tablet
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman

Was just about to say this but thought I would check the replies so far as would be amazed if no one else had pointed this out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Tablet
    That's what I thought he wrote... I usually get mine from Boots...
    Cheers..
    Jase