closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Tv Advice

Journeyman

New Tv Advice

Looking to buy a new TV and have narrowed it down to three and was looking for some advice to which of them you would buy.

Here are links to the three

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-....html#longDesc

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-...pdt.html#cat-0

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-...pdt.html#cat-0

Thanks all.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I mean its difficult, because the obvious choice is the 4K TV, but much like HD 1080p/720p its a long way off from having it as a broadcast norm, we are hardly in a HD broadcast environment yet, but if you watch blu-ray and can upgrade your player so that it upscales to 4K then you will be very happy indeed,

also go into store and have a look, some of the 4K's I have seen look a little wishy washy to me,

I am about to buy a new TV as well, and put a list together of what I need,

wifi
    smart TV(Netflix etc)
    min 42 inch
    LED
    wall mountable
    lightweight

you get the drift, this way I can tick of the requirements and achieve the lowest price.

I am going to go with this one, which is similar to your first suggestion, only a 42 inch, £50 more from john lewis, but with a 5 years warranty, which is rock solid.

http://www.johnlewis.com/lg-42ub820v...ew-hd/p1653110
    Last edited by soundood; 18th April 2015 at 12:27.

Funnily enough , me and the wife are away in Bath for the weekend and the apartment had a Samsung smart 48 inch LEDand we are blown away by the picture quality compared to our aged (8 years ) Panasonic Plasma. We've already started looking for one online and John Lewis has one for £699 Samsung UE48H6700.

Samsung ue48h6400 here. Lovely TV, sound could be better but a great looking item and the HD is very good once adjusted. I'm happy with it and not too bothered by the ensuing 4k tech, yet...

Menu functions well and interface is speedy.

I just ordered a 50 inch Sony Bravia, from John Lewis.(it will be delivered next Thursday). I wasn't bothered about the new 4K thingy! so just got a normal smart T.V. The reason I chose buying from John Lewis, was (as already mentioned!) they give you a 5 year guarantee.

So...obviously Id recommend buying one from John Lewis as opposed to somewhere like Currys.............as for which model...........I spent about 2 or 3 weeks deciding which one to buy!

Blog Entries
    Sorry for the stupid question, but how would a 4k television perform with normal HD programs and DVDs? While waiting to upgrade to bluray - and waiting for proper 4k broacasting.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Sorry for the stupid question, but how would a 4k television perform with normal HD programs and DVDs? While waiting to upgrade to bluray - and waiting for proper 4k broacasting.
    This is the real question. The TVs upconvert the signal, spreading the available picture across the available screen area. This function is called scaling, and is the one thing that counts so much and you can't read the outside of the box and get any idea of how good/bad it is. A good scaler will do 2 things, not screw up a really good image, and not make a really bad image look worse. As a general rule, Sony's DRC scaler is the best at that second one. Samsung and Vizio tend to do well with the first. LG does not excel in either.

The only LG TVs I ever recommend are the new OLED sets, where LG owns a better technology than anything else available; and huge TV sets (84", 98", and 105"), where they are the only game in town. The big Sharp's (80"and 90") are dreadful.

Good article on similar US models.
    http://www.cnet.com/topics/tvs/best-...cture-quality/

Another vote for the Samsung ue48h6400 - we've just go one and it's superb.

Journeyman
    That's for all the advice and suggestions. Will have a look at the Samsung that everyone recommends. Quick look online shows it for about £550, good price?

That first one is available on Amazon.de for £319 ish.
    That includes delivery from its UK base but I think it comes with a European plug.
    Well worth it for the savings.