closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Specific Pocket Knife (Swiss Army Style) Recommendation Needed

Master

Specific Pocket Knife (Swiss Army Style) Recommendation Needed

Hi all,

I am looking for a basic swiss army style knife to take with me when I go road cycling, so needs to be thin enough to slip into a tight jersey pocket (or saddle bag) and not weight much.

It's purely for emergencies*, so I am thinking the following would be useful;

1) bladed knife
    2) pliers (not essential)
    3) scissors (not essential)
    4) pokey tools (!! sorry dont know what else to call them)

Links to Amazon would be appreciated as I have Prime.

Obviously I have searched on Amazon, but first hand recommendations would be great.

Thanks!

Adrian.

* first aid uses, cutting rubber tubes, prizing bits of glass out of tyres - that sort of thing which you cant predict, but would make life easier. I have a cycling specific multi-tool with allen keys etc.

I use this one for watch related emergencies but probably not what you are looking for.
    My main tool has been a Leatherman for many years.
    My main one is a Charge Ti but the Squirt PS4 or micra are both useful and key ring sized.
    Last edited by Dr_Niss; 3rd May 2015 at 18:07.

I like Victorinox myself. Swisschamp has everything but is a bit bulky, perhaps a Victorinox Spartan (not many tools but easy to carry) or Deluxe Tinker might fit the bill. The Workchamp is also cool but big & with it's locking blade not legal carry.
    I have a Swisschamp & Spartan, they're great & very useful.

Dave

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY View Post
    I like Victorinox myself
    sorry, when I said "Swiss Army Knife" I meant that as a generic term - any brand at all will suffice.

I have a leatherman in my day bag, and a chinky swiss army knife in the car, but I need something slender for my cycling.

Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY View Post
    perhaps a Victorinox Spartan (not many tools but easy to carry) or Deluxe Tinker might fit the bill.
    Thanks Dave - will "amazon" these now and have a look!

Master
    This looks perfect but may be a bit chunky (will google images shortly to try and get an idea of bulk)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-D...+tinker+deluxe

Failing that this looks great (no pliers though)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-1...orinox+spartan

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Niss View Post
    +1 Leatherman.

Simply better built and more reliable than almost any other multitools out there. Also, plenty of models to choose from.

The Wave has all-locking blades and tools, which you'll appreciate if you've ever tried to do up a screw with a folding screwdriver that kept collapsing on your fingers.

Maybe normal Tinker or the Super Tinker (which I think has scissors but no pliers) might fit the bill.

Oddly I've never been a fan of Leathermans I have a Supertool & don't rate it.

Good luck with the search.

Dave

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    +1 Leatherman.

Simply better built and more reliable than almost any other multitools out there. Also, plenty of models to choose from.

The Wave has all-locking blades and tools, which you'll appreciate if you've ever tried to do up a screw with a folding screwdriver that kept collapsing on your fingers.
    As per my OP my specific requirement is that it's for cycling emergencies so needs to be slim & light, to fit into a tight lycra jersey pocket! But thanks for the input. (have had a leatherman for many, many years - its still as new - think it might be a Wave, but it's far, far too big & heavy for a roadie to carry!)

Master

Might be a bit big, but tool wise, is perfect.

I actually think this might be the one I have in the car... will need to check.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you want light and pliers, look at the Leatherman. PS4. You could add it to a zip for easy carry.

It is key ring tool sized but I find the pliers very good. The scissors are tiny and the blade is small, but the blade can be accessed without opening the tool. If scissors are important, the Micra is great (albeit no pliers)

I have both and rate the, highly. Neither as functional as my Charge TTi but they are substantially lighter!

I regularly carry the SAK Tinker but has neither scissors nor pliers so no use to you in this case. I THINK the Deluxe Tinker is the thinnest SAK with pliers. This will be a LOt larger than the PS4 mind you.

Master
    Hiker looks ideal, size wise (shame no pliers)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    If you want light and pliers, look at the Leatherman. PS4. You could add it to a zip for easy carry.

It is key ring tool sized but I find the pliers very good. The scissors are tiny and the blade is small, but the blade can be accessed without opening the tool. If scissors are important, the Micra is great (albeit no pliers)

I have both and rate the, highly. Neither as functional as my Charge TTi but they are substantially lighter!

I regularly carry the SAK Tinker but has neither scissors nor pliers so no use to you in this case. I THINK the Deluxe Tinker is the thinnest SAK with pliers. This will be a LOt larger than the PS4 mind you.
    Wow!

This might be perfect!

Given it is just for on-the-road emergencies (and as such will hopefully never get used in anger), it may well be perfect! Thanks!

The Victorinox Mechanic is a nice thing but not generally available in the UK ( more often seen in U.S or Europe). It has pliers but no scissors, so isn't too bulky. Might be available on non UK Amazon (also does very occasionally crop up on UK Amazon but sells quickly).

Dave

Specific Pocket Knife (Swiss Army Style) Recommendation Needed

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    As per my OP my specific requirement is that it's for cycling emergencies so needs to be slim & light, to fit into a tight lycra jersey pocket!
    Yes, I got that bit. I wasn't suggesting a full-on Leatherman, just saying it's a good brand, and pointing out there are smaller models available. I see you like the PS4 - that's exactly what I had in mind.

Master
    Yes, I got that bit. I wasn't suggesting a full-on Leatherman, just saying it's a good brand, and pointing out there are smaller models available. I see you like the PS4 - that's exactly what I had in mind.
    Ahh, until the PS4 was suggested I had no idea they did mini-tools - this is indeed the one I have now ordered! So apologies!

Amazon Prime promises to have it here Tuesday morning, for £29 all in! Cant beat that!

Craftsman
    This
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000...2vL&ref=plSrch

Incase you are ever on the scene of an accident?

I use this one for watch related emergencies but probably not what you are looking for.
    My main one is a Charge Ti but the Squirt PS4 or micra are both useful and key ring sized.
    What is this model of Wenger please?

Quote Originally Posted by rgee View Post
    What is this model of Wenger please?
    It's a Minathor 50. The tools are made by Bergeon. I bought it from a french seller on eBay.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Ahh, until the PS4 was suggested I had no idea they did mini-tools - this is indeed the one I have now ordered! So apologies!

Amazon Prime promises to have it here Tuesday morning, for £29 all in! Cant beat that!
    Good choice, I have either a PS4 squirt or Micra with me most of the time.
    I find the micra is a bit smaller (thinner) the blade is sharper & the bigger scissors are great, but the PS4 pliers do come in handy often.

Always take this British Army job with me. 2.5 inch cutting blade, bottle/can opener (essential) and giant pointed spike for getting stones out of horses hooves. Love mine.

It's a Minathor 50. The tools are made by Bergeon. I bought it from a french seller on eBay.
    Thank you.

Don't tease, these are almost impossible to find!

Some really cool tools on this thread. Love that Wenger Minathor and the simplicity of the British Army Knife really does it for me.

Master
    +1 Leatherman.

Disagree , I have a leatherman Ti as my backup but the swisschamp stays with me. the blades hold their edge much better with the swiss.

Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    Don't tease, these are almost impossible to find!
    Sorry, not looked for a couple of years since I bought mine. She now only has spares for it on sale at present.

The Alox Cadet knives are very slim profile but minimal tools.

http://www.bergzeit.co.uk/victorinox...FarKtAodeV8A_Q

Master
    Leatherman PS4 arrived yesterday, and it's fantastic!

It is much smaller than I had imagined (a good thing) but packs a real punch, it loaded with tools and feels very solid and well built - feels like it would last a lifetime of rough use.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Craftsman

good options

Hennie haynes are worth a look imho. Also a great service.

+1 for Hennie Haynes. Fantastic customer service and good selection of products.

This thread just cost me 30 quid. I have no real need for such an item but I have just bought one of those dinky little Leathermans. I'll put it in my "man bag" to make it manlier.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rano85 View Post
    This thread just cost me 30 quid. I have no real need for such an item but I have just bought one of those dinky little Leathermans. I'll put it in my "man bag" to make it manlier.
    Good choice - rthey are awesome!

Apprentice
    I'm a bit of a SAK obsessive so my vote would be for pretty much any of their medium size knives! My personal choice is the Climber. Its not got any pliers for you, but otherwise is a great size/ weight:

Slightly obsessed by the Alox knives too, so will echo the previous posters choice of the Alox cadet too! Here is my current collection. There are four cadets on the top line. Really great size to slip into bags and forget about until you need them.

Big Heinnie Haynes fan too! Great customer service!

+1 on the Allox swiss army knives.
    I've been a massive fan of the classic for years, I have one on my keyring at all times.
    But I've realised I never really use the toothpick or tweezers theses days. So I am moving to the Allox.
    I have a leather an squirt in my bike tool kit. Never been used in anger tho...