closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Suunto Core mini review

Suunto Core mini review

Before I start, the po-faced digital-phobic contingent with their wearily predictable "it's just a printed circuit in a plastic case" whinging can safely skip this thread, 'cause there's nothing for them to see here. :wink:

Right. I picked one of these up on something of a whim last week, having read many good things about Suunto, and it's a fun piece of kit.

Altimeter, barometer and compass all function well. The watch is even smart enough to detect the ride up and down in the lift in my apartment building, and automatically changes from baro to alti modes accordingly. The altimeter is accurate, the barometer has proved cannily prescient in its prediction of what the weather might do and the compass works well, even compensating for the correct local deviation from magnetic north. It also has a depth-meter, albeit limited to snorkelling depths, which I have not put to the test yet. Needless to say, all traditional timekeeping requirements are also catered for including alarm with snooze, sunrise/sunset times, dual timezone, countdown timer and stopwatch.

It's all very simple to navigate around, with intuitive menu options etc, and lots of scope for customizing the way the information is displayed on its clear dot matrix LCD.

Aesthetically, this variant (there are many) is suitably stealthy and despite its size does not draw too much attention to itself. Having said that, big watch fans will love the 50mm diameter and the 24mm strap, although - thankfully for the slim-wristed like me - it actually wears smaller than those dimensions would suggest.

A nice bonus: the battery is user-changeable, and a kit including a new cell, gasket etc is available direct from Suunto for coppers.

I'm a sucker for a gadget watch and can recommend this one to anyone similarly afflicted, or indeed anyone looking for a good A-B-C watch for outdoor activities.

Click to watch a short video promo for the watch.

How about a po-faced wearily predictable 'this should be in the Reviews section'? :lol:

How about a genuine question? :)

Does the thermometer read the air temp, or the body's temp, or something inbetween? It was always a bugbear of mine that the Casio Pathfinder series and the Tissot T-Touch both require you to remove the watch from your wristfor a while to get an accurate ambient temperature.

Nice review, and another example of why quartz has a firm place in horology, being able to do what mechanical watches either can't, (or find it difficult/ungainly to), do. :)

p.s. I have the problem Walter refers to, re temperature, with my Casio, (only complaint I have with it. :(), so I'd be interested in how the Suunto rates in this respect too.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol
    Does the thermometer read the air temp, or the body's temp, or something inbetween? It was always a bugbear of mine that the Casio Pathfinder series and the Tissot T-Touch both require you to remove the watch from your wristfor a while to get an accurate ambient temperature.
    Likewise, I'm afraid, if you want an accurate reading.

However, I have found that in general, the watch registers four or five degrees higher on the wrist than off, so its easy to make an estimate without having to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol
    Likewise, I'm afraid, if you want an accurate reading.

However, I have found that in general, the watch registers four or five degrees higher on the wrist than off, so its easy to make an estimate without having to do so.
    Interesting. I was given a tip with the Casio to 'calibrate' the temperature with the watch on the wrist against a standard thermometer. Tried it but the effect wasn't linear. :( Might be worth trying that with the Suunto if the difference is relatively constant.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Not my kind of thing but I couldn't help noticing this. Looks good.

... recently I saw somewhere that 'that strong orange' is called Optic Orange.

john
    Every watch a story.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Does it explain how it differentiates pressure changes caused by the weather, compared to changes in altitude?

It's a nice looking watch. I found the compass on the one I used to own pretty accurate, I just found it more cumbersome to use than a Silva.

Re: Suunto Core mini review

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    Before I start, the po-faced digital-phobic contingent with their wearily predictable "it's just a printed circuit in a plastic case" whinging can safely skip this thread, 'cause there's nothing for them to see here. :wink:
    Thanks for the warning. :wink:

Actually I found it quite interesting and probably a boon to outdoor types who do a lot of mountain climbing, hiking or whatever.

A bit over the top for me just to take the dog for a walk though.

Out of curiosity, how much was it?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Mine was £200. They start from £170.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

Not my kind of thing but I couldn't help noticing this. Looks good.

... recently I saw somewhere that 'that strong orange' is called Optic Orange.

john
    I love this one! Isn't Davie in for one?
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Apprentice
    £110 for a stainless steel strap?!!!

Thanks for that Seamaster, looks a nice piece of kit for the outdoor person :)

Rod

Craftsman

Me like

I like it, have a nice Protrek but don't mind one of those :thumbright:

Have just bought one of the orange strap versions but have also bought a black silicone strap with it for dull days,looking forward to having a play.

The swivelling lugs make for a very comfy bit of kit

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD
    The swivelling lugs make for a very comfy bit of kit

Errr.... that wooden thing looks like a prehistoric...

well. Nevermind :lol: :lol: :lol:
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Just found this thread while searching for info on the Core, which I have now ordered (light green). I have a triple sensor Casio for some years now; as I do a lot of biking and skiing up and down mountains I was always more than irritated by the Casio dependence on temperature while measuring altitude. I have read that this is compensated for by Suunto. All of these types of watches measure the watch temperature, to get accurate air temp you have to either take the watch off and let it measure, or make a noter of the difference your body temperature makes and mentally subtract it. The "on the wrist" compensation is there in my Casio, is, however, very erratic to say the least (useless).

I am looking forward to this one arriving, a tool watch that I really have uses for :)

PS. I agree that this excellent write-up should be moved to "Reviews" :)

I've had mine (a light black) a week or so off Boeingdriver and have to say I like it a lot. The display is very clear, and all functions are accurate once you've calibrated it. It wears very lightly despite it's 50mm size and is very comfortable too.I like the weather trend indicator and found it to be exactly as the BBC air pressure measurements.
    The 'Storm' warning is useful if your out hiking or biking too. All in all a useful tool :) The other feature I like is to be able to replace the battery easily - it takes a standard motherboard type.
    I compared this to my mates Casio Protrek 40 and he reckons it's more accurate(the Core) and prefers the dotmatrix display on the Core.

Rod

P.S. Let us know what you think of it MikeB when yours arrives :)

Congrats, on a great watch. SUNNTO is phenomenal! They pack a lot of punch for the money, and do some quite amazing things...

http://www.suunto.com/suunto/main/index.jsp

Interesting, thanks :)

For the record, I flipped this one.

It worked well enough, but I couldn't be doing with the reverse display and the inaudible alarm. And it never quite inspired confidence in the way the Casio equivalents do. Just one of those pieces I didn't bond with.

I had no difficulty moving it on, though - these Suuntos have plenty of fans.