closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Time lapse photography - any know-how?

Master

Time lapse photography - any know-how?

I have just started a (by my standards) big redevelopment project inside a big warehouse at work. I'm thinking of fixing a camera up inside the building with a wide angle lens and taking a picture every so often over the process to finish up with a short film showing the whole redevelopment in a superfast film.

Actually I have no idea how to do it. I'm looking to make a 2 minute film of something that will take from the 4th June to the 26th July to complete.

I think i can get a "sub Go Pro" device and clamp it to the steelwork inside the unit and then maybe programme it to take a shot every 5 minutes or 30 minutes (or what?), the battery might hold out for the duration or i can plug it in. Then I guess I can edit the file to take all the night time stuff out when nothing is going on.

Does anyone know if that sounds feasible or am I overlooking something obvious that could make this easy for me? Such a lot of diverse knowledge in the forum I'm hoping for some advice that might steer me in the right direction.

Thanks

Something like this should fit the bill.

http://www.handykam.com/Digital-came...ypage.tpl.html
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    that does look the job, I will check it over thanks

i bought a sony action cam of here for £75 ish and one function is time shots, not what i bought it for but great fun set it up on my son in the garden on his trampoline 1 wide angle shot every fives seconds then ran it through windows movie maker and hey presto my son looks great especially to the Benny Hill theme .

HD quality is great take a look at the sony ange not sure what they cost new.

How long will the project take? Go with 25 frames for every second of final film, 25*60*2 so you'll want 3000 images to work with. Take into account night time when your pics will be of no use!

Some nice modern cameras even have timelapse settings in them now - but you would probably need to get hold of a mains adapter.

Otherwise for lower quality but purpose-built, look at Brinno. Or, Triggertrap if you'd like to use an existing camera.

Can elaborate for hours, have worked for lobsterpictures.tv and now work for mktimelapse.com in Hamburg - fire away if you have questions!

Master
    That's great thanks Sara, so 3000 images will need to be taken during the working part of the day so lets say 8 hour days for ease. 8 weeks project excl weekends = 40 working days of 8 hours = 320 hours so 10 shots per hour sounds right and I can dispose of all the night time and weekend stuff. I'm guessing at 2 minutes being the maximum attention span for anyone watching this type of film

I should be able to find a mains point to plug it into and trail a cable up to it. If we shut the power off during the build the battery will need to carry it until it comes back on.

I will need a wide angle lens to capture the broad image. I will check out those recommendations and compare them with the Handykam.

If it works out I will post it in here for your amusement, since it will undoubtedly be amateurish compared to your standard.

Master
    Just checked and the Brinno construction cam has a 140 degree field of view so that seems like a better bet than the ProjectCam

Master
    My GoPro Black edition has this functionality as standard.

Craftsman
    You could use an intervalometer for an SLR camera.

Quote Originally Posted by steve1975i View Post
    You could use an intervalometer for an SLR camera.
    I bought a cable shutter release for my 450D which has a time lapse function. Should work with any camera that has a shutter control socket - though you may not want to leave a nice SLR camera alone on a building site for months!

Glad to be of service, sounds like you know what you're doing! It can be worth recording more pics than you need, especially if there are long periods of quiet that you want to edit out. Of course then you need to make sure you have capacity on the memory card! But you don't need to shoot in massively high resolution, seeing as 1080p (1080 vertical pixels) is usually seen as plenty for HD, before going into the crazy world of 4 or 8K :)

What makes a good timelapse excellent is the editing, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it ;)

Master
    Just ordered the Construction Cam from Brinno.

Fingers crossed I will be able to work it.
    Last edited by BRGS; 8th September 2015 at 17:40.

Master
    Job is done, now I just have to figure out how to edit it. I put the camera up for sale in the SC here if anyone wants it.

Master
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1iaSmfMItc

We finally finished the time lapse and I can say I'm happy with it. This is using the Brinno so thanks for the advice Sara (and others)

now to try to figure out how I seem to have 2 Youtube channels and I can't link them

so how do you embed Youtube content as a little screen in a post?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BRGS View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1iaSmfMItc

We finally finished the time lapse and I can say I'm happy with it. This is using the Brinno so thanks for the advice Sara (and others)

now to try to figure out how I seem to have 2 Youtube channels and I can't link them

so how do you embed Youtube content as a little screen in a post?
    That looks decent. Why I'm saying this is because we use the TLC200 PRO from Brinno and the image quality is nowhere near as good. I guess the lighting is key. In sunny conditions, it looks okay, but unfortunately that doesn't happen all that often in London

Master
    Thanks, it was all indoors so no weather to speak of, it got a lot brighter when we changed the roof lights.