closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vacation in Turkey

Master

Vacation in Turkey

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and I are taking a vacation in Turkey and wondered if anyone had any suggestions for things to do and see outside of Istanbul.

We'll be in country for 11 days, spending 4-5 in Istanbul and wanting to see another part of the country. Should we go to the Gallipoli area? To the Mediterranean Coast? To the interior and Cappadocia? We're open to any of those options and are doing our own research, but wondering what others have done that they'd recommend.

Also, any recommendations for mid-priced/inexpensive Istanbul hotels?

Many thanks!

Jay
    Last edited by alljay; 22nd May 2015 at 22:26.

Craftsman
    Some years ago i went to Oludeniz and had a great time. Done some paragliding which is a big thing there. Worth going just for that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivion View Post
    Some years ago i went to Oludeniz and had a great time. Done some paragliding which is a big thing there. Worth going just for that.
    Took the girlfriend (now wife) there some 20+ years ago just before the resort exploded. Ranks up there with the best holiday ever. Cheap hotel... ISTR it was something like less than two hundred quid each for a week. Everyday on the beach by 9am. Never did pluck up the courage (or the money) for the paragliding - one of those regrets :-(

From memory, the trip from Istanbul to Eceabat on the peninsula was about 300 km. note that in Turkey there is no place called Gallipoli so there will be no signposts if you're driving although It's straightforward to get there once you are out of Istanbul.
    We only went to visit a relatives grave so I couldn't recommend too much to do on the peninsula , although there are a number of memorials to the battles fought there. We took a ferry to Cannakale ( sp.) on the Eastern side and went to what is generally believed to be the ancient city of Troy( complete with a really crap wooden horse). This filled in a good half day and the guides were excellent.
    Returning to Istanbul was very daunting ,so if you're driving I'd recommend a sat nav. Sign posts are very difficult to understand and many people there have little or no grasp of English. Driving there is one of the craziest things you could imagine. It's like New York with Rome thrown in for good measure, absolutely crazy but you'll realise this if you get a taxi from the airport.
    Saying that, it's a stunning city with loads of things to do and the people are really friendly, especially if you need a rug.The main sights are simply wonderful. Take a ferry across the Bosphorus. Get lost in the bazaar. Get a proper Turkish bath.go and see The Blue Mosque etc. etc.
    I'll try and remember the hotel we stayed in, right in Sultanhamet with a roof terrace and a cracking view.
    They only did boiled eggs for breakfast though. That, and coffee so thick you had to have it by the slice.

Master
    Thanks for the tips, everyone.

Thegoat, thanks for the tip about driving in Turkey. We'd toyed with the idea of driving, but it might be worth hoping a train or bus between cities.

Craftsman
    Take a ferry up the straits to the mouth of the black sea.

Master
    Make sure you both do one of the mud baths great fun despite the smell of rotten eggs, O.Deniz and Fethiye both fantastic places with very friendly people never been near Istanbul, great country for exploring.