closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ever regretted a purchase ?

Master
    Bought a tag Kerium the anadigital display one spent 2 weeks trying to get the bracket to fit gave up in the end and sold it on ebay

Master
    Only regret is the £500 I spent buying a tiny raymond well dress watch long before I knew anything about watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post
    Only regret is the £500 I spent buying a tiny raymond well dress watch long before I knew anything about watches.
    Ha ha, I did exactly the same thing! Oh well, live and learn...

I came to regret buying an orange bezel Omega PO (just a bit too much for me in the long run). I eventually sourced an original black bezel and changed it out. I suppose that is really just regretting a colour choice isn't it. I suppose I have regretted more not buying mu favourites when I had the money though.
    Last edited by Ozyjohn; 10th March 2015 at 05:18.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
    Ha ha, I did exactly the same thing! Oh well, live and learn...
    I still have it actually. I had a battery change done on it and was going to throw it up on sales corner but i seriously doubt anyone on here would be interested in it.

I bought a Longines Oposition Chrono which I regretted from the first week of ownership because of the integrated bracket and the ease of damaging the brushed steel finish. Still got it though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wigan bear View Post
    I wish I'd bought the full size Omega seamaster 300m instead of the mid size, had it 15 years now as my daily wearer but since I now sometimes wear a Rolex SD it feel small when I go back to it.
    Mmm, I did this but passed it on to my wife who loves it. Bought the full size SMP a year or two later.

Master
    I regretted buying a white dialled Rolex Milgauss. It was just too immaculate to wear - I was paranoid about damaging it and it became the most expensive unworn watch in the box. I sold it for the same money as I paid for it (that's one of the strong points about Rolex) and bought a 1984 transitional Sub 16800 which is worn regularly and without any worry.

Rob

regrets, i've had a few...but then again, too few to mention.

Just a few, and not of any significant value thank goodness.

Mostly down to my tastes changing.

Not yet - but I'm a newbie; give it time (sic)!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post
    :)
    I have a £300 one that was given to me in 1993, still love it.

In fact based on your numbers you were lusting after that watch for 17 (!) years. Personally I wouldn't expect to have the same feelings after such a long time. To be honest, patience is not my strongest point when it comes to watches. There are watches I admired for long time like the Speedmaster, but when I had it that was as great as I expected.
    Since I never try on watches I learned to make judgement based on images and technical data. Fortunately this pre - judgement fails very rearly. However some watches - vintage pieces - are just breathtakingly and unexpectedly beautiful in real life.

I sold my Sinn U1 to buy a Sinn UX, I can't put my finger on it but for some reason I just didn't like the UX, its a fantastic watch just wasn't for me, I sold it and bought another U1.

Seiko spork. Brilliant watch but massive on my wrists.

And a traser extreme sport - same reason.

And a longines legend diver. Same reason.

And........

Steve

The Breitling Avenger Seawolf II I bought a couple of months ago, loved when I tried it on, and when I eventually got it, but it didn´t flick my switch for long, so I traded it. I have a 16610, a 16710 and a orange PO chrono that flick all the switches and have done since day 1, all that´s missing is the PO with black bezel and my collection is complete.

Bought a Submariner 16800 from a dealer in North Wales. A lovely watch in great condition, but i was guilty at the time of not doing enough homework on it and i heavily overpaid for it - could have got one a lot cheaper elsewhere if i had shopped around.

Eventually traded it in against a DRSD, but lost quite a bit of money on what i had paid.

The regret is my stupidness in not doing enough prep work rather than with the watch itself.

Apprentice
    I bought a Pam 441 about 18 months ago, rarely wear it as I'm more scared to scratch the DLC coating than anything else. Thought that wouldn't bother me but it kinda takes the enjoyment out of wearing the watch for me. No bother with my two Breitlings tho!

For me this was the biggest watch regret purchase yet.

Felt like the right decision at the time.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    For me this was the biggest watch regret purchase yet.

Felt like the right decision at the time.
    Do you mind if I ask why you regretted buying this?

Cheers,

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matt1974 View Post
    Do you mind if I ask why you regretted buying this?

Cheers,

Matt

Not at all Matt.

One of the ugliest watches ever made in my honest opinion.Had to try one and hated it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    Not at all Matt.

One of the ugliest watches ever made in my honest opinion.Had to try one and hated it.
    Cheers. Just bought one (BR03 Carbon Chronograph). A bit like you this is an itch I felt I had to scratch......I'll let you know if my affair is as short lived as yours ;)

Craftsman
    Do women lust after watches like men do?
    I offered to buy my wife a Cartier a year or so ago as a birthday gift. She refused stating she was happy with her cheap Armani..(I was actually relieved as I couldn't afford it anyway).

Journeyman
    Mistakes is how you learn.

This is why you work hard, so you can try different things, try different watches, to get a sense of that which really resonates with you.

Ever regretted a purchase ?

This. And what's worse is I commissioned it myself from Roy Taylor, so entirely my own cock-up. Don't get me wrong, it's a great watch, the only one out there like it, well made with excellent components that Roy fettled for ages to get right. But once I had it on my wrist, it just felt wrong.

Hey ho, like someone said, it's a learning experience.
    Apols for the rubbish iPhone pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Nin101 View Post
    This. And what's worse is I commissioned it myself from Roy Taylor, so entirely my own cock-up. Don't get me wrong, it's a great watch, the only one out there like it, well made with excellent components that Roy fettled for ages to get right. But once I had it on my wrist, it just felt wrong.

Hey ho, like someone said, it's a learning experience.
    Apols for the rubbish iPhone pic.

That looks like it is trying to be a milsub and a daytona at the same time and can't quite make its mind up.

Craftsman
    I once bought a watch because the deal I was offered was too good to pass up rather than because I really wanted the watch. Fortunately it was such a good deal that I was able to flip it for what I had paid for it!

Journeyman
    Yea, a Steinhart Triton 100ATM. Way to big, and poor quality. My first and last Steinhart ever.

Master
    I had a brief flirtation with an up and coming British watch company with aviation associations.

It's rather unlikely I'll do so again.

Quote Originally Posted by hsukirk View Post
    Way too many times but tow of the most painful ones are

- AP ROO in leather. Was way too thick & didn't feel all that special with leather strap. Hated it so much & had to get rid off following week. £3k down the drain.

- Nivrel 5 Minute repeater. Bought it for the sake of having minute repeater but it was poorly designed IMO. Difficult to operate and the sound can only be heard in absolute silence. Another £3k gone.

I'm glad this is now part time hobby.
    Me too - if that was full time for you, you'd have to retire or go bankrupt ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    A 46mm Glycine Incursore. For whatever reason I was under the impression large watches were cool. I quickly realized my mistake, and sold it at a fairly substantial loss on eBay shortly afterwards.