closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Ultimate Curry Resource

Hybrid View

Many thanks - the selection of dishes is incredible!

Master
    I'm going to start at the top and work my way through them

This Mattar Paneer recipe is getting lots of use in the C-B household at the moment.
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...se-peas-recipe
    The only modification is to use a lot less than the 275ml of water suggested towards the end - makes it into soup.

The good news is that our local dairy is now making it's own white cheese which is identical to Indian paneer.
    http://www.milchhof-mendler.de/

Master
    I made this as a challenge dish at work and needless to say - it was way too brutal to finish! If you tone dow the chillies it's actually a very tasty curry :)

The Deadly Prawn Ghost Phaal...

1. Ghee: 2 Tablespoons

2. Onion finely chopped: 1 cup

3. Garlic minced: 1 Tablespoon

4. Fresh Ginger root finely chopped: 4"x1"

5. 2 cups of fresh water prawns

9. Curry powder: 1 Tablespoon (Cumin powder: 1¼ teaspoon, Coriander powder: 1 teaspoon, Turmeric powder: ¼ teaspoon, Fenugreek seed powder: ¼ teaspoon, Dried Ginger powder: ¼ teaspoon)

10. Garam Masala: 1 teaspoon (Cinnamon powder: ¼ teaspoon, Ground Cloves: ¼ teaspoon, Ground Black pepper:¼ teaspoon, Ground Cardamom: ¼ teaspoon

11. Ground Fennel seeds: 1 teaspoon

12. Ground Cayenne pepper: 1 Tablespoon

13. Water: ¼ cup

14. Habanero peppers chopped : 6

15. Ghost chillies (Bhut Jolokia) pepper chopped: 6

16. Dried / powdered Ghost chillies (Bhut Jolokia): 2

17. Fresh Birds eye chillies: 4

18. Tomatoes (Roma type) Finely Chopped: 2 cups

Method

1. Heat Ghee in a heavy bottomed pan. Add onions. Fry till onions start to turn brown about 5 minutes. Add salt.

2. Add Garlic and ginger. Fry for about one minute

3. Add Curry powder, Garam Masala, Fennel powder, and Cayenne pepper. Fry for one minute

4. Add water. Cook untill the water is gone.. About 8 minutes.

5. Add Chillies (finely chopped) and tomatoes. Keep frying till tomatoes are soft and pulverized. About 10 minutes.

6. Add fresh king prawns

7. Fresh Coriander to finish

A musical Macher Johl

This came by way of the wife of a Bengali friend. I subsituted pollock for the Rohu fish mentioned.

Sawan Dutta (the chef) is quite hot.

Paneer Bhurji

I had this in my local Indian restaurant in Twickenham last week and decided to have a go. It's ridiculously easy.

Paneer bhurji is a delightful and spicy paneer dish. Paneer bhurji is a quick and easy recipe to make, made from crumbled paneer simmered in spicy tomato gravy. Paneer bhurji tastes great with roti, paratha, or even with regular bread! This is also makes a good stuffing for dosas or vegetable Frankie rolls.

Recipe will serve 2.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup paneer cut in small pieces
    • 1 cup tomatoes chopped
    • 1/2 cup green peas, I am using frozen green peas
    • 2 tablespoons oil
    • 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
    • 2 bay leaves
    • 1 tablespoon finely chopped green chilies
    • 2 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania)
    • 1/2 tsp chili powder
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
    • 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
    • 2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander (dhania)

Method

1. Soak the paneer in hot water with 1/4 teaspoon of salt for five minutes. Drain the water and crumbled the paneer. This process will make the paneer soft, if you are using the fresh paneer skip this step. Set aside.
    2. Heat the oil in sauce pan over medium heat; after oil is moderately hot add cumin seeds.
    3. After the seeds crack add green peas, and green chili stir for about one minute. Add tomatoes, coriander, salt, sugar and red chili powder, stir and mix well. Cover the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes till the tomatoes and peas becomes soft.
    4. Add paneer stir and cook for 1-2 minutes. Don’t cook the paneer for a long time as paneer will lose the softness. If it is too dry add few spoons of water. Lastly add chopped coriander leaves to paneer bhurji and mix.
    5. Serve paneer bhurji with rotis, plain parathas or with a toast.

Notes, if you are using the paneer bhurji for stuffing then don’t the water, bhurji should be dry in texture.
    http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/paneer-bhurji/

Apparently it's quite popular as a breakfast dish which makes sense - it has a pleasant amount of spice without being a real burner.

As someone who grew up with Indian food its very interesting reading the various stories and recipes. Most if not all do follow what I'm used to in technique and steps. I've become more interested in finding 'quicker' recipes and the one above is a good example of it. Essentially if you follow a more 'hindu' style which prohibits onions and garlic the curries can be made quite quickly. In that vein I saw this on Sunday Brunch Channel 4 and its a nice dish. The use of mustard adds a depth of flavour that's not too common:

Bengali Prawn and Pea Curry with Black Cardamom Dill Rice
    Serves 4
    Ingredients

300-400g of peeled king prawns
    2 tins chopped peeled tomato
    1 small jar Colmans English Mustard paste (use 2 tsp)
    2 green finger chilies
    2 tsp nigella seeds
    1 tsp turmeric powder
    1/2 tsp chili powder
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    Salt
    1-2 tsp brown sugar
    1 cup petit pois-frozen or fresh
    Vegetable oil
    1 bunch fresh coriander for the garnish
    1 sliced red chili for garnish
    For the rice
    2 cups Basmati white rice
    4 cups water
    4 black cardamom pods
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    1 bunch fresh dill
    Vegetable oil
    Pinch salt
    Method for the rice
    1. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a deep saucepan - add cumin seeds and cardamom and wait for them to fizz- now add the rice and toss into the oil.
    2. Add in the water and simmer until almost dry.
    3. Toss in the chopped dill and a pinch of salt and stir through.
    4. Tight lid on and heat off-Wait for 10 minutes while you cook the prawn curry
    For the prawn curry
    1. In a large wok style nonstick pan, add two tbsp oil and heat. Add nigella seed and green chili pierced.
    2. Add tomato, sugar, turmeric, chili and simmer, use water to loosen if need be but allow to caramelise and become rich.
    3. Add the mustard paste and seasoning along with the peas mix well and then add prawns and simmer for minutes until just cooked.
    4. Add a squeeze of lemon. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add a little chopped fresh coriander.
    5. Garnish with fresh coriander and red chili.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/s...dill-rice/4734

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    As someone who grew up with Indian food its very interesting reading the various stories and recipes. Most if not all do follow what I'm used to in technique and steps. I've become more interested in finding 'quicker' recipes and the one above is a good example of it. Essentially if you follow a more 'hindu' style which prohibits onions and garlic the curries can be made quite quickly. In that vein I saw this on Sunday Brunch Channel 4 and its a nice dish. The use of mustard adds a depth of flavour that's not too common:

Bengali Prawn and Pea Curry with Black Cardamom Dill Rice
    Serves 4
    Ingredients

300-400g of peeled king prawns
    2 tins chopped peeled tomato
    1 small jar Colmans English Mustard paste (use 2 tsp)
    2 green finger chilies
    2 tsp nigella seeds
    1 tsp turmeric powder
    1/2 tsp chili powder
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    Salt
    1-2 tsp brown sugar
    1 cup petit pois-frozen or fresh
    Vegetable oil
    1 bunch fresh coriander for the garnish
    1 sliced red chili for garnish
    For the rice
    2 cups Basmati white rice
    4 cups water
    4 black cardamom pods
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    1 bunch fresh dill
    Vegetable oil
    Pinch salt
    Method for the rice
    1. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a deep saucepan - add cumin seeds and cardamom and wait for them to fizz- now add the rice and toss into the oil.
    2. Add in the water and simmer until almost dry.
    3. Toss in the chopped dill and a pinch of salt and stir through.
    4. Tight lid on and heat off-Wait for 10 minutes while you cook the prawn curry
    For the prawn curry
    1. In a large wok style nonstick pan, add two tbsp oil and heat. Add nigella seed and green chili pierced.
    2. Add tomato, sugar, turmeric, chili and simmer, use water to loosen if need be but allow to caramelise and become rich.
    3. Add the mustard paste and seasoning along with the peas mix well and then add prawns and simmer for minutes until just cooked.
    4. Add a squeeze of lemon. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add a little chopped fresh coriander.
    5. Garnish with fresh coriander and red chili.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/s...dill-rice/4734

Just made this and it's very easy and lovely. Healthy too.

Thanks for the recipe 👍

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    Just made this and it's very easy and lovely. Healthy too.

Thanks for the recipe 

Glad you enjoyed it - it really is an easy recipe. I've experimented with this base further. I'm a big daal fan and so always looking for new ways to make daal. What I did was replace the nigella seeds with cumin seeds and 3/4 cook the daal before adding it into the tomato base (same time as you would the prawns) and cook through. Delicious.