closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying a watch for my 30th

Journeyman

Buying a watch for my 30th

Hello! New member here as I thought you lot seem a very knowledgeable and worthwhile source of experience.

Later on this year I'll be turning 30 (In December, I know I'm a bit early but I'm eager!) and I want to treat myself to a nice watch. Now, I've got a few in mind, namely Rolex GMT Master II, Sub or an Omega Speedmaster although nothing is set in stone. I'd particularly love a coke/pepsi variant of the former but they all seem out of my budget. The new blue/black ones also float my boat and seem to be fairly good value. Budget is probably going to top out at £6K, even that's pushing it.

I've only relatively recently been researching on this forum and another, although I know I've wanted to buy a landmark watch for a long time. What a mistake, it's addictive isn't it, already ordered myself a Vostok Ampib and a vintage Orient. Nato straps and all. Anyway, obviously not in the same league as what I'm intending for my 30th but a bit of fun nonetheless!

Perhaps I'm waffling a bit but the long and short of it is, I want a bit of advise especially regarding where one would start to look out for said watches in a safe but cost effective environment. I don't mind pre owned but must have papers e.t.c. Am I going to be paying over the odds from a high street jewellers for example? Watchfinder seems a good website and very trustworthy, are their prices fair? I know there's always eBay but I'm not totally comfortable being it's such a costly item. And obviously there are for sale forums here, but I'm not worthy enough for that just yet!

Looking forward to hearing your friendly, helpful and welcoming responses! While you're at it, what would you buy if you were going to buy in my position?!

Banned
    Ceramic sub would be a great choice.

Banned
    Welcome! December will come round very fast and by then you will have gone through fifty different options if you stick around here and join in the fun. So. Participate in the forum, learn from the many people with a wealth of knowledge and experience (avoid the few trolls btw) and save your cash until you are ready - its easy to blow quite a lot on small purchases and filler watches which can be a bit of a waste.

personally Id buy a GMT 2 with both an oyster and jubilee bracelet and all 3 bezels plus a few NATOs soone watch, many different looks but then I do prefer the older models.

Master
    At 30, you could easily find a birth year watch of good quality.
    Perhaps an old Rolex sub?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Welcome! December will come round very fast and by then you will have gone through fifty different options if you stick around here and join in the fun. So. Participate in the forum, learn from the many people with a wealth of knowledge and experience (avoid the few trolls btw) and save your cash until you are ready - its easy to blow quite a lot on small purchases and filler watches which can be a bit of a waste.

personally Id buy a GMT 2 with both an oyster and jubilee bracelet and all 3 bezels plus a few NATOs soone watch, many different looks but then I do prefer the older models.
    If you have longed for the older shape, then as Josh has stated get all the options. It's a 16710 from memory, or you can go a little older and have 16750, 16760, 16700 or even a 1675 model - they can all be had for a lot less for your budget too. Buying used you want as good condition as possible, Rolex will sell you the coke, Pepsi and other original bezel inserts for the older model if you want them.

Personally, I think I'd go for the blue black - and I'd probably buy it new. If I couldn't get a great deal from the likes of Iconic Watches, or a European dealer - or European airport (usually a good place to buy cheaper than UK retail), then I'd be looking at 0% finance and putting the cash aside to pay for it.

Id love a white gold Pepsi GMT - but it's outside your (and my) budget.

Just take your time and decide on the exact model first - then start looking, and asking more questions on where and how to pick up the best one.
    It's just a matter of time...

Check out a few grey dealers such as http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/ and http://www.swisswatchesdirect.co.uk/ Both are completely legit and have good reputations. For second hand stuff, try www.chrono24.com, although try and stick to EU based trusted dealers and double check them on google/here before you commit.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    If you have longed for the older shape, then as Josh has stated get all the options. It's a 16710 from memory, or you can go a little older and have 16750, 16760, 16700 or even a 1675 model - they can all be had for a lot less for your budget too. Buying used you want as good condition as possible, Rolex will sell you the coke, Pepsi and other original bezel inserts for the older model if you want them.

Personally, I think I'd go for the blue black - and I'd probably buy it new. If I couldn't get a great deal from the likes of Iconic Watches, or a European dealer - or European airport (usually a good place to buy cheaper than UK retail), then I'd be looking at 0% finance and putting the cash aside to pay for it.

Id love a white gold Pepsi GMT - but it's outside your (and my) budget.

Just take your time and decide on the exact model first - then start looking, and asking more questions on where and how to pick up the best one.
    I think the blue black GMTII is absolutely my first choice right now, especially as a new one is in budget. I'm just got a slight irk that I'd regret not going for, like you say a 16710 for a coke/pepsi. Roughly how much would you be looking at if you were to buy the bezels separate from Rolex?

Thanks everyone else for the other information, links and being very friendly! The more I read the more confident I am of making the correct choice, so that's nice.

Banned
    The ceramic bezels dont fit the older models and vice versa.

on the older ones a bezel insert is around £50 from memory. On the new ones its substantially more by a factor of around 8-10 iirc (been a while since I looked at prices). Im sure somebody can give you more up to date info soon.

If you wanted a Landmark watch I'd be looking at some form of 14060M. No it's not a GMT, but.. its a Sub.. that's the defining Rolex for me. And its the basically the best of vintage and modern. Heritage style case (BTW I also love the super case but I'm focussing on landmark here), plus modern sapphire crystal, Superluminova etc etc. No ceramic bezel, but either or is fine for me.

Can you get a 2 line superluminova 14060? or did the 2 liners disappear with the t25 dials?

anyway, you'll change your mind half a dozen times, but the process is fun
    Last edited by tekbow; 30th May 2015 at 19:17.

Craftsman
    Another vote for the blue/black GMT II.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Check out a few grey dealers such as http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/ and http://www.swisswatchesdirect.co.uk/ Both are completely legit and have good reputations. For second hand stuff, try www.chrono24.com, although try and stick to EU based trusted dealers and double check them on google/here before you commit.
    I didn't look at iconic but skimming swisswatch - I didn't find anything was cheaper than an AD? Is it particular brands or when you get into the many thousands where the difference cuts in?

Banned
    I wouldnt buy new. For the same 6k you could have BOTH of these off Sales Corner today (and yes its a ceramic sub)

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I didn't look at iconic but skimming swisswatch - I didn't find anything was cheaper than an AD? Is it particular brands or when you get into the many thousands where the difference cuts in?
    I haven't compared them to a dealers RRP for a while, but they always used to be cheapest for Seamasters and Tags (the squaddie BFPO tax-free watches of choice). I know plenty who have used them.

Journeyman
    submariner for me, classic timeless and easily kept for handing down, which I'll be doing for my son (when I can afford one). I used to like Seamasters but find them dated and that was only 2years ago

Journeyman
    I wouldnt buy new. For the same 6k you could have BOTH of these off Sales Corner today (and yes its a ceramic sub)

Beautiful watches both, and something to keep in mind. I suppose I should work on attaining my 50 quality posts then so that I may be allowed in there!

And yeah, everyone who is saying I'll change my mind more than once is quite true. You're already turning me onto the Sub... Quite fancy the green bezel myself.

Journeyman
    Hmm, 30th birthday. Yes an occasion worth celebrating indeed. I hope you find what you're looking for. Look high and low.

What sort of styles are you into? It definitely sounds like the dive watches. At which point it's the variations between models you'll have to pick apart.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    This is what I went for for my 30th (Sub ND)

No regrets!!!

Journeyman
    Just browsing Chrono24, seen this http://www.chrono24.com/en/rolex/sub...acturerIds=221

Seems like a fabulous deal to me, I prefer the no date myself. It's too early for me unfortunately but it's even in the next town over from me!

The first paragraph is pretty much spot-on - for a special purchase explore all options, try stuff on, learn, learn, learn. And get to know the people on here.

The second paragraph is actually quite an interesting angle - though not the one Id take as first choice - this hobby is fantastic in that respect - so many ways to go.

That's not a ceramic sub mate. Did you post the wrong pic?

Banned
    My bad, its ofc a14060M, wasn't paying attention to the ad!

My bad, its ofc a14060M, wasn't paying attention to the ad!
    Still nice though - and no biblical script on the dial - but, owning the ceramic version has made me really love the slightly bluer lume. Great proportions on the older ones though - and some bargains to be had.

Banned
    Yup. Would be hard to find a ceramic sub at 3300 though!

Master
    With a budget of £6k, I'd scour SC and get a Omega SMP 300, Speedy Pro and am Explorer II 16570, with enough left over for a Steinhart Ocean 1 'beater'

Last edited by J J Carter; 30th May 2015 at 20:52.

Yup. Would be hard to find a ceramic sub at 3300 though!
    Too true.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    With a budget of £6k, I'd scour SC and get a Omega SMP 300, Speedy Pro and am Explorer II 16570, with enough left over for a Steinhart Ocean 1 'beater'
    And a convenient picture too! A tempting proposition, of course all of those watches are worthy of any collection.

Just looking more into these Subs, the 14060M and the newest ceramic dial version. I take it there's a selection of you that own one of the two. I guess it's a matter of personal opinion mostly. But then I keep thinking of the GMTII Blue/black! It's a nice thing to have to worry about but doesn't make it any easier!

Quote Originally Posted by sugarytea View Post
    But then I keep thinking of the GMTII Blue/black! It's a nice thing to have to worry about but doesn't make it any easier!
    You really sound set on the GMT II. Just get that and you'll never be wondering "what if?". https://www.chrono24.com/en/rolex/ro...arch/index.htm ;)

And a convenient picture too! A tempting proposition, of course all of those watches are worthy of any collection.

Just looking more into these Subs, the 14060M and the newest ceramic dial version. I take it there's a selection of you that own one of the two. I guess it's a matter of personal opinion mostly. But then I keep thinking of the GMTII Blue/black! It's a nice thing to have to worry about but doesn't make it any easier!
    I have about 5 14060's in one guise or another - from 2 liner tritium to 4 liner COSC super-luminova dials - they all look and wear very similarly. I quite like the 114060 - which is the new ceramic version. The bracelet is a very good upgrade, and if you haven't been into Rolex before, then I really think the newer bracelets would have more of the feel and quality you would expect of the brand. Not that there is anything wrong with the older models - I have more of them than any other watch. I'd still be looking at the Blue/Black Rolex Ceramic GMT 116710 BLNR, although I have the new ceramic green sub and really like that too.

You can't really go wrong with any of the new models though. & while it is a little bit of a cliche, there is a lot to be said for buying your first Rolex new and being the first owner - of course you don't have to, and you might save a decent amount buying used, but looking at used GMT BLNR prices, I'd prefer to buy for the European prices and have a watch with no marks and be the first owner for the sake of the price difference on a worn/used one - if the difference in price was higher I'd change my mind. You could get a nice used standard model ceramic GMT for a huge saving on the new blue/black price, and this is a fantastic watch for the money. One thing I'd also look out for is that the crowns on the previous GMT's (and explorers) is quite small, compared to the Subs and the newer watches - it works fine and I wore one every day for around 5 years - but I prefer the look and feel of using either the Sea-Dwellers-Subs or newer model Rolex crowns.

So... Just decide on which watch - or era, older non-ceramic with older pressed steel bracelet clasps, or newer ceramic and nice very high quality bracelet - then the model, and track one down ;)

To throw a curve ball - I had one of the new 42mm Explorers in white - and it is one watch that I will buy another of, as soon as I have filled in a few other gaps - but I probably have slightly larger wrists than average and the size was almost perfect for me.

Welcome. If you want a GMT, get a GMT, and this is the best place to buy it from. Your budget is enough to get something very good indeed. You can also post a WTB (Want To Buy) without having to wait for SC access.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    +1 - agreed, one of my first prize possesions...

Journeyman
    I've been thinking about it all day and I think a Sub might be the way to go after all, probably a newer ceramic one with the more modern bracelet and something that I can be the first owner of! They just seem to be of more of a classic, not that the GMTII isn't.. Maybe?

I've got until December to keep my eye out and keep my cards close to my chest of course, so no chance of a spur of the moment decision either way!
    Last edited by sugarytea; 31st May 2015 at 19:24.

I've been thinking about it all day and I think a Sub might be the way to go after all, probably a newer ceramic one with the more modern bracelet and something that I can be the first owner of! They just seem to be of more of a classic, not that the GMTII isn't.. Maybe?

I've got until December to keep my eye out and keep my cards close to my chest of course, so no chance of a spur of the moment decision either way!
    For a present to yourself to mark a milestone birthday a new Rolex purchased from an AD with your name on the card would be nice. Yes you will pay more, but you will also have 100% peace of mind.

If you ask for advice on a forum like this you will get a lot of votes for the Submariner and Speedmaster (and for good reason) and it is clear from your posts that you are already thinking aboout Subs when you initially mentioned GMTs. If you initailly thought you'd like a GMT-Master, you will probably still want one if you buy something else, so keep looking for one would be my advice.

With six months to go you have got plenty of time to visit ADs and try on watches, so you are in a nice position. The GMT-Master you mentioned sits a bit lower on the wrist than the Submariner (Date) but has the PCLs which some people dislike.

One possibility given your timescale is to buy a pre-owned Rolex like the 16710 at a good price, to test the water, and sell it on or trade it in to fund your actual birthday purchase. This would help make sure you are comfortable wearing a watch like this, before you commit to buying new from an AD. If you decide you don't like the pre-owned Rolex you might break even, but if you buy new from an AD and then decide to flip you will take a big hit.

Enjoy the next six months!

Banned
    And between now and then ypu will decide you absolutely must must have:

a SeaDweller, no a Panerai 312. no an IWC or maybe a JLC Navy Seals. But then again a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms is the dogs! Or maybe a two tone Sub. Or a Rootbeer GMT! Then you will toy with a solid gold day date. Then back to a SD. Then a sub c or a blue black. Then Bond will come out and you will desperately want the SM300 on a nato. And the Aqua Terra. And a PO. Or all of them.

(cut out and keep this and tick em off as we go!)

Journeyman
    And between now and then ypu will decide you absolutely must must have:

a SeaDweller, no a Panerai 312. no an IWC or maybe a JLC Navy Seals. But then again a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms is the dogs! Or maybe a two tone Sub. Or a Rootbeer GMT! Then you will toy with a solid gold day date. Then back to a SD. Then a sub c or a blue black. Then Bond will come out and you will desperately want the SM300 on a nato. And the Aqua Terra. And a PO. Or all of them.

(cut out and keep this and tick em off as we go!)
    Sounds like you've been there before! And I've no doubt you're right, I've already gone from absolutely the Blue/Black GMTII, to defiantly an all black ceramic Sub! Either way though all I really know is that I do not want the date. Solid gold day date huh, not sure I can do a gold watch!

Really appreciate all the help everyone who has posted here, never expected such a fantastic response, cheers.

Banned
    Make sure to check out the friday threads, you get to see some interesting stuff there!

Why are you so certain you dont want a date?

Journeyman
    Make sure to check out the friday threads, you get to see some interesting stuff there!

Why are you so certain you dont want a date?
    I just really prefer the look without it, but having said that I am only judging this thus far on pictures. I will, of course have a look at them in the flesh before making any decision.

Journeyman
    Could get a couple of very nice ones for 6k. I bought a speedy pro for my 30th for £1400 and it was in near mint condition. Worth having a look in sales corner.

Master
    If it's more the cyclops that you don't like as opposed to the actual date, the Sea Dweller is another option. Same size as a Sub, but a little thicker.

Journeyman
    A 1680 sub would be a great all-rounder

Banned
    This is on SC at under 7k...

Master
    With a 6K budget both Sub date & GMT II BLNR are within your budget. At Iconic BLNR is priced at £6030.
    If date is not a must have look at the non date sub and save yourself some £s.

Journeyman
    That's a stunning watch but I'd be more afraid to wear it than for example a Sub/GMTII. Besides, I don't have access to the SC! You're all making it sound a really great place though and I look forward to perhaps one day having a look!

Also, a lot of people suggesting my £6K is a really good budget for this but from what I'm seeing it's not that great, only a few Black/Blue GMTII's nearly new out there for around £5K, same with ceramic subs. I really would prefer brand new from AD but one I don't think budget will stretch to this for either of those watches. I don't mind pre-owned, especially as I'd be taking less of an initial hit financially but I'm quite fussy and it really must be pretty much unmarked, otherwise it won't feel like a special occasion. Hence for this reason I'm not so keep on the older style subs either. It's quite possible what I want is asking too much but hey, it's my first Rolex might as well get it right!

I don't want to talk about the SC too much, as I'm not worthy, but what's the usual gig buying from someone on there? I've actually noticed a bunch of you are from Berkshire, do people generally meet face to face? Don't know if I'd trust posting such an item!

Master
    For £6k, I think you should be able to manage a nice threesome - Speedy Pro + Sub + Omega SMP GMT, or Speedy Pro + Rolex GMT II + Omega SMP (I'd get the 2264 quartz for the quickset and to allow a slightly greater budget for the other two.

Don't be afraid to buy used, either, especially if you can manage a face to face. I bought all of my current three (Speedy Pro + SMP 2264 + Fortis Cosmonaut LE) used; bought two face-to-face and two of the three were bought from members here.

As others have said, your desires will change; the chances of finding a keeper first time out are low, so why not focus on how you can drop the least amount of money of you decide to trade a watch on? Buying used helps, especially, as does buying wisely.

Master
    That's a stunning watch but I'd be more afraid to wear it than for example a Sub/GMTII. Besides, I don't have access to the SC! You're all making it sound a really great place though and I look forward to perhaps one day having a look!

Also, a lot of people suggesting my £6K is a really good budget for this but from what I'm seeing it's not that great, only a few Black/Blue GMTII's nearly new out there for around £5K, same with ceramic subs. I really would prefer brand new from AD but one I don't think budget will stretch to this for either of those watches. I don't mind pre-owned, especially as I'd be taking less of an initial hit financially but I'm quite fussy and it really must be pretty much unmarked, otherwise it won't feel like a special occasion. Hence for this reason I'm not so keep on the older style subs either. It's quite possible what I want is asking too much but hey, it's my first Rolex might as well get it right!

I don't want to talk about the SC too much, as I'm not worthy, but what's the usual gig buying from someone on there? I've actually noticed a bunch of you are from Berkshire, do people generally meet face to face? Don't know if I'd trust posting such an item!
    Walked past Laings in Glasgow a couple of weeks ago. They had a BLNR for £ 5950 No Sub date but Submariner on display can't remember the price. They also had explore and the date just on display all within your budget.

Banned
    People sometimes do face to face, sometimes parcel pro. Obv for 6k the insurance on special delivery isnt sufficient. Usual drill is send the cash then watch is sent. I was a bit nervous first deal I did on here for a sub but it was a doddle - as ever, do your due diligence and buy the seller as well as the watch. By the time december comes round you'll have access to sc and get the feel of the place. There are sometimes nice things there but its not a huge market place and is often cluttered with size 8 shoes!

Master
    Blog Entries
    A £6K budget will buy you a BLNR brand new (with £50 left over for another Vostok). You'll get even more change from a Sub. The only thing you'll struggle with in terms of new SS bezel Rolexes will be the 116600 at £6900. If you don't mind the thicker case, this is where my money would be going. You've got until December to find £900 :)

With £6k you have access to almost every streel Rolex Sport watch in either new or like new condition - that would include the new ceramic Sea-Dweller with a small discount - all the rest with exception of the DSSD or Yachtmasters are £6k or less.

As you said your not too fussed on the date - then the Submariner at £5k full RRP from an AD is good shout, and you could get one new from elsewhere for around £4500 or less - if you work with a grey dealer you may even get your name on the warranty card for one. The Submariner Date is £5700 new, so a fair bit more, and the GMT BLNR is around £6k from memory.

I'd be buying the new ceramic Sea-Dweller - but the GMT BLNR is a fantastic choice, and the first time Rolex has used a blue black bezel for the GMT, is a good long term ownership prospect imho - it looks a little different, but is still 100% Rolex.

Also bear in mind, if you bought used, at the right price - you could send it to Rolex and have it looking like new and with a full 2 year service warranty for piece of mind - so, as long as there are no dinks or dents etc. there is no reason to reject saving on a used watch.

But... as a first Rolex buy - I'd get a new one and the one you really want :) You can always add an additional watch later. For that reason, I'd buy as expensive as possible for the first buy new - and then add as cheap as possible a nice used version of another model that you like, at a later date ;)