closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me, I want to move to the UK

Please help me, I want to move to the UK

Good evening all.
    This will be my first post in G&D, and I better introduce myself in here as well, in case you missed my introduction here : http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ey-to-(WIS)dom

My name is Rasmus, 26 years old (tomorrow ) and I currently live in Sweden (Born and raised).
    Living with my girlfriend and our dog in an appartment.
    Both of us decided we wanted to make a huge change in our lives. We are both really tired of Sweden in many ways (especially politics) and the way Sweden is going towards it's own downfall.
    We have spoken about moving to the UK earlier, but mostly just for fun.

This time we want it to actually become reality.

We've read about a few things that you need in order to live in the UK like NI-number ,proof of address, and a job.

This is a huge step to take and it feels terrifying. Thinking about things that can go wrong, and to have to courage to make it a reality.

Neither of us have any special education, we lack university degrees. What are the chances of actually recieving a job in the UK?
    Might we as well skip this entire idea? Or can one get a decent job without education? Hard to find a flat? Which city should one pick? (We've looked at Manchester and London so far)

We would gladly live anywhere, but we have no idea where to start.

So would appreciate it alot if you had some honest advice about this entire idea.

I'm sorry in advance for all spelling and grammar mistakes.

//Rasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Khoma View Post
    Please help me, I want to move to the UK
    You're bloody crackers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    You're bloody crackers.
    With a capital C!

You have probably ( I hope ) done this already, but a quick Google pulls up quite a few places that will give advice Im sure...
    http://www.internations.org/great-br...expats/swedish

Canada or Australia, depending how you like your weather and if you can get in...

Banned
    Carcassonne is where you want to be.

Whilst many people want to (and do) move countries, the old saying "there's no
    Place like home" is true in many ways.

Leaving for s better life is great but leaving because you are disillusioned with the country you live in is a dangerous thing to do.

The best place to make a success of your life is (initially at least) to do it in an environment that you are familiar with and not in a foreign place with different chutes and languages.

Having said that, people can and do make a success of it but it's much harder than doing it at home.

Whatever you decide, think long and hard before taking the plunge.

Neither of us have any special education, we lack university degrees. What are the chances of actually recieving a job in the UK?
    Might we as well skip this entire idea? Or can one get a decent job without education? Hard to find a flat? Which city should one pick? (We've looked at Manchester and London so far)
    London is the place to go, the streets are paved with pure green, its a perfect starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    You're bloody crackers.
    As above any natives that can move out of the UK have done so in droves.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    No we have a house in LeLuc leave it alone.

Please tell me this is another wind up?

Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post
    Canada or Australia, depending how you like your weather and if you can get in...
    ^^^They would be my destinations of choice

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    London is the place to go, the streets are paved with pure green, its a perfect starting point.

Is that the same as purest green.....I see you've also also mastered the fine art of alchemy
    http://youtu.be/TkZFuKHXa7w

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Is that the same as purest green.....I see you've also also mastered the fine art of alchemy
    Indeed it is Mr FF

Small world, I used to live in the middle of nowhere somewhere between viduaban and la garde freinet
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Small world, I used to live in the middle of nowhere somewhere between viduaban and la garde freinet
    Nice part of the world and very close, LeLuc is still a small working town and in easy reach of the coast, just the thought has me smiling.

Banned

Oh yes, we have plans to move, but not until 2017.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    What work do you do now?
    If you have experience then probably best to start looking in that field and interviewing/finding work before you move.
    You can apply for a national insurance number on arrival.
    Avoid london.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    What work do you do now?
    If you have experience then probably best to start looking in that field and interviewing/finding work before you move.
    You can apply for a national insurance number on arrival.
    Avoid london.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Currently working at a supermarket similar to Tescos?

Indeed it is - we have friends who had a house in La Garde Freinet and spent many happy holidays there. God, there were some eccentric people living in or near that village!

Blog Entries
    where have you visited in the UK? What do you like??? big city, large town, small village?

Jobs with a NI should be ok to come by... Really take your time on picking a nice location

Master
    Country gone to the dogs, politics, education, employment, roads, its too expensive to live etc etc!!!!!

Sweden?
    England?
    USA?
    Australia?

This could be applied to all of the above

Take your pick, no place like home as the saying goes.

If you have a job and family and no one is trying to kill you IE: war/persecution/, then just make the most of where you are, its hard to be an immigrant.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Have you ever played the board game?

Craftsman
    I'd suggest you look into job opportunities first - we got enough welfare receivers already.

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    I'd suggest you look into job opportunities first - we got enough welfare receivers already.
    What a retarded reply.

Craftsman
    Although there will be jobs in the area you already work, you will simply be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. You need to train up at home in something like a building trade, or HGV driving. Money can be good for HGV drivers and coming from across the water you can earn alot of money doing trips across Europe. Good luck.

Yeah. In all honesty I would skip the idea.

intriguing question. I have a couple of Swedish friends living in the UK, recently immigrated and apparently very happy here. They are both professionals (medic / tech). They earn similar (high) wages to those in Sweden but pay much less tax. They keep a house in Sweden and go there every other month - the UK is a temporary home they will return to Sweden after a few years.

The UK has low entry restrictions on most forms of employment, but wages for unskilled work are comparatively low with very low job security.

The south east of the UK is economically very much more active than other locations, has far more job opportunities, but at the same time is crowded and expensive. Take a tour and see what locations appeal.

If you want better opportunity, try Canada, Australia or New Zealand

Jag önskar er lycka till

Master
    His reply is not really retarded for example to get into Australia you need to have a skill first. Having no education or skill will keep you down in most affluent countries. Starting from scratch can be done but you start at the bottom and have to learn skills or go back to school. No free rides!

Master
    A colleague of my wife (a teacher) has just jacked her job in with nothing to go to and she and her husband who is Swedish are heading to Sweden to try their luck. They have nothing to go to at present as I understand it.

Certainly in London it often feels like there is an immigrant work force who do a lot of the lower paid jobs in stores, restaurants etc. But it is in no way cheap to live compared to the wages. The larger supermarkets all have job pages on the web so you can see how much you would get paid for an equivalent job to what you now do. Eg Waitrose, Marks and Spencer, Tesco, Sainsburys. Similarly you can find the price of accomodation, food, going out etc. So if nothing else do the sums and see if it makes sense.

I have two suggestions. One is to move to the UK either to get an education or to skill up somehow. I.e., find a course or training you both can do. It's never too late and it provides a good excuse and motivation for the move. The second is to find a UK bank that opens an account for you before you move to the UK. HSBC used to it. Or use a company like firstcontact, which helps people relocating to the UK getting set up. Good luck!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I was in your position many years back, I am from Glasgow and just wanted to head south. Although I had training in a certain field, I knew and was prepared to do anything for work, this was key.

I came to London and set myself up in a house share costing £60/week, within 2 weeks I was working in House Removals to pay my way, while doing this I went to College to top up on some qualifications, and during this time I got a lucky break into the world of musical Theatre (I am a sound engineer) within two years I was in my own flat, touring the UK with shows.

the key points here,

1) just decide and go, take as much cash as possible, you also have each other that means 2 x work chances, 2 x people paying rent/bills, hostel for first week, while looking for a house share.
    2) have a clear understanding of what you want to be, you cant live on the bread line in London, it will work for a while, but you need to aspire to more money/better job.
    3) travel light, I had a back pack with two sets of jeans and around 6 T-shirts and sets of underwear, and spare shoes, it just makes everything so much easier to begin with.
    4) again, think, plan a little and go, you can always go home.

one last point, if I was to do this all again, I would head for Australia or Canada, there is just so much scope for work in these countries, and with it a very good life standard to boot.

good luck.

What a retarded reply.
    In his defense, yours is a pretty retarded question. You asked for help, he made a point.

Do you think the supermarkets aren't already fully staffed here? What do you have to offer that someone else already here doesn't?

I wouldn't expect to walk into another country and demand a job if I didn't have a skill that was hard to find there already. As far as I can make out, you offer shelf-stacking or till operating experience, right? What makes you think you will be employed above the people already resident here with addresses, bank accounts, NI numbers and so on?

Not sure why you think it's better here for work rather than in Sweden - pretty sure Sweden is reputed to be far nicer to live than the UK!

What a retarded reply.
    You are going to get a few of those on here, especially with an opening post like that. As an island mentality, we get defensive very easily.

Have you ever been to the UK? You dont even mention that. You need to come over first and check it out and see if you really want to live here. .

If you come over here to see what its like, you can turn that into a fact finding mission, see what jobs and accommodation are available , make the effort to travel to a few different areas, take some advice, talk to people, and answer most of your questions yourself

I guess from your post you speak fairly good english, so thats going to be a great help.

Geographically, I would say star clear of London, economically its better than most areas but it is hideously expensive , especially finding somewhere to live.

There are plenty of other areas / cities to choose from.

Also, as others have stated, if your reason for leaving Sweden is that politically it has gone down the drain, well , everyone thinks that about their country.

You might find some relief here as a foreigner , but believe me, those issues you dont like in Sweden are the same here .

Anyway good luck, and just go for it. You're young, you have nothing to lose , if you dont have any responsibilities in the shape of children etc and as a couple you both want to do it , it could be a great adventure for you both. Just dont expect it to be easy . I speak to a lot of foreigners who want to come here and hold the blind assumption that once they get to the UK, it is El Dorado, all their problems will be over , the streets are paved with gold etc. Its just not true.

Practically speaking the dog might be an issue. It is really going to impact on what sort of accommodation you can get in the first instance. You are probably best leaving it behind, at least until you can get established.

Dont worry about not having a degree regarding job prospects. I really dont think it makes any difference to finding work. A lot of graduates are unemployed , for many they cannot get work in their respective fields anyway . So dont worry too much about not having qualifications. Your introductory post here showed a lot of effort, thought and flair. I am sure if you can demonstrate those qualities to any prospective employer they would be interested in you. Similarly, dont worry so much about all those practical details like NI number etc you can work all that out when you get here.

So go for it, and good luck, but make sure you come over here first just to check out whether living here is really for you. Some apprehension is good, because it is a big undertaking and means you dont assume that everything is going to be easy.

happy birthday by the way, and good luck whatever your decision. no need to apologise for your grammar and spelling, it is as good as a lot of the british born posters on here !( me included )
    Last edited by seikopath; 3rd June 2015 at 10:48.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    In his defense, yours is a pretty retarded question. You asked for help, he made a point.

Do you think the supermarkets aren't already fully staffed here? What do you have to offer that someone else already here doesn't?

I wouldn't expect to walk into another country and demand a job if I didn't have a skill that was hard to find there already. As far as I can make out, you offer shelf-stacking or till operating experience, right? What makes you think you will be employed above the people already resident here with addresses, bank accounts, NI numbers and so on?

Not sure why you think it's better here for work rather than in Sweden - pretty sure Sweden is reputed to be far nicer to live than the UK!
    In what way would it be a retarded question? Please do explain? He's implying that I would be going to the UK to live on welfare money.
    Do you honestly think I'm interested in that? First of all i'm a white male, without refugee status, do you even think I would get a penny in the UK?

And to answer your question I would say my personality and my 5 year experience.

I can't believe why some are so hostile about the whole thing. I myself vote for the Swedish equivalent of UKIP, so I'm not supporting welfare tourism....
    Anyway thanks for the advice so far been loads of great comments :)
    I guess I should try get a job before I visit the UK

You are going to get a few of those on here, especially with an opening post like that. As an island mentality, we get defensive very easily.

Have you ever been to the UK? You dont even mention that. You need to come over first and check it out and see if you really want to live here. .

If you come over here to see what its like, you can turn that into a fact finding mission, see what jobs and accommodation are available , make the effort to travel to a few different areas, take some advice, talk to people, and answer most of your questions yourself

I guess from your post you speak fairly good english, so thats going to be a great help.

Geographically, I would say star clear of London, economically its better than most areas but it is hideously expensive , especially finding somewhere to live.

There are plenty of other areas / cities to choose from.

Also, as others have stated, if your reason for leaving Sweden is that politically it has gone down the drain, well , everyone thinks that about their country.

You might find some relief here as a foreigner , but believe me, those issues you dont like in Sweden are the same here .

Anyway good luck, and just go for it. You're young, you have nothing to lose , if you dont have any responsibilities in the shape of children etc and as a couple you both want to do it , it could be a great adventure for you both. Just dont expect it to be easy . I speak to a lot of foreigners who want to come here and hold the blind assumption that once they get to the UK, it is El Dorado, all their problems will be over , the streets are paved with gold etc. Its just not true.

Practically speaking the dog might be an issue. It is really going to impact on what sort of accommodation you can get in the first instance. You are probably best leaving it behind, at least until you can get established.

Dont worry about not having a degree regarding job prospects. I really dont think it makes any difference to finding work. A lot of graduates are unemployed , for many they cannot get work in their respective fields anyway . So dont worry too much about not having qualifications. Your introductory post here showed a lot of effort, thought and flair. I am sure if you can demonstrate those qualities to any prospective employer they would be interested in you. Similarly, dont worry so much about all those practical details like NI number etc you can work all that out when you get here.

So go for it, and good luck, but make sure you come over here first just to check out whether living here is really for you. Some apprehension is good, because it is a big undertaking and means you dont assume that everything is going to be easy.

happy birthday by the way, and good luck whatever your decision. no need to apologise for your grammar and spelling, it is as good as a lot of the british born posters on here !( me included )
    He was implying that I would move to the UK to live on your tax money, which clearly isn't the case...
    I've never been to the UK yet.
    Thanks alot for taking your time and actually writing down some really good advice ! Hat off for that :)
    And no my English is not good enough :)

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    I was in your position many years back, I am from Glasgow and just wanted to head south. Although I had training in a certain field, I knew and was prepared to do anything for work, this was key.

I came to London and set myself up in a house share costing £60/week, within 2 weeks I was working in House Removals to pay my way, while doing this I went to College to top up on some qualifications, and during this time I got a lucky break into the world of musical Theatre (I am a sound engineer) within two years I was in my own flat, touring the UK with shows.

the key points here,

1) just decide and go, take as much cash as possible, you also have each other that means 2 x work chances, 2 x people paying rent/bills, hostel for first week, while looking for a house share.
    2) have a clear understanding of what you want to be, you cant live on the bread line in London, it will work for a while, but you need to aspire to more money/better job.
    3) travel light, I had a back pack with two sets of jeans and around 6 T-shirts and sets of underwear, and spare shoes, it just makes everything so much easier to begin with.
    4) again, think, plan a little and go, you can always go home.

one last point, if I was to do this all again, I would head for Australia or Canada, there is just so much scope for work in these countries, and with it a very good life standard to boot.

good luck.
    Thanks alot for the helpful comment:)

Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    I have two suggestions. One is to move to the UK either to get an education or to skill up somehow. I.e., find a course or training you both can do. It's never too late and it provides a good excuse and motivation for the move. The second is to find a UK bank that opens an account for you before you move to the UK. HSBC used to it. Or use a company like firstcontact, which helps people relocating to the UK getting set up. Good luck!
    Thanks alot for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    A colleague of my wife (a teacher) has just jacked her job in with nothing to go to and she and her husband who is Swedish are heading to Sweden to try their luck. They have nothing to go to at present as I understand it.

Certainly in London it often feels like there is an immigrant work force who do a lot of the lower paid jobs in stores, restaurants etc. But it is in no way cheap to live compared to the wages. The larger supermarkets all have job pages on the web so you can see how much you would get paid for an equivalent job to what you now do. Eg Waitrose, Marks and Spencer, Tesco, Sainsburys. Similarly you can find the price of accomodation, food, going out etc. So if nothing else do the sums and see if it makes sense.
    I'm happy to take any low paid job to start with.
    Thanks alot for the help :)

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    intriguing question. I have a couple of Swedish friends living in the UK, recently immigrated and apparently very happy here. They are both professionals (medic / tech). They earn similar (high) wages to those in Sweden but pay much less tax. They keep a house in Sweden and go there every other month - the UK is a temporary home they will return to Sweden after a few years.

The UK has low entry restrictions on most forms of employment, but wages for unskilled work are comparatively low with very low job security.

The south east of the UK is economically very much more active than other locations, has far more job opportunities, but at the same time is crowded and expensive. Take a tour and see what locations appeal.

If you want better opportunity, try Canada, Australia or New Zealand

Jag önskar er lycka till
    Tack så mycket :)
    Canada and Australia is really hard to enter I've heard. Hard to stay for longer than a couple of months I've heard? And I also like the weather, culture and history of the UK more:)

[

Blog Entries
    Give the guy a break!

They are Always asking for people to push the shopping trollies back in their place, I could have stayed in Falmouth if I wanted.

But, BTW, what were you implying with the i'm a white male, without refugee status, do you even think I would get a penny in the UK remark? Do you think you should get a penny?

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I've not read all this thread, but aren't Sweden in the EU?

Doesn't that mean the OP can just turn up and look for a job?

Supermarkets 'round here are always looking for people, so you could probably find some work whilst looking for something better.

M

Craftsman
    I'd suggest coming over here for holidays first to see if you really like it and travel around the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Give the guy a break!

They are Always asking for people to push the shopping trollies back in their place, I could have stayed in Falmouth if I wanted.

But, BTW, what were you implying with the i'm a white male, without refugee status, do you even think I would get a penny in the UK remark? Do you think you should get a penny?

Daddel.
    What I meant was that unless you are middle eastern refugee you don't recieve special care and welfare money, hence why I got annoyed by the reply implying I was after welfare money. ..

What I meant was that unless you are middle eastern refugee you don't recieve special care and welfare money
    Not exactly true - but as far as rabid generalisations go , pretty solid although far from original.

Not exactly true - but as far as rabid generalisations go , pretty solid although far from original.
    He'll fit right in then...

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    He'll fit right in then...

M
    Actually he may have a point, whilst we don't need to import any racially pure white 'welfare scroungers ' ( because we seem to have plenty of our own) maybe we could do with some more skilled workers such as doctors and nurses, etc.

What I meant was that unless you are middle eastern refugee you don't recieve special care and welfare money, hence why I got annoyed by the reply implying I was after welfare money. ..
    Those refugees are living it up with all their "special care and welfare money". I wish I was a refugee, it sounds amazing!

As said above, if your really serious; come over and do some research, travel around a bit. Big cities are not nice places in so many areas, but that's just my opinion of too many of them. I always had plenty of work in Bristol, and enjoyed my time there. It has a good feel, for me anyhow.
    If you had a job lined up beforehand, that's got to be the way to go I would have thought.
    Coastal areas would have more seasonal work, the hotels always need staff ( its hotel central here in North Wales.) Do you have a driving licence, check out if it's transferable to the UK, and brush up on the highway code, not that many people who live here have obviously read it.

Your both youngsters (unlike many of the fossils around here ) It could be good experience for you, stay a few years, see how it works out. Good luck to you both.

By the way, I'd leave off highlighting racial groups for this and that around here, or 'the pack animals' will gleefully descend on you, just friendly advice...
    Last edited by sestrel; 3rd June 2015 at 14:22.

Quote Originally Posted by JeppeRober View Post
    Those refugees are living it up with all their "special care and welfare money". I wish I was a refugee, it sounds amazing!
    Sorry to shatter your illusions but the majority of the so called refugees are not even real refugees.

This thread escalated quickly....
    I was only trying to defend myself when some thought my intentions were to move to the UK and live on welfare money...
    First of all I've never heard of anyone from Sweden that would resign from their current job in order to move to England and live on welfare money
    Second thing is, that you surely need to be either born in England or a refugee in order to be eligible for those welfare money (Which I'm not interested in anyway since I'm right wing myself)
    My intention is to move to England and get a job...Sorry for not being PC enough :D

Second thing is, that you surely need to be either born in England or a refugee in order to be eligible for those welfare money
    Where are you getting your facts from?

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    As said above, if your really serious; come over and do some research, travel around a bit. Big cities are not nice places in so many areas, but that's just my opinion of too many of them. I always had plenty of work in Bristol, and enjoyed my time there. It has a good feel, for me anyhow.
    If you had a job lined up beforehand, that's got to be the way to go I would have thought.
    Coastal areas would have more seasonal work, the hotels always need staff ( its hotel central here in North Wales.) Do you have a driving licence, check out if it's transferable to the UK, and brush up on the highway code, not that many people who live here have obviously read it.

Your both youngsters (unlike many of the fossils around here ) It could be good experience for you, stay a few years, see how it works out. Good luck to you both.

By the way, I'd leave off highlighting racial groups for this and that around here, or 'the pack animals' will gleefully descend on you, just friendly advice...
    Thanks alot for the constructive advice (is that correct?)

Might be the language , hard to express myself. The point being me and my girlfriend want to WORK nothing else...Hence why I thought the accusations were unnecessary :=)

Sorry to shatter your illusions but the majority of the so called refugees are not even real refugees.
    According to you, or any credible sources? Genuine question, as I hear many people say this with no documentation what so ever. There are more refugees right now than any time since WWII, but I guess the majority of these are faking it.

If you have not explored the planet very extensively, then I would highly recommend it whilst you are still young. It gives you an insight into different cultures and lifestyles that can really change your perception of what is important, where home is and where you want to be. You could well find that your niche is in Asia, Africa or South America rather that the more 'Westernized' continents already mentioned. It's a beautiful big old world out there.

Where are you getting your facts from?
    Seemed like logics....Pretty flawed if anyone could move to another country and use said country's tax money without uhm living up to a certain qualification?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JeppeRober View Post
    According to you, or any credible sources? Genuine question, as I hear many people say this with no documentation what so ever.
    PM me, don't want to get flamed here for stating facts :) Difference between an economical refugee and one that flees terror, war etc...
    Last edited by Khoma; 3rd June 2015 at 14:40.

Blog Entries
    Well, you could try for the refugee status in the UK, maybe they have sympathy for someone fleeing from daily torture with ABBA music IKEA furniture and Swedish meatballs................

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!