closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: First Drive in my Porsche 914! Can you see me smile?

Blog Entries

First Drive in my Porsche 914! Can you see me smile?

As per title: I took my 914 out for the first time. And, my first drive in a 914. In fact in any Porsche! And... I love it!

Over the last few months, we (the guys at the workshop and I) have been busy rebuilding the engine. It started as a small job - just replacing the pushrod tube seals... it ended as a full fletch: 'the engine is out and why not tackle all?'- job.

In the mean time, we searched high and low for rust. And, due to the fact that the car was treated with ML Tectyl (A Swedish wax brand) when it was new, all we had to do was touching up some paint. (3M stone chip coating + a respray). Oh well, I've written about it all.

So, after dinner, I took my daily driver down to the workshop and pulled the car out for a spin. A short spin. The tires on the rims are old, very old... the production date was 1977! 38 y/o tires indeed. The new Vredesteins will arrive tomorrow.

The car runs fine. Some hesitation at low speed, but I don't know how old the fuel in the tank really is! New fuel does cure this sort of problems when I pull my Triumph TR out of hibernation. So there's a chance that it will be gone with new fuel. But the sound when hitting the >4K rpm!

Two questions after the 10 mile trip: the engine temp gauge works - more or less. The needle lifts starts to move, but stops at the very beginning of the scale.
    Second, the car needs to be 'pointed': steering is not slack, I think. The front end feel light and wanders (is that the correct phrase in English?) a little. Perhaps fresh tires will cure this. Must add that we've lowered the front end about 1 - 1.5". So perhaps a wheel alignement will also help.

And then the pics, taken in front of the workshop, only minutes after the trip!

Since the paint looks good from a 20 ft distance, I am considering leaving the hub caps off, giving the car a more or less Outlaw look. What do you guys think?

Menno

Banned
    You got a Porsche? Why didnt you tell us before?

Looking good!

Cheers,

Plug

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    You got a Porsche? Why didnt you tell us before?
    All it needs now is a Ruf sticker on the boot!

That 914 looks great, I'd be tempted to leave it as it is. Is there any chance of some in-car footage?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    All it needs now is a Ruf sticker on the boot!

That 914 looks great, I'd be tempted to leave it as it is. Is there any chance of some in-car footage?
    My son has a GoPro on his dinghy. So with the aid of a GoPro suction cup, it must be possible, to engineer something. The sound of the Boxer VW engine is very interesting. I didn't go beyond the 4K rpm mark (new parts engine), from there there's still 1500 rpm left! Will be interesting!

Menno

Looks great! I love the Porsche decals you can get on the side , are you going to put any on?

Looks great! I would love to drive one of these, perfect for UK roads I think!

Craftsman
    Classic! Love the look.

Congrats!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Looks great! I love the Porsche decals you can get on the side , are you going to put any on?
    Yes, I like them too. There's this wonderful website with a 914 configurator. Keeps me off the street, so to speak: http://www.eggscollective.org/nathan...igurator_j.swf

Near my home, there's a guy who can design and print large decals. I love the look of an orange decal. As far as I know, never offered by Porsche. Combined with orange wheels and partly orange bumpers, it will have a Carrera-ish look! But, this is an all original 914. I don't think I should go the 'modding' route with this one.

My wife planted the seed of doubt. She asked: "What will be the profit when you sell it? And why don't you buy a Rolex 16750 with the profit you've made?" I am sure you can see the seed of doubt here...

Menno

That's a great site just had a play myself! Do not sell that, even for a watch!

That cars coool

Way cool

Apprentice
    A great car and a good investment for the future. Try not to wander too far from original specification. I believe the type was raced in class at Le Mans back in the day.

Apprentice

Check this out.

Journeyman
    Cracking!

Craftsman
    Beautiful! :)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Congratulations!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I am sure you can see the seed of doubt here...

Menno
    No I do not.

I would restore the ride hight as there are nooo advantages and many drawbacks in lowering if you don´t beef up the springing/damping.
    Indeed take the hub caps off but do NOT put any Porsche stickers on. It might do with somthing Manga if your driving style is flogging it but otherwise leave it as is.

Gréat little fun car you have there. When you sort out the ride hight/alligment (yes new rubber willbe instrumental in transforming it) it handles véry well and the engine/box are as reliable as it comes. So grab that fun at the horns and play!
    I would lóve to own and ride that car here in the mountains!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grrv8 View Post
    A great car and a good investment for the future.
    Oh come ón; these things were méant to be DRÍVEN worryfree.
    It will stay in one piece so just push/rev it Menno.

Beautiful.

I feel pangs of regret when I see these. A few years ago, there were loads of 914s, 912s and even 911SCs for reasonable money.

Not so now. At least, not in the home counties.

Blog Entries
    Test drive #2 yesterday evening. New tyres & a new master cylinder transformed the handling of the car dramaticially! Positively! Steering and braking is now something you can expect from a Porsche. A trip down B roads took my to one of the last petrol filling stations where an employee comes rushing outside to fill the tank for you! Filling the 914 is an expedition as you can see on the pic.

I filled the car up with 98 RON and the engine really likes that! A 10 mile trip on the motorway was another nice experience: the car can easily cope with modern day traffic. 130 km/hr is 3200 RPM. One thing I need get used to is the dog-leg shift pattern. First gear is not upper left, but lower left, second gear is up and to the middle. Like an old Citroen 2CV. But the 914 has a 5 speed box.

Finally a pic of the unmolested interior. After wiping off 43 years of dust and grime, this is the result:

Have a great weekend! I am sure I will have one!

Menno

Journeyman
    Great car.

Many years ago I had a '69 911T and loved every minute driving it.

Congrats and enjoy your "Driving in it's purest form"

Craftsman

Fanbloodytastic! Proof that you don't need huge horsepower to have fun.

Lovely car and must be great fun to drive - the dog leg shift shows its track intentions / pedigree although I expect what is great on the track is rather awkward on the road - enjoy it is a lovely car!

Absolutely gorgeous car, Menno. I wouldn't tinker too much as it looks perfect as it is. Certainly leave those hubcaps on.

It's a beauty! Me? I'd leave as is, hub caps on, no adornment.
    F.T.F.A.

Journeyman
    She is lovely, always fancied a Porsche speedster myself

Master
    And just in time for the summer, great little car.

Master
    One of, if not, my all time favourite Porsche. It's just superb - love it. Enjoy it, I'm sure you will.

That is bloody lovely! Hope you enjoy it.